PDA

View Full Version : Would you...?

Rikens
06-12-2007, 01:17
My first thread! Wooo!

Anyhow, would you let someone take a Landraider with one set of twin-linked lascannons on the front-hull mount, and two sets of twin-linked heavy bolters on the sponson mounts for the same cost as a regular Land Raider? Why, why not, or what sort of conditions would you set?

ctsteel
06-12-2007, 01:39
for the same points cost it sounds a bit overpowered, since your effectively putting a normal LR and a prometheus model together in one, extra firepower for no cost to the player. If I follow the loadout correctly the tank will have two lascannon shots and 12 heavy bolter shots, all twinlinked. thats pretty nasty.

since we're talking house rule territory, maybe make it so that each round it can only fire one set of weapons or the other, which should help to prevent it being a single handed destroyer of squads.

edit: no I didn't follow the loadout correctly (this is what happens when I read in a hurry at work :p), I just realise what you've meant by front mount. Its sort of like a prometheus with lascannon then instead of the extra command abilities? is still a little powerful for the points as you've now got a vehicle that can take on armour and squads at once. but not as bad as I was thinking originally.

so perhaps you could limit the lascannon to only a few rounds of shooting (to represent the reduced battery capacity taken up by the bolters and their ammo). or on a roll/re-roll of a 1 to hit the battery is exhausted, something like that.

Wraithbored
06-12-2007, 01:44
Just use VDR mate and calculate the points, nobody should cause problems after that. ;)

knighthawke70
06-12-2007, 01:46
it sounds like straight cheese to me. but i would like to see it in action though.

Imperialis_Dominatus
06-12-2007, 03:12
Don't sound like cheese to me, as the Land Raider is overpowered as is. I'd let you.

Arkzein
06-12-2007, 03:42
That's just swapping one set of twin lascanons for a set of twin heavy bolters? I'd have no problem with it, but then I play a power armoured force. Nasty if he was your regular opponent and you played a swarm style force for example. (Likely still have no problem with it then either though personally :))

gLOBS
06-12-2007, 04:05
Wow if LR had this config they would be much more useful.

vogelfrei
06-12-2007, 05:09
To sum things up. The classic Landraider comes with two lascans and some boltery stuff.
Your Landraider will have one lascanonn less, but 6 heavy boltershots. Is that right?

Why would anyone call that cheese or denying you the possibility of illumination, that a Landraider Crusader would serve you better?

MarkNorfolk
06-12-2007, 05:15
It does feel like the Land Raider is more effective, what with the Machine Spirit and all. Maybe lose the troop capacity.

Cheers
Mark

shabbadoo
06-12-2007, 06:09
I would not care about the configuration as it lessens the power of the vehicle ever so slightly.

By the way, if you start another thread make sure the title actually gives at least a remote idea of what the thread is about. You'll find that people who actually are interested in Space Marines would be more drawn to your thread if it was titled "Would you allow variant Land Raider weapons?" or something similar. Titles such as "Would you...?" actually tend to irritate most people and so they ignore them.

The Orange
06-12-2007, 06:57
I'd be fine with trying it out, though in a way it does make the LR more useful. After all how often do you sit around to use both LC?

Gannon
06-12-2007, 07:03
Just use VDR mate and calculate the points, nobody should cause problems after that. ;)

My thoughts exactly. No trouble would come out of it as they're published rules then. If it's house rules it's entirely up to you. I'd allow it but half the troop capacity and add 30 points to the cost of the model.

lord_blackfang
06-12-2007, 08:58
One main weapon and two defensive weapons is significantly better than two main weapons and one defensive weapon, especially on a vehicle that is likely to move a lot.

srg.cutter
06-12-2007, 11:45
id allow it if they payed the appropriate price for the extra fire power

silashand
06-12-2007, 12:52
From the description it sounds like it's not just a one-for-one swap. It sounds like it's using the Prometheus kit with *two* twin-linked HBs on each sponson in addition to the twin-linked lascannon on the hull. If that's the case I think it's a bit undercosted seeing as that's 12 re-rollable HB shots plus the lascannon. As someone else suggested, I'd recommend just using VDR to determine the cost and go from there. I know some people don't like VDR, but as long as people are making decent vehicles and not some 200-bolter monstrosity I think it works fine.

Cheers, Gary

Wyatt
06-12-2007, 12:59
Even better, how about an all-bolter Terminus?

TL hull heavy bolter on the front, TL sponson heavy bolters on the sides, plus two predator heavy bolter sponsons.

Misanthrope
06-12-2007, 13:00
Where are you guys getting the 12 re-rollable HB shots? It has two twin-linked HB's -- each shooting 3 re-rollable shots, for a total of 6 re-rollables, not 12...

silashand
06-12-2007, 13:45
The Prometheus has two twin-linked HBs on *each* side. I know, I have the kit from FW. The OPs description says "two sets of twin-linked heavy bolters on the sponson mounts." I interpret that to be two sets on each sponson, not two HBs per sponson. If I'm wrong, so be it, but that's how it comes across to me.

Cheers, Gary

Imperialis_Dominatus
06-12-2007, 21:20
Then we need a clarifying post from the OP. As I've interpreted it, it's twin link heavy bolter on each sponson, and a twin link lascannon in the hull. Is that right?

Culven
06-12-2007, 22:01
If the OP meant one hull mounted Twin-Linked Lascannon and two sponsons, each with a Twin-Linked Heavy Bolter, I wouldn't have any problem with it being the same cost as a normal Land Raider (though VDR shows it at about 290 points, which is less than a VDR Standard Land Raider.