PDA

View Full Version : In the far future there is "Will Smith"?

Cadian 122nd
06-12-2007, 03:54
I heard somewhere that Will Smith is a warhammer 40K player. Does anyone have any more info on this? I recall that in the film "Enemy of the State" there allegedly is an issue of White Dwarf that he had on set in one of the scenes. With the ammount of sci-fi action adventure films he is involved in, I wouldnt be suprised if he was a closet nerd.

I apologize if this belongs in some other forum, but I felt id get more feedback here. And im not about to go running off to a Will Smith fan club message board, what do you think I am, some kind of nerd :rolleyes:

Seth the Dark
06-12-2007, 04:13
I hope not. I would quit right now if that was true.

Imperialis_Dominatus
06-12-2007, 04:16
I hope not. I would quit right now if that was true.

Not a fan of Will Smith?

More news: Apparently so does Robin Williams, and he plays Chaos. Best reason ever to keep playing them.

Link (http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/134279.page).

natedogg710
06-12-2007, 04:17
I'm not sure if Will Smith plays, but I have heard that both Robin Williams and Vin Diesel play 40k. I'm not absolutely sure that they do, but I have heard many rumors about it (for what it's worth).

dodgethis
06-12-2007, 04:47
In before Fresh Prince meme.

Tourge
06-12-2007, 05:01

aw hell nah.

Vishok
06-12-2007, 05:09
Now this is a story all about how
I like to move my models aroun'

Fresh Prince of 40k

Preston
06-12-2007, 05:32
Vin Diesel play(ed) D&D, he wrote the introduction for the 30 years of D&D book they released a few years back.

As to who plays what now...well, if Vin or Will or any of them other famous types want to take on my 'nids, necrons, or chaos (or Cryx or LoEB from PP) I'm down. More power to 'em

marneus54
06-12-2007, 05:49
That'd be sweet if they actually played. My friends say that no old and cool people play 40k well guess what.

"dude your gonna play this game forever and your wasting time and money! No one cool plays this game!"
"yeah I guess your right...Hey on another note your a Will Smith fan right?"
"Hell yeah I will marry that dude, no homo."
"He plays 40k! Suck it!, no homo"
Direct convo of me and my friend.

AbyssRaven
06-12-2007, 05:50
Who cares really?
They are just people. Im just glad to hear about more people enjoying 40k

vipernyc
06-12-2007, 06:05
Necrons? AH, HELL NA.

Ward.
06-12-2007, 06:40
Who cares really?
They are just people. Im just glad to hear about more people enjoying 40k

People care because it gives them a reply to someone that seeks to rag on them for playing warhammer. Something like the chess club captain (As here in south aus no one gets all that hung up about what you do in your past time) tries to compare his past time with yours, then you are able to counter his accusation of nerdom by pointing out some of the rather strange chess players and the fact that famous people play warhammer as well. ( I always heard robin played orks, makes a bit of sense when you think about it)

Darnok
06-12-2007, 08:12
Robin Williams playing 40K seems to be pretty "common knowledge". I haven't heard about Will Smith or Vin Diesel before on that topic. But why not? It is a hobby as any other hobby, and celebrities need to relax as any other people do.

Oh, and William Shatner plays WoW. Because a TV ad said so.

SV_Harlequin
06-12-2007, 08:26
A hell of a lot of famopus people play wargames and quite a few play GW games, there's even a site on the Interweb listing who plays/played what.

Jedi152
06-12-2007, 08:36
There are several threads posted on this every month.

Gaming urban legends have been going around about Robin Williams, Vin Diesel, Marilyn Manson, Will Smith and Billy Crystal since the dawn of the interwebs.

CaptainSenioris
06-12-2007, 09:03
And I thought this was gonna be a thread about Will Smith in 40k...

If I ever imagined Robin Williams playing orks I think he'd spend the entire time putting on voices for everything... that'd be awesome.

Stingray_tm
06-12-2007, 09:29
Now that would be a reason for me, to visit a GW store again.

Robin Williams: "Hey, Stingray. Wanna play 40K? 2 vs. 2? Vin Diesel plays Nids, so he can be on your team. Will Smith is on mine."

srg.cutter
06-12-2007, 11:49
i dont know bout will smith but im sure maralin manson played D&D in his day

RampagingRavener
06-12-2007, 12:32

Now this is the story, all about how
My Land Raider got flipped, turned upside down.
And I'd like to take a minute, just sitting right there
To tell you how I became the Commander of a town called Belair.

In the west of Macragge, born and raised
The battlefeild was where I spent most of my days
Chilling out, maxin', relaxin' all cool
And shooting some Tyranids, outside the school

When a couple of Hive Ships, who were up to no good
Started makin' trouble in my neighborhood
I lost one little world, and the Chapter Master got scared
And said "We're shipping you out to train the PDF on Belair"

I whistled for a Rhino and when it came near
The licence plate said "Ave Imperator" and there were eagles in the mirror
If anything I could say this Rhino was rare
But I thought "ah, forget it", and was shipped to Belair.

I pulled up to a Barracks about seven or eight
And recited to the driver the Emperor's prayer
Looked at the training-grounds, I was finally there
To train the PDF, in a town called Belair.

No, it isn't perfect, sue me. :p

Quentin
06-12-2007, 12:40
LOL, nice lyric re-write RR!

pookie
06-12-2007, 12:47
well its not Will Smith as such but his Kid - towards the end of the film his son can be seen holding a copy of the Games day leaflet. wouldnt say that meant he played any War Game, but maybe his kid does or just maybe it was left out just to be used in a scene.

Misanthrope
06-12-2007, 12:57
Lol RR that's pretty close to being perfect :)

Deus Mechanicus
06-12-2007, 16:05
TBH though just because it was seen in one of the movies doesn't really say much in itself (it could in fact be the prop guys playing wh lol)

Swifty
06-12-2007, 16:23
brian may from queen collects aswell and hes got over a chapter of marines!

Grazzy
06-12-2007, 17:12
Im not surpried some of these people play 40k. Its just a game, anyone could enjoy it.

synapse
06-12-2007, 17:19
yeahs theres pics of brian may in really old WD's thatsay he sculpts minis and makes models. (or made, i think is a more accurate term now probably)

different13
06-12-2007, 19:10
That'd be sweet if they actually played. My friends say that no old and cool people play 40k well guess what.

"dude your gonna play this game forever and your wasting time and money! No one cool plays this game!"
"yeah I guess your right...Hey on another note your a Will Smith fan right?"
"Hell yeah I will marry that dude, no homo."
"He plays 40k! Suck it!, no homo"
Direct convo of me and my friend.

lol, what is with this "no homo" thing? It's all over the place on youtube..

As for Robin Williams doing voices, this clearly would be the greatest thing ever. I can even imagine GW producing stop-motion adverts using his voices..

Mad Jack Deacon
06-12-2007, 20:55
The deal with the WD in "Enemy of the State" is that they were filming in Washington D.C. and there was a GW store right down the street. A props guy picked up the issue for Will's kid in the movie to read. Having worked for GW in the Baltimore HQ, I've never heard tell of Will Smith playing GW games, but I've heard that story over and over from one of the store's former staff members.

As for Billy Crystal and Robin Williams, a friend of mine who worked for GW in (IIRC) the old Ventura store tells stories of the store closing and letting both play after hours so folks wouldn't bug them. Is the story true? Maybe.

As for the claims that hearing Robin Williams do voices for all the models would be cool? I think not. Maybe back in the late 80's when he was funny, foul, and strung out on cocaine, but not the lame "Patch Adams" RW of today.

Melchiah
06-12-2007, 21:10
I thought this was a thread for "I Am Legand":confused:

Vic
06-12-2007, 21:36
If Will Smith did play, that would be uber cool! Just for celebrity sake alone!!

Archaon
06-12-2007, 21:38
I once saw a picture of Robin Williams standing in a GW together with some staff for a picture.. he wore short khakis and a darker shirt if i can remember so that "rumor" is pretty much true that he plays GW games.

Another rumor has it that he played together with Billy Crystal.. if that's true i so wished to be there.. two masters at improv comedy :D

I don't know if Vin Diesel played GW games but it's proven that he was an avid D&D gamer.

As to Will Smith.. rumor has it that he played 40K with Tommy Lee Jones while filming MiB though i have no proof.

I wouldn't be much surprised.. it is a cool game and once people get past the image of adults playing with toys they see all the varied aspects though i can't see the stars really sitting down for hours on end to assemble and paint their miniatures.

They have the money so i'd assume they would pay to have their army painted and possibly pay someone to build them a cool gaming table.

DarkSoldier
06-12-2007, 22:20
brian may from queen collects aswell and hes got over a chapter of marines!That is awesome. My head may just explode from hearing this piece of awesome trivia about one of my favourite bands.

Oop, there it goes... *POP*

Nazguire
06-12-2007, 22:21

I love you.

From Shadows
06-12-2007, 22:22
Also heard Dave Chappele plays GW games,but do not know if it is true.As far as robin i heard he plays orks,and billy crystal is also to be a GW player,and fields a eldar army.

Winimperial
07-12-2007, 01:37
Will Smith does, or has at some point played Warhammer, I believe. Him and Tom Lee Jones were rumoured to play the game quite a few times on the set of MIB a few times.

violenceha
07-12-2007, 01:52
To be honest I'd be more impressed to hear someone's grandmother is a rabid 40k fan. Getting your **** handed to you by someone's nan at the local GW, that would be awesome.

SylverClaw
07-12-2007, 12:20
Just appearing from lurking because I was excited (I'm nerdy) to see that boxer Ricky Hatton seems to be a GW fan in some fashion. On the news during the face-off he was quite clearly wearing a t-shirt with an Imperial Eagle on it.

As pictured here:

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/boxing/2007-12-06-hatton-pressure_N.htm?csp=34

Does he actually play? No clue, but it amuses me to think he winds down from a match by kicking the snot out of someone in 40k.

THE CHIEF
07-12-2007, 12:33
Where did the post with the rules for using a Will Smith in 40k go? That was brilliant! My post has gone too - presumably because I quoted it?

Gazak Blacktoof
07-12-2007, 12:42

Love it.

Are you sure that the boxer is wearing a 40K imperial eagle? Could be anything, well not anything...

Stormtrooper
07-12-2007, 13:15
Hatton's definately not wearing an aquilla.

as to who thinks you're a nerd................ Who Cares? I love my hobby.....

RevEv
07-12-2007, 13:22
re Enemy of the State.... in the final scene of Will Smith and family he and his son are looking at a GW publication (the GD logo is clear to see if you don't blink and miss it). Rumour has it that it was a publication that was just lying around on set, there is no clear or direct linkage to Mr Smith.

blongbling
07-12-2007, 13:32
there are lots of famous people that play, i remember the story of when U2 walked into Plaza and got a load of stuff......they are only normal people too.....there was even an article in WD eons ago when Sonny from GW Hong Kong flew out to Brunei to play games with the Sultan of Brunei's son

Agrip. Varenus Denter
07-12-2007, 17:22
I'd love to see some actual proof of all of these celebrities that play. I remember the Brian May article well... but have never had a shred of confirmation as to who else really does. It's fun to speculate... sure...

Brandir
07-12-2007, 19:56
This issue crops up again and again. Not complaining as it is still fun!

Brian May was pictured in a WD many years ago; he had a tour of the factory. Can't remember if it was because his son was a fan or he was.

Many famous may have played various wargames in their childhood but as it is considered a bit geeky I doubt that many would admit to this.

reds8n
07-12-2007, 20:35
They not really famous as such but WD used to mention bands like Sabbat & Batfish etc all playing.

Mad Jack Deacon
07-12-2007, 23:20
To be honest I'd be more impressed to hear someone's grandmother is a rabid 40k fan. Getting your **** handed to you by someone's nan at the local GW, that would be awesome.

I remember when I lived in Baltimore, worked at the GWUSHQ, and was working a Games Day. I'm walking through the GT section, taking a quick gander at some of the armies and their paint jobs. I look at the one table and there's this adorable, little 65 y/o woman (silver hair and all) running 1850 points of Blood Angels.

I look down at the board and realize that not only is she playing the BA right (aggressive and blood-thirsty), she's putting a serious hurting on her opponent. All of his vehicles were dead and smoking, and the majority of his troops were fleeing or dead. I will never forget that so long as I'm in the hobby.

dodicula
08-12-2007, 02:17
From one of eminem's songs...

Will Smith don't gotta cheat with his army
Well I do
So !@#$ him and
!@#$ you too

dodicula
08-12-2007, 02:19
there are lots of famous people that play, i remember the story of when U2 walked into Plaza and got a load of stuff......they are only normal people too.....there was even an article in WD eons ago when Sonny from GW Hong Kong flew out to Brunei to play games with the Sultan of Brunei's son

Yep even rock stars need something to do between coke fueled threesomes with super-models

Winimperial
08-12-2007, 03:03
Hatton is not wearing an aquila. I saw the press conference on HBO myself. Hes wearing a shirt that says "Denim Affliction" in very gothic writing. The eagle looks like an aquila on on the wings, but the head is completely different.

Cirrus the Blue
08-12-2007, 04:49
Not a fan of Will Smith?

More news: Apparently so does Robin Williams, and he plays Chaos. Best reason ever to keep playing them.

Link (http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/134279.page).

Gwar does, too! :D I knew a manager who had Robin Williams in his shop out West, and later on - Gwar at our local shop how many years ago. Also, Vin Deisel apparently plays D&D. You'd be surprised at how many celebrities play 'geeky' sorts of games. They can sure as frick afford them easy enough! hahaha :p

And actual HARD PROOF that at least Gwar plays mini games and Vin Deisel plays D&D for those who 'need' it; Deisel was geeking out when he was on Jay Leno or David Letterman (forget which) a few years ago about his campaign and it was funny as heck, and Gwar actually had their own miniatures game at one point in time. :p But also for a last little tidbit, Robin Williams plays an Eldar army apparently, too. :D Guess it's easy to have several armies with that kind of income, eh?

- Cirrus

marneus54
08-12-2007, 05:58
Do they paint them?
I wouldn't, I'd just pay some one to paint it. :evilgrin:

Cirrus the Blue
08-12-2007, 06:19
Do they paint them?
I wouldn't, I'd just pay some one to paint it. :evilgrin:

hehe You're probably right on that, although it's not entirely out of the question they might dabble in the hobby side themselves.

- Cirrus

ozzfan
08-12-2007, 10:33
Hatton is not wearing an aquila. I saw the press conference on HBO myself. Hes wearing a shirt that says "Denim Affliction" in very gothic writing. The eagle looks like an aquila on on the wings, but the head is completely different.

I also noticed that the sleaves had that skaven symbol on them, the triangle one with each 'side' overlapping another one.

So either the shirt was a GW one, or the person who designed it has been nicking ideas...

Gazak Blacktoof
08-12-2007, 12:41
I don't think that's actually a GW design. I'm certain I've seen it in other places too.

marneus54
08-12-2007, 15:33
I mean I can see them being creative and all that, they are actors you know, but where do they find the time to paint and model things. Maybe put them together but not paint. I put at least 2 hours into a unit. I could see them telling the painter what color scheme or the modeler what position to be in, but I doubt they do it themselves. I'd like to say that Will Smith painted a perfect Khorne army, but then that would be stretching it.

Marn

Gannon
11-12-2007, 04:41
The *******' Will Smith rap was awesome! Mucho Props RR.

fwacho
11-12-2007, 06:54
If I was making a lot of money (which I'm not) and had a limited amount of time. I prefer th gaming part of the 40k.

I woudl probably paint the protype model and then pay someone else to paint the rest of the army. (minus a character or 3 which I woudl paint first so he/she could blend them in more easily).

This is based on teh assumtion that making large amounts of money costs you more time. and you want to focus on the games.

I woudl however probably want to make my own tables as this is true creative expression with few limits. (at least if your check book has few limits)

I would also keep hosting games at my house and provide better food and beverage to encourage people to drop by more often. a games no fun if you got no one to play it with.

I imagine the above mentioned celebrities have a few worthy opponets found further down in the credits. And I'll bet they wouldn't trade them for anything. As far as I can tell, celebrities tend to like people who see them as just people who do something different for a living and aren't trying to get them to buy stuff or do stuff for them. Ie. don't ask for an autograph unless they offer, and be yourself around them.

bram kuijpers
11-12-2007, 08:55
you could ask here ~ http://www.willsmith.net/message/

EmperorNorton
13-12-2007, 22:45
Although not directly related, this probably isn't worth making a thread for.

I was just watching the second episode of the first season of Highlander (Duncan McLeod is so much better than Connor McLead...).
In this episode Richie is trying to find a candy store he used to go to when he was a kid. In one scene you see him walking out of a Games Workshop store.
When he has found the now retired owner of the candy store the man tells him that he "sold it last month. Now it's some sort of game store with a bunch of weirdos hanging around."

marneus54
13-12-2007, 22:50
WIERDOS!? That's an outrage!! I'm not weird...so what if I like to butter my models and place them in provocative situations...I mean I'm not weird :)

iancw
15-12-2007, 23:51
I don't think that's actually a GW design. I'm certain I've seen it in other places too.

It's not a GW shirt, it's an Affliction shirt. It's a clothing line run by former UFC Heavyweight champ Randy Couture and is very popular with MMA and Boxing fans.

Duke Raoul
18-12-2007, 00:13
D&D and GW games are role playing games, actors role play for a living why would they be lots of gamers in holywood.

ankara halla
18-12-2007, 00:46
...GW games are role playing games...

Yeah, well, maybe for a select few games, but for the most part they certainly aren't. Even 40k back in the good old RT days, when it had the most RPG-like feel to it, it didn't qualify as a RPG.

It's true enough that GW has produced a few (like less than the fingers in one hand...) rulesets for RPG's and a few games which incorporate many charasteristics of RPG games (even fewer than the "real" RPG's...), but to say GW games are RPG's is a pretty long stretch.

It's like saying FPS's where you pick a character are RPG's, it just isn't so.

EDIT: Disclamer - Having read that after posting it, it looked weird, like I have a problem with RPG's. I really don't, if anything I just don't like people categorizing all games under a single definition, since there certainly are differences and the games themselfs are different.

Duke Raoul
18-12-2007, 01:31
I still think they are a form of RPG. As the player you take the role of leading a small army not something I do in real life. But I see your point It's how you look at it. I've found players in torments see the game as just numbers. I like to play campaigns and get into the feel of an army. You can take it how you like, thats what I love about the hobby

Cactusman
18-12-2007, 17:40
I can see the roleplaying side of 40k. When playing, I can often convince myself that I am the Inquisitor at the head of my force, complete with combi plasma weapon, tight leather trousers and large bosoms.
Actually, perhaps this is the wrong website for such comments...