PDA

View Full Version : Lizardmen help

Tarkon
06-12-2007, 07:08
hello fellow wargamers,

recently, I'm thinking of rebuilding my first (warhammer)love, namely The Lizardmen. I once saw a picture of the Stegadon model and it made me start with the whole hobby, so I think it's a crime to not have a complete 7th edition army :)

But, around the time Ravaging Hordes (I'm sure everyone rembembers that), I started playing Warhammer 40k more and more. So it's been a long time since I played a decent Warhammer Fantasy game.

That's why I'm asking you guys for help. I'm thinking about a Saurus-heavy army with a Carnosaur and Cold Ones. Does anyone have some good ideas about what to take and not take?

Thanks a bunch
Tarkon

him_15
06-12-2007, 10:19
Good choice mate, my very first army was lizardmen too.
We have probably the most powerful and reliable basic infantry: saurus and skinks.
So go for the battalion set, you get all you need for only 50.

Flypaper
06-12-2007, 11:01
One of the good things about the Lizardmen list is that it's virtually impossible to handicap yourself too badly. So if you pick a bit of everything, you can't really go too wrong.

The only thing to remember is, if you go light on magic and/or shooting, you need to make sure your main battle line is fast-moving. A couple of Saurus units is fine, but make sure you've got enough M6+ guys to cross the board if you need to.

I'm thinking about a Saurus-heavy army with a Carnosaur and Cold Ones. Does anyone have some good ideas about what to take and not take?Okay, here's what I'd suggest (in addition to what you've listed):

- Two minimum-sized units of Javelin skinks, to act as a missile screen and cheaply absorb casualties.

- At least one unit that can mess with your opponent at long range. This means scouting Skinks, Chameleon Skinks or Terradon Riders.

- With so many high-toughness models, you don't really need too much magic defense. Still, Sacred Spawnings of Tepok are cheap and very useful.

(by the way, Saurus Cavalry should be in units of 5 or 6 only. Resist the temptation to run all eight in the box!)

Guyver OmegaX
06-12-2007, 11:08
I returned to Warhammer fairly recently (coming back to Lizardmen, like you), and there are some of my most important lessons:

Cold One Riders aren't always worth the points: They're heavy cavalry, you pay a heavy cavalry price for them, but they have a reletively poor save. Because of that, you get less of them into combat than a better armoured unit, hence losing some of the extra attacks you would get from the nasty Saurus on top. They're certainly worth having, but I find Kroxigors much, much more reliable as a support unit.

Skinks are worth their weight in gold. I'd imagine Skinks are fairly light actually, so they're probably worth more than that. They're fast, they can hit hard from shooting, but they to tend to fall apart and/or run awya (superb giant killers, incidentally).

Saurus seem to move slowly compared to the rest of the army; if you want pace, Saurus heavy may not be the way to go. Saurus, however, are extremely good at what they do. I'd personally recommend hand weapons/shields over spears (spears cost more and sacrfice part of your armour save in combat, in exchange for a few extra attacks when you don't charge).

Also, it was "Ravening Hordes" ;)

EndlessBug
06-12-2007, 12:02
Hey, Lizardmen IMO the most balanced army out there.

you say you want a carnosaur? fair enough, in which case I suggest you ignore magic almost completely (as someone else has said V easy to do for Lizardmen) take Tepok on every character you can. I suggest you take Carnie, 2 Scar vets giving you 5 DD per phase and a LOT of hitting power.

IMO 2 units of Saurus is a must, unit sized 15 to 20 usually. Then at least 2 if not 3 units of skinks, 1 scout. This gives you the solid centre with a nice screen/skirmishing unit.

for special choices terradons are a must IMO, I've just started to use them and they are amazing! units of 3 are great and only 105 pts. Chamelion skinks also do v well at instantly martch blocking and disrupting battle lines, as well as holding up war machines. Kroxigor are also great, 2 units of 3 work nicely in union. as has been said Cavalry are expensive and only have a 3+ save, they die far too quickly, even to normal str 3 shooting (if you do no more than 6 in a unit).

Rare choices, SALAMANDERS! I usually run 2 units of 2, fopr nice flank protection against fast cav and skirmishers. But 1 unit of 2/3 and a steg could work better with your carnie.
anyway gtg work now

Tarkon
06-12-2007, 12:08
First of all, thanks for the replies. This is what I came up with. I'm aslo a guy who likes to field models just because they look cool - perhaps not a good tactic, but it certainly looks nice :)

Saurus Oldblood: General, Blessed Spawning of Itzl, Blessed Spawning of Quetzl, Light Armour, Scimitar of the Sun Resplendent, Enchanted Shield, Glyph Necklace, Carnosaur = 468 pts [nice and strong, terror causing general with alot of S5 and S6 attacks, bite!]

Saurus Scar-Veteran: Blessed Spawning of Itzl, Blessed Spawning of Quetzl, Light Armour, Sword of Might, The Maiming Shield, Cold One = 180 pts [to ride together with the saurus cav, or on his own to hunt lonely characters. might be replaceble with a scar-vet on foot with battle standard in one of the saurus units?]

Skink Priest: 2x Dispel Scroll = 115 pts [this guy is only here to dispel - and perhaps landing a nice comet in the middle of a unit]

15 Saurus Warriors: Full Command = 210 pts [core of the army]

15 Saurus Warriors: Full Command = 210 pts

10 Skink Skirmishers = 60 pts [as a screen, as suggested]

10 Skink Skirmishers = 60 pts

5 Saurus Cold One Riders: Full Command = 225 pts [for assisting the saurus blocks by attacking enemy units in the flank]

3 Terradons = 105 pts [as suggested, to harass enemies soon and behind their lines]

Stegadon = 235 pts [the model that started it all, i can't let this one out :) and a big terror beast with impact hits and a bolt thrower is not too bad i guess]

2 Salamanders = 130 pts [i've seen these guys spit whole units to dead. a friend of mine fields 2x3 of these beasties...i only had points for 2]

Also, it was "Ravening Hordes" ;)

True :)

[EDIT: this post was posted at the same time as the one from EndlessBug, so his suggestions are not yet in the list, except the salamanders - Slann Telepathy?]

EndlessBug
06-12-2007, 13:50
Saurus Scar-Veteran: Blessed Spawning of Itzl, Blessed Spawning of Quetzl, Light Armour, Sword of Might, The Maiming Shield, Cold One = 180 pts [to ride together with the saurus cav, or on his own to hunt lonely characters. might be replaceble with a scar-vet on foot with battle standard in one of the saurus units?]

Sword of might for 20 points is nice, however I would strongly suggest the sword of the hornet for 5 pts more, always strikes first, str 5 is high as it is (esp for base str) by getting the asf you pretty much rule out the scar vets only dissadvantage.

Skink Priest: 2x Dispel Scroll = 115 pts [this guy is only here to dispel - and perhaps landing a nice comet in the middle of a unit]

GOOD, although you wont get that comet, you can only use 2 dire on a lvl 1 mage and so double 6 is needed, not likely. But still keep him for the anti magic.

5 Saurus Cold One Riders: Full Command = 225 pts [for assisting the saurus blocks by attacking enemy units in the flank]
[/COLOR]

I'd strongly suggest a unit of 3 kroxigor instead, 3 wounds each 4+ save (9 wounds total as opposed to 5 wounds with 3+ save. Also they can autokill chariots. then 50 pts for tepok spawnings on the 2 saurus chars, and the sword of the hornet upgrade.

[EDIT: this post was posted at the same time as the one from EndlessBug, so his suggestions are not yet in the list, except the salamanders - Slann Telepathy?]

awww!

other than my opinions above I'd say a very good list!

p3990013
06-12-2007, 14:07
I like small agile units that can be combined to do mighty charges or that can be used to set flee/charge traps. e.g.

10 skinks
3 Kroxigors
5 Cold one riders with full command

But a carnosaur, 2 stegadons and 20-model-sized saurus units are an impressive sight too.

Borthcollective
06-12-2007, 15:41

If your flanking, dump the standard. It adds nothing but 100 vp for your enemy if it's attached to a dedicated flanking unit.

Malorian
06-12-2007, 18:18
I don't know if the priest is the best way to go magic defense wise. You get 1 DD and 2 scrolls for 115 points, or tepok on all your 3 heros and on the 2 saurus units and get 5 DD for 120 points.

I also don't think you need quetzl on your scarvets. On a cold one with light armor and a regular shield already gives them a 1+ save.

IvorTangrean
06-12-2007, 19:32
I have always found that a lvl 2 Skink Priest with the Diadem of Power to be incredible. He generates 3 DD (5 total) when on defense and 4 PD (6 total, 3 dice on each of two spells) on the offensive. I have used this against HE, Tzeentch, and Dwarfs.

Malorian
06-12-2007, 21:39
It's not AND when it comes to the diadem of power. If you save two dice for the next phase and then save again you aren't actually gaining anything.

So he can produce 3 DD OR 4PD

And that's still 3 DD for 100 points for 5 DD for 120 points. (althoug you could always do both)

IvorTangrean
06-12-2007, 22:22
sorry I meant the or to be implied with the defensive/offensive comments

so it is 3 DD / 0 PD OR -1 DD / 4 PD for 135 pts or 5DD for 120 pts

So yes yours is better defense per point but what happens when the enemy mages are dead you have 7 DD total just sitting there, where as I have only 1 DD unused. To be fair also my defense is all tied up in one 2 wound model, where yours is spread out over 3 heros and 2 units. So yes yours is a better defense but mine is more versatile.

EndlessBug
06-12-2007, 23:47
I too find the Diadem one of the best anti magic items, though it is hard to ridicule 2 dispel scrolls, as they are almost (irresistable force granted) surefire ways of stopping that all important spell.

The Diadem guy is 135 points and can only actually take 1 DD over to PD for a total max PD of 5. As it is the priests dice that are stored NOT army dice, he only generates 1 DD. Unless of course you've stored some before, but then that means that you are having 1 weak magic phase and one average one.

The problem with giving the Saurus units Tepok is that they become special, thus 2 units of tepok saurus now limit your special choices to 2. Which normally isn't viable. In this army however it might make sense.

IvorTangrean
07-12-2007, 01:22
You are right, it sucks that I have been using it wrong for years. :(

EndlessBug
07-12-2007, 02:46
:) giving it to a slann is a whole new story! a must IMO!

Tarkon
07-12-2007, 04:31
The Diadem of Power sounds nice, but then I really need 2 Skink Priests I think, cause with 35 points, my single Priest can't even take a badly needed Dispel Scroll anymore.

I thought things over again, looked at other units in the game - mostly other heavy cavelry units - and I see the big problem now. Saurus Cavelry is not worth it, like you guys say. Oh well, Kroxigor are cool models too :) With some adjustments, this is my list atm:

Saurus Oldblood: General, Itzl, Quetzl, Tepok, Light Armour, Scimitar of the Sun Resplendent, Enchanted Shield, Glyph Necklace, Carnosaur (488pts)

Saurus Scar-Veteran: Quetzl, Tepok, Light Armour, Shield, Sword of the Hornet (149 pts)

Skink Priest: 2x Dispel Scroll (115 pts)

14 Saurus Warriors: full command (198 pts) [14 because the scar-vet is joining in]

15 Saurus Warriors: full command (210 pts)

10 Skink Skirmishers (60 pts)

10 Skink Skirmishers (60 pts)

3 Kroxigor (174 pts)

3 Terradon Riders: brave (115 pts)

Stegadon (235 pts)

3 Salamander Hunting Packs (195 pts)

Total: 1999 pts
Dispel Dice: 5

Guyver OmegaX
07-12-2007, 08:34
I'd be cautious about using that Old-blood; he's practically 1/4 of your army, and will be a shining beacon for heavy missile fire. He may have good saves, but it'd still be worth your while being clever with cover on the battlefield.

I rarely bother with braves in any sort of Skink unit, but that's as much a preference thing as anything else. Ideally I'd say drop the brave and get 2 more normal Skinks, but you'd end up at 2001 points. Bugger :P

As it is the priests dice that are stored NOT army dice

Sorry to come off topic for a minute, but it's worth saying here that the Lizardmen rules were written for 6th edition (when all power/dispel dice went into a single pool for the army). Because of that, most people will allow a little more flexibility in what dice can be stored - my games club, for instance, allow storing of mage-specific and pool dice (but not dice that are generated by a different mage).

kroq'gar
07-12-2007, 08:45
I take the diadem on a single lvl 2 skink... you store your two dice for dispel, and then you can have a craack at a spell, its amazing how often your opponent will fail to dispel (they usually roll most their dispell dice and land a 1 & 1).

I'd suggest making the mounted hero a BSB, then drop quetzl for sotek. Keep the sword of might, and then give the amulet for a 5+ ward. On the charge he pulls a respectable 5 st 6 attacks, and has a 2+ armour 5+ ward. The +1 combat for the banner is worth the points alone, let alone the reroll (you'll never run with one around). Whack him in one of the units of saurus foot and milk all the advantages of causing fear.

Also, the sacred standard is a MUST for coldones, you can march to a flank or reform to one, and destroy anything.

EndlessBug
07-12-2007, 09:34
Personally I'd strongly suggest against a cold one, sure you get a fear causer, but only US 2. But you also cause the whole unit to suffer from stupidity, on Lizardmen Ld I know its not as bad as it could be. Also I have a personal loathing of mounted characters in infantry units.

The BSB idea however is a good point, does mean a save of 3+ (unmounted) which tbh isn't that bad. Going to have to disagree with kroq' again on this one, this guy especially needs the strikes first rule which will further enhance his survivability.

Completetly agree on the banner, a definate must! Though Kroxigor are better ;) good choice.

Guyver OmegaX - fair point, I can see your argument. although doesn't the book specify that it is only the mages dice you use not armys? I can't recall don't have the book on me atm.

kroq'gar
07-12-2007, 09:50
I back saurus cav against kroxigors- the banner, cheaper champion, and high mv, plus armour, help them win combats. AND (yep, in caps) the ws 4, which means they are usually being hit on 4's, adding alot more survivability than kroxigors, plus multi wounding pain, such as cannons or magic weapons dont hurt anywhere near as much.

And i agree with you on the mounted heros in foot (my empire dont do it, as much as it disadvantages me- i field all foot), but pure gameplaywise its a good move.

Strikes first could work, though you'd be dropping the wardsave to gain it.

Guyver OmegaX
07-12-2007, 10:23
Guyver OmegaX - fair point, I can see your argument. although doesn't the book specify that it is only the mages dice you use not armys? I can't recall don't have the book on me atm.

I don't have the book on me either, so I can't say for sure - I think it talks in terms of the mage's dice though, as you say.

My main point was that when the book was written there was no difference between the army's dice and the mage's dice, making it slightly ambiguous. A sporting player would typically allow pool dice to be stored (as the 7the edition FAQ suggests in the case of uncertainty - mind you, some parts of that FAQ are absolute tripe, IMO), where as a less-sporting player would insist only the mage's dice can be stored as technically defined in the tiem description (meaning level 1-2 mages get a worse item for the same price as a lvl 3-4 mage, as discussed above).

Flypaper
07-12-2007, 11:05
Tarkon, that new list looks fine. The only caveat I'd make is one people have already brought up - your Oldblood's hogging a lot of points. A few incidental comments - just things you might want to think of:

- Why not make your Scar-Veteran a BSB? All he'd lose would be his shield, but since he's in a unit he's not susceptible to shooting anyway [edit: he doesn't really need Quetzl, for the same reason]. Meanwhile, the extra point of CR and the break test re-roll effect should make your saurus blocks that much sturdier.

- Since you're going for such a multi-attack Oldblood, it's a waste not to give him Sotek (probably instead of Tepok, since you've got enough DD - four plus two scrolls is standard even against tournament-calibre opposition).

- Never, ever take a Terradon Brave. One of the main reasons you're running the turkeys is so that they can act as mage hunters... But if you take a Brave, he can just challenge it with his mage and avoid most of your unit's attacks.

- While three Krox are perfectly viable, it's more common to take them in teams of four so they can operate at sufficient strength after taking a casualty.

Tarkon
07-12-2007, 16:05
Is a BSB a big must in a Lizard army? With the advantages of Cold Blooded and all? Being away from Fantasy blurs my thinking :P.

Also, the sacred standard is a MUST for coldones, you can march to a flank or reform to one, and destroy anything.

With Sacred Standard, do you mean "Huanchi's Blessed Totem"? I have 8 Cold One Riders at home, but Endlessbug convinced me with his Kroxigor idea... although the Cold One Riders would make the bill cheaper :)

And for the record
Diadem of Power: The diadem allows the bearer to save up to two of his own unused Power dice or Dispel dice at the end of any Magic Phase and store them, to add to his side's dice pool in the next Magic Phase.
=> so, he can only store HIS OWN dice, but in the next Magic Phase, every mage in the army can use them...that's how i read it

Flypaper: very good point on the Terradon Brave, I'll adjust it right away. Blessing of Sotek was indeed my first choice, but I feared my magic defences weren't good enough with only my Skink Priest. I shall see what I can do to fix me another Krox :)

EndlessBug
08-12-2007, 02:41
hum, so that's a devious thought... giving the diadem to the priest might not be such a bad idea, make him just transfer his dice each phase and you'll have 7 PD for the slann and 6 DD. 2nd gen slann and thats 3-4 spells per turn depending on difficulty (or the old 5 d6 str 4 missiles and another 3 dice spell). Means you dont have to use the skinks crappy miscasting magic.

yea he meant the totem. Though promise me you'll never field them in units of more than 6 if you do?

def drop the brave, missed that one myself heh.

Also I'm personally a fan of the 3 krox per unit list, 4 is just unwieldy IMO.

Why not try with cold one riders first then? if you find them not so great then buy some krox? :)

Tarkon
08-12-2007, 05:34
Well, the minimum unit requirements for Cold One Riders is more expensive (in points) then a unit of three Kroxigor, and I really don't have any points to spare anymore, so Kroxigor it is. But I promise, if I ever field a unit of Riders, I'll just take 5-6 ^^.

I'm not taking that Diadem because I don't have the Priest for casting, just dispelling and the Oldblood is there to stay (sorry but I just love the model), so no room for a Slann.

Did some minor changes in the list:

Oldblood: replaced Tepok with Sotek (more bite!)
Scar-Vet: made him BSB with Sword of Hornet still, but no more shield and Quetzl
Terraddons: no more brave

The only thing I'm worried about now is my Saurus blocks...I mostly see blocks of 20 infantry troops these days, and my Saurus ones are with 15.

And again, thanks for all the advice guys, you really helped me alot!

Prophet of Quetzl
08-12-2007, 08:07
I'm not taking that Diadem because I don't have the Priest for casting, just dispelling...

No, no, no! The Diadem is excellent for dispelling only - if you are not planning on casting much then you can take 2 PD to your next turns DD pool evey time making your magic defence much better. Normally you have to sacrifice some casting ability to get regular dispel ability but you are not going to be casting often so there is less sacrifice.

Just my 2c but in your case the Diadem is even better because you don't have any agonising decisions to make.

Tarkon
08-12-2007, 10:48
Interesting... that leaves me with enough point to give the Scar-Vet the Blessing of Quetzl afterall.

A quote from myself:
Diadem of Power: The diadem allows the bearer to save up to two of his own unused Power dice or Dispel dice at the end of any Magic Phase and store them, to add to his side's dice pool in the next Magic Phase.

It says "add to his side's dice pool", not "casting pool" or "dispel pool", so that means I can just choose? Or is it the pool from which I stored dice form the turn before?

Vsurma
08-12-2007, 12:03
You can turn 2 Power dice into dispell for the next phase, or 2 dispell into power dice for the following phase..

Meaning that a sing skink priest with the diadam can store 2 PD, turning them into DD.

So if you just take that 1 skink priest as your magic def you get 2 pool dice, 2 diadam PD turned to DD and 1 from the skink priest itself...

For 100pts you get 5 DD, this basically means you can dispell most any spell each turn, or 2 smaller ones.

While a dispell dice guarantees that huge spell wont be going off, with 5 DD your average dispell roll will be 17.5 on 5 dice anyway...

So your basically choosing to either guarantee 2 big spells are dispelled and trying to dispell the rest on 3 dice (average roll of only 10.5) or you can have those 5 dice every turn.

Personally I would go with the 5 myself.

And if you do come up aginst a no magic army, then you turn the dispel dice into power and have 5 power dice to use. Though with 1 spell and max of 2 dice per spell....

Using the caster offensively means you need to be running a lv2 priest. its only 35 extra points so it might be worth it, also depends on your interpretation on how the diadam works. You might have to run a lv2 anyway to save 2 PD.

EndlessBug
08-12-2007, 13:54
And for the record
=> so, he can only store HIS OWN dice, but in the next Magic Phase, every mage in the army can use them...that's how i read it

Vsurma - The diadem requires your skink priest to be lvl 2 for full use (so costs 135 pts), and you can only take 1 DD into a PD.

It's either 2PD 5 DD or 5 PD 2 DD at each maximum.

If you take Tepok on other heroes then the diadem skink is advisable.

5 DD will stop 1 big spell and maybe 1 small spell per turn if you're lucky.

IMO you'd be better off with a skink priest with 2 scrolls and a vet with tepok.

That's the samer cosr = 135 and it gives you 4 DD per turn and 2 scrolls. So thats pretty much a big spell per turn and 2 safety nets.

Tarkon
08-12-2007, 14:20
The army list is taking more and more solid shape :) I love the responding I got on this post.

Worrying about units of 20 Saurus is also not an option, I need 117 pts (because the total of everything now is 1997 pts) that I don't have for it. I don't see where I can make those free.

I think I have to play it smart and try to do as much flank charges as possible to back my Saurus up, so that the enemy doesn't have his ranks either.

Vsurma
08-12-2007, 14:24
Well as I said it depends on how your group wants to play it.

Round where I played (including the UK GT) I had no problem saving 2 DD or PD even if some of them came from the pool. No one complained.

The scroll option is safer for a few rounds but then the diadam will help you all game...

That said you can always combine... And if you are indeed using saurus or characters where you can take tepok for the dispell dice then yea I would say its better, always nice to have a few scrolls. Though with a few heroes or saurus units you can get alot of DD so you might not need scrolls. Say 8 DD

brambleten
08-12-2007, 16:15
i started off fielding blocks of 20 saurus, then, seeing some blorcs do so much damage to them using 6 wide 4 deep, ive changed them to that, and it seems to work. i dont have a slann, only lord kroak, and he isnt built, even after a year of having him (damn GW drilled the hole wonky), so at 2k i either field a carnosaur or an oldblood on cold one with 3 mage support, or 2 mage support and an artillery hunting fling skink

Sephtar II
08-12-2007, 22:45
a quick point to consider is that if you are really keen on the carnosaur cold one mix you might want to look at Kroq-Gar as he will let you take Saurus cavalry as core units.

Tarkon
09-12-2007, 00:34
I thought about that as well Sephtar II, but I didn't do it for 2 main reasons:

* Then I would be insanely outnumbered in 2000pts battles.
* With all the critics I heared about Cold One Riders, a whole army of them didn't seem all that good. I really like the Hand of Gods rule though :)

I'll stick with my current list for now - unless anyone has some other advice or ideas. I think I'm going to buy everything at the same time via mail order. Just finished converting the Oldblood and the Scar-Veteran.

Flypaper
09-12-2007, 04:03
and you can only take 1 DD into a PD.Er, what? Dispel Dice aren't associated with the caster in the same way as PD - they all go into the common pool.
The only thing I'm worried about now is my Saurus blocks...I mostly see blocks of 20 infantry troops these days, and my Saurus ones are with 15.Not worth it in my experience - you're spending a lot of points for just one point of static CR. Heck, you could put a Warbanner on the BSB (though you'd lose the magic weapon) and get the same result for less than half the price.

...Plus if you're taking 20+ Saurus, it's borderline mandatory to give them a Spawning.

Appoloclypse
09-12-2007, 04:39
Plus if you're taking 20+ Saurus, it's borderline mandatory to give them a Spawning.

not realy the only unit that I have given a spawning to is 15 strong. That unit is great when charging, blessed spawning of sotec, or when being charged/second and later rounds of combat, spears. though I can understand the argument against spears, this is the second most feared unit by my normal oponent, the first being my combat monster of a scar vet.

Tarkon
09-12-2007, 11:01
Currently, there is no more room for extra nifty things like blessings or more modelsn in the units. But I think I have enough frast moving, manouverable units in my army to make sure the enemy doesn't get too much CR bonusses either (flank, rear).

This is what I came out with, thanks to your great help:

Saurus Oldblood: Itzl, Quetzl, Sotek, Light Armour, Scimitar of the Sun Resplendent, Enchanted Shield, Glyph Necklace, Carnosaur (488pts)

Saurus Scar-Veteran: Tepok, Light Armour, BSB, Sword of the Hornet (157pts)

Skink Priest: Level 1, 2x Dispel Scroll (115pts)

14 Saurus Warriors: full command (198pts) [joined by scar-vet]

15 Saurus Warriors: full command (210pts)

10 Skink Skirmishers: javelins & shield (60pts)

3 Kroxigor (174pts)

3 Terradon Riders (105pts)

Stegadon (235pts)

3 Salamander Hunting Packs (195pts)

Total Cost: 1997pts
Model Count: 76
PD: 3
DD: 4 (+2 scrolls)

Appoloclypse
10-12-2007, 06:48
Currently, there is no more room for extra nifty things like blessings or more modelsn in the units. But I think I have enough frast moving, manouverable units in my army to make sure the enemy doesn't get too much CR bonusses either (flank, rear).

Hey I'm not saying that you need to take blessed spawnings, i've only used that unit once since giving it the spawning, don't play warhammer very often, I was just pointing out that units 20+ strong do not need to have a blessed spawning.

one of those units should have blowpipes, the extra shots have made all the difference when used against my friends dwarfs.

Model Count: 76
PD: 3
DD: 4 (+2 scrolls)
that is a good number of models for a lizard army at the 2000 point level. my only sugestion would be to replace one of the scrolls with a power stone, can be used to cast, something that could prove useful against armies such as dwarfs, or khorne worshipping chaos, and I think that 4 DD are enough in this size of game.

Bortus
11-12-2007, 20:10
1.Kroxigors over cavalry...yup. Unless you dedicate a hero to the unit for extra punch.
2. I prefer blowguns over javelin and shield and I would use more skinks. Most people don't because they lack the hitting power (obviosly) of the saurus but they work great!
3. I never leave home wothout a unit of scouts.
4. Lots of people will tell you that the Stegadon usually isn't worth the points and if you do the numbers they're pretty much right but I like the unit and never had anything but good results. Depends on what kind of army you face most often.
5. I've also heard arguements against the Carnosaur but like you I love these 2 models and so that's what I take most times. Far as I'm concerned it takes some of the fun away if your army consists of models you don't particularly care to paint!
6. Salamanders DEFINITELY have there place and should not be ignored! I personally use the older models cuz I like them cool looking fins onthier backs!
Well those are my thoughts. I say have fun and remember that mail order right now will most likely be super slow due to the holidays.
Peace n' Chicken Grease

EndlessBug
12-12-2007, 01:19
It's a good army IMO, the Steg does compliment the carnie v nicely! I'm beginning to love big beasties now, just used a Dark elf beastmaster style army and it was great!

Er, what? Dispel Dice aren't associated with the caster in the same way as PD - they all go into the common pool.

Each mage creates their Dispel dice which is put into the pool, just because the pool is used in a different manner to the Power dice does not mean that the dice are not made by the said priest. Furthermore the wording leads me to believe that it was intended for the dice that only the model carrying it creates (by use of 'bearers own', without the mention of this I'd be inclined to agree with you). Though this is going off topic, we will have to agree to use it differently :) .

Flypaper
12-12-2007, 01:30
one of those units should have blowpipes, the extra shots have made all the difference when used against my friends dwarfs.The rule of thumb is - "if you expect to move them, give them javelins. If they're static, blowpipes".

...In this case he's using both as combat screens; javelins are strictly better at that role. Not that it makes too much of a difference either way, mind you. :o

Tarkon: That latest list looks great for what you want it to do; I wouldn't change anything. Make sure you pin the Terradon's wings, though - mine fall off in the slightest breeze!

replace one of the scrolls with a power stoneUm, he has a single level 1 Wizard. This means he only has one spell available, from the Lore of the Heavens - which means the spell will either (effectively) do nothing, or be too high-value to cast. Why bother? :eyebrows:

Tarkon
12-12-2007, 07:18
Thanks for the tip on the Terradons :) Yeah, I took javelin & shields for my skinks because a) they will be moving alot and b) maybe, just MAYBE, I succeed in a 6+ Sv against S3 missile fire :D

I think that Diadem of Power deserves his own thread :D we can discuss about it for a long time.

Bortus
12-12-2007, 18:04
What type of armies do you play against most?

Tarkon
13-12-2007, 13:51
Lizardmen (skink heavy), Dwarfs (cannon heavy), Ogres, Khemri

Not really alot of S3 missile fire there, I know :) but those are the armies of my closest friends, there are other player in my gaming club + who knows, perhaps even tournaments one day...

Appoloclypse
13-12-2007, 21:01
Um, he has a single level 1 Wizard. This means he only has one spell available, from the Lore of the Heavens - which means the spell will either (effectively) do nothing, or be too high-value to cast. Why bother?
Oh missed the level 1 part, my bad, but never underestimate the ability to have your saurus warriors reroll to hit and to wound rolls of one in combat.

Lizardmen (skink heavy)
keep the javlins, blow bipes will never be hitting on a 6 against all those skirmishers, unless you sit still and only fire one shot.