PDA

View Full Version : tomb king problems, army list

librerian_samae
06-12-2007, 09:59
Right based off my thread in tactics, this is the rough army I have come up with.

As always any help and criticsm welcome :)

Points limit: 2000

Theme: old world cairns army.

Must haves: TK, chariots, Bone giant.

List so far:

TK: sheild and chariot. spear of antarhak, golden eye of rah-nut and armour of ages 313

liche preist hirophant: heiretic jar 140

liche priest 115

3 chariots with musician and standard (TK goes here) 150

4 chariots with musician and standard 190

6 heavy cav with full command 131

20 skellies with full comand, light armour and banner of the undying legion (liche priest here?) 230

20 skellies with full comand and light armour 205

15 tombgaurd with full command and icon of rakaph (hirophant here?)250

3 carrion (the morrigun) 72

tomb scorpion (large boar construct?) 85

bone giant (animated stone henge) 220

P.D. 2

D.P. 4

Models: 77

Lucky24/7
06-12-2007, 10:11
Erm first a littel random points total :D buy hey ...

well first possibly think about charriot of fire as it works wonders in con junction with golden eye. And if you wanted the unlitamte flanker add vambraces giving him a unit str 5 cahrriot that can easily negate ranks by him self with D6 + 1 impact hits + fail hits. (6 points is a steal for +2 str)

Other ideas .....
Mirage standard On the charriot unit with the king as its going to draw alot of fire power

Screamming skull with a liech preist next to it. No.1 Likes to see a catapult fire twice in a turn. epsically equiped with skulls of the foe. leader ship tests at -1... thank you very much.

Also I personally max out on heros in a Tk List and woudl strongly recomend another liche priest as you are magic light ( as far as tk go) and tk dose require a large amout to work to full effect and this army is rather magic light

I stil wouldnt recoment 20 man units of skellies but they do act as a good tar pit ( though expensive.)

Just a couple of though there thast all

Oh and in My opion i would split one of skellies into 2 archer units to hide the important hirophant and other liech preist.
Cloak of the dunes at least on your hierophant as you ahev all ready pointed out flying is fantasic in a army that cant march.

librerian_samae
06-12-2007, 10:24
I know it's magic light I just cant work out what to drop to get in the extra liche priest.

I like the idea about the archers though (goes to scrible in changes ).

Now am I splitting focus with this army too much with the tomb gaurd and tarpit skellies, or are they needed?

Anyway updated list:

TK: sheild and chariot. spear of antarhak, golden eye of rah-nut and armour of ages 313

liche priest 115

liche priest 115

10 skellies with bows and musician 85

15 tombgaurd with full command and ibanner of undying legion 235

SSC with skulls of foe 120

P.D. 2

D.P. 5

Models: 62

Lucky24/7
06-12-2007, 10:45
I think You seem to miss that a balance Tk army is the best, the hero selction forces you to take one of each and therfore balnce the list.

This is why a magic light (like 1 lice priest) is a bad army as it consist of non-marching ( well with my will be done.....) and low toughness, weapon skill troops. also no reasing
back dead models.

Magic heavy is bad in Tk because the magic is supportive with all but 1 spells affecting your own units.

This is why I normally make a force that can compete do every thing then add magic to allow the army to accel at set area's against set oppents. E.g magicllay moving your giant to cause terror aginst low leadership armys or making the archers fire twice against the wood elfs ....

My Army list I took The the G.T was as follows (thought I belive HLP Over Tk but that is whole diffrent debate.)

HLP- Staff Of Raverning, hirophant (Duh) Collar of shepeshi, Cloak of the dunes
Lp- Caset, dispel scroll and heriatic jar
TP- Charriot of fire, flail, Icon of rah nut
TP - Scorpion armour (a one man tar pit !)

3 x 12 archer units (genrall core units)

3 x scropions (yes alone they suck but all 3 togher can take on units and win easily)
2 x swarm base (more It came from Bellow fun)

3 x charriots with banner and champ (mirage standard and standard take the dule and die champion)

1 x screaming skull catapult with skulls of the foe.

Small and elite undead :D

Thats how I play it though you effectivly can do the same with Tk and 3 Lp (as 2 princes are effectivly a a Tk) and take a Bone giant and tomb gurad instead of scorpion and casket. (roughly in my head)

oh and drop the heavy cav... a mean you ahve one anvil/tarpit and 3 hammer units ....

Oh and

snurl
06-12-2007, 10:54

liche priest 115

liche priest 115

15 tombgaurd with full command and ibanner of undying legion 235

SSC with skulls of foe 120

P.D. 2

D.P. 5

Models: 62

Try dropping the Musicians from the chariot units and the full command from the horsemen, to bring your points total closer to 2000 ( i dont have my book with me right now)

I always try to take as many bound items as possible in order to help burn up opponents dispel dice and scrolls. Save your most important spell you want to get accomplished for last.

librerian_samae
06-12-2007, 11:03
cool thanks for the help!

Now quick question which is mor worth it as a magic banner for the tomb gaurd the icon of rakaph or banner of undying legion?

Also are just 3 carrion worth it?

Lucky24/7
06-12-2007, 11:05
Icon normally as the free reform is great considering there poor movement and allow for a 12 inc charge in any direction (with magic help of course) tho your amry could do with the magic help

librerian_samae
06-12-2007, 11:25
Thats what I was thinking it seems to be a toss up between suprise charges and being able to rescive almost any charge which is just great when they work.

Or the extra incantation hopefully bringing out more dispel dice or if they dont you have one nasty as hell tarput that wont go down and can killing blow any charcter that gets caught up in it!

My ideal solution would be to put an icon bearer in there so as to have both magic banners.
But 1) that is a huge points sink and 2) I really need the hero slots for liches.

I gues I will alternate a bit and see which works best.

Either that or put back in the skellies with undying banner and just have a tiny unit of tombgaurd for catching people off gaurd, what do you think?

kyinpie
07-12-2007, 12:08
Tomb king
shield
chariot
*spear of antarhak
*scorpion armour
*chariot of fire
he could be sent on his own and do quit a bit of damage! or you could give him icon of rulership (5pts cheaper) and flank units or better still rear charge units. this method can take units on his own, if not the scorpion armour will save you from combat res, then heal your self with the spear.

liche preist (hirophant)
*heiretic jar
*cloak of dunes
the hirophant needs the cloak as it would make him very difficult to hunt down, heiretic jar for when u realy need it and the enemy ha used all they're dispell dice!!

liche priest
skeletal steed
*staff of ravening
this item looks quit useless on paper, but very usefull, pluss it might get the enemy to use up dispell dice. the steed is so he can move about further. keep him in a bow man unit intill either the archers are near distruction, or setting a trap or when the priest is needed else where.

liche priest 115
skeletal steed
*casket of souls
*collar of shapesh
*serpants staff
every one will always keep 2 dispel dice for this, except when there is another spell your trying to get off that will criple one of they're main units, then you get to cast it! remember that its -1 for the enemy to cast a spell! expect flyers to come for the casket, and on the rar occasion fast cav, hopefully they will fail the terror test if not, the hourse provides an extra attack, and a 6+ save! these extra bits arnt worth much, but for a few pts u got to take it. the staff is to hopefull help to wound the enemy!! also have another unit near by so u can use the collar, i like having two swarms in front of the casket to stop charges from the front, then they can charge in for support when the casket is under attack.

3 chariots

3 chariots
command on chariots are a wast of points, unless ur useing them as a main unit! just use these to run circles around the enemy main units, as they will always turn the unit to stop u haveing a flank and rear, so they will turn so u only get a flank and front, or if you ur chariots are to close together, two front charges. keep them turning intill youhave the giant or another unit ready to charge, so you charge them from 3 sides!

heavy horsemen r a waste of points and giving them full command, they will die to shooting and magic before they get to combat, if they get to combat, they cant even hold a unit down for a turn. easy points with no job.

10 skellies with bows

10 skellies with bows
no need for any command or additional equipment, just shoot and set traps with these units! add the priest with staff of ravening to one unit and leave later like explained above.

tomb gaurd x 15 etc are a waste!! its eithera full unit with a king and destroyer or not at all!

5 carrion

tomb scorpion

tomb scorpion
i would say 2 scorpions to use in conjunksion with the 5x carrion. carrion to take warmachines or sit behind a unit which i intend to charge soon (if the unit flees from combat they will be distroyed by the carrion!!! and they cant choose to flee from the charge!!!) i use the scorpions to go after warmachines, coz no-one is silly enough to leave a charector out of unit when a scorpion is near or due to come up!!! also if there are not many warmachines, i send the carrion after the one or two and send the scorpion into a block unit after the enemy lord choice and direct all my attacks on him, killing blow doesnt come around very often, but worth it!!! if successfull or not its well worth the risk if your successfull you get doudle if not tripple your points back! or i will go at the main unit and direct all my attacks on the BSB so when my main units charge in they have less combat resulotion, and again, you'll earn double your points back!!

bone giant
i normally like to take the catapult with the upgrade! like i said above use him in conjunksion with the chariots. also move him around to make the enemy take loads of terrer tests, have a unit(carrion) the other side of the unit to kill them outright

leaving 106 points, maybe light horsmen to use as bait? (but no more than a unit of 5, as they should be used as bait, so u dont want to give too many points away!)

just want to say that this list and advice is down to my opinion and play-style. it works well for me, but its all down to how you want to play. im have alot of experience with tomb kings as its my main army, but its just advise.

i hope this helps and good luck