PDA

View Full Version : Decision: Nightwing or Phoenix?

Sildani
06-12-2007, 16:41
Well, I finally got wind of the Phoenix's weapons and rules in the forthcoming Imperial Armour Apocalypse book. Not bad! Tomorrow my FLGS is making a large FW order and I'm opening the virtual floor to comments/opinions as to which might provide more bang for my buck, so to speak. Note that I can't get both, so comments suggesting that I do so will be unhelpful. Without further ado...

Special: Moves like a Nightwing. Eldar Titan holo-fields.

Weapons: two shuriken cannon. Two Phoenix missile launchers (imagine a three-shot Reaper launcher). One pulse laser.

No weapons are on an AA mount. No capacity for bombs. But still, that's 14 shots... Now, as for what I'm facing: all races, a fair few Titans, a couple flyers (a friend of mine has a Marauder Destroyer, a rival has a Fighta-Bommer), and so on. Thing is, flyers aren't necessarily guaranteed.

So, what'll I have more fun with?

k'ron
06-12-2007, 17:23
I think this decision boils down to if you believe that two phoenix missile launchers and a pulse laser on a vehicle with no anti aircraft mounts is better than two bright lances on a vehicle with anti aircraft mounts.

Against Side Av12 vehicles (as that is what fliers always use) both craft are equally balanced with their ability to pierce the armour. However most titans are Av13 on the side facing which means that nightwing has a slight benefit to penatrating the armour due to the lance weapons, although the phoenix perhaps has more potential against bio titans due to the volume of shots.

Against Side Av11 or less vehicles I would say the phoenix is the better craft due to the higher quantity of shots which can penetrate or glance the armour.

If you want to rule the skies then with out a doubt the nightwing is the vehicle to chose soley because of the AA mounts on all of itw weapons.

If you want to mow down hordes of infantry then the phoenix is the one to chose just because of the high volume of shots and good strength and AP on the pulse laser and phoenix launcher.

I think that they are both very nice minatures that look as though they would be a joy to paint and play with but in this I think the phoenix is slight nicer and would fit better if you ever decided to get one of the bigger vampire class craft due to similiar design.

I think the end decision should come down to your play style. The nightwing appears to be the better vehicle against heavy armour and fliers, where as the phoenix seems to excel against light vehicles and infantry but still has a chance against fliers and heavier vehicles.

Personally I would get the phoenix as it seems to have a role whatever the army your facing as you said you do not always face fliers which is in my opinion one of the main appeals of the nightwing.

Hope this helps your decision a little bit.

Sildani
06-12-2007, 22:04
Hey, thanks! That clarifies my thoughts... well, as much as they can be clarified, anyway. Any more opinions?

feelnopain666
06-12-2007, 22:09
If you are looking for aerial superiority, the Nightwing is your best choice (but is also good in destroying ground units). if you want a real threat to enemy ground troops, the Phoenix is you best bet. in my opinion, use the Nightwing: its more generalist.

FooFighter
06-12-2007, 23:01
I would go with the Nightwing for many reasons:
- Cheaper ()
- Cheaper (pts)
- Smaller
- More flexible
- Quicker to assemble
- Quicker to paint
- Provides Air and Ground Offensive

Feor
06-12-2007, 23:02
Vampire! Go for the Gusto! :p

Sildani
08-12-2007, 14:45
Hey all,

Thanks for the insights and responses. I decided upon the Nightwing for its overall flexibility against aircraft and ground forces. I also like the way it looks a bit better.

Feor: yes, I wanted to. As soon as I read your post, though, my wallet shrieked and crawled under a pile of paperwork, out of sight. I've wanted a Vampire for years, and one day I shall have it. Just not now.

Thanks to all who contributed! Your advice was pondered most carefully.