PDA

View Full Version : What's the most obscure Space Marine chapter you have ever played?

Agrip. Varenus Denter
06-12-2007, 16:47
I ask this because today I was up at my gaming store and a guy asked me if I'd like to have a quicky with him. After thankfully realizing that he meant a game, I asked him what he had, how many points and if they were ready to play (ie, painted, etc).

He told me he had 1500 points of 'nilla Marines and that they were ready to go... I figured that I'd be up against Ultramarines or something akin to them...

No. He lays out gorgeously painted Emperor's Warbringers... a real Space Marine Chapter that I admit I didn't recognize and had to look up quite quickly in the Space Marine Collector's Guide.

His logic behind them was basically that he really liked playing regular codex-following Marines, but wanted something special that still fell into recognized fluff. He even had made a mini-book of pretty nice fluff that he had authored, since other than the name and color scheme, everything else was an unknown.

Even though the rules were the same for the Emperor's Warbringers as they are for Ultramarines or whatnot... it was a refreshing breath of fresh air to play a different-looking force.

So, like the title of the thread states... who has played a "rare" or "obscure" chapter before (one that is a listed and recognized chapter)? I'm almost tempted to do a small force of Skull Bearers or Lords of Wrath now myself... it was a fun change of pace!

Grazzy
06-12-2007, 17:07
I have seen one of the blood angels successors - angels incarnate or something.

unclejimbo827
06-12-2007, 17:08
I've only seen one Imperial Fists army ever, which is a shame.

Preacher
06-12-2007, 17:10
@ Agrip:

Do you know where I can get more info on rare chapters? I am starting my first SM army and I want to do something different.

Preston
06-12-2007, 17:17
http://www.ironhands.com/chapters.htm

some pictures of different chapters shoulder pads and icons at least

Culven
06-12-2007, 17:25
I have a Deathwatch Army consisting of a Command Squad, four Tactical Squads, two Devastator Squads, and a Veteran Squad. So that is about 80 models, representing about 65 different chapters. :D

I also have a Red Hunters army (still needing to be painted), which will work with my Ordo Xenos army.

Killus Maximus
06-12-2007, 17:28
I've played against a Mortificators and a Mantis Warriors before. I remember the Mantis Warriors well as they were painted crazy awesome.

Agrip. Varenus Denter
06-12-2007, 17:46
@ Agrip:

Do you know where I can get more info on rare chapters? I am starting my first SM army and I want to do something different.

Preston mentioned a good one (http://www.ironhands.com/chapters.htm) already, plus you can get information from the Wikipedia entry (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Space_Marine_Chapters). The best, IMO, is Lexicanum's section (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/List_of_Space_Marine_Chapters).

Hope it helps!

FruitSmack!
06-12-2007, 17:53
I'm in the process of painting up a Sons Of Medusa army.

Also, as just something to do, I've been trying to write up some background for a bunch of the chapters that have none (or very, very little) and put them on my homepage (see my sig). I did the Doom Eagles last week. This week I'm working on the Subjugators.

aaron

MuttMan
06-12-2007, 17:54
Ive only once played against the Silver Skulls chapter. I thought they were iron warriors at first, when I asked him "Where is your 4th heavy support?" he laughed... I took a closer look while he giggled and realised my mistake.... Hah!

The real rare chapters are custom ones. I have, indeed played an army that took the man well over 500 hours to complete and heh ad won several events over the years with them. Using even his worse painted models he gets 2nd place. I was so scared of knocking or scratching his models with my tyranids getting into base to base contact, he was so easy going with them getting hurt he kept re-assuring me. I was still scared, a single scratch could mean a half hour of repainting.. I think they were dragon warriors, ya know, that fella that had those dragon marines in that large list of unique marines in a white dwarf some years back... I played that guy.

I also got to play a girl, who.. Actually... Owns this site: http://www.darknatasha.com/
Her tyranids looked cool.... I have to admit, I was stunned at some of her mini's looks. I cant remember what they looked like for the life of me, it was some years back.... I think it was at a tourny or after a tourny when the tables were open. (she's cute!) Maybe I was paying more attention to her face then her mini's... Selective Photographic memory..

Polonius
06-12-2007, 17:56
My buddy in college had a Doom Eagles army. I actually had to look up the name, because all I remember is us all calling it the "wilted lilies" due to an unfortunate streak of luck.

Iceheart2112
06-12-2007, 20:44
I'm working on a Mantis Warrior army, but most of the other marines I've played against have been the main ones (Blood Angels, Black Templar, etc.)

Triggerdog
06-12-2007, 20:47
one of my best buddies plays Mortifactors

Gen.Steiner
06-12-2007, 20:48
I'm working on a 400pt Minotaurs combat patrol. :D

My Fallen Men army has, so far:

A Minotaur, a Lamenter, a Howling Griddon, a Celestial Lion, a Scythe of Sotha, a Relictor, an Executioner, an Iron Snake, a Blood Raven, a Son of Medusa, a Novamarine, a Rainbow Warrior, and some more... ;)

Alexious
06-12-2007, 20:49
I have a praetors of orpheus army that im taking to an rtt this weekend for the first time. The biggest pain is having to hand paint the chapter symbol freehand. Probabaly one of the reasons you dont see to many non-standard armies.

CitizenNick
06-12-2007, 20:52
This is a blog about a guy who just started working on some Raptors:
http://hammersgamingblog.blogspot.com/

He's using an alternate color scheme, but still, it's not ultramarines.

FruitSmack!
06-12-2007, 20:53
I'm working on a 400pt Minotaurs combat patrol. :D

My Fallen Men army has, so far:

A Minotaur, a Lamenter, a Howling Griddon, a Celestial Lion, a Scythe of Sotha, a Relictor, an Executioner, an Iron Snake, a Blood Raven, a Son of Medusa, a Novamarine, a Rainbow Warrior, and some more... ;)

And I really like your Fallen Men, it just pains me to see that a Son of Medusa would join such a despicable band of rabble. ;)

aaron

FruitSmack!
06-12-2007, 20:56
I have a praetors of orpheus army that im taking to an rtt this weekend for the first time. The biggest pain is having to hand paint the chapter symbol freehand. Probabaly one of the reasons you dont see to many non-standard armies.

That's a big one. I almost didn't bother with the Sons of Medusa.

Then I discovered that Bell of Lost Souls and Bolter and Chainsword had printable graphics of many, many of the obscure chapters including the Sons of Medusa that can be printed on decal transfer paper.

Now, they all have perfectly identical, good looking chapter badges on their shoulder pads and vehicles. :D

aaron

Gen.Steiner
06-12-2007, 21:03
And I really like your Fallen Men, it just pains me to see that a Son of Medusa would join such a despicable band of rabble.

Hey, how do you think the Ultrasmurfs feel? The Pantokrator was one of their Terminators! :p

Firebird
06-12-2007, 21:07
I'm doing an Iron Knights force. So obscure their only mention in fluff is in the Eye of Terror codex, one line saying they had one company fighting there and that they're siege experts. Fortunately Lexicanum has their scheme up. Look it up.

FruitSmack!
06-12-2007, 21:12
Hey, how do you think the Ultrasmurfs feel? The Pantokrator was one of their Terminators! :p

Feh! Feh, I say!

I'd expect failure and trechery from lesser chapters, but not the Sons of Medusa.

In fact, five will get you ten that the wearer of that suit of power armor is nothing more than a common Ultramarine or Dark Angel that stole it from a poor dead Son of Medusa. I wouldn't put anything past them. Especially the Dark Angels. ;)

aaron

Gen.Steiner
06-12-2007, 21:13
You lose the bet I'm afraid. ;) Second Company, 4th Tactical Squad... anyone go MIA near the Maelstrom? :angel:

Cosmocrat
06-12-2007, 21:14
I played a chapter once called the "World Eaters" or some such. They were terrible. :cool:

FruitSmack!
06-12-2007, 21:20
You lose the bet I'm afraid. ;) Second Company, 4th Tactical Squad... anyone go MIA near the Maelstrom? :angel:

Never! Treacherous propaganda!

Actually, what's really funny is that my end goal is to fill out the entire 2nd battle company eventually for Apocalypse. That's too rich that your one Son of Medusa is from the very same company. :)

In fact, when I do the background on my website for the Sons of Medusa, I'm going to work the Fallen Men into their "current" history.

aaron

Sister_Sin
06-12-2007, 21:31
Howling Griffons...I painted a huge army of them back in the late 80's early 90's.

Sister Sin

boogle
06-12-2007, 21:36
Did a post Nid Scythes of the Emperor force once, never did much with it though

BladeWalker
06-12-2007, 21:36
I play Red Hunters, they are also a chapter with little or no fluff so I am in the process of writing my own fiction to accompany the army. I wanted a red army that wasn't BA to go with my Ordo Malleus army and Red Hunters are a perfect fit.

Gen.Steiner
06-12-2007, 21:46
...In fact, when I do the background on my website for the Sons of Medusa, I'm going to work the Fallen Men into their "current" history.

That's fantastic :D

I tell you what, I reckon the 4th Tactical should get black bands across their Chapter Badges as a mark of penance and sorrow. What do you think?

Culven
06-12-2007, 21:49
I play Red Hunters, they are also a chapter with little or no fluff so I am in the process of writing my own fiction to accompany the army. I wanted a red army that wasn't BA to go with my Ordo Malleus army and Red Hunters are a perfect fit.
Maybe we could get together and write some fluff that deals with both of our armies. I'm doing the 6th or 7th Co. (orange shoulder trim). PM me, if you like.

FruitSmack!
06-12-2007, 21:55
That's fantastic :D

I tell you what, I reckon the 4th Tactical should get black bands across their Chapter Badges as a mark of penance and sorrow. What do you think?

Hrm. I don't know if I like the band being across the Chapter Badge, but I think I will put a black band across the squad marking or something similar.

Delta squad will be marked with shame for one of their own falling to Chaos.

In fact, I think Tactical Squad Delta will be next on my painting list!

aaron

Gen.Steiner
06-12-2007, 22:05
Delta squad will be marked with shame for one of their own falling to Chaos.

In fact, I think Tactical Squad Delta will be next on my painting list!

Huzzah! Pics when you're done - post 'em in my log if you want. :)

starlight
06-12-2007, 22:13
It seems that I only play against DIY players or those lacking originality, as it were.:p I've yet to see anything I'd consider *obscure*. :(

However, before I settled on my Legio Phoenix Templar* Marines I was tempted to do a Mentors force (and may still....one day...).

*The Legio Phoenix Templar is an Imperial Strike Crusade that contains Marines, not specifically a Marine Legion, missing or otherwise.

Seth the Dark
06-12-2007, 22:13
I would have to say that Relictors are the rarest Chapter I've played against.

Gen.Steiner
06-12-2007, 22:21
Do DIY chapters from the C:SM count? 'cause there's my Righteous Fists...

Cypher, the Emperor
06-12-2007, 23:21
I'm currently working on Minotaurs...

I Guess they're kinda rare...

and I know a guy who has a White Consuls army thats pretty bitchin'.

Arhalien
06-12-2007, 23:25
I was tempted to do a Mentors force (and may still....one day...).

I know the feeling; and I've actually vowed never to do a Marine army, under threat of being poked with a BfSP Goblin :eek:

Oh, and I've played against a pretty obscure chapter; the Imperial 501st*
And this is the same person threatening to poke me with a Goblin *stares menacingly at Firestorm Falcon* :p

*A Star Wars Marine army :rolleyes:

Gen.Steiner
06-12-2007, 23:27
I'm currently working on Minotaurs...

What company? Mine are 6th (Tactical) Reserve. :)

Chaplain Ark
06-12-2007, 23:29
one guys i played (small 500 point game) used models to represent the marines that escaped on the Flight of the Eisenstein.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Horus_Heresy

about 4 sections down from the top.

I have to admit i did not expect that.

Sister_Sin
07-12-2007, 00:46
Well if DIY Chapters count there's my Star Guard.

Sister Sin

spacemonkey
07-12-2007, 00:47
I orginally started Space Marines with my DIY chapter and am now working on a small army of Crimson Fists, but as for obscure, I have built a Sons of Medusa Veteran Squad which I use for Kill Team games or to support my Crimson Fists. Never did get around to doing the chapter symbol on the Sons though.

Vesica
07-12-2007, 02:04
When i used to actively game i believe i once played a howling griffons army, and a half painted crimson fists.

Its a shame a few of the lesser known chapters dont get some attention from gw, would be great to see a small book on some of them.

Rahveel
07-12-2007, 02:53
My buddy has a decent sized Rainbow Warriors force.

Lt.Bradford
07-12-2007, 03:02
I'm working on the Blood Raven's Forth Company, and I'm really the only BR player in my area (and I Will not do a Captain Angelos or Thule).

Hmm.... Most of the players at my local GW are DIY guys, so I guess I never have seen many.

I NEVER have seen an entire painted Hawk Lords army anywhere.

Takitron
07-12-2007, 03:06
Im going to convert some guys into Space Sharks for a combat patrol or Movie Marines list.

LoneSniperSG
07-12-2007, 04:28
There was a spiffy looking Iron Knights force in the CoD Codex. Almost made me want to start them.

CryoMax
07-12-2007, 06:45
I had thought of doing up Blood Drinkers, which used to be popular back in the late 80's when 40k first came out. I wanted to do 'em up old-school, like the color scheme picture in the Rogue Trader rulebook, where their armor was a brownish red ("dried blood color"), and using the old school "goblet" logo. I had accumulated a bunch of Blood Angels stuff originally, though, because I wanted to a DIY chapter, "Aquamarines", which would be blue & white (and using the "drop" iconography to represent water, rather than blood).

I honestly have no idea what chapter I'll actually end up putting together. Since I already have the Drinkers' squad painted up, I'm tempted to continue with it, but I've been thinking about Aquamarines for ages now.

Funny several people mentioned Mantis Warriors; when I did up an assassin figure a long time back (near on ten years now), I put a shoulder pad on the base with a hole in it, and painted up Mantis Warrior iconography -- It came out pretty well, I was tempted for a while to try to do a chapter of those.

I love the obscure, and especially the old-school, chapters, but the problem is, there are so many to choose from! I used to adore the Mentor Legion, back from WD98, when they were all about being an "R&D department", and they had the cool owl-face logo. Seeing them done up in the Apocalypse book though, I know I couldn't do them justice, and figure people would say I was just copying that army... :) I still go back and look at the Badab War designs from the Compendium every once in a while to see if something inspires me!

...Paul

Gannon
07-12-2007, 06:55
I had a 1500 point Flesh Tearers Army once. I ran 6 Dreadnoughts back in 3rd. It was nice...

TheSanityAssassin
07-12-2007, 10:53
A fellow here has a nicely painted Celestial Lions list....tends to use them as "Faithful and the Forgotten" using Lost and the Damned rules for the surviving Lions and various PDF elements that they've stolen away to act as support for the remnants of the chapter. I also saw a small and poorly painted force of Doom Eagles and there's a nice big Disciples of Caliban army around here as well.

Other than that we mostly see Tons of Templars and Dark Angels, and one very pretty Ultramarine army. I was going to do the Brotherhood of 1000 with a squad of Mentors added in as "Deathwatch", but I've got too many projects on the go to ever get around to it.

AventineCrusader
07-12-2007, 11:03
I would have to say that Relictors are the rarest Chapter I've played against.

I've actually played against two different Relictors armies.

I play Pre-Heresy Alpha Legion, thats pretty rare...

Fixer
07-12-2007, 13:38
A friend of mine down n Portsmouth has a Lamenters army made out of Rogue Trader era minis.

Very yellow.

Gen.Steiner
07-12-2007, 14:07
A friend of mine down n Portsmouth has a Lamenters army made out of Rogue Trader era minis.

Truly sweet. Any chance of photos?

Joewrightgm
07-12-2007, 14:20
Rarest chapter where I game is one fully painted . . .

Most of the guys I play against are DIY marines. The old manager had an absolutely savage Crimson Fist army, that was very pretty.

Lexington
07-12-2007, 14:59
I started an Aurora Chapter force a few years ago after coming across a photo/short entry for them in my 2nd Edition Ultramarines book. As far as I know, they've only shown up once more in a Codex, with a similar entry in the original 3rd Edition Space Marines book.

From the Wikipedia entry:

Aurora Chapter

The Aurora Chapter is descended from Ultramarines gene-seed. The Chapter's symbol is a black, lower case alpha inside a white, twelve-pointed star. The Chapter's power armour is painted dark green, with trim in the company colour.

Sources conflict concerning the time of this Chapter's founding; while some claim the Aurora Chapter to be one of the Ultramarines' Second Founding Chapters, others place the date of their foundation as much later. They are mentioned in Dan Abnett's "Eisenhorn" omnibus as having saved an Inquisitor from a Daemonhost after it slew the Inquisitor's entire retinue.

Eventually, I ended up converting what I had of them into the Space Wolf army I still have today. Somewhat ironic, considering that they had an old rivalry with the Wolves in the background I wrote up for them.

My buddy has a decent sized Rainbow Warriors force.
Your buddy is my *******' hero. :D

Purgator Sovereign
07-12-2007, 15:09
I'm working on the Blood Raven's Forth Company, and I'm really the only BR player in my area (and I Will not do a Captain Angelos or Thule).

Hmm.... Most of the players at my local GW are DIY guys, so I guess I never have seen many.

I NEVER have seen an entire painted Hawk Lords army anywhere.

I have a soft spot for all Space Crusade chapters (except for the Ultramarines, which seemed pretty dull even back then, when I was playing Space Crusade, not knowing about 40k). I am building an Imperial Fists army myself.

baldbeachbum
07-12-2007, 16:48
I played Death Guard until the Books of Chaos got dropped from the codex. Now I building the most rare of all Space Marines. Ultra Marines, nobody plays them, everyone hates them so my army will be unique. :)

Walls
07-12-2007, 16:52
DAMMIT! I was gonna start my Emperors Warbringers. I think I found a really great way to do them en masse too: Krylon has a VERY similar green in spray, paint on details and dip!

I'll use other models for my display show off guys. :)

Warjammy
07-12-2007, 18:10
I know two guys that have sizeable Flesh Tearers, but the real winner was a Rainbow Marines player I faced in a tourney a few years ago.

I myself have a Lords of Decay Nurgle force, painted like the scheme in the new CSM, not the preview model on the GW site.

RoboSmurf
07-12-2007, 20:21
Ive got a Legion of the Damned army, lots of painting bone and flames. Lots of metal figs too.

It's only about 25% painted and I really dont play anymore either.

Chainsworded Codpiece
07-12-2007, 22:29
I'm fond of old/"rare" Chapters.

That includes, by the way, Ultramarines un-bling'd, without all the crappy "gallant-knight" hoohah that McNeil et al gave them. Like how they were back in '87-'88. They looked good, then. Much more generic and pared-down, but good.

As it stands I'm still working on/f@kking up miserably on painting a multi-Chapter ad-hoc "Attack Force" made up of:

-A few Crimson Fists
-About three Howling Griffons (I'm too lazy to paint that quartered pattern over and over)
-One Minotaur; the original, like what the visionary General Steiner has, not the crappy "White/Bronze Minotaur" poseur Chapters
-Yes, a whole crapload of the Warbearers (I was actually inspired towards these guys from reading about them at length on the Bolter & Chainsword; they're not as "obscure" as we'd all like to think)
-Some Silver Skulls, the way they looked in Rogue Trader (I don't know how many yet)
-A fair number of Marines Errant sprinkled through the ranks (not a full squad though; again, I'm lazy)
-A lot of the "Rainbow Warriors"-esque Radiant Storm; similar paintscheme,but their "rainbow" is just green/yellow/red, much wider and bolder, and echoed in vert.stripes down the legplates and/or forearm greaves
-And to round it off, at least two squads of my own Wolves Carnelian, my own version of the Red Wolves, but with more pizzazz visually, and no relation whatsoever to the Sons of Russ. No beards, no wolf-pelt trophy-capes, nothin'.

Kerflunc
07-12-2007, 23:29
a friend of mine has a space sharks army, and i am working on an Iron hands force right now

Gaius_Baltar
07-12-2007, 23:38
The most obscure marine chapterI've played agains has to be; the Howling Griffons.

The guy I played against is Dave McLeod; who won the 2005 Canadian Hall of Heroes tournament... Really good guy, and awesome army
http://ca.games-workshop.com/Community/Events_Coverage/Montreal_05/tournament/40k_HG_DaveM/40k_DaveM.htm

Purgator Sovereign
08-12-2007, 08:08
The most obscure marine chapterI've played agains has to be; the Howling Griffons.

The guy I played against is Dave McLeod; who won the 2005 Canadian Hall of Heroes tournament... Really good guy, and awesome army
http://ca.games-workshop.com/Community/Events_Coverage/Montreal_05/tournament/40k_HG_DaveM/40k_DaveM.htm

:confused: The Sons of Golgotha, a custom SM chapter I've seen on the web, is almost exactly like those. They're Court Jester's he's a member here. A search on CMON will convince you.

glowing in the dark
08-12-2007, 08:22
Most obscure chapter,eh?
That'll have to be (tadah)Brotherhood of steel!!!:chrome:
And it's commander General Barnaky himself! Really nicely done i must add...

inquisitor solarris
08-12-2007, 08:25
i've seen (not played sadlyTT_TT) a mortifactors,imperial fist and actually played against a iron hands force

Sister_Sin
08-12-2007, 13:10

Those are nicely done. I painted the backpacks on mine black to set off the quartered scheme of the miniature. In the same vein, vehicle turrets and such were black as well, with shoulder pad trim denoting company color.

I still have a solid force of them in fact. Always did like that Chapter.

Sister Sin

Gen.Steiner
08-12-2007, 14:37

That includes, by the way, Ultramarines un-bling'd, without all the crappy "gallant-knight" hoohah that McNeil et al gave them. Like how they were back in '87-'88. They looked good, then. Much more generic and pared-down, but good.

Yeh, I like them like that myself. I'm a 2nd Edition nut when it comes to Codex: Ultramarines. :D I really should get round to that 2nd to 4th Ed Ultramarines Conversion Log...

One Minotaur; the original, like what the visionary General Steiner has, not the crappy "White/Bronze Minotaur" poseur Chapters

Visionary, eh? :D Tell you what, tho', painting a 400pt Combat Patrol like that will be such a pain... but I'm looking forwards to it. No, really!

Most obscure chapter,eh?
That'll have to be (tadah)Brotherhood of steel!!!:chrome:
And it's commander General Barnaky himself! Really nicely done i must add...

Do they by any chance need any Vertibird plans? :angel:

Cirrus the Blue
08-12-2007, 14:45

Hey! I'm working on one of those, too! :D (however ultimately slow progress on that army may very well be...) I saw the article in WD and loved the updated paintjob for them so I had to give them a go. The quartered crimson and golden yellow looks very royal and quite sharp I think. In the Index Astartes, there's a cut-away poster of the Land Raider and has a colour variant for the Howling Griffons and it looks great. :)

- Cirrus

Icarus
08-12-2007, 15:37
One day... one day.... I will make the remaining 300 Marines of the Lamenters chapter in all their glory.

Right after I finish painting these...... :)

Gen.Steiner
08-12-2007, 16:19
One day... one day.... I will make the remaining 300 Marines of the Lamenters chapter in all their glory.

Right after I finish painting these...... :)

*steals idea*

Chapter Master + Command Squad + Master Librarian = 7 marines (293)

Techmarines (3) with 12 Servitors (290)

1st Company Captain + Command Squad + Master Chaplain = 7 marines (283)
1st Company Librarian + Command Squad = 6 marines (277)
Two Terminator Squads = 10 marines (267)
Nine veteran squads = 30 marines (177)

2nd Company Captain + Command Squad + Librarian = 7 marines (170)
Six Tactical squads = 60 marines (110)
Two Devastator squads and Assault squads = 40 marines (70)

3rd Company Captain + Command Squad + Chaplain = 7 marines (63)
Two Tactical squads = 20 marines (53)
Devastator and Assault Squad = 20 marines (33)

10th Company Captain + Librarian + Chaplain = 3 marines (30)
Six Scout squads = 30 marines (0)

There you go! Add in some vehicles, the odd Dreadnought, and you've got the Lamenters! :D

baldbeachbum
08-12-2007, 16:21

Yeh, I like them like that myself. I'm a 2nd Edition nut when it comes to Codex: Ultramarines. :D I really should get round to that 2nd to 4th Ed Ultramarines Conversion Log...

I'm a fan too.
McNeill did fine with the battle at the end of Nightbringer. Made the rest of the book palitable. However the next two books went over the top. He did great with Guardians of the Forest. But then Brets are hoohah.

Zedsdead
08-12-2007, 16:37
i have a 2000pt inceptor army. Fully painted. with made up iconogrophy. The chapter symbol is an "i" formed from the fast attack lighting bolt icon.
Fluff wise they play like ultramarines accept they are FAST rapid response either fully drop podded or a mix of pods and rhinos/LRC.

The army looks impressive on the table. When they hear the name most are suprised to see such a rare army.

vampires are cool!
08-12-2007, 17:03
Fire Hawks. Yes, i know what your thinking, but a gentleman down the local had a combat patrol of the most beautiful models i'd ever seen. Instantly i challenged him to a game and realized that they were post heresy Fire Hawks. Since the Legion of the Damned are the only remains of them left i was surprised that he called them post heresy.

His fluff indicated that these were part of a scout force that had been separated from the FH fleet and been hunting for them ever since.

Chainsworded Codpiece
08-12-2007, 17:07
i have a 2000pt inceptor army. Fully painted. with made up iconogrophy. The chapter symbol is an "i" formed from the fast attack lightning bolt icon.

Well, of course, now I want to see the army! How did you form an "I" from the Fast-Attack bolt? I'm intrigued! Or is it a lower-case "i", as you actually transcribed?

I'm always looking for rad glyphs/runes/logos to assimilate/rip off...

I just looked up "Incept" in the New World Dictionary (my OED is from 1978 and is heavy, gigantic and requires a magn.glass). Apparently, loosely translated, your Chapter's name means, "Ones Who Begin Things". Hmmmm.

I've no idea if there are any connotative meanings that are present, as I'm to lazy to go looking in OED for etymologies or word histories. Still, a suitably cryptic name that might mean different things...

False Fable
08-12-2007, 18:02
A good friend of mine in college had a large and well-painted White Panthers army that I played against often.

Pacific
08-12-2007, 20:42
Grief Bringers - painted correctly in deep purple with pea-green should pad trim :cheese:

Icarus
08-12-2007, 20:44
*steals idea*

Chapter Master + Command Squad + Master Librarian = 7 marines (293)

Techmarines (3) with 12 Servitors (290)

1st Company Captain + Command Squad + Master Chaplain = 7 marines (283)
1st Company Librarian + Command Squad = 6 marines (277)
Two Terminator Squads = 10 marines (267)
Nine veteran squads = 30 marines (177)

2nd Company Captain + Command Squad + Librarian = 7 marines (170)
Six Tactical squads = 60 marines (110)
Two Devastator squads and Assault squads = 40 marines (70)

3rd Company Captain + Command Squad + Chaplain = 7 marines (63)
Two Tactical squads = 20 marines (53)
Devastator and Assault Squad = 20 marines (33)

10th Company Captain + Librarian + Chaplain = 3 marines (30)
Six Scout squads = 30 marines (0)

There you go! Add in some vehicles, the odd Dreadnought, and you've got the Lamenters! :D

Awesome idea there! Throw in some traits to give them Preferred Enemy against nids etc. and thats an extremely cool and fluffy army. I'd probably scar up a lot of the power armour and stuff, and give them lots of Dead 'Nids as trophies. *drools in anticipation of the possiblities*

Mind you it would take me a like a year to paint. Would be worth it though if i could find somebody with a big enough Nids army. Stage a massive Apocalypse battle where 300 Lamenters Marines make an amazing last stand against hundreds of thousands of persian troops.... er i mean Tyranids. :angel:

garsty3000
08-12-2007, 21:21
me ive got my salamanders on the go for the last 5 years and i feel the are over looked but i hope the stay that way let BT get the on dex thank u very much :)

PlasticFork
08-12-2007, 22:41
I'm thinking about painting a tactical squad of Mentors for my Witch Hunters at some point. I don't think I'd use them much, but I think they'd fit in on the principle of their fluff where they 'loan' out squads to learn from other fighting formations.

They're quite closely associated with the Adeptus Mechanicus, and I think it would be fun to try and model some highly tooled up marines.

Captin Korea!
08-12-2007, 22:44
I have had the honor of playing with the "pink poney" SM chapter.

Gen.Steiner
09-12-2007, 14:04
Awesome idea there! Throw in some traits to give them Preferred Enemy against nids etc. and thats an extremely cool and fluffy army. I'd probably scar up a lot of the power armour and stuff, and give them lots of Dead 'Nids as trophies. *drools in anticipation of the possiblities*

Mind you it would take me a like a year to paint. Would be worth it though if i could find somebody with a big enough Nids army. Stage a massive Apocalypse battle where 300 Lamenters Marines make an amazing last stand against hundreds of thousands of persian troops.... er i mean Tyranids. :angel:

Would be pretty darn funky, wouldn't it? To be honest, I don't think you should trait 'em - just make 'em totally Codex: Marines so that when the 5th/Redux codex comes out you won't have too much fiddling about to do.

Or alternatively, I'd take only one trait and a quite restrictive flaw, probably that one where the opponent can choose to play an extra turn or something.

Icarus
09-12-2007, 14:45
Death Before Dishonour would be a very fluffy one since you mention it! That plus the Tyranid fighting one I think.

But like you say, by the time I'd actually get them painted there'll probably be a new codex so not worth worrying about.

Also I have to get the chapter badge sorted out, its quite a fiddly one.

Voltaire01
09-12-2007, 14:55
I have a Relictors army now...had the Raptors, but sold them long ago...I also play a Iron Warriors style Brazen Cobras army as well.

Gen.Steiner
09-12-2007, 14:57
Icarus, if you check my Fallen Men project log, there's a Lamenter in there. I found the Chapter Badge was quite fun to paint - black and white chequerboard on the pad, then a disc of Skull White, and a Blood Red heart in the middle.

Not too hard, not too easy, just right. :) Repeating it 300 times, however, might cause temporary insanity. ;)

Icarus
09-12-2007, 15:28
Aye, looks pretty nice the way you've done it there Gen. Steiner. Nice freehand work, and it looks good without being overly complicated.

As you say, could cause insanity, but I feel its a calculated risk.. :evilgrin:

Gen.Steiner
09-12-2007, 15:35
At least you'd get to do loads of conversions and things, and you could do it a squad at a time as opposed to a company at a time... have it as a really long-term project, so you'd reward yourself with a Lamenters squad in between every other army's squad or something. I dunno.

Sleazy
09-12-2007, 15:52
Howling Griffins in RT.

Also Raven Guard in early 3rd when they were the only founding chapter with next to no fluff and absolutley no models.

Nowadays I use Soul Drinkers who are a bit better known.

Icarus
09-12-2007, 15:57
At least you'd get to do loads of conversions and things, and you could do it a squad at a time as opposed to a company at a time... have it as a really long-term project, so you'd reward yourself with a Lamenters squad in between every other army's squad or something. I dunno.

That is most probably what will happen. Especially due to how i'll have to budget it ;)

Thanks for the ideas though, much appreciated.

Gen.Steiner
09-12-2007, 16:09
That is most probably what will happen. Especially due to how i'll have to budget it ;)

Thanks for the ideas though, much appreciated.

If you wait a few days I'll even write you an army list if you want. :D

FashaTheDog
09-12-2007, 17:43
I remember the first time I saw a Howling Griffons army was on the back of a White Dwarf magazine, one of the 170s issues I believe, maybe 180s. By that time I already had plenty ofMarines in my own custom scheme. My current "Chapter" runs the traits Purity Above All and Death Before Dishonor with one minor legal change to Purity Above All, it is mandatory that all squads that have the option of an Apothecary must take it. This has lead to a few folks seeing me take a matched pair of five man Tactical squads with a lascannon and Apothecary to run as Devastator-lite squads in addition to my standard eight strong squads. With the rumors of traits going out the window when the redo the Marine codex, I will need to repaint my 150+ (conservative estimate) Order of the Dark Rose Marines (Black with either silver trim for mk 6 or red trim for all others). I still have another 86 more under construction from the Battle Company I bought so I have slowed down some to work on my other armies that are in various stages of readiness; Dark Eldar (need Raiders and Ravagers), D-99 (need more infantry and flyers), regular Guard (need more infantry), Chaos (have a Daemon Princess, some Plague Marines, Thousand Suns, and the snakey Bloodletters), Biel-Tan (need to paint them and add Shining Spears), Pre-Heresy Dark Angels (to complement and possibly replace my regular Dark Angels Company and a half), Space Wolves (Need an Exterminator and Land Raider to bump upto 1850), Tau (converting 2000 points to a O'Shovah list), Sisters (need to paint the 750 I have and add more), and Tyranids (never can have too many 'Stealers, as well as a brood of 32 Hormagaunts to follow my Trygon (see below) and perhaps I'll be able to turn my Nidzilla list into a more standard list by the release of the next Codex Marine book). Anyway, I digress, I will most likely have to repaint tham as Red Scorpions and run the IA4 rules for them to keep all of the Apothecaries in place.

http://warseer.com/gallery/data/500/medium/Trygon031.jpg

Fangschrecken
09-12-2007, 21:06
i was gonna say something about how I play mantis warriors (legion?) but it seems that they are not as rare as I thought

Gen.Steiner
10-12-2007, 04:53
Anyway, I digress, I will most likely have to repaint tham as Red Scorpions and run the IA4 rules for them to keep all of the Apothecaries in place.

Or, you could use the IA4 Red Scorpion rules and keep your own colour scheme. It seems a complete waste to throw your custom chapter in the bin just because the Traits will go, I think.

Thepostalone
13-12-2007, 20:42
I play pre Badab uprising Tiger Claws ( not astral claws! ). I started back in RT and just kept slapping more minis into it as the years have gone by. After much prodding actually wrote some fluff explaining why they were still running around being the good guys. Taking a page from old fluff about how the traitor legions had to kill off those that wouldnt convert I had Huron send off those he knew wouldnt convert on a crusade with old gear and other out of date equipment and then promptly writing them off. I figured that it would be at least a company in strength and could be explained that since the fluff said he was behind on his tythes (geneseed would be in there ) Huron had been making more marines than proscribed by the codex. But the jokes on him! They survived, looked around, swore mightly and started going around trying to salvage thier good name. :D

Gen.Steiner
14-12-2007, 15:44
I play pre Badab uprising Tiger Claws

Genius. :D I like that.

Rhaivaen
13-04-2013, 21:03
I have an attempt to play with marines from the Desert Lions Chapter, their only reference coming out of the red Compendium book from the RT era..
That and I am currently working on some Minotaur allies for my Imperial Guards..

In the old days of RT I used ot play the then rare Blood Angels, but I just now only bought the codex of them for use as Minotaurs.

sonsoftherock
13-04-2013, 23:41
I've played against Relictors, Lamenters, Celestial Lions, Iron Snakes and Raven Guard. Round here Crimson and Imperial Fists are relatively common (I have Imperial Fists myself).

My own homebrew chapter The Sons of the Rock currently get about one game per edition of 40k, so they are pretty rare!

MajorWesJanson
14-04-2013, 03:42
I've run into a fully painted Death Strike force at my FLGS. Thought they were Rainbow warriors at first because of the old school winged bolt and stripe down the center of the helmet, but nope.

Ssilmath
14-04-2013, 04:02
Wow, this is epic level threadnomancy. 6 years between posts, give or take a month.

That said, I've played against a full Legion of the Damned army, about a year before this thread closed. Flames, bones, everything sculpted onto the models by the player, it was quite impressive.

Horus38
14-04-2013, 04:05
Wow, this is epic level threadnomancy. 6 years between posts, give or take a month.

That said, I've played against a full Legion of the Damned army, about a year before this thread closed. Flames, bones, everything sculpted onto the models by the player, it was quite impressive.

Nice! Guess he didn't want to pay $16 apiece for the GW ones :p

thanoson
14-04-2013, 04:43
Mentor Legion. They were in charge of trying out all the experimental stuff or something like that. Was pretty fun way back when. Phase field cutter, targeting web and something else I forget.

Voss
14-04-2013, 06:40
So, like the title of the thread states... who has played a "rare" or "obscure" chapter before (one that is a listed and recognized chapter)? I'm almost tempted to do a small force of Skull Bearers or Lords of Wrath now myself... it was a fun change of pace!
In ~25 years of playing 40k, I've never seen anyone play an unknown or rare (or custom) chapter. Well, other than the relatively obscure Plastic Grey or Primer Black chapters.
But if they're painted, they're invariably first founding or occasionally the better known successors like Black Templars, Flesh Tearers or Angels of Whichever.

Ssilmath
14-04-2013, 08:18
In ~25 years of playing 40k, I've never seen anyone play an unknown or rare (or custom) chapter. Well, other than the relatively obscure Plastic Grey or Primer Black chapters.
But if they're painted, they're invariably first founding or occasionally the better known successors like Black Templars, Flesh Tearers or Angels of Whichever.

I have most of a Battle Company of Eagle Warriors painted right now, and have almost 2 more companies waiting in the wings to be painted (I got a really good deal on second hand models). I plan on having a full Chapter eventually.

Angelwing
14-04-2013, 12:13

I play a custom chapter, which is a strike force of a friends custom chapter. i also have a 5 man death watch team consisting of either obscure or background defying chapters. Of course later forgeworld got in on the act and used two of the chapters I picked to make lovely models for! haha

Nikolaus
14-04-2013, 13:20
My friend has the Tiger Claws painted in original colours http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/images/thumb/f/f8/Tiger_Claws_%281989%29.jpg/125px-Tiger_Claws_%281989%29.jpg

and hates the Badab books for updating their fluff and chapter colours

primarch16
14-04-2013, 19:20
I recently started a Storm Lords chapter, you can see the WIP here:

deathrain-commander
14-04-2013, 19:31
Whenever someone starts up a Vanilla Marines army, I always advise them to go with Raven Guard, since I feel they have the least amount of love of the Founding Chapters. Only one person has listened to me. Oh well.

As for non-Founding Chapters, I've always been kind of fond of the Mantis Warriors. You could always try to play Blood Ravens...

primarch16
14-04-2013, 20:14
Whenever someone starts up a Vanilla Marines army, I always advise them to go with Raven Guard, since I feel they have the least amount of love of the Founding Chapters. Only one person has listened to me. Oh well.

As for non-Founding Chapters, I've always been kind of fond of the Mantis Warriors. You could always try to play Blood Ravens...

I've seen more raven guard than iron hands to be fair. Might do iron hands next...

Frep
14-04-2013, 20:27
In my gaming group we don't really have any of the more popular marine armies. I play my DIY marines, 90% painted battle company and a good half of the 1st company. My one buddy plays a very nicely painted Blood Ravens force. Other than that the only other marines we have around are a pair of Flesh Tearers armies and one small force of Space Wolves.

burad
15-04-2013, 00:19
I am hoping some day to be able to play with the 1700 points of Legion of the Damned I painted using that Apoc list.

Horus Lupercal
15-04-2013, 00:29
Well I have 3 marine armies on the go a the moment.

Dark Angels, Blood Ravens (literally just started. The colour scheme looks fantastic in the fleash)

My 3rd is my own BA successors, the Scorpions of Baal.

daemonprinceyourself
15-04-2013, 03:37
I am working on an Exorcists 8th assault reserve company army. I like the Exorcists fluff and I like bikes :)

iamtheeviltwin
15-04-2013, 06:23

If you click through my sig you will see my custom chapter I have fielded since 3ed. (well I skipped 4 and 5th) There are several others in my local area who play nicely painted and converted custom chapters as well. I've always liked the encouragement from GW to make this your own game and frankly find it disappointing so many people choose to only play "pre-written" chapters.