PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone have proof that there will be a 5th edition soon?

twj
06-12-2007, 18:15
As a casual visitor (like many others) I've noticed various threads regarding a possible 5th edition coming soon. As some of us don't have the time (or inclination) to read through 20 pages or so, I was wondering if someone could possibly post some definitive proof that there will be a 5th edition soonish...

electricblooz
06-12-2007, 18:21
no definitive proof - as in no one claims to have seen the printed book.

still - several people who are always "in the know" have suggested they have seen/heard things

search for posts by Dosadi, brimstone, venerable dread and ChaosMaster! (sorry) :)

ChaosMaster
06-12-2007, 18:24
I first started hearing about 5th edition 40K back in the spring of this year. First a trickle and then a flood of GW employees are now talking about the upcoming 5th edition, and they're all saying by next summer or fall (2008). Rarely is something in the Warhammer world so widely talked about that it isn't relatively accurate. Of course, release dates and other plans are always subject to change and with a year to go anything can happen, but as of now it appears a 5th edition will be out by this time next year. I also hear employees talking about a new starter set to replace Macragge as well as a new 40K rulebook.

MuttMan
06-12-2007, 18:34
Just another 50 bucks I have to fork out. Honestly, these days the only things GW gets me to buy from them directly are books.

junglesnake
06-12-2007, 23:59
Proof is in the pudding. Its GW and they have an addiction to updates. What I want to know is that does this mean all of the recent codexs will be out of date this time next year?

I am not going to be a happy man if my DA codex is going to be re-written again!

Grimtuff
07-12-2007, 00:06
Just another 50 bucks I have to fork out. Honestly, these days the only things GW gets me to buy from them directly are books.

Oh noes! You have to spend 25 every 4 years or so to keep playing this game in an up-to-date fashion. Will GW's evil know no bounds? :rolleyes:

blackroyal
07-12-2007, 00:09
I am not going to be a happy man if my DA codex is going to be re-written again!

Then I have bad news... at some point in the future your codex will be re-written.

Just kidding.

I just hope that GW changes enough that I don't feel ripped off by 5th.

Xenocidal Maniac
07-12-2007, 00:14
Pretty much every even semi-legit rumor I've hard on Warseer has ended up being true... especially if Brimstone is saying there is vailidity to it. So, I'd say it's pretty safe to bet on 5th ed coming out soon.

I welcome it! :D

Tymell
07-12-2007, 02:13
Oh noes! You have to spend 25 every 4 years or so to keep playing this game in an up-to-date fashion. Will GW's evil know no bounds? :rolleyes:

25 is still 25. 25 no one should have to spend when it doesn't need a new edition in the slightest.

From what I've heard, there's something up, but I'd say a basic tweaking of FAQ-style-of-thing is far more likely. If it -is- a 5th edition I really am just giving up on GW's endless and largely pointless updates.

starlight
07-12-2007, 02:19
Lord Cook: Apparently not enough, which combined with Kirby stepping down haven't reassured investors.

5th Ed is a certainty, as is 6th Ed, and 7th Ed. Every 4-5ish years GW will redo thier core games. 2004 was 40K, 2006 was WFB, 2008 is most likely for 5th Ed 40K, 2010 for 8th Ed WFB and so on.

Yes, we will get new editions and yes, you will have to buy new books. I've been saying this since they announced that 4th Ed 40K wouldn't invalidate existing books:rolleyes:. At first people ran around complaining that they were going to have to buy new books, then they started complaining that *their* book wasn't coming fast enough...:rolleyes:

Occulto
07-12-2007, 02:53
From what I've heard, there's something up, but I'd say a basic tweaking of FAQ-style-of-thing is far more likely.

FAQs rewriting rules suck. FAQs providing rules commentary that aid players are good.

I speak as a DW player who got tired of carrying round a folder of revisions and FAQs, just to play my army under the previous codex.

On a few occasions, I also received the "well I didn't see that FAQ" comment - Obliterators changing toughness from 5 to 4(5) is one of the best examples.

In that situation, what was I supposed to do? Carry not only the FAQs for my own army, but also those of potentially every army I could face? Towards the end there, that got to be quite a hefty amount.

Brimstone
07-12-2007, 06:44
Please take discussions on GW's stock price to an assortment of threads in other GW discussion as this thread is about 5th edition.

The Warseer Inquisition

leonmallett
07-12-2007, 08:30
25 is still 25. 25 no one should have to spend when it doesn't need a new edition in the slightest.

From what I've heard, there's something up, but I'd say a basic tweaking of FAQ-style-of-thing is far more likely. If it -is- a 5th edition I really am just giving up on GW's endless and largely pointless updates.

FAQs rewriting rules suck. FAQs providing rules commentary that aid players are good.

I speak as a DW player who got tired of carrying round a folder of revisions and FAQs, just to play my army under the previous codex.

On a few occasions, I also received the "well I didn't see that FAQ" comment - Obliterators changing toughness from 5 to 4(5) is one of the best examples.

In that situation, what was I supposed to do? Carry not only the FAQs for my own army, but also those of potentially every army I could face? Towards the end there, that got to be quite a hefty amount.

For the sake of universal access to the current incarnation of the ruleset, publishing a new edition rather than relying on downloads is the only fair approach as Occulto points out. In many ways WH40K and WFB players have been lucky as revision every 6 years or so (as has been the case until now) isn't that bad. In addition, the hobby is a luxury - if you play in a group of friends you as a player have the option to set yourselves at a particular edition. For pick-up games the rule-set needs universal access for all players to what is the current set, which isn't the case with reliance on the internet for downloads/FAQ's/updates, since there is still not universal access to the internet, and even then it requires that those playing look for update. The hobby is a luxury - that main rulebook at 25/$50 or thereabouts every 4 years is still only around the price of one of the cheaper blister packs per year, and so is not overpriced in my view.

5th edition? Bring it on. I liked 3rd edition, and I liked 4th even more. I look forward to what 5th brings 9refinement rather than revolution, I suspect).

TheNZer
07-12-2007, 08:48
I've heard from a seemingly relible person that 5th Ed is not on, but I really have no idea.

the1stpip
07-12-2007, 10:26
Having spoken to Brian Aderson on Sunday, he has not heard anything of 5th ed. Now he is not a studio member (UK events organiser and WW manager) but I am sure he would have heard something.

twj
07-12-2007, 11:09
Still no conclusive proof yet though. So far, we've had "it's a rumour and all rumours on Warseer come true". Along with random quotes and analyses of various things....

FooFighter
07-12-2007, 11:55
Hopefully the Rulebook will mesh nicely with the current Codices, and will also contain an upto-date FAQ/Errata list too.
I would hate for the Rulebook to be out before the full compliment of racial codex are released - nothing worse than having an an army that cannot be used.

Astromarine
07-12-2007, 12:37
Its GW and they have an addiction to updates.

Honestly, these days the only things GW gets me to buy from them directly are books.

You know, I seem to detect a pattern...

zeep
07-12-2007, 15:12
Generally, by the time they pay for development, testing, etc they dont make much of a profit on the rules themselves. There was a quote on this, but for the life of me I cant find it.

Captain Micha
07-12-2007, 15:27
I'd say it's pretty reliable information at this point 5th edition is coming. By they way Macraggre is being replaced with some kind of ork and space marine thing. Go figure eh?

We've been hearing very specific details such as rules in regards to the next edition. And you can't have details of rules, without a new ruleset coming down the line.

Also the major design shift that they had from Codex Dark Angels onward, is another subtle proof that 5th edition is coming.

the1stpip
07-12-2007, 15:51
I have also heard that they are just going to be doing a new BfM boxed set, but with Orks (also that the new plastic Ork Dread will be in there).

Apparently they want to try and fit as much in they did with BfSP.

Preston
07-12-2007, 15:53
I hope theres a new boxed set, at around $50. I might end up having a small SM army soon (or a larger group of recently turned traitors). The terrain and such from the BfMc is great, and I love the digest sized rule book.