PDA

View Full Version : wow moments

silence
06-12-2007, 21:47
What moments have you seen in a game that made you think, wow, thats pretty awesome. Was it when you first saw Vivec in Morrowind or a major dwarf city in World of Warcraft. Or was it even when Duke ripped the head off a demon as promised (if you plaed Duke Nukem you know what I mean...). Or anything else that was just a wow moment :)

Melchiah
06-12-2007, 21:56
the trailer to DoW when i first bought it was pretty bad ass.
my wife cant get over flying in WoW (not the mounts, just the pay to fly.)

Gannon
06-12-2007, 22:18
I have to agree with Melchiah. That opening Trailer to DoW was freaking awesome. I watched it over and over and over and... Well you ge the picture. When that burna boy with the cigar doused the Space Marine was priceless.

I just started Mass effect last night and the scene in your first mission when you cross the ridge and see the Geth space ship taking off was totally astounding as well. I'm only a couple of hours into it but I know I'm going to be playing this game for a while.

pwrgmrguard
06-12-2007, 22:23
the overkill extermination stick i got about an hour ago in halo 3. Seriously i'll post the video. My gamertag is the same as my warseer name.

Cade
06-12-2007, 22:30
The first time you get a fully awakened Monolith in Dark Crusade.

*BAZAM!*

Takes your breath away.

Kaze
06-12-2007, 22:32
Awesome moments in games (both interactive and non-interactive):
- FFX presentation video. Hard Rock + FF = wowness;
- Killing 500 enemies in HS in the Final Chapter (both normal and goddess Nariko);
- Zero-Shifting for the first time;

A special section to a beautiful game - World of Warcraft:
- The first time I battled Onyxia;
- The first time I saw Ragnaros;
- The first time I stepped into Alterac Valley BG;

Did I mention Zero-Shifting for the first time?

Kahadras
06-12-2007, 22:33
Dunno. There have been quite a few. Fighting my way up the valley in the M1A1 in Crysis was pretty awesome. My first glimpse of the abandoned Japanese aircraft carrier on Farcry was pretty good as well.

Kahadras

der_lex
06-12-2007, 23:01
Things that come to mind:

- Looking down the stairwell in St Francis' Folly in the original Tomb Raider

- The intro to FFVI, the summons animations, and the first time I saw Sephiroths little planet killer attack

- My first glimpse of Ocarina of Time (remember, I started gaming in the Atari 800 xl era...3D graphics were a big 'wow' moment in general.

- Watching people 5 star Through the Fire and the Flames on expert in Guitar Hero 3

- Akuma's first appearance and subsequent kicking of my ass in SSF2 Turbo

Vodevil
06-12-2007, 23:04
The last two hours of Metal Gear Solid 2 define "wow".

Snoozer
06-12-2007, 23:14
When I entered Outlands for the first time, just awesome.

Most things that I saw in World of Warcraft for the first time actually were pretty cool, the world is just so big and beautiful, I have stopped playing it now that I have already seen all of it :p

The intro to Warhammer Mark of Chaos was also... well "wow", I still have the intro on my computer, watched it today actually when I heard about the expansion for it, never played the game though.

:D

Kabal of The Ordo Mallius
06-12-2007, 23:21
-Tyriel's angelic wings in Diablo 2
-DoW movie
-Halo on Xbox
-Dungeon Keeper 2 (that game is totally WOW)

theunwantedbeing
06-12-2007, 23:27
The intro for armoured core 4 is pretty slick.
(or the trailer...the one thats all brown whatever that is)

Zone of the enders, both games, all the way through.

Rabid Bunny 666
06-12-2007, 23:44
Intro to Brood Wars, watched it so many times, can actually remember most of it.

==Me==
07-12-2007, 00:20
Halo 3 final level and ending cutscenes
Akatosh vs Mehrunes Dagon in Oblivion
First seeing the Citadel in Mass Effect

Makaber
07-12-2007, 00:40
Ah, yes ... Nerd nostalgia.

Seeing Rapture for the first time.
First time fighting Ragnaros.
Downing General RAAM.
A couple of scenes in Call of Duty 4.
Planescape: Torment conclusion.
Oh, and the other Bioshock scene.

Arkzein
07-12-2007, 00:47
The initial Battle with the Dragon on the space station in Super Metroid was probably the first such moment I had.

The intro with Gorion in Baldur's Gate (Cliche, but left you knowing the game was going to be superb)

The first part of Half life when you're conducting the experiment.

Redident Evil, one small part where you're picking up a key in a room with one way glass and the licker bursts through it. Scared the bejuses out of all three of us sitting watching it in a darkened room. ;)

Most recently the Intro to Bioshock, after the cutscene just sitting then and then realising "Wow I'm In game now, the water just looks *that* good" ;)

And on the down side the ending to the first Populous game. 500 levels, 7 years (as a kid) to complete and left just staring stupidly at the worst ending I've ever seen. *laughs*

Drogmir
07-12-2007, 00:48
In Medieval 2 Total War when the Mongols arrives and starting killing EVERYTHING! on the east side of the world was the defined a "WOW" moment. But in this case it's more of a "WOAH" followed by an "AAAAAGGGHHH!!!!!"

Angelwing
07-12-2007, 00:50
Tomb raider: the folly, and that t rex moment.
Final fantasy VII trailer and Knights of Round summon.
Final fantasy VIII trailer
GTA san andreas: Just gob smacked at how big the play area was.
DOW intro
Getting offered the special missions in Elite

Outlaw289
07-12-2007, 03:19
The first Russian mission in the original Call of Duty
The DoW intro
The Shagohod chase in MGS3
Getting the Tank mask in Kid Chameleon

ghost hunter
07-12-2007, 06:27
The moment a few hours into morrowind when you look at the map and realize wow big place!

The first time seeing rapture

The sniper lvls on cod4

kortholaxthedamned
07-12-2007, 09:49
Tank charges across the map in Company of Heroes. Just awesome.

Stormtrooper Clark
07-12-2007, 09:57
When the nuke goes off in Call of Duty 4, it was probably the biggest "Oh shi-" moment in video games ever.

And the part after it is even more 'WOAH'

hairyman
07-12-2007, 10:24
Some of my "Wow" moments:

Making my BBC micro make funny noises and turn the screen mauve. Hours of copying text out of a book, but it made the computer do something!

Playing Doom for the first time on my old 486.

Being 11 or 12 and seeing the original Pools of Radiance on my mate's Amiga.

Watching the cut scenes in FFVII for the first time.

Watching a friend play the first Baldur's Gate.

The first time I played Half-Life.

The first time I played Morrowind.

My first battle on Shogun TW.

Lord Lucifer
07-12-2007, 11:06
Those moments in DOOM when the excrement hits the spinning ventilation instrument and suddenly an army of hell demons and gribbly beasties begins to materialize is certainly a 'wow' moment. As in 'wow, I could be screwed here'

Clocking Wonderboy 3: The Dragons Trap on the Sega Master System was probably a 'wow' moment... I feel it was, can't remember clearly.

End sequence to Resident Evil 2 probably, going through that without saving probably elevated it beyond its' station though.
The Res. Evil 1 intro though, was classy.

Anyone that knows me knows my inevitable response, though:
SILENT HILL.
Intro movie with the spanish guitar, the dark alley with the wheelchair and the funky camera angles, and the horrible moment when you realize you're trapped and there's no way out
Also when Lisa 'turns' is a low blow, and the end where 'Tears of...' plays

SH2 has so much awesome WOW! moments.
Eddie going nuts is just awesome, anything involving Maria being ambiguous and mildly menacing, Angela making her decision was nearly heart-breaking, descending into your own grave was awesome, any time Pyramid Head was on screen was made of pure win, and then the final act of the game where you find out what happened to Mary, everything gets completely messed up, and you read her letter in full before, well, one of the final ending options... it packs an incredible emotional punch!
And then, of course, in SH3
Harry! NO! :cries:

xbevisx
07-12-2007, 11:16
The MASSIVE cannon in FFVII that shoots the weapon was pretty damn cool.

Also, most of the stuff that happens in Dead Rising. Finding new inventive ways of zombie mushing. Lawnmower anyone?

Glad someone mentioned Kid Chameleon. I loved that game. Hockey Mask ftw.

The Laughing Man!
07-12-2007, 11:37
The last level of Mass Effect and almost all of Assassins Creed.

talos935
07-12-2007, 11:45
Most recently the Intro to Bioshock, after the cutscene just sitting then and then realising "Wow I'm In game now, the water just looks *that* good"

Seconded

GTA:San Andreas, just for the sheer scale of the game [once you have unlocked all the map :(]

The first time you make it through Pripyat in STALKER

I'll probablies think of more later...........

Tonberry
07-12-2007, 12:04
First time Chainsaw bayonneting someone on Gears of War, and the initial plane crash scene in Bioshock.

Jedi152
07-12-2007, 12:27
You all know my feelings by now - FFVII. The game is a long sequence of wow moments stitched together.

Probably the biggest was when i left Midgar assuming i'd finished the game, and wondering why i hadn't used the other discs. Then realizing that there's an entire world to explore! :eek:

Bubble Ghost
07-12-2007, 12:45
Mode 7. The first time I saw F-Zero spinning around on a shop demo unit was incredible. People often forget just how revolutionary the SNES was.

Though even that was nothing compared with when I saw Mario 64 running. That was like the moon landing of video games, the moment when you suddenly realise both how far we've come and how far we have yet to go in one glorious moment. It was like watching the future unfold.

Oh, and (Knights of the Old Republic spoiler)
the moment when you find out your character is Darth Revan. Both a "wow" and a "kick yourself for not getting it earlier" moment.

Kahadras
07-12-2007, 13:08
Probably the biggest was when i left Midgar assuming i'd finished the game, and wondering why i hadn't used the other discs. Then realizing that there's an entire world to explore!

Heh same here. I remember thinking 'wow I've done so much I guess I must be near the end'. How wrong I was. The FMV of weapons attack on Juron (spl) was pretty cool as well. The trailer for FF VIII was pretty much a 'I need that game' moment as well.

Kahadras

unwanted
07-12-2007, 15:16
Blade of Darkness was pure !WOW! from the first orc coming at you with a torch behind it, then decapitating it in a shower of blood, and all the way through!

superknijn
07-12-2007, 15:31
When the nuke goes off in Call of Duty 4, it was probably the biggest "Oh shi-" moment in video games ever.

And the part after it is even more 'WOAH'

Indeed, that's the penultimate 'WOW!' moment. It almost felt like a religious experience, tingling sensation included.

Half Life 2 and it's episodes has a shedload of 'WOW' moments, too many to describe.

harlequin21
07-12-2007, 15:43
The armoured core 4 intro scene on the 360 was a wow moment for me.

Kaze
07-12-2007, 15:49
Ok, this is gonna sound a bit... childish maybe... but the first time I saw Kingdom Hearts ending I had a terrible shiver down my spine. For the first time in my life, seeing Mickey in a "tougher" and "more inspiring" role was just totally amazing. His silhouette (spelling?) was just jaw-dropping during the ending.

And Kahadras and Jedi152, add one more to the FF7 club... the difference is that I thought the game ended when I reached the Shinra HQ during the raid to save Aeris. Stupid me (and did all those hours without having a memory card).

Dengar
07-12-2007, 18:22
For me it when i first played sonic on the mastersystem before that i was playing comando on the atari2600 oh yeah and the dow vid thats been mentioned hell ive got 20 years of worth of playing games with more to follow.

Burnthem
07-12-2007, 19:38
Gonna have to be watching the Final Fantasy 8 Intro movie, it was the first time a game had ever made me go 'wow', many more have done so since, but that was the first.

And of course the DoW intro, its worth getting the game running just to watch that :D

Gue'la Koholic
07-12-2007, 19:42
I second the Lancer Bayonet kill in Gears. I almost crapped when I got it to work, then spent the next 30 minutes doing it over and over.

I'd have to say the most memorable moments for me though, are the intro to God of War. It had this great cinematic quality and really set the tone for what is probably my favorite game ever. And the Final Battle in FF III(well it's really 6, but I played the SNES version). Kefka, and the entire sequence, that looked like something from a Bosch painting, with what is the best music in any FF game. FF3/6 was a million times better then FF7. I've been waiting forever for them to make a remake of that game, not simply a port to my gameboy. FF7 is just 3D, with a whiny lame Cloud that I want to punch in the face every time I play.

Oh yea, and of course the DoW intro.

Ozorik
07-12-2007, 21:54
The first time a mothership turns up in X-COM apocalypse

The pestilent 1
07-12-2007, 23:03
This is probably a bit sad, but seeing various spells in full colour glory on Neverwinter nights 2.
Flame strike is a favourite, Absolutely adore the spell in Pen And Paper.
Course in game I swapped it out for Empowered Call lightning, but that's besides the point.

alex03
08-12-2007, 04:47
The cutscenes in the original starcraft were very awe inspiring at the time. I remember loving the opening cutscene to the expansion the most, where the battleship lifts off and leaves the troops on the ground, and you see the guy in the trench get smaller and smaller and then see the zerg closing in.

I will also second Tyriel from Diablo 2. Very cool.

Playing Baldur's gate the first time, man, that just felt epic from the first time I played. It still makes me feel fuzzy and warm.

Playing Doom 3 was also very WOW.

Ozorik
08-12-2007, 07:58
Starcraft had the best cutscene I had seen at the time. "Ah, thank god for cold fusion".

The Guy
08-12-2007, 18:04
Predator conrete jungle...
1.sneak behind hapless victim
2.press circle
3. lift hapless victim up
4.snap spine once
5.snap spine twice
6.rip hapless victim in half
7.win

There's loads of sights and stuff on Oblivion that just makes you go "man that's awesome" like the hills when you first leave the sewers.

Killgore
08-12-2007, 18:54
PLANETSIDE

giant battles, the first one you witness you have to remind yourself that every target is another person somewhere in the world

makes the battlefield games look like combat patrol- PLANETSIDE IS APOCALYPSE

i found this old video on youtube, an entire pop lock of TR gamers in transport ships combat dropping onto a red alert base fight between NC and VS, nearly 400 players in total in that one fight, i remember that battle fondly, i was flying a liberator bomber at the time and acsidently blew up some friendlys lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5k-7kYs6PX0

heres another ps vid, one that i made a long wile ago

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fpjn8-flH3U

i was also very impressed when i first got onto a griffin ride between stormwind and ironforge in world of warcraft

Aflo
09-12-2007, 00:45
In fact my first computing experience. 7 years old, playing my first of what turned out to be many games of Age of Empires I. Wow...

Grazzy
13-12-2007, 16:43
I went wow when i realised i had completed halo3 (jumped into the ship). That was awesome.

ozzfan
13-12-2007, 18:47
It has to be the T-Rex moment in Tomb Raider, just fantastic.

In fact, most of Tomb Raider was awe inspiring.

Bretonnian Lord
14-12-2007, 02:21
Watching intro movie to Yuri's revenge. Harriers are sweet.

Using 15 superweapons from all factions in Generals simultaneously. :evilgrin:

Beating Irenicus in Hell in Baldur's Gate II and realizing that despite beating the game, you've barely scratched the surface (which is a good thing). :)

Nephilim of Sin
14-12-2007, 03:28
Might as well join....

-Kotor :"The Jedi do not kill their prisioners..." made the whole game worth it.
-Starcraft: The opening of the Chrysallis (sp?), only to find...
-Diablo 2: The last cinematic was priceless, which of course led to the sequel
-FFIII(or VI): When you find out you cannot stop Kefka, and the world of balance was only halfway through the game.
-Twisted Metal Black: The first time I beat the game, the end cinematic honestly gave me a nightmare. It didn't help I went to sleep listening to "Paint it Black" on repeat.
-The Sims (and Sims 2): I know this one is odd, but just the sheer amount of coolness with being able to do basically whatever you want, and upload your own stuff made this one of my most ever played games.
-Castlevania, SoTN: I didn't get the glasses the first time, and thought the game ended too aburptly... I was completely taken aback.

Whew....I think that is enough for now.

Jedi152
14-12-2007, 07:56

Seconded!

I loved all the architecture and stuff. For some reason i'm fascinated by ruins and social decay.

Vanger
14-12-2007, 10:54
Hm... WOW moments?

DoW intro
WarCraft 3 Alliance campaign ending (What are you doing my son? Succeeding you 'father'!)
WarCraft 3 Ork campaign ending (Thrall and Grom confronting Mannoroth)
Diablo 2 movies in general
StarCraft movies in general
Tomb Raider Legend and Anniversary (and the first one)
DoW Bloodthirster summoning :)

The Laughing Man!
14-12-2007, 17:49
Twisted Metal Black: The first time I beat the game, the end cinematic honestly gave me a nightmare. It didn't help I went to sleep listening to "Paint it Black" on repeat.

I had to watch those on youtube. The UK version of TM:B was heavily edited:(

They are very good though.

Especially Mr Grimms, My favorite character:D finding out what actually happened to Benny ... not nice.

superknijn
16-12-2007, 12:26
Supreme Commander, everytime you keep building things that are even bigger and more destructive, and then ways to counter that, and on and on. It's just exponential, the power of units in the game.

Notorius
16-12-2007, 12:46
Supreme Commander, everytime you keep building things that are even bigger and more destructive, and then ways to counter that, and on and on. It's just exponential, the power of units in the game.

I remember the first time I built that Mavor artillery cannon and thinking "Is that it" when I saw the barrel. Then it finished building and the barrel extended to it's full extend.

Inquisitor Maul
16-12-2007, 19:42
I remember the first time I built that Mavor artillery cannon and thinking "Is that it" when I saw the barrel. Then it finished building and the barrel extended to it's full extend.

Now THIS is a canon! :evilgrin:

Stella Cadente
16-12-2007, 19:50
my WOW moments

1: any FMV on FFVIII
2: Firing any weapon on advanced warfighter/Call of Duty 4 on full volume
3: opening to FFX
4: Opening to FFX-2 (Rikku's skirt is HOW SHORT.........*drools*)
5: Assassins creed, ANY part of it

Cade
16-12-2007, 22:02
The first time you get Armor/Battle Cannons in Darwinia.

The sheer rate of fire and mass destruction makes you laugh like an evil Bond villain.

Neknoh
17-12-2007, 00:29
Zelda Ocarina of Time and later Zelda Twilight Princess both had quite the "Woooooow" moments if you ask me. Then we also have cutscenes from Starcraft, and deffinately Tyriel from Diablo II (As well as Mephisto revealing himself after being disguised as Tyriel). First time I spawned a Nightbringer in dawn of War, and deffinately my first HUGE siege in Age of Epires, the ammount of Trebuchetes I used was just wicked. Cutscenes from WC3 are rather nice as well.

And there are tons upon tons upon tons more

Alathir
17-12-2007, 05:54
When Cid got 7777 health in my fight against Emerald Weapon in FF7... I was very pleased.

My biggest story 'Wow!' moment has to be Knights of the Old Republic 1.... you all know what I'm talking about!

Another definite moment would have to be any of the Warcraft III endings, particualry the Orc and Frozen Throne endings.

silence
17-12-2007, 19:17
oohhh, i also remember thinking wow the first time I played Rome TW on Huge settings with huge armies huge bloodshed and huge tactics!

Flame Boy
17-12-2007, 21:13
I'd say Supreme Commander, the first time I got the Monkeylord spiderbot into combat, when the main Microwave Laser powered up with an ominous hum, I sat thinking "will this thing ever fire?" and when it did, it carved A BLOODY GREAT TRENCH in the enemy base.

I'd also go for the opening scenes in Homeworld, and the burning of Kharak.

Homeworld 2, I guess was the moment I first fired the Phased Cannon Array on the Progenitor Dreadnaught. That cannon was just horrifyingly good.

I guess pretty much all of the FMV sequences of the C&C games I've played (as well as the freaky missions in on Red Alert a mission pack that pit you against giant B-Movie ants)

I'd also like to go for so many other moments that have left an impact on me, but I'd be here all night.

I'd also like to suggest the moment I saw the massive walking castle constructed in Gary's mod that looks amazingly similar to a 40k-style Imperator Titan...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ5n9ZrYuHs

Modern_Angel
17-12-2007, 22:16
- DoW Intro, Ork Burnas and Tank Bustas for the win!
- EVE Online, flying around in a newbie frigate and seeing an Apocalypse class Battleship cruise by, completely dwarfing my puny ship...
- Planescape: Torment, pretty much the whole game :)
- Everquest, playing a dwarf character and leaving the dwarf city for the first time and turning around and seeing the Statue above the entrance.
- Everquest, The entire Ruins of Kunark Expansion, best expansion for an online game ever.
- Everquest 2, Seeing the very bottom of Solusek's Eye in Lavastorm for the first time.
- World of Warcraft, seeing the demon lord on the other side of the of the Black Portal for the first time.
- Neverwinter Nights, Shadows of Udrentide(sp?), realising I completed the expansion without a henchmen as I never realised you could get him back after being turned into stone....

Bloodthirster90
18-12-2007, 16:50
- EVE Online, flying around in a newbie frigate and seeing an Apocalypse class Battleship cruise by, completely dwarfing my puny ship...

Have to agree with that. It makes you feel like you're already screwed but you go for it anyway to aim for that big ass ship.

Also voting for the DoW intro. The Dark Crusade one, while still cool, just didn't feel as good as the first one.

Freak Ona Leash
18-12-2007, 19:59
The Bloodthirster of Khorne, with 4 squads of Berzerkers behind him, a squad of Possessed and 2 CSM squads, a fully-upgraded Daemon prince, and 4 Defilers charging towards the Avatar of Khaine and the whole Eldar army in the Dark Crusade campaign.
The Bloodthirster decapitating the Avatar of Khaine while I was listening to World Eater by Bolt Thrower just made me want to scream "BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!" :skull:

Oh, and going through the Dark Portal in WoW for the first time. Hellfire Peninsula=best zone in an MMO ever.

Soulless Enigma
18-12-2007, 20:36
The opening cinematic for The Witcher. In fact, that whole game is divinely forged. Hell it ain't even a game, it's a piece of art. Greatest RPG I've ever played.

But the opening cinematic is the best.

Geralt of Rivia > well... everybody!

Leviathan
19-12-2007, 10:06
Hello,

1) The first time I used 'knights of the round' summon in FFVII. It just kept going. :eek:

2) The 'complete' ending of Kingdom Hearts 2. Stunning but also :wtf:

3) The first time I ran into Black Rock Mountain on my little Troll Shammy on WoW.

4) Opening FMV to FFX was also full of win. I want Aurons babies.

xbevisx
19-12-2007, 11:59
Oh, and going through the Dark Portal in WoW for the first time. Hellfire Peninsula=best zone in an MMO ever.

Hellfire was a bit too.....orange for me. much prefer Nagrand :D

Good gaming wow moment. The giant monster Octopus/Squid thingy that attacks Independance Port ( IIRC ) in City Of Heros.
Bringing down your First Fel Reaver in WoW.
And another vote for the DoW intro. Oh and the Warhammer: MoC movie.
MAKE FULL FEATURE LENGTH MOVIE PLZ.

bad gaming moment. Fighting through Gnomeregan ( mmo hell on earth ) getting constantly pwned by the Dark Dwarves ( curse them and their bloody land mines ) just to find out the boss is a total wimp! Let down :(

Nephilim of Sin
19-12-2007, 12:28
... Neverwinter Nights, Shadows of Udrentide(sp?), realising I completed the expansion without a henchmen as I never realised you could get him back after being turned into stone....

You...you killed Deekin? :cries:

Another one I would like to add was Timesplitters. Any of them, as they kept getting better. The Wow factor came in with the sheer amount of characters, plus the ability to make you own levels. I would spend hours just making a level (or missions!), and invited all my friends over to play. It was great, and I am really hoping for another one.

SPOILER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (I do not know how to do the fancy 'highlight thing)

The other one is when, if you are the Sith Lord in KotOR I, you can use your lifedebt to have Zaalbar kill Mission. That was the pinnacle of the game, for me :evilgrin:.

Count Zero
19-12-2007, 14:06
when u fly the millenium falcon into the deathstar in xwing alliance
lots of things in Freespace 2
1st kill with a sniper rifle in hitman
jumping off high buildings in assassins creed
when your planet gets blown up in homeworld 1 (and they play the sad adiagio (sp?) music)
some of the moments if Fear where the scary girl pops out

The pestilent 1
19-12-2007, 14:33
lots of things in Freespace 2t

PULL UP! PULL UP! PULL UP!

Good lord that gave me a shock.
Oh, and the entirety of the final mission.
*sniff* Colossus.

Modern_Angel
19-12-2007, 21:53
You...you killed Deekin? :cries:

No, I had the female dwarf cleric/rogue, whose name I forget, in the storyline where you both get turned to stone and end up in the ruins, I never realised I could get her back as a henchmen so I finished it solo....

I did have Deekin with me however when doing Hordes of Underdark(Deekin's Doom Song ws fab!)

Nazguire
20-12-2007, 00:40
I've got a few

- Bioshock intro sequence. Great storytelling and artistic direction
- The part where you find out about Tidus' problem in Zanarkand
- The big Star Wars-esque battle FMV sequence in FFXII before you board the Death Star...I mean Bahamut.
- When I found Stormwind for the first time as my little Paladin and the music kicked in and I thought "Damn cool"
Also thought that for Ironforge too. Not so much any of the other cities (even Undercity :P )
- FFVII has a good few (I'm playing it now and haven't gotten on to the other discs) so far, particularly the Sephiroth and fire sequence, and where Sephiroth takes off Jenova's head.

SwordsofChaos
22-12-2007, 12:50
The first time I got to Damascus in Assassins Creed. I was left breathless by the size of the place.

Chaplain killing a bloodthirster in the DoW: Winter Assault campaign was really cool as well.

Mark of Chaos intro, and the battle march trailer were both amazingly awesome as well.

And put my vote in for the Chainsaw bayonet in gears of war. Pure nastiness.

god octo
22-12-2007, 16:33

I remember that moment. I was 7 and I almost wet myself at that point. Looking back, he was almost strokable....

Others:

Most of the scenery in Tomb Raider Legend and Anniversary. Even on the PS2 they look epically beautiful
The last section of FFX-2. The tone was just brilliant, and Vegnagun looked Huge
The Whole of Broken Sword: the sleeping Dragon.

Hicks
23-12-2007, 05:44
Playing Guilty Gear, I am (well was, I don't game much anymore) a huge fighting game fan. For me Street fighter 3 had the best 2D graphics ever and then I get my hands on GGX. The first battle is about to start and... no pixels, the game is like an anime you can control. I was blown away by the graphics and the music.

Before that, it was when power gauges were introduced. The first time I fought Akuma and he pulled a Shun Goku Satsu on me jaw dropped.

Crube
23-12-2007, 09:02
Back in the mists of time, the intro to SHadow of the Beast 2 on the Amiga was stunning for the time

The Guy
23-12-2007, 19:54
Playing star wars battlefront for the first time.

ozzfan
23-12-2007, 20:27
Having completed 'Half Life 2: Episode 2' today, I'd have to say the last scene is one of the moving things I've seen in a video game. Just fantastic acting.

And Dog rules.

Neknoh
23-12-2007, 22:30
Seing Tyrael in a D2 Throne cutscene, deffinately seing Tyrael.

Kaze
23-12-2007, 23:19
"A girl in a pink dress with some flowers appears walking out of an alley. Camera zooms out showing some vehicles in a large dish-shaped city with some reactors circling it. the camera shows the picture of the entire city, a green Meteor appears along with Final Fantasy VII written on the screen. The camera starts zooming to a part of town, while flashing an incoming train. The train stops and a few guys jump out of it. Suddenly I am in control of a character without noticing it."

Sorry for the lame text, but the 24th of December of 1997 was the day I bought my Playstation and Final Fantasy VII, marking the beginning of a double-passion in my "videogame life". It's been 10 years since I saw it for the first time, and remembering it always puts a smile in my face.

Notorius
24-12-2007, 01:18
Is it bad that I knew exactly what game that was just from girl in a pink dress with flowers?

warboss48
24-12-2007, 17:06
Is it bad that I knew exactly what game that was just from girl in a pink dress with flowers?

I knew as well, and I'm sure other people did as well. Right?

Jedi152
24-12-2007, 17:08
To be fair, there's only one game worth knowing that starts with a girl in a pink dress with flowers...

Nazguire
26-12-2007, 05:05
To be fair, there's only one game worth knowing that starts with a girl in a pink dress with flowers...

You see, I hear this all the time about Final Fantasy 7 and I dont entirely agree with it.

The characters are great yes, and so is the story, but story and characters aren't all that make a game.

It has cinematic qualities, and for its time was undoubtedly the superior product, but nowadays other Sqaure Enix games surpass it's cinematic quality (in both graphical (obviously) and story telling presentation) as well as other games do it too.

Tales of Symphonia does all that Final Fantasy 7 just as well far as I'm concerned. The story has just as many twists and turns as FF7, as well as emotional connections with the main characters.

The best Final Fantasy game, in the way of presentation, gameplay and user friendlieness has to be number 12. No more random battles, If you need to find something to click on, it lights up. No more teeth gnashing ''where is this button'' moments of FF7.

For its time it was a great game. Still is really, but there are other games that have better and more epic stories with characters just as great to play as and get to know, like Sephiroth and Cloud were.

I'm playing it now, and I find the random combats tedious and boring. And they absolutely obliterate any immersion you have with the world.
Example: I'm in the City of the Ancients where Aeris, and the music is great (some of the best music for a video game ever, surpassed only by FFX, except 'One Winged Angel') and just as I'm getting a bit concerned over where Aeris is gonna be...random battle.

Cloud is one dimensional like the Master Chief of the Halo franchise. Hes the typical amnesiac, with spikey hair, a mysterious past and has just about every female member of the game fall in love with him. He can't decide on his personality, whether he is the depressing emotionally hardcore warrior like Vincent, the happy-go-lucky come what may light heart like Aeris or the ''I'm black to the core'' stereotype of Barrett.

The other characters all pull off the stereotypes of themselves well, especially Aeris and Cid (I love Cid :D) Cloud doesn't.

Some of the plot ''twists'' are visible from far off. Not visible as in ''maybe that'll happen'' but ''yeah that's gonna happen''. You knew from the very start, that Aeris would die. You knew from the very start that something wasn't quite right about Cloud's life.

Some of them were great. I personally didn't see the fact that you weren't pursuing Sephiroth, you were being summoned by him, till it was actually happening.

Tales of Symphonia had story twists (along with the obvious ones) that made you scratch your head, wonder, and then go cool. So did FFX. And in my opinion they did it better (particularly the Tidus being literally an extended dream sequence)

So I guess all I'm saying is that while once upon a time it may have been the RPG to end all RPGs it is nowhere near the top of the bunch now other then in the 'Beloved Classic' eisle. It's great fun to play, the story is engaging and fun, and most of the characters you end up enjoying to see grow (and die) but when it comes to cinematic storytelling, presentation, just gameplay in general there are many games out there (not necessarily new but older as well) that trump it.

Nephilim of Sin
26-12-2007, 05:43
@Nazguire: I think that point is that while there are other games that people will find superior, FF 7 (and 6) pushed the envelope to create the path those games could take. Considering Clouds storyline and what not, yes, that may be typical now, and yes, some other games have stories that never sour, but a lot of those games borrowed elements from FF7.

In fact, a lot of complaints you have about the game (that others games don't have) is the reason that other games do not have them; they listened after people had played ff7 (and still loved it).

Don't get me wrong, I did not think it was the end all be all of RPG games, or even the best Final Fantasy, but it was definately revolutionary for its time, which is why we have even better games now.

EDIT: Oh, and about Tidus and FFX, well, while it may have been a head-scratcher, it still makes no sense to me. I mean, I just don't really get it, and how it is plausible. I understand it, but I don't get it, if that makes sense. Needless to say, I was not pleased with the ending of FFX (especially once you got Holy, you owned Sin).

kortholaxthedamned
29-12-2007, 12:49
Most of Call of Duty 4. The nuke, the aftermath (the character I've been playing as..dies? wha..?) the music as you circle the cargo carrier, the epilogue raid on the plane, and the final part when you kill Zakhaev. CoD 4 was like a small, interactive movie to me.

The Guy
29-12-2007, 13:17
Most of Call of Duty 4. The nuke, the aftermath (the character I've been playing as..dies? wha..?) the music as you circle the cargo carrier, the epilogue raid on the plane, and the final part when you kill Zakhaev. CoD 4 was like a small, interactive movie to me.

Yea CoD4 is full of wow moments. When the nuke goes off I actually thought I was on that helicopter. And when my character died I though ":wtf:What dd i do wrong? I only jumped!"
Also the first time you get your throat ripped out by a dog is pretty cool.
Just too short though.

Corrupt
29-12-2007, 14:04
Yeah shortness sucked
Game was awesome though
Nuke-Agreed
The final bit of the road chase though
Where Zakhaev is distracted and price slides you a pistol and slowmo you grab it and drop him and the two bad guys then your russki buddy arrives but Price is dead... Was well upset there. That guy dragged me through WW2 three times and then through a war in the modern world. Why did he have to die!

Bubble Ghost
29-12-2007, 14:27
Even at the time, FFVII failed to live up to its Squaresoft predecessors Final Fantasy VI and Chrono Trigger.

I'd like to add the phenomenal song that plays during the credits of Mass Effect (M4 pt.II by Faunts) as a "wow" moment. In a what amounts to a good game which is made great by its art design and use of music, that was still a standout moment (especially because I hadn't looked at the credits until I actually completed the game, so I didn't know it was coming and it had the weight of the game's conclusion adding to its power). I realise it wasn't composed specifically for the game (I don't think, anyway), but it still blew me away and is now a fixture on my mp3 player.

floyd pinkerton
29-12-2007, 16:04
Most recently the Intro to Bioshock, after the cutscene just sitting then and then realising "Wow I'm In game now, the water just looks *that* good" ;)

fourthed. I squealed in excitement!

The Guy
30-12-2007, 11:24
Yeah shortness sucked
Game was awesome though
Nuke-Agreed
The final bit of the road chase though
Where Zakhaev is distracted and price slides you a pistol and slowmo you grab it and drop him and the two bad guys then your russki buddy arrives but Price is dead... Was well upset there. That guy dragged me through WW2 three times and then through a war in the modern world. Why did he have to die!

I more gutted about Griggs dying. He was awesome!
And Price may not be dead ;)

kortholaxthedamned
30-12-2007, 11:45
I more gutted about Griggs dying. He was awesome!
And Price may not be dead ;)

I was more upset by Gaz's death. At least Griggs got shot when he was fighting back, Gaz just got a bullet to the head while he's writhing on the floor.

And the guy who played Griggs did a rap during the end credits, so I found it hard to take him seriously. :p

Bloodthirster90
30-12-2007, 14:53
CoD4 is just a gigantic wow moment for me.
A couple of other things which I like:
First time piloting your boat out into the Great Sea in Wind Waker
First time riding out into Hyrule Field on Epona in Twilight Princess
Going into Ravenholm in Half Life 2. Not a "wow this is awesome" but more of a "Wow this is ****** creepy!"

Apple Dave
30-12-2007, 23:21
Not sure how people would agree but for me the most recent was the first time I viewed Damascus from the hilltop path at the beginning of Assassin's Creed; or for that matter any time I sync with a viewpoint in that game or any of the times when I am just wandering the streets of any of the 3 major cities in that game. All those thousands of people each one ever so slightly different from the last.

alex03
31-12-2007, 06:22
Playing that first battle in Medieval 2 total war was a wow moment for me. It just looked so good! (never did play Rome tw). Everything was just so detailed...and you could zoom in and watch your DFK wack some peasants. Cool.

five01st
02-01-2008, 18:01
-SW:KotOR - Finding out YOU'RE Revan
-SW:KotOR II -Learning Revan's plans were NOT to destroy the Republic :wtf:
Go ahead PM me if you don't belive me... I'll prove it.

-WoW:TBC - Seeing the SIZE of the portal on Outland's side!

-Portal - Facing aggressive turrets with no offensive weapon.
- Being ambushed by LOTS of turrets at once! (Well, actually it was more like an "Oh S**t" moment, but close enough)
- And Just messing around with the portals/momentum/sight.

The pestilent 1
02-01-2008, 18:55
I'm not sure if I mentioned this...
Neverwinter Nights, right at the end of the game, you escape Cania and head back to the surface and find you actually have to fight Mephistoles...
I mean.
Meph-freaking-istoles!

Running around, fire raining from the sky, Lava elemental thingys everywhere, and I've reached that point in the game where I am so ridiculously powerful that the ground being covered in Lava gives me only a moments pause.
And I still use up every damn spell I have trying to beat him :evilgrin:

I had a little too much fun kicking the Devils **** than I should (Which would have only been increased by it being that poor man's Satan, Asmodeous)

Nephilim of Sin
02-01-2008, 19:13
I'm not sure if I mentioned this...
Neverwinter Nights, right at the end of the game, you escape Cania and head back to the surface and find you actually have to fight Mephistoles...
I mean.
Meph-freaking-istoles!

Running around, fire raining from the sky, Lava elemental thingys everywhere, and I've reached that point in the game where I am so ridiculously powerful that the ground being covered in Lava gives me only a moments pause.
And I still use up every damn spell I have trying to beat him :evilgrin:

I had a little too much fun kicking the Devils **** than I should (Which would have only been increased by it being that poor man's Satan, Asmodeous)

Yeah, but the worst part was, all you had to do was learn his 'true name' and you could command him to play nice. That was rather lame....

For me, it was finding Aribeth, and then being able to turn her evil (then using her true name as she betrays you!).

That, and when I found out I could kill EVERY person (except the invincible children) through an odd series of clicking. Granted, I only realized it halfway through NWN 1, but it was worth getting the title of the 'Destroyer' and raizing every village in the expansions. :evilgrin:

Aflo
02-01-2008, 19:32
Just played Company of Heroes. Wow. Fantastic game, beats the crap out of DOW any day.

Kaze
02-01-2008, 21:47
Activating Sajuuk in the last mission in Homeworld 2. Half-map radius and obliterates a World-Destroyer with a few hits. Pricelesss :p

theunwantedbeing
02-01-2008, 21:51
A lot of wipeout is just full of wow moments...usually large jumps sending you what feels like a few miles at once.

The pestilent 1
03-01-2008, 15:49
Yeah, but the worst part was, all you had to do was learn his 'true name' and you could command him to play nice. That was rather lame....

For me, it was finding Aribeth, and then being able to turn her evil (then using her true name as she betrays you!).

Using true names is for pansies.
I kicked the crap out of the lot of them :evilgrin:
Although I do recall saying to Aribeth (After she betrays you) "I prupose... A double cross?"
:evilgrin:

RobC
03-01-2008, 15:56
Playing Monkey Island for the first time, thinking it would be another frustrating text adventure where you died every half an hour. I still occasionally dream about it even now.

If I had a time machine I'm afraid my first duty would be to go back in time and ensure that Ron Gilbert made the third Monkey Island before leaving LucasArts. Sad, eh?

The Guy
03-01-2008, 16:31
Playing overlord. That game is awesome! Sending minions to do my bidding while I sit back and look scary.
Also playing ghost recon advanced warfighter on the 360. Those 2 games kick ass.

Jaq Draco
06-01-2008, 07:39
GTA:Vice City - motion blurring and lots of mini games, i was hooked,

plus the cheesy 80's soundtrack won me over, how many times can 1 person listen to africa and not feel a bit uplifted

Violadudester
08-01-2008, 06:47
Fallout 1 and 2. Ron Perlman's first lines in the opening cinematics starting with: "War. War never changes...", just epic, timeless infact, and send a chill down your spine. The atmosphere of the game is amazing, while the combat system was great. The other voice actors were awesome too; Michael Dorn, Richard Dean Anderson to name a few. I don't think there will be games quite like this one in a while, and I pray that Bethesda doesn't F up F3 =/