PDA

View Full Version : Any LARPers Here?

Mr Dreadful
17-09-2005, 13:27
If so what system do you play?

ironduke
21-09-2005, 15:36
Live action Vampire the requiem. My name is Adam Deacon i am a Mekhet and i was the seneschal of peterborough before the sunday that has just passed. The previous prince was killed for being a diaberalist. The resultant powerplay left me with no allies (but this is due to most of my allies being unable to turn up that day... bstards). I'm know have set plans to take out the two main cospirators. One has a professional hitman after him who is proficient at taking out vampires and the other i have plans to put him in a slab of concrete for eternity...I'm not evil :evilgrin:

Muhhahahahahahahahhahahawwwwww!!!!

Keravin
24-09-2005, 13:13
There are a few FNH(Fools and Heroes)ers around here as well.

Mr Dreadful
25-09-2005, 21:53
Live action Vampire the requiem.

Moving swiftly on... :p

Is Vampire actually a proper LARP nowadays or is it still table-top-with-costumes? Just to clarify that are you acutally allowed to roleplay situations or is it still done purely based on a combination of character sheet and dumb luck.

Sorry, I do full-contact, player-led, cross-country pantomime and from what little I've played and heard Vampire LARP doesn't endear itself to me. But, hey, if you're having fun.

ironduke
27-09-2005, 09:14
Its been a proper larp for years and is not based on wearing costumes and table top. It is based on character interaction and roleplaying. You hardly ever have to roll and it is merely a social thing. Check out world of darkness website its been going for ages and the organisation in place for it is worldwide.

Sanguinius
27-09-2005, 10:22
Amazing!
Some-one says the 'LARPers' and no-one mentions the LT.
Thats got to be a first.

Mr Dreadful
01-10-2005, 11:54
Thank you Iron Duke, I do know what it is and I do know that it's a world-wide organisation.

The question I was asking is has it matured into a full on LARP or does it still use rock-paper-scissors to resolve combat and that kind of thing?

Ah, LT... the McDonald's of British LARP.

barbarella
02-10-2005, 02:50
Hiya i've played LT for years and i play a small yet totally awesome system called N-E-X-U-S, and am apparently to be introduced to CP, oblivion, maelstrom AND vikings next year.

Ah yes and Vampire *shudder* never again is all i can say.

So, what system do you play mr. Dreadful?

Mr Dreadful
02-10-2005, 18:11
Player at Shards, crew at Crimson Requiem and thinking of starting Maelstrom next year.

Sanguinius
03-10-2005, 16:34
Maelstrom rocks but only if your a good role-player.
Its high RP, low combat. To give you an idea of the level of player you'll be with, my group includes the entire NPC command team of the LT unicorns faction.

Never tried CP but if you ever get the chance to go to an event run by a group called crooked house take it. I monstered the last one and in 2 years of LARPing it was the best event I ever went to, My house-mate played and he agree's with me after 3 years of LARPing.

super_steve
03-10-2005, 18:44
well ive just started LARPing this year infact barbarella my g/f got me into it ive played LT once went to this years gathering and ive been playing nexus since may
and im really enjoying it.

any british LARPers here interested in nexus (its a sc-fi system useing larp safe weapons and airsoft combat) can visit N-E-X-U-S (http://www.n-e-x-u-s.org)

Sanguinius
04-10-2005, 05:05
which LT faction are you in?
If the answer isn't Unicorns then change faction immeadiately, we have by far the best sanctioned events. We get REAL food and monsters eat free and sleep indoors.
plus you get to see me going nuts at the monsters. Just look out for the guy crossing the line between bravery and stupidity and slagging off the unkillable monsters whilst armed with nothing but a long stick

Vesk
20-10-2005, 07:32
The question I was asking is has it matured into a full on LARP or does it still use rock-paper-scissors to resolve combat and that kind of thing?

There's a seperate game system for the WoD games that's commonly refered to as Mind's Eye Theatre, its an actual LARPing system (to my knowledge) based on the WoD.

As for myself, no, no I have not LARPed nor have I done much of anyhting RPing related as of late. (DAMN YOU COLLEGE!!!)

haza ali
20-10-2005, 09:17
i larp as well using LT system with some friends but i havent been able to get off work to go to any events yet. i will most likely join the vipers or dragons when i can go to an event.

jesusjohn
29-10-2005, 10:21
CP and Shadow realms

Ambull Tau
04-11-2005, 16:41
I found Riftworld via Pagga. It's pretty 40K in places, it has power armour and force swords...

Sanguinius
05-01-2006, 11:59
I recently found a fairly new system called Arboria.
Its a lot of fun with the RPing possibilities of a large national system like the LT but its new enough to still have a fairly simple system that hasn't collected all the errata and rules exceptions that long running systems have.

ironduke
05-01-2006, 13:03
Thank you Iron Duke, I do know what it is and I do know that it's a world-wide organisation.

Ah, LT... the McDonald's of British LARP.

it is a full and matured LARP and no we dont use the rock paper scissor system we use cards

librerian_samae
05-01-2006, 22:47
playing a vampire(ish) larp that we have just changed over to new rules.
its a laugh, mostly mages at the mo

Warsmith Strader
06-01-2006, 00:58
Damn, I can't believe all of the Amtgarders aren't speaking up on this thread.

My Larp of choice is Amtgard! For those who don't know what it is.... Think D&D meets Warhammer fantasy meets... foam weapons!

librerian_samae
06-01-2006, 12:03
dear god bopper weapons are lame, the people i know who foam weapon larp refuse to let me join in because @i'll break the weapons':wtf:
if you bopper you might as well just reenact, stuff costs the same but it's real as opposed to a peice of foam you cant use because it will fall apart...

P.S.
sorry if that sounds antagonistic, but it's not directed at anyone in particular, just foam bopper weapons in general.

barbarella
07-01-2006, 10:34
librerian_samae, whilst i do think boffer weapons look a bit shabby to be used in a serious system, they are fine for people who are larping as a small group, and did you not wonder why you are the only one that 'will break the weapons' it's probably because you don't pull your blows, and your friends are sick of getting beaten to a pulp.

Warsmith Strader
07-01-2006, 14:05
Sounds like to me he plays SCA!

librerian_samae
07-01-2006, 22:09
pull blows? Do you think I would be insured to do actual re-enactment if I did't pull blows?:eyebrows:
Anyway, thats not the point. It was a silly rant.

No I'm not SCA, I'm just your standard reenacter

jigplums
09-01-2006, 15:15
I do cp and am in the lions

I think the point is with foam weapon you can actually fight each other without having to wear full plate armour/chain/padded jacks etc... Those who ask if vampire is a "REAL" system are asking basicially if any of it comes down to your skill with a sword [albiet a foam sword] or its still based on random rolls/paper scissors stone/cards etc. There is a lot of skill involved in larp weapons fighting although its not the same as Real weapons fighting but then again nor is reinactment. I've done both and both were highly enjoyable, but i prefer larp overall because its alot more about player freedom, player driven plot and development.

ironduke
09-01-2006, 17:20
but i prefer larp overall because its alot more about player freedom, player driven plot and development.

I concur, this is what mainly appeals tome about larp. With the cam games sure there is plot that ure ST introduces but after about three to six months in it becomes purely player driven plot, with only the occasional st plot thrown in every month.

quick plug but has anyone ever or is interested in playing world of darkness games larp?

if so check out my sig and also pm me bcause i could give you contacts for a game local to you

Zanusiekk
09-01-2006, 18:22
LARP-----rules-system?

Baaakh! Cannot compute!

Maybe it's just me, but pure freeform, low(read no)-combat and real weapons, that's the ticket... or at least it is for me. Well, to each his own, right?!

Mad Doc Grotsnik
09-01-2006, 19:58
I'm *hopefully* going to Curious Pasttimes 'Renewal' later this year. August bank holiday.

I'm going with one of the founders of the Amigos (not sure how they spell it) who apparently have now tarnished a good reputation following last year.

We're going as Mercs. Can anyone reccomend a Website I can get weapons and basic equipment from? I'm thinking two Warhammers.....and some leather armoury type stuff.

marv335
10-01-2006, 02:01
i've toyed with taking up larp. i recon my skill in various martial arts and fairly skilled weapons handling would come in handy.
is skill at arms a factor in this pastime? (i've studied iaido so i'm quite handy with a sword) although i'd probably go for twin shortswords as i'm also used to sai.
anyone with experience who can say yea or nay?

Warsmith Strader
10-01-2006, 12:41
i've toyed with taking up larp. i recon my skill in various martial arts and fairly skilled weapons handling would come in handy.
is skill at arms a factor in this pastime? (i've studied iaido so i'm quite handy with a sword) although i'd probably go for twin shortswords as i'm also used to sai.
anyone with experience who can say yea or nay?

Depends on the length of the short swords you use, I would however suggest, 36" long swords for a florintine style.

Sai's may only be 20" long and in the game I play daggers are up to 18" long and are stab only.

Warsmith Strader
10-01-2006, 12:44
pull blows? Do you think I would be insured to do actual re-enactment if I did't pull blows?:eyebrows:
Anyway, thats not the point. It was a silly rant.

No I'm not SCA, I'm just your standard reenacter

Before you can step out on a amtgard battlefield, You have to sign a waiver for combat... and yes the kingdoms in Amtgard have insurance.

As far as the pulling blows thing- that HFS(high fantasy society) they pull their shots.... amtgardian don't pull their shot...

Mr Dreadful
12-01-2006, 09:05
We're going as Mercs. Can anyone reccomend a Website I can get weapons and basic equipment from? I'm thinking two Warhammers.....and some leather armoury type stuff.

Eldritch (http://www.eldritch.com) - for the weapons
Darkblade (http://www.darkbladeuk.co.uk) - for the armour

Depends on the length of the short swords you use, I would however suggest, 36" long swords for a florintine style.

Sai's may only be 20" long and in the game I play daggers are up to 18" long and are stab only.

You stab with daggers? I hope you're using coreless.:skull:

Mad Doc Grotsnik
12-01-2006, 15:03
Excellent work Mr Dreadful!

I think a couple of Maces or Hammers....perhaps they could shorten the hafts for me? I want quick and close weapons!

Tom
12-01-2006, 21:39
Okay. LT, Dragons, Dal Riadan subsection (Utter incompetence yay! I'm in Shrewsbury. You LT here, you're in that section pretty much). Need something blunt; got a pair of swords on the way off a friend but get up against skellies and I'm farked...

Getz
12-01-2006, 22:03
LT, Vipers, Head of the Witch Hunters group... I'm the guy who does the in character Fencing lessons. Go Me!

Also occasionally do Skullduggery and Labyrinth. I've been planning to got to a Maelstrom event for a couple of years now - but moneys been tight and LARPing is an expensive hobby.

Perhaps at the Heartland GAMes we should have a Warseer members get together...

By the way, I strongly recommend Tallows for sword and Armchair Armoury for armour. Tallows made my dueling sabre and it's the only LARP sword I've ever used that comes close to matching the agility and feel of a Fencing weapon (still feels like trying to fence with a boxing glove on, mind). It wasn't even hideously expensive.

Redowl
14-01-2006, 05:17
I play Nocturne in New Jersey. http://www.nocturnelarp.com It was my first larping experience and I am totally hooked.

I just got a sword and dagger from Eldritch for xmas. I also have a nice custom staff from Iron Liege.

Mr Dreadful
15-01-2006, 23:02
perhaps they could shorten the hafts for me? I want quick and close weapons!

If I remember correctly they can do weapons as short as 22".

jigplums
16-01-2006, 00:31
LARP-----rules-system?

Baaakh! Cannot compute!

Maybe it's just me, but pure freeform, low(read no)-combat and real weapons, that's the ticket... or at least it is for me. Well, to each his own, right?!

how is no combat freedom?

To answer some other points.

DONT USE ELDRITCH FOR LARP WEAPONS....THEY SUCK.

Yes skill can play a huge part in Larp, dependent on lots of factors like Faction, group, etc... but generally people respect someone who's a bit handy. Unless your a gimp, or arrogant ****, then they wont like it and you wont get respect etc...and may even be murdered by your fellow larpers if you make a bad enough impression.

Dont use hammers if you want to be affective. swords are much better[quicker, longer in general, less likely to get locked, easier to parry]
There are a few Much more affective styles and weapons combos with larp and i suggest everyone who wants to play a heavy combat role always uses both hands and has either.

2 weapons[best style imo 1 on 1 but weak to archers]

sword and shield[very good all round combo, a master can almost be as good as 2 weapons 1 vs 1 but better for defense, battlelines]

2 handedweapon/polearm preferably as long as possible[great for supporting a line and making it so you can bring more weapons to bare in a smaller place, suffer 1 on 1]

Warsmith Strader
16-01-2006, 12:17
Eldritch (http://www.eldritch.com) - for the weapons
Darkblade (http://www.darkbladeuk.co.uk) - for the armour

You stab with daggers? I hope you're using coreless.:skull:

Yes we do, but are safety guidelines for weapons is strict... for example... in your avatar that mace would be illegal due to the fact that a weapon needs to have 2/3's of the weapon strike legal and the strike portion need to be at least 2.5 inches in diameter. ... so a 36" weapon needs 24 inches of strike legal surfice. and stab tips on weapons need nearly 3" of foam on the tip.

Now the coreless thing- that's our throwing weapons.

Also, our game uses omniblades and also flat blade weapons... omniblades are nothing more that a foam baseball bat... but without wood or metal cores... those are illegal cores in our game.

Warsmith Strader
16-01-2006, 12:23
I play Nocturne in New Jersey. http://www.nocturnelarp.com It was my first larping experience and I am totally hooked.

I just got a sword and dagger from Eldritch for xmas. I also have a nice custom staff from Iron Liege.

So does you game have actual combat or is it more of a rp thing?

Mr Dreadful
16-01-2006, 18:14
Yes we do, but are safety guidelines for weapons is strict... for example... in your avatar that mace would be illegal due to the fact that a weapon needs to have 2/3's of the weapon strike legal and the strike portion need to be at least 2.5 inches in diameter. ... so a 36" weapon needs 24 inches of strike legal surfice. and stab tips on weapons need nearly 3" of foam on the tip.

Now the coreless thing- that's our throwing weapons.

Also, our game uses omniblades and also flat blade weapons... omniblades are nothing more that a foam baseball bat... but without wood or metal cores... those are illegal cores in our game.

I'd forgotten the most US LARPs are about 15 years behind us weapons-wise... :p

DONT USE ELDRITCH FOR LARP WEAPONS....THEY SUCK.

Actually they don't and are brilliant for beginners or those of us who are working to a budget (when I say 'budget' I mean I spend so much on costume (because I tend to use re-enactment quality stuff) that I often have sod all money left for weapons). Their only failing is that they sometines forget to do your order, but if you're polite about it when chasing up they give you free stuff.

Warsmith Strader
16-01-2006, 21:16
I'd forgotten the most US LARPs are about 15 years behind us weapons-wise... :p

Actually they don't and are brilliant for beginners or those of us who are working to a budget (when I say 'budget' I mean I spend so much on costume (because I tend to use re-enactment quality stuff) that I often have sod all money left for weapons). Their only failing is that they sometines forget to do your order, but if you're polite about it when chasing up they give you free stuff.

Most of the US amtgarders think of this game as a sport not true rp!

Redowl
17-01-2006, 03:02
So does you game have actual combat or is it more of a rp thing?

No we definately have combat. It's boffer style, though latex is legal as well, with damage calls. Spell packets are used for magic and prayers. There is a pretty heavy focus on RP and lore which makes the game very interesting imho. So far the quality of player that is showing up is very high. It is a lot of people who have put a lot of time into character, costume, etc. There are also quite a few talented fighters as well.

As far as Eldritch goes I'm very happy with mine. It will get its first use this weekend. One person I play with has a set of swords from Eldritch that he's had for three years. He plays in 2-3 larps a month and is a combat oriented player. His swords are still in good condition.

Warsmith Strader
17-01-2006, 14:09
Our game also has magic... plus the damage is well kind of stupid... one shot to limb its gone... a second arm shot to either arm is a death... a shot to the other leg is death... a direct torso shot is death... head shots illegal shot.

But latex is illegal...

Our game, you just can't play a Paladin or Anti Paladin... you need to earn your Knighthood then go from there into those classes.