PDA

View Full Version : baneblade kills

sagittar slaith
07-12-2007, 09:01
i just got a baneblade and i am wondering, just how good is it and how hard is it to take down. so, what have your baneblades killed and what has killed them?

Vaktathi
07-12-2007, 09:44
Baneblades arent that hard to kill. If you just try and shoot them with heavy weapons it can take awhile, but if you can get an MC in there or a meltabomb equipped jump unit, or a unit of Firedragons, its gone.

Mine haven't performed too spectacularly besides absorbing lascannon and missile launcher fire, but do put out some hurt as long as their main cannon is still working (but this is also usually the first thing to go)

lord_blackfang
07-12-2007, 09:48
In the only Apoc game I've played so far:

Baneblade Turn 1: Cannon shot kills 22 Marines of various types plus a Dreadnought.

Enemy Turn 1: ~5.000 pts of models shoot at Baneblade with absolutely no effect. Then it dies to one volley from a squad of 3 Obliterators.

bosstroll
07-12-2007, 10:09
My blade's roll of honour:
1st Apocalypse battle: 7 tyranid warriors, 1/2 Hive Tyrant, bunches of (horma) guants, 3-5 raveners (forgot exact count), a trygon, 2 carnifexes.
damage taken: none, in fact, it was only attacked by some deep striking acid mines.
2nd Apoc battle: 4 terminators, 7 harlequins, a predator annihalator, 2 land speeders, a vyper, 1/2 falcon (immobilised it), 4 dire avengers, maugan ra, 1/2 farseer.
damage taken: weapon destroyed, which i saved ;)

i lurvs my baneblade <hug>

eek107
07-12-2007, 10:14
I haen't been counting, but in the twice I've used it it's left a massive gap in the middle of 50+ necron warriors, a 20-ish strong brood of hormagaunts, a 10-ish strong brood of genestealers... all from the main cannon. Only thing that's managed to seriously hurt it is one of them hive mind broods warp blasting it for 2 turns, but the game ended before they could kill it.

tau4ever
07-12-2007, 11:04
The Baneblade will tend to do a ridiculous amount of damage while the cannon is still functioning, but the whole tank goes down pretty fast when someone assaults it with something killy.

Cuthullu
07-12-2007, 11:20
As long as you are not using your Baneblade mindless it will survive pretty much return fire.

The BB needs close defensive support from in my case, a plasma stormtrooper squad with chimera, a hvy Flamer sentinel and an Plasma Cannon Leman Russ.

Just use this defensive support and your side armament to attack incoming tank hunters.
Keep the Baneblade protected with this other units, terrain and maybe table edges from attacks with drop troops inside the dangerous range (somewhat from 6-12 Inch, depends on weapon used, melta for example.)
Try to shield this range so that any deep striking attacks are of high risk of landing on top of your units and be killed that way.

Look for incoming fast units with can openers of any kind, kill them with your supporting units and secundary armament.

Long Range Return Fire like Lascannons, Rocket Launchers, Lances and other stuff you can minimize by using the greater range of your main weapon as a favor.

Keeping this in mind i managed to do this:

1. Use of Baneblade: Killing 1200 Points of sisters, BB destroyed in turn 6.
2. Use of Baneblade: Killing 800 points of Nids, BB survived with a handful secondary armament and 1 structure point
3. use of Baneblade: Killing 3 serpents, 20 guardians and some other stuff within 2 turns. BB destroyed at turn 4 due to a lucky and high risky deep strike within a safe landing zone sourrunded by other units of mine and impassible terrain of only 6 inch diameter.

In every case the Baneblade was eating up incredible loads of return fires from all calibres, saving the rest of my army.

HINT: Place an enginseer with 4 tech servitors right behind the BB. The BB can only move 6 inches, the enginseer will therefore always be in direct contact to the BB, repairing weapon and engine damage on a 2+.

Dribble Joy
07-12-2007, 11:37
It's all about a skullhamma with a Big Mek with a KFF inside.

I seriously annoyed one opponent who used careful planning and flank march to completely shaft me. All my other stuff died horribly but it took him about 8 turns or more to kill the super-heavy, I just kept rolling 4+s. Of course he stripped all the weapons off and immobilised it endlessly, but all the glancing hits in the world won't kill it.

When it finally did pop, the MA nobs inside went and jumped up and down on his baneblade, that only took a couple of turns for my WB to PK his way through it. They then munced their way through two TS termi squads and a load of guard before finally getting shot.

Dragonlv8
07-12-2007, 11:43
so for 500 points this Vehical if used right can kill over double its points :p
for me and my friends guard apocolypse we will have 2 or 3 :p

DartzIRL
07-12-2007, 12:40
Still doesn't defeat my simple Vanquisher tank, which in a 1500pt game, accoutned for nearly 1000...

A Baneblade is a powerful model, but it is still one model. I've seen one (FW, not under apocalypse rules) brought down by a lucky glancing hit followed by a flurry of sixes.... Very rare, but possible to do.

Guy was gutted... Quite litterally by the end of the game. Anything less than 2k points, it's too much tied upo in the one unit.Though, in small regular games, even at up to 640-700 points for the Imperial Armour rules, the enemy will have a helluva time dealing with it, or even getting close enough to do any harm.

Hell, I'd love to just enter a single Baneblade tank in a 750pt tournament...for the hell of it. As it counts as it's own detachment... it should be doable. Might die in the first turn, but it'd be fun. A return of the seconded. uber character army...

Reaver83
07-12-2007, 12:51
my kharn has so far killed three and a couple of other super heavies too

Cuthullu
07-12-2007, 13:15
of course a baneblade can be killed with proper tactics. The Vanquisher mentioned is one, because it is outranging the Baneblade Cannon.

And of course lucky hits can also kill it.

But thats not the question, the question is the overall durability for a Baneblade on the battlefield, IF used correctly.

AV 14 is AV 14, even AV 13 on the sides is good. Most long Range Anti Tank Weapons are having problems to deal with it. Even the lascannon needs fives to glance, the Launcher can only glance, many other weapons do also have a hard time penetrating AV 14.

Against normal Tanks this is not such a big deal, since dealing a glancing hit prevents the enemy tank ALWAYS from shooting at minimum. The Tank will die from mostly any penetrating hit or lucky glancing hits.

The Baneblade and all other Warmachines does not. They keep firing their remaining weaponry, they mostly keep moving, they can suffer 3 hits that any other tank will remain as wreck.
Their Main Guns deal incredible amount of damage, their redundant weapons are main weapons for other tanks, their main guns have saving throws. A glancing hit will never take a structure point away, never!

Together with an enginseer it is quite impossible to kill a baneblades main weapons, because i have a 4+ saving throw made in my oppenents turn, followed by a 2+ repair roll made in my turn after movement, before shooting.

Together with clever use of terrain and some defending support units, a baneblade really is hard to kill. He is not in godmode, but a hard piece, a very hard piece.
Just keep in Mind that a Hellhammer Baneblade, thus having small range with its main gun, which is bringing it closer to enemy Anti Tank Fire, will kill everything NOT having any kinds of invulnerable save, no matter if in cover or not, or which armor save.

Of course, in small games everything is concentrating on the baneblade, but imagine just a "small" Apo game with 3k points. Only 500 are from the baneblade, that leaves me 2500 points for the rest of my guard army. You all know what horrible amount of conventional firepower a guard army at 2500 points can bring.

DartzIRL
07-12-2007, 13:39
Indeed.

It is a killing machine when used properly. But, too many people will plonk it in the center of the table, and hope it's bristling nature will do the job tactics usually do.

I look forward to killing a BB first turn with my armoured company, I really do.

lachlin
07-12-2007, 14:20
Yup, My big mek w/ KFF equipped skullhamma killed 30 or so eldar guardians and fire warrior squad in the two turns we played. The mek kept fixing weapon destroyed results (one on the main gun, and one on the secondary kannon). I think skullhamma baneblades are more survivable than their imperial counterparts.

zeep
07-12-2007, 14:56
...Against normal Tanks this is not such a big deal, since dealing a glancing hit prevents the enemy tank ALWAYS from shooting at minimum.

Incorrect, and I hear this one alot.

Cirenivel
07-12-2007, 15:04
Well, I have a baneblade that has killed something like 50+ MEQs in two games (one was in a target-poo enviroment, the other only lasted three turns) and all that has been done to it is that it has lost one structure point. (using it as support for a warlord helps alot too :D)

Incorrect, and I hear this one alot.

Thinking of imobilised or weapon destroyed?
It is still a pretty hefty handicap

Cirenivel

zeep
07-12-2007, 15:24
Thinking of imobilised or weapon destroyed?
It is still a pretty hefty handicap

Cirenivel

Immobilized really isn't that bad a handicap if you put some thought into your movement, you'll still be a pillbox with a nice field of fire and the range of the guns to command respect. I'm going to have to punch in some more anti-tank even after I've pill-boxed your D.A.T's.

Weapon Destroyed of course hurts, but hey, its better than a six. :D

I was referring to the idea that all you had to do was hit and score a roll on the charts to keep it from firing. I hear it alot and Ive lost many a game to a tank with good positioning that I scored an immob / weapon destroyed on the turn before.

Ordo Ouroboros
07-12-2007, 15:35
The problem is getting close to a Baneblade, if the pieces are set up to make targetting the damn thing difficult and it has some heavy support in tow, it maks for a difficlt tagtet to get close too, nless you use Deep Strike. That said, my daughter managed to get in close enogh her first Apoc game with a hoard of genestealers and rend the thing to an apocolyptic explosion

madden
07-12-2007, 16:32
i run the hellhammer and it is a killer, sure the main gun has short range but it kills anything, and i find the heavy flamers a total let down i wish they were inferno cannons or even just use the hellstorm template for the extra range.

back on thead mine has killed lots of beserkers and other cc nuts it has suffered damage normaly the drive from lucky hits and glances hence my small gripe above but overall it is excellent.

Dragonlv8
08-12-2007, 02:32
Warseer must be the most sucsesful Warhammer players out there, you all claim use it right and every one who posts have used it right and killed alot.
Id like to see what the non warseer people would say (the people who use it wrong) :)

Ordo Ouroboros
08-12-2007, 02:35
We try ;-P

alex03
08-12-2007, 06:01
Warseer must be the most sucsesful Warhammer players out there, you all claim use it right and every one who posts have used it right and killed alot.
Id like to see what the non warseer people would say (the people who use it wrong) :)

I just got one from a friend as a birthday/Christmas present. I’m sure once I get it built and in some games it will under perform beautifully and generally get destroyed first turn. Really.

Nerglitch
08-12-2007, 06:06
It is basically a big slow target.

JeffJedi
08-12-2007, 08:13
...that's hard to destroy and loaded with eleven barrels of death. :D

Seth the Dark
08-12-2007, 08:23
I've killed two so far (the same on; two different games) but have only wrecked it. Its funny when your opponent is sad that it didnt explode!

LuTze
08-12-2007, 08:36
Mine has never performed spectacularly. Its taken a fair amount of points from my opponents army, near to its own points cost worth. However...it did die to one shot from a vindicare's sniper (Turbopenetrator shot) at the front armour. An unholy amount of 6s equalled one (luckily) wrecked baneblade

LuTze

Mozzamanx
08-12-2007, 09:10
Has anyone had any experience with the Hellhammer? I'm getting a kit for christmas and would love to turn into the 'Hammer, but I'm not convinced it's on par with the Baneblade ruleswise.

Cirenivel
08-12-2007, 14:01
Has anyone had any experience with the Hellhammer? I'm getting a kit for christmas and would love to turn into the 'Hammer, but I'm not convinced it's on par with the Baneblade ruleswise.

Well, it has shorter range, so it's more like an assault tank.
That said, it doesn't really matter about the rules. Just take the one you think look the coolest :cool:

Cirenivel

Godgolden
08-12-2007, 15:02
dont flank march it when your enemy has another set of resveres on the way, unless of course your in for a laugh :)

studderigdave
08-12-2007, 16:04
i nuked a baneblade last weekend with a squad of harlies charging the rear armor and rending it to death. 2 weeks before that i had a trygon rush a baneblade and over the course of 3 turns reduce it to a single TL HB.

i do have to admit, the baneblade can take ALOT of heat

Belisarius
08-12-2007, 16:56
managed to kill a baneblade on turn two with a havock squad and a deep stiking group of three obliterators, even managed to get the apocalyptic explosion and my opponent rolled a 16 for size, good bye obliterators, goodbye two leman russ tanks, good bye hell hound, good bye chimera, good bye platoon of imp guard. Now before I killed it the thing took out 32 mutants and 15 traitor guard and had destroyed a rhino. But let me tell you when that thing goes nuclear it really can clear a hole in a battle line.

Cuthullu
10-12-2007, 06:49

Well as my Signature says i am playing guard without disruption over 10 years now. I had to undergo a years long way of hard learning, countless losses until i managed my own playstyle and gained the understanding how guard armies worked. So i do claim the title of knowing how guard armies are played.

Every try playing other armies leaved me selling them on ebay. I was not comfortable with MechTau, i didnt managed to play Marines, i wouldnt even be able to win games with eldar or nids. But with guard i do excellent.

So i think i do know what i am talking about.

When playing Guard, you can look on real tactics, and one of these real tactics say, defend your heaviest units with close defense support.

Dragonlv8
10-12-2007, 09:11
Well as my Signature says i am playing guard without disruption over 10 years now. I had to undergo a years long way of hard learning, countless losses until i managed my own playstyle and gained the understanding how guard armies worked. So i do claim the title of knowing how guard armies are played.

Every try playing other armies leaved me selling them on ebay. I was not comfortable with MechTau, i didnt managed to play Marines, i wouldnt even be able to win games with eldar or nids. But with guard i do excellent.

So i think i do know what i am talking about.

When playing Guard, you can look on real tactics, and one of these real tactics say, defend your heaviest units with close defense support.

Im starting guard, il message you when im ready for tactics.

Triggerdog
10-12-2007, 09:18
I find the biggest threat to my Baneblade to be monstrous creatures with lots of attacks and Defilers. Be careful of those because they can quickly eat your precious tank.

Over the weeks since its creation my Baneblade has accounted for probably half a company of marines, most of a tau hunter cadre, 2000pts of necrons (which was in a single game), two whirlwinds, three rhinos, and about three russ tanks.

Dragonlv8
10-12-2007, 09:43
I find the biggest threat to my Baneblade to be monstrous creatures with lots of attacks and Defilers. Be careful of those because they can quickly eat your precious tank.

Over the weeks since its creation my Baneblade has accounted for probably half a company of marines, most of a tau hunter cadre, 2000pts of necrons (which was in a single game), two whirlwinds, three rhinos, and about three russ tanks.

When I get round to getting one, il count exactly how many he kills, Il tally it on my computer in notepad or something.

adreal
10-12-2007, 11:01
Hmmm, I have used a baneblade twice.........first time, it did okay, took about 300pts down before it died (damn fire dragons and fuegan).
Second game it rules over everything and won me the game (ok my team, and it held an objective while my havoks killed other targets holding objectives) The baneblade did hold a flank on its own that game, although this was helped by a wraithlord sleeping for three turns and an eldar aspect wave being re-directed from the falnk march to the other side of the board.

It was used in another game (I lent it to a friend) and it didn't do a hell of alot, took about three four turns of fire power but really, just didn't do much

madden
10-12-2007, 11:13
All the above are true but you put one down and the scare factor for the opponant is good they try and kill it regardless of any thing else. I use a hell hammer as a big slow distraction, it works for me most of the time.

Cuthullu
10-12-2007, 11:56
Good point Madden. 3,5k Apo Game, one Baneblade worth 500 Points. First enemy shooting phase. 2000+ Points are firing at the Baneblade, screaming in fear and agony, Baneblade is eating up most of the fire, probably will die.

Baneblade owner´s turn: 3000 points that were nearly left unharmed are opening fire to the 3,5k enemy army.

End of the story, Guard wins.

Ok I was going over the top with this example, but i think the message is clear. Ignore the Baneblade, it will kill you. Getting trapped in fear, firing everything on this beast to bring it down 100%, the rest will kill you.
Both ways, the Baneblade did well.
When facing a warmachine, doesnt matter which, think first, think again, then attack.