PDA

View Full Version : Stupidity vs. Booiiing

stashman
07-12-2007, 09:32
What is overuling what?

Stupidity - Compulsory move

Booiing - also compulsory move and 3d6"

What if a snotling pumpwagon got stupidity from a spell?

Does Immune to psychology protect from stupidity?

Atrahasis
07-12-2007, 09:41
Neither overrules the other.

ItP does not protect against Stupidity.

Stupidity causes units to move directly ahead (random direction for skirmishers) at half rate; snotlings/squigs move at a random rate, so determine it and then half it.

kroq'gar
07-12-2007, 09:43
immune to phyc does stop stupidity, hence the coldone exemption (note coldone...)

Atrahasis
07-12-2007, 09:44
immune to phyc does stop stupidity, hence the coldone exemption (note coldone...)Nuh-uh. If Cold Ones have an exception (and I think they only have it in CoS) then it's just that; an exception.

kroq'gar
07-12-2007, 09:52
the exception as noted is they still suffer stupidity even if the riders immune to phyc.

Atrahasis
07-12-2007, 09:57
Then they are no exception at all - ItP in 7th edition protects against fear, terror and panic only.

T10
07-12-2007, 10:58
6th edition special rules make frequent mention of models being subject to certain psychology "even though they are immune to psychology." The reason for this is of course that the 6th edition rules oversimplified things, so by RAW, a unit with the both the Hatred and Frenzy rules would not really be subject to Hatred while Frenzied.

-T10

DeathlessDraich
07-12-2007, 11:21
Some further observations:

1) Stupidity is a misnomer somewhat. A unit that is subjected to Stupidity is not actually Stupid but could later be. Stupidity is actually a Test for Stupidity.

2) It is psychologically strange that a Frenzied unit or even an Unbreakable unit could have to 'Test for Stupidity'.

3) If a normal unit with a Frenzied character is rendered Stupid by the enemy e.g. Dragontooth arrow, Stupidity is given priority and the Frenzied character still cannot charge out of the unit. Stupidity seems to overwhelm everything (especially in the White House:p)

blurred
07-12-2007, 11:46
ItP in 7th edition protects against fear, terror and panic only.

Stupidity seems to overwhelm everything

Page reference please.

Atrahasis
07-12-2007, 12:31
Page reference please.

Oh, I dunno, maybe in the Psychology section? Page 32.

stashman
07-12-2007, 20:43
Booiiingg rule says:

Always travel 3d6" in a strait line.

T10
08-12-2007, 11:03
Which is nice on paper but does not work at all in practive as the models will frequently need to move more or less than the roll in order to engage enemies in close combat. Animosity and the Hand of Gork or the Waaagh! spells are clearly exceptions as well. That "always" isn't as absolute as one might think.

Edit: To elaborate: For all intents and purposes the 3d6 result is the unit's move for the occasion, and the "always" clause makes most sense if read as "where possible", meaning that the unit is compelled to always move as far as the circumstances allow. There are no circumstances inherent in the unit that it should ever be subject to stupidity or other movement reduction as it is merely immune to psychology and ignores terrain penalties.

-T10

Gazak Blacktoof
08-12-2007, 12:17
Is there a concensus on how Boiiing and animosity rolls of 1 (or for that matter rolls of a 6) interact?

Pump wagons are nice and easy because they don't have animosity.

Do you dice off every time you roll a 1 or a 6 to see if they don't move or move further ?

There's nothing in the FAQ and I didn't see anything in the greenskin book.

T10
09-12-2007, 09:16
Is there a concensus on how Boiiing and animosity rolls of 1 (or for that matter rolls of a 6) interact?

Do you dice off every time you roll a 1 or a 6 to see if they don't move or move further ?

Well, "Squabble" tells us that the unit will "do nothing" this turn. It seems reasonable that this will stop the unit from moving.

-T10

Urgat
09-12-2007, 10:22

If I roll 1 for my squigs, they don't move, if they roll 4, I move 4D6, basically.

T10
09-12-2007, 12:02
I take it you mean rolling 6 rather than rolling 4.

Moving 4d6 would not be correct procedure. The first 1d6 inches of movement is subject to certain restrictions that do not apply to the final 3d6 inches of movement. For instance, the unit is required to make that initial move towards the enemy, while the final move can be made in any direction.

-T10

Nurgling Chieftain
10-12-2007, 19:41
How about if they hit the board edge?

Atrahasis
10-12-2007, 19:45
The board edge is impassable except in very specific circumstances (pursuit off the table).

Da GoBBo
10-12-2007, 20:14
Which is nice on paper but does not work at all in practive as the models will frequently need to move more or less than the roll in order to engage enemies in close combat. Animosity and the Hand of Gork or the Waaagh! spells are clearly exceptions as well. That "always" isn't as absolute as one might think.

I'd like to point out we had a big discussion a couple of months back about this and some people thought that this rule means the unit does move a full 3d6" indeed and if they touched anything after this movement was finished (note that the rule doesn't clearly say anything about touching while moving or after moving) than ye count as having charged. This idea dates from 6th and 5th (and perhaps further back, I don't know about that) when squigs could jump, I'm fully aware of that, but I think the current rules don't rule it out.
Anyway, I don't wan't to revive this discussion, but it was meant to illustrate that yours wasn't really a watertight argument.

As for stupidity in general. These tests are taken before (compulsory) movement in what the book refers to as the start of the turn phase (phase 1, movement is phase 2), so it's effects overrule normal movementrules, except when specifically noted otherwise. I agree with Atrahasis that you should determine the range as normal and half it when subject to stupidity.