PDA

View Full Version : Most infuriating things while playing....

DartzIRL
07-12-2007, 12:53
Those little pet peeves that, when your opponent does them, make you want to send a Leman Russ through their skull.

Firstly...

Flicking... A tendancy of some people,usually children, to flick your models when they kill them. Plastic ones, hell, I do it myself to my own, but a metal miniature can chip, and my metals tend to be better painted than plastic.

Nose picking/sneezing on play area. It always congregates on your tanks, and you never notice until you pick it up. Nurgle players are especially bad for it

Borrowed models not being given back. Loaned a guy a space marine or two, from a display squad I'd painted up. Really classy job, even if they were just plastic marines. Nice Missile Launcher dude and one bolter guy were missing from the case when I got home.

Obscene Beardyism: That Tau player on the one inch ledge being a case in point. Above model height you have an argument for a difficult terrain test... but otherwise...

And worst of all...

People who kill your tanks on their side of the tab;e, and refuse to hand them to you. Some are genuinely afraid of damaging them, fair enough, but if I ask for a dead model to be handed to me, it seems no big deal to actually do it... Saves me reaching across the table, or saves time from walking right around the play area. In a crowded GW when you're 18 stone, this can be an issue.

Jade_Dragon
07-12-2007, 13:28
http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116466

DartzIRL
07-12-2007, 13:33
I know... but that's more a discussion about little kiddies and how to introduce them to the game, and those who woulf think it's a good idea to crush them or not, though, so I thought I'd try a new topic, with similar intent...or something...

Damn.. well, it made sense at the time. I should stick to KCL node analysi and circuit stuff in protel...

Ouroboros
07-12-2007, 13:40
One thing that bugs me is people who can't seem to stay at the table while you're playing. This is typically a problem with multi players games more but really, if you were that uninterested in playing why did you start in the first place.

Stop walking away. I'm sick of looking for you everytime somebody wants you to make a save. The next multiplater game I have is going to have a houserule. If you're not there to roll the save you auto fail it and the wound causes instant death.

theunwantedbeing
07-12-2007, 13:40
People who "accidentally" knock their models over and then stand them back up a little bit forward of where they were knocked over.
Usually done by those wearing gloves (and refusing to take them off....) and baggy tops (again refusing to roll up their sleeves or simply remove the offending item).

I noticed this as more of a fantasy thing, but I'de watched him play a 40k game with his necrons previously and he did the same thing.

He also rolled his dice into his opponents models and knocked them over, repositioning them slightly further back or further forward depending on what seemed advantageous at the time (or so it looked, dont claim to understand 40k but he did the same for fantasy).

Never come across somebody who will outright refuse to give you a slain model back.
Usually people are more than happy to pick your models up if they belive you wont pass your saves and will toss them to your side of the board wquite happily.
Although only ever seen this with plastic models.....people seem to have enough respect to not throw those metal models that will most likely break when thrown.

Marinox
07-12-2007, 14:50
stalling. god i hate that.

guy just stands there shaking dice in his hand staring at the table...

"i'm gonna shoot.....no...wait......."

i've seen this guy play for years, and i don't think i've ever seen him play a turn 5 or six. when a game a 1850 game hits the 3.5 hour mark, most people just give up.

AAAAARRRRG!!!

From Shadows
07-12-2007, 14:53
People who will roll the dice one at a time,when rolling numerous rolls to wound.

EVIL INC
07-12-2007, 14:55
A buddy of mine gets REALLY mad when I say "anything but a one" when he rolls to wound my models with weapons that need anything but a one. Inevitably, when I say that, he rolls a one.
I hate to touch an opponants models without express permission. To me, it is a sign of respect. Of course, ifthey ask or I know they dont care, I find no problem handing them to them.

Edit: Peoplewho roll dice into difficult areas where they KNOW they will end up catty corner and cocked. Then they only reroll the ones that missed even if only a slight little bit uneven while they will accept good rolls no matter HOW badly they are cocked. To me, I find this to be outright cheating. When I roll and they end up uneven, I ask my opponant if they want me to reroll. This respect usually earns honest opinions from opponants and they will usually give a fair judgement.

Agrip. Varenus Denter
07-12-2007, 15:38
I think talking on or texting on their mobiles... or alternately asking for a game, knowing that it's going to take a while - and then halfway through decide that they "have to go... I didn't know how long this was going to take".

Raven1
07-12-2007, 15:48
I hate endless bickering about rules so someone can do a cheesy move

or stand in models that don't represent whatever is not actually there like a lictor with a blank black base
or something similar

the one with dice one by one, I had a good friend who did that for a while, becasue he passed more of whatever he needed to roll. I would get so mad.

RampagingRavener
07-12-2007, 15:49
stalling. god i hate that.

Okay, I'm just gonna step in here; if he's doing it deliberatly to try and delay the game, then fair enough. But some people do like to think over their moves and make sure they're not going to do something which'll lose them the game. I do it myself, usually taking three or four minutes at the start of each of my turns to look over the table and play around with diffrent strategies and decide which one is best. Besides, three and a half hours? That's hardly very long outside a timed tournament, at least where I play.

Do have to second people who wander away from the table in the middle of a game, though. Especially if it's only a few turns in, and they just decide "I'm bored, let's go do something else." And I'm left packing away a hundred odd models, carting them back home in the bus, and repairing breakages/chipped paint all for nothing.

Ouroboros
07-12-2007, 15:55
People who "accidentally" knock their models over and then stand them back up a little bit forward of where they were knocked over.
Usually done by those wearing gloves (and refusing to take them off....) and baggy tops (again refusing to roll up their sleeves or simply remove the offending item).

That reminds me of something that happened to me a few years ago back in third ed.

I was playing this necron guy and I'd just unloaded a unit of Chaos marines with fist champ about 5.5 inches from one of his warrior squads about to assault them. I then bent over for some reason, to get something out of my case or pick up a dice I dropped, and when I stand up this guy is blatently moving the whole front line of his squad backwards to screw me out of the assault.

I called him on it instantly and he tried to mutter some ******** about turning them around to face the right way or something. I told him I was assaulting his unit anyway and proceeded to finish the game, which I probably shouldn't have.

He never showed up again, which considering he was a powergaming prick who I'd previously overheard bragging about beating a 11 year old with his cheese ass Ctan army, was probably the best possible outcome.

Preston
07-12-2007, 16:10
To be honest, I've wanted to quit halfway through a very long games, especially apocalypse size battles with a lot of people. Main reason I don't care for apocalypse actually, 12 people with 3k point armies, even as teams, takes awhile.

Most frustrating thing for me during a game is "roll and snatch" dice rolling.

30 dice hit the table, the opponent mutters something about "X+ to hit..19 hits" and snatches them up off the table (all out of eyesight) and proceeds to do the same with his wounds. >.<

madden
07-12-2007, 16:19
In our club to avoid the dice probs (cocking, roll n snatch, out of sight etc) we have a cut down shoe box and ALL dice are rolled in it any which arnt are auto wasted missed failed etc and all peeps in the club are aware of the rule.

Kelkyen
07-12-2007, 16:21
For me, it's how 6" can sometimes stretch to 8". Also it's damned odd that if I couldn't rapid fire 12" last turn because the enemy was too far away, but the squad I was shooting at made two 6" moves and assaulted me.

Tanks moving, but they measure form the tanks front at the start, to it's rear for the final placement. Mainly done with Landraiders with a command squad in them.

Models that have LOS to shoot me, but you argue I don't have LOS to shoot back 5 minutes later.

"Go backs" are annoying, but I often let it slide. Keeps the game friendly. I've seen friends forget to shoot with a unit, ask if they can "go back" during the assault phase, and be refused by a rules lawyer. Often the rules lawyer forgets something important during their very next turn and wants to "go back" and gets mad when they are refused.

Best example of above was when a rules lawyer Khorne player refused a tank to "go back" and shoot another tank. Fair enough, but then the Khorne player forgot to move his entire army because he fixated on shooting the tank. Oh the screaming.

Visionary
07-12-2007, 16:32
Just a little thing but whenever I'm part of a multi player game the other people never do their moves together they wait for one to finish then the next starts, it stretches it out which annoys me. It's even worse when the other guy asks what to do afterwards ...

Shadowphrakt
07-12-2007, 16:39
I really hate people who make you roll your dice at the same time as theirs. This mainly happens in LOTR, but has happened to me in 40K as well. Where in the rules does it say that?
And I really hate people who, if your unit and theirs is in close combat, when one of their models kills yours, they pick them up and clash them off each other and I'm like "No! don't do that, you chipped the paint *:cries:sob:cries:*"
I also dislike people painting with bare models. Just bare metal or plastic, i mean, at least undercoat them for jebus' sake! I always try to undercoat models as fast as possible. If they have just bought them, i am cool with that, but if they've had them for a while :mad:
Rules lawyers also **** me off. And the roll and snatch players

Preston
07-12-2007, 16:43
whoa....whoa...wait...

Shadow, you play LotR?

Shadowphrakt
07-12-2007, 16:54
Yeah, it was my first game. Easterling Kataphrakts. Only play it occasionally. Getting really bored with it. And all my opponents want to play really huge games. Which are boring.

Democratus
07-12-2007, 17:00
"Go backs" are annoying, but I often let it slide. Keeps the game friendly. I've seen friends forget to shoot with a unit, ask if they can "go back" during the assault phase, and be refused by a rules lawyer. Often the rules lawyer forgets something important during their very next turn and wants to "go back" and gets mad when they are refused.

Best example of above was when a rules lawyer Khorne player refused a tank to "go back" and shoot another tank. Fair enough, but then the Khorne player forgot to move his entire army because he fixated on shooting the tank. Oh the screaming.

Sounds like your problem isn't rules lawyers, but hypocrites.

I'm infuriated when I call someone on breaking a rule and then they call me a Rules Layer - as if wanting to play the game by the rules is bad sportsmanship. :confused:

Just Tony
07-12-2007, 17:14
I have a list:

First off, I'm VERY superstitious about my dice. Always have been. Every player in both groups I play with own their own dice, so there should be no reason to touch mine. I always leave them on the table long enough for people to see what I rolled, and in no way try to fudge any results. But the prime example is my friend Joe. We played a game WAY back in 3rd Edition where he was using that deep strike Tyranid army from the rulebook. He picked up and rolled my dice as they were a bit closer than his. From THAT point on, I couldn't roll higher than a 3 for anything other than leaderships. I mean LITERALLY didn't hit or wound with more than four weapons that game. From that moment on, nobody touches my dice.

In one league I played in in Ft. Wayne, I made it to the tournament at the end. One of the players I played against in the first battle of the league did the most annoying thing ever. I'd measure movements and whatnot, and any shooting I had, I'd have him help me hold the measuring tape so he could see where the measure lies. Only fair, right? He promptly took his own tape and remeasured EVERY damn measurement I made, even the 4 inch ones for shooting. I could understand if there were close ones, but it was like he though I had some special trick tape measure. OR it was just his way of unnerving someone to make them play poorly. WHich worked. So when I found out I had made it to the tourney at the end, as did he, I went to the tourney day with a pair of tin snips in my army case. But that bit of revenge was not to be, as I hosed my semifinal match. Oh well....

In one tournament I was playing in, my little brother and best friend Greg went to a store that we normally didn't go to. As it stood, there was one more player than would normally be optimal for a perfectly even single elimination tourney. To rectify this the store manager, Carlos, had me play two first round games. At first I just figured any amount of games would be good, as I was there more to play new and interesting people more than to win overall. So my first match up was with my little brother. I kinda found this suspicious as Carlos knew from our discussions that I'd always had problems with my brother's Dark Eldar. Well, I lucked out. And the Ork player didn't knock me out. Next was an Eldar player that was incredibly fun. THEN we get to the crux of the problem I had with the tournament. Playing against this kid that Carlos had loaned an army to for the tournament. As we played, he got rulings on EVERY possible situation, which Carlos sided with him on. The most BLATANT was when I had a multimelta shot on his chaplain. Hit. Wound. Failed Invulnerable. Cut and dry, right? Only he's on a bike... Well, it's still instant death, the bike doesn't stop S 8 instant death. Well, he argues this, as his chaplain is the only unit close enough to stop my scouts from holding this objective. Well, as my little brother is getting the WD issue that had the errata on characters and bikes, he calls for Carlos and a ruling. Even AFTER seeing the ruling, he ruled for his friend running his army. And with that, the Chaplain makes his way through my scouts, freeing up the objective since there were no victory points on this mission. And I get to go home with nothing. There wasn't even a third place prize given, as was advertised. The two winning players decided to not play the last round as time was limited, and the total prize amounts were divided between the two.

And last but not least, we have the gamers wandering the store, watching the games who just can't resist picking up models IN PLAY to examine the paint job. What is up with that?!?!?!?!

Gnr Rear
07-12-2007, 17:19
Unpainted figures. Not bothered if you are the crappiest painter on the planet, at least put a little effort into it.

DartzIRL
07-12-2007, 20:45
Unpainted figures. Not bothered if you are the crappiest painter on the planet, at least put a little effort into it.

Indeed... makes it a pig to figure out what wargear they have in the sea of white metal. Or, all-black undercoat models. i suppose, camoufalage and all that. GW Blanchardstown used to have a three colours= painted rule....

You'd be surprised at how many didn't even have that....

Black Antelope
07-12-2007, 22:00
Models that have LOS to shoot me, but you argue I don't have LOS to shoot back 5 minutes later.

I get this quite a bit with skimmers. So, you claim that your H destoyer/railhead etc can shoot at my exocist behind terrian, becuase it is "Up in the sky", and yet when I shoot back its at ground level?

I usealy let this slide, mainy becuase I encounter few powergamers, and as nearly everone who I play is a kid (like me), we all make mistakes every now and again, and so we tend to allow it maby once or twice a game. If im playing someone I dont know, I tend to let them, and if they dont want me to, "oh well" and carry on.

swamp_slug
07-12-2007, 23:40
Apologising!
I used to play against a friend who would habitually apologise whenever he killed something in my army. It's a wargame! Things are supposed to die!
Still, barring that minor issue, the games were fun and some of the closest I have ever played.

big squig
07-12-2007, 23:54
People who won't get off their iPods while playing.

Killgore
07-12-2007, 23:55
people who take half an hour to do a single movement phase

people who ask stupid questions that arnt even playing in my game and are only spectating

people who touch my models, i dont care if it interests you, dont touch them without asking me first

children. i have a strong dislike for the gameshop kid

timewasters, dont agree to battle me then say you actly cant be bothered, as thats very rude

SharpSilver
08-12-2007, 01:23
I was in my local store a few years ago, and I was in town with a few of my mates, they went off somewhere, cant remember.

I decided to get a mcdonalds (lol) and then pop back and watch a game and chat a bit.

I did that, came back, and watched a game unfold with a 2 v 2 battle with a take and hold objective, Tau + SM vs CSM + CSM.

About 25 minutes into the game, a 'game-shop kid' walks in with his dad, and this kid must be like 8, hes all jumpy and excited, and proceeds to walk up to the Table while game is in play, and accidently, (or so it may seem) knock off a 5 man CSM squad that all 5 had just failed their Armour saves, and were killed. He then proceeds to walk to the other-side of the shop, pull a box of Space Wolves off the shelf, look at it for like 1 minute, (guessing just looking at the box for the pictures), he then puts it back in the completely wrong section, somewhere like the Fantasy section I seem to remember.

I was annoyed, and so was the 3 other people who saw him didn't even notice the CSM on the floor, we just stood and stared in almost awe as he just walked out.

Interesting conversations soon followed.

Master Jeridian
08-12-2007, 02:00
Not infuriating persay but...

Once had an opponent get first turn, then attempt to shoot my units with 24" guns. Even after I explained that we should be more than 24" apart on deployment he attempts to pass it off as tough luck...

Then there's the Ben Shuffle, in his defence he's only done it once or twice, and it is likely purely innocent but I can see someone doing it intentionally.

Basically, the infamous 8" move instead of 6", but when called on it, look innocent, measure 6" back from the moved models, move them back 6", then move forward 6" again....if you missed that piece of sleight of hand, the models still moved 8", you just have little way of proving it and at first glance it looks like they corrected the mistake.

Godgolden
08-12-2007, 02:15
Beeing accused of anything in store... im probibly the most fun happy la-deda golucky player in the world.. but when i ask if something really had something special... or special army rules, or even if he rolled 'that' (you know what i mean) i get accused...

I tank shocked a barbed hiradule with a tank.. and killed it... i cheered and laughed and played with gumdrop smiles but when he tried to take it back.. granted with a believable reason and i get accused of being a 'unsportsmanlike' player when i question his reason..
(this wasnt a serious thing... just a more recent -in- memory small tiff)

Doing the typical CC army tactic.. of measuring 6" and moving the model from front to back.. (7") mix in fleet and your moving pretty fast, if it wasnt apocalypse i would call him on it but it ended up a really fun game (i got hooooosed, darn MC's making tanks asplode lol)

Ahhh im just touchy... if people insult my pride it hurts ya know..

And last of all... short attention, "HEY im rolling here... want to check the results? Yo.. dude! i know he is dancing the mackarena with a pink frilly hat but dude... i just shot your ass.. attention here! helloooo... ah yes.. i missed.. carry on...."

Coragus
08-12-2007, 03:00
I hate it when other players come up and give advice to my opponent. I'm not talking about friendly advice to a new player, I mean regulars getting each others' backs.

I hate it when my opponent is supposed to be a long time expert at a particular army, but when you play him, you are opposed by an army of invisible figures on plain black bases.

I really, REALLY hate it when that player beats me.

Preston
08-12-2007, 05:12
the 3 colors painted rule is rubbish. Whats to stop people from polkadotting their models?

Personally, it doesn't matter to me if someones army is painted or not. As long as it's assembled and they aren't trying to cheat. Hell, most of my stuff isn't painted (or for my chaos, even basecoated at this point). But I only get to play about once a month. *shrug*

Treadhead_1st
08-12-2007, 06:06
My pet peeves are the general movement fudges, range fudges, etc that have already been mentioned.

Most annoying thing was playing a mid-teen "kid", and he had some uber-tricked out HQ of ultra-death (something like a Castellan with Retinue + Grimaldus + Helbrecht, in LRC). Carved it's way through a unit of mine (20 conscripts), then got held up by an Inquisitor and 15 sisters [LRC got 3 ML and a Basilisk turned on it on Turn 1, immobilising it right back in his own DZ]. 2000 pts per player, IIRC.

"kid" started moaning to everyone how the uber-unit of 1/3 of his army couldn't beat a few women in power armour - it was then pointed out to him (although I already had my suspicions, but wasn't going to say anything till after the game) that his combo was totally illegal, as it required 3 HQ choices.

He threw a MASSIVE strop about how I was cheating so badly as his unit didn't win, and bribing all the GW staff as they were agreeing with me, but his combo was CERTAINLY legal, and all that junk.

After he started liberally punctuating his sentences with graphic insults he got kicked out - but still, was a major annoyance in game.

Especially as it was 2vs2 ;) fortunately the other guy on the side wanted to play on, and we adjusted the scenario to Last Stand mid-way through the battle to compensate - and this was one of the most entertaining games yet - not a single in game issue, something of a rarity it seems (don't get to play too often thanks to uni work, so I'm always the 'new face' in the store and get lumped with the annoying people)

++EDIT++

Can I also just mention that I also hate the 3 colours rule being enforced. Thanks to uni workloads, there is no way I can paint up my 2000pt Salamander force to a quality I am happy with in a week, or even in a year tbh. I'm not going to fudge an entire army just for some "casual games". Yes, certain squads may improve, such as an extra squad basecoated, or one single model extra painted in a couple of weeks, but I can't physically spare the time to paint any more than that, and don't see why I should be refused games, or be labelled as one of "those players" or anything [/rant]

squeekenator
08-12-2007, 06:41
My only real pet hate is when people move a model at the front of the squad 6" forwards and then gets another at the back of the squad and plonks them down in front of that one. My friend is constantly doing this, and due to large squads he often moves Wyches more than 12" doing it.

azimaith
08-12-2007, 06:44
I always found people who get all grumpy and snippy when they're losing to be rather infuriating. People who have played me will probably agree I can't get a stupid grin off my face the entire game. Something about 40k I guess.

Eldartank
08-12-2007, 07:31
The "roll and snatch" thing that others mentioned here really annoyed me, too. But there is only one person I ever encountered who ever did that. He was a regular at our local gaming store. The first couple times he did it, I insisted he reroll the dice and NOT touch them until I was able to see what he rolled. Finally, I INSISTED that any future "roll and snatch" would mean automatic failures for all the rolls. And the other regulars in the store backed me up. After losing his precious Hive Tyrant because he failed five 2+ saves, he learned to stop doing the roll and snatch.

One REALLY ANNOYING thing that some people did (right about the time when the new Star Wars movies came out) was the "jedi hand wave." This one idiot would wave his hand over your dice as you rolled them, and then laugh or brag about his "jedi powers" if you got bad dice rolls. That one was stopped when I insisted that whenever he did his "jedi hand wave" during my dice roll, then ALL the rolls would be automatically successful regardless of the actual rolls.

Then there was the jerk would would find out about some rules clarification or new rule that no one else had heard about yet. Then he would play a game with someone, and then wait until sometime in the middle of the game, when it was most disadvantageous to his opponent, to spring the news on him about this new rule that no one else knew about. That one was fixed with a new house rule: If BOTH players don't know about a new rule at the start of a game, then that new rule doesn't come into effect during the game.

As for the ignorant jerk who wanders off when it's your turn to move and shoot, there's a simple way to deal with that: When he wanders off, all your units and vehicles get a few extra inches of movement. And when you shoot, if he still insists on talking to his buddy or looking at the store shelves or whatever, then every single one of your shots automatically hit. And if he's dumb enough to ask you to roll his armor saves for him because he's so busy, well, then the poor sap just had the misfortune of rolling all ones.

Last but certainly not least: YES, SPACE MARINE TERMINATORS ***DO*** GET A 5+ UNVULNERABLE SAVE!!! I DON'T GIVE A CRAP ABOUT HOW IT'S NOT SPECIFICALLY MENTIONED IN THE CODEX'S ARMY LIST ENTRY!!!
****** rules lawyers........

Weavetoucher
08-12-2007, 11:02
For me its the people who don't pay attention , they read the rulebook, the codexes, look at the new models on the shelves, talk to their buddies, watch TV, talk on phone in fact do pretty much anything except focus on whats happening in the flippin game in front of them.. then when they start to lose they want to double check every move, shot save you make as if you are trying to cheat em by having your turn whilst they are in 'fluffy pink fairyland'..... harrumph!

The Guy
08-12-2007, 11:07
Last but certainly not least: YES, SPACE MARINE TERMINATORS ***DO*** GET A 5+ UNVULNERABLE SAVE!!! I DON'T GIVE A CRAP ABOUT HOW IT'S NOT SPECIFICALLY MENTIONED IN THE CODEX'S ARMY LIST ENTRY!!!
****** rules lawyers........

Do people actually do that? :eek:
I would refuse to play against those sort of people...
And the people that really get on my nerves are the bad winners and sore losers.

Mad Doc Grotsnik
08-12-2007, 12:20
Back Seat Gamers.

Thanks to their interference, now I will never know if my opponent had the guile to spot my trap, and manouvre out to it. Oh no, the Back Seat Gamer pointed it out. I mean, it's not like i spent the last three turns carefully getting into position....

Really, really hate that!

Komnenos
08-12-2007, 13:48
People who interrupt the game with either unwanted advice or the much dreaded "you can't do that, it's against the rules" type of scenario. I had this jackass interrupting me every 2 minutes a couple of months ago (while he was already playing another game on the next table I might add) with "that's against the rules", which made me get the rulebook and show him, and my opponent, that disembarking out of a stationary transport and assaulting WAS actually allowed in the rules, as well as various other nonsense he came up with. Plus the guy had the gall to get offended when I told him to shut his mouth as he was neither playing this game, nor did he actually know any of the rules.

That said, another infuriating thing is when the opponent is more focused on what happens on the other tables than the one he is playing at.

People who become rude and indifferent (usually ones with beardy cookie cutter lists) when the game does not go their way, making it a chore to finish.

The 8-9'' movement mode. Plus when you comment on it, some will say that they didn't, move the figures back 3-4'', say "that's where they were," as if they remember the exact spot, then move them another 6-7'' forward, ending up with 11'' moves sometimes.

sqigglett
08-12-2007, 13:59
Most of these have been said earlier, but:

People who when you say they moved a model to far they claim to know precicely where it was before.

People who cheat (obviously.)

There was one guy (a tau player) whos battlesuits had no bases, so he laid them on their backs, i had no problem with this, then, he uses that as an advantage to move them to far, by about 1.5" (the length of a battlesuit) then behold, he actually has their bases in his case and could just ask the staff to borrow some glue (the staff are OK to let you borrow tools, glue etc.)

People who roll dice one at a time. Like the Tau player mentioned above, when he rolled any dice, he did it one at a time, he looked to see the result of one dice and if it was bad, he'd deliberatly knock it with the next dice to try and alter the result, if it was a good result, he'd leave it clear.

Quote by Mad Doc Grotsnik:
Back Seat Gamers.

Thanks to their interference, now I will never know if my opponent had the guile to spot my trap, and manouvre out to it. Oh no, the Back Seat Gamer pointed it out. I mean, it's not like i spent the last three turns carefully getting into position....

Really, really hate that!:End quote

I hate them to.
BTW i only remembred about this thx to Baneboss, and Mad Doc Grotsnik.

I'll post more when i think of them.

Baneboss
08-12-2007, 14:13
Back Seat Gamers.

Really, really hate that!

100% agree. Especially those so called "experienced" buffons who think theyre like 10 times better than you :rolleyes: I never back seat because I know how frustrating it is and when I see such a thing I point it out. It ruins most of the fun. There might be exceptions for new players only.

I also hate people who think after reading codex or rulebook for first time theyre all knowing. They usually back seat or try to correct how you play (even if it doesnt need correcting). They point out things like bike protecting you from instant death, deep strike survive even if the center model lands in 1 inch of my model, battle cannon needs BS roll to hit... I know a guy who after reading rulebook for the first time pointed out that nobody knows how to play including our well known rules lawyers... and he is 23...

Emperor's Avenger
08-12-2007, 14:16
One thing that bugs me is people who can't seem to stay at the table while you're playing. This is typically a problem with multi players games more but really, if you were that uninterested in playing why did you start in the first place.

Stop walking away. I'm sick of looking for you everytime somebody wants you to make a save. The next multiplater game I have is going to have a houserule. If you're not there to roll the save you auto fail it and the wound causes instant death.

I don't mind people walking away. You get free re-rolls.

Onlyhestands
08-12-2007, 14:32
Theirs this kid who walked off during my turn and told me to call him when my turn was over. Jeese sorry for having a bunch of guard infantry, but I was moving and shooting faster than his small army.
Also people who dont even bother to paint 1 model a month. I painted a guard army in a couple months to a decent tt standard. Is it realy that hard to set aside an hour or two a week so everyone else doesn't have to face your grey plastic/pewter army again and again?

Treadhead_1st
08-12-2007, 16:22
Also people who dont even bother to paint 1 model a month. I painted a guard army in a couple months to a decent tt standard. Is it realy that hard to set aside an hour or two a week so everyone else doesn't have to face your grey plastic/pewter army again and again?

See my earlier post.

Yes, it IS quite hard for me to set aside an hour or two a week. I only get a game every so often, and don't have much time for modelling, painting etc.

I like to have all my models painted to a high standard (Marines I'm talking here). I don't see why I should have to paint up my guys to a lesser quality I am not content with just to appease someone who only has to look at them for an hour or so.

RL is a real kicker at times, and bluntly, my degree is more important than my warhammer army - and if an opponent gets offended because I don't have time to paint, then they can just suck it up.

To those who cheat while the opponent is away from the table - is this really wise, as surely it doesn't make you any better than they are, and you might pick up bad habits.

At the store I play at, we if someone wanders away we have a Staffer watch the game, and we do all our moves, shooting etc while the opponent is away. They come back and are like "so, what's happening"...and get told just HOW many saves they have to make - and usually the colour drains from their faces.

++EDIT++
see Onlyhestand's post below.

I did not mean this as a dig at Onlyhestands, but rather sometimes people do have good reasons for not being able to paint up an army at any sort of decent rate. I agree, that people with nothing else to do should have a rate of visible progress on the army. You just need to be careful of generalizations etc.

Onlyhestands
08-12-2007, 16:58
I was making a large generilsation. I can understand if you don't have the tme or something more important(school, work, real life ect.) , but I play people who I know have plenty of time(unemployed highschoolers mostly). I was mostly talking about people who spend all their free time playing video games. Theirs this one kid who has had 5 painted minis, and after playing him for several years none of his army I have not seen a single mini of his besides those 5 painted, and I know for a rfact that he has lots of free time.

Bob5000
08-12-2007, 17:31
Bystanders trying to strike up an in-depth conversation during my game .

Bystanders getting in the way .

Colonel Stagler
08-12-2007, 17:34
My pet hate is small kids, when your trying to have a mature game with one of your mates or someone down at the gaming room, and your happily playing away, and then your suddenly swamped by kids, whos number is legion, all prying for a better view of your game, and making comments like, your guard are soooooo cooool, and picking up models and showin ther mates, or sayin you cant do that cos this that or the other, or send those men round there and do that.
Id rather play my own game thanks.
*phew* rant over, sorry guys
Stagler Out

Preston
08-12-2007, 17:43
one of the reasons why I play at my LGS is because it's not constantly being flooded with kids. But sometimes a family comes in with kids to browse the used book portion of the store.

*shudder* I watch my minis (even the unpainted ones!) like a hawk when they do, and if one of the little tramps even starts to move his hand towards a mini, mine or not, I remind him that it's not his and not to touch it. Or her.

and the kids parents can go **** themselves if they don't like it :D

ServanoTomasin
08-12-2007, 18:47
@ Colonel Stagler: About the swarms of endless kids, read my first post in the post about refusing or leaving games. My mates birthday apoc battle got ruined by them. All of them, wanting to play, most of them didn't know how to play, most didn't have a codex and didn't get stuffed when we and the staff asked the little t***s to get stuffed (obviously, we asked them alittle more politley at the time), and we ended up with instead of the nice 3v.s 2 we ended up with 9vs.9. How abosolutely, posetivly ******* fabulous! I mean, we had enough die (we calculated) for the 5 player, but because of all the little ****** + Mr annoying wanna be inquisitor and young mr ginner (old one is great), we had to buy 2 more sets of die. *******

Back seat gamers - not the friendly ones, the ones who decide that your army MUST die.

Single die rollers. Mainly when I'm using a shooty-shooty guard force, like the time I had 150 guards men hit and wound a 6 man marine command squad. It took a veeeeery long time to sort that all out

Back to Mr inquisitor wanna be, inventing rules, or deciding that the official rules aren't good enough so he'll modify them. He deicided that 1 inquisitor wth 2 sages could have 22 torpedo/missiles, and that they could all be different - so I had melta, lance and psycke-out.

Rules lawyers, or Rules lawyers and inventors. One of my mates was like this, but gave up after he said some thing which contradicted it's self, got into a huff, punched a rules lawyer who pointed out the contradictions and got suspended from school.

And there's plenty of things I can put, but there's so little time....

kane40k
08-12-2007, 19:07
people like my opponent today who dispite having 3 basic space mariens left swore blind he would out-combat 30 kroot!?!?!?!?! i know it is possible but highly unlikly! and its not like he's even joking!He jus has it in his head that he can never loose!the arrogance i quite often face.... its unbelievable!

DartzIRL
08-12-2007, 19:28
Arrogance is a common thing... Usually from SpaceMarine/Tau players...

Space Marine players...Usually before they get annihilated in the second turn by a splash of ordnance templates. They just don't have the numbers to deal with it.

Tau players are somewhat justified... I haven't even read their codex yet... but they do everything to avoid an assault. I'm a Guard player, so I know a thing or two about avoiding the chainsaws (Difficult terrain ftw), but Tau players take it to a new extreme, insisitng on difficult terrain tests for one inch steps....or that base contact thing from that other thread that got locked. I was never that bad for it

Can I add first turn chargers to this list? Or those people who, when they deploy first, deploy some ****** unit right in the leading corner of their deployment Zone. And Due to the eighteen inch rule, you're practically forced off the board? (For small store tables)?

hellhound017
08-12-2007, 19:58
Hmmm. Ben shuffle. at the store which I normaly go to there was a Ben like that. "Moria Goblins. I have to move half if I want to shoot, right?" "Yep" He then moves the models four inches forward. "But I thought Moria Goblins had movement 6""
As well as that, there are Lotr and 40k beginners every sunday before core club, and thing like elven lords moving 14" and rainbow orks get on my nerves. And people hitting each other's models (and each other) with tape measures. And me
Finally, we get the occasinal random chavstrike. Stinkbombs, random insults, and a party popper once. The worst case if when some chavs were "removed" from the shop. Minutes later a bag of rubbish sails through the open door "it was summer" and hits the fantasy intro table. The silence is broken with a quiet "Well, it was quite a good shot"

graveaccomplice
08-12-2007, 20:28
I was making a large generilsation. I can understand if you don't have the tme or something more important(school, work, real life ect.) , but I play people who I know have plenty of time(unemployed highschoolers mostly). I was mostly talking about people who spend all their free time playing video games. Theirs this one kid who has had 5 painted minis, and after playing him for several years none of his army I have not seen a single mini of his besides those 5 painted, and I know for a rfact that he has lots of free time.

And it's his free time. If he finds something else he enjoys, so be it. At least he's not bringing in 2 liter bottles as a carnifex. :)

Shorty McShortshort
08-12-2007, 20:42
I was playing one game against this really anoying guy and he desided to leave half-way through a game, to get some food or something, and left his friend to play while he was gone! unfortunately for him when he returend his favourite unit had 'disapeared'.
I was playing against this kid once who had not really played before, and it was turning out to be a fun even game. Enter the backseat gamer. The most annoying powergamer in the world desides to play the game for him, literally, the only thing he wasnt doing was rolling the dice! It turned out to be the most boring game I have ever played, and I lost.
One time me and my good friend were having a casual game on a sunday at our local gw, he was using guard and had his brand new basillisk that was painted quite well, as we were playing this really anoying 'observer' started picking up our models and just dumping them back on the table! he then desides to 'look' at my friends basillisk and then drops it on the floor! the basillisk was ruined, the canopy was wreaked and the barrel had snaped. The grudge remains until this day. GRRRRR!!!!:mad:

mnbrit
08-12-2007, 22:30
there are 3 things that really get my goat.
super powergamers who pick on kids who might not quite know all the rules yet, there kids and new to the hobby, give them a break, help them out, let them win a game or 2, we were all young once. this one guy who game to our local game store used to actually boast about making kids cry at the gaming table, word got around and he was "blacklisted"

suprise special rule nazis, y'know what not everyone has the resources to buy and memorize every codex and WD rule in existence, so if i ask if those very special looking minis on the table have any special rules dont tell me "i'll find out" it might start a fight, be a sport and just let me know.

people who have mysterious appearing wargear, tell me how can a SM captain who has been making his power armour save for 3 turns and failed one loosing a wound, all of a sudded have an invulnerable save when i lascannon him to death.

Grand Warlord
08-12-2007, 22:39
For me its when people bring more than their army lists says ... if its 1700 vs 1700 dont bring 2000.

rule lawyers a little but I am one, but I Dont think i go too crazy about the rules especially newer players.

SharpSilver
09-12-2007, 01:30
Finally, we get the occasinal random chavstrike. Stinkbombs, random insults, and a party popper once. The worst case if when some chavs were "removed" from the shop. Minutes later a bag of rubbish sails through the open door "it was summer" and hits the fantasy intro table. The silence is broken with a quiet "Well, it was quite a good shot"

Chavs are the the scum of England, sadly.

Thank god my LGS is upstairs in a shopping mall off the direct centre of the mall, helps avoid things like this, must suck bad.

Bet the Chav's get lots of respect for sticking their hands into bins just to do that.

Sister_Sin
09-12-2007, 01:50
Rudeness. Almost everything else I simply tune out and ignore. I try hard not to sweat the small stuff on the whole.

Personal smack talk I guess, which fits into the rudeness. A bit of banter back and forth from an army perspective is fine, sometimes fun. Making it personal is not.

Guys who try to hit on me. I'm a gal and I game and that does NOT mean I'm hunting a date or desperate.

Sister Sin

AdamSouza
09-12-2007, 02:24
Measure Once, Move the Whole Squad They measure from the lead model and suddenly a squad that was spread out over 8 inches is now all huddled tightly in a mass around the first model moved. The last model you moved shouldn't even have gotten as far as where the first model you moved started!! How the Hell did he catch up ?

Trash Talkers Trash talking is a bit fun between close friends, but if this is the first time I ever met you in a gaming store, or at least the first time we've ever played together, you don't have the cred needed to get away with trash talking me. It's also amazing that no one near my 5'10" 300lb has ever attempted it. It's usually someone just hovering around 5ft 110lbs soaking wet that seems oblivious to the fact that if they actually provoke me they don't stand a snotlings chance in a Shock Attack Gun.

Apparently Matchmatically Challenged
* Someone who has been playing the game for over a year and still checks the to hit chart because 7-BS is too tough of a concept for them.
* The inability to handle simple multiplication (10 boyz at 2 attacks equals 20 attacks) and will add the totals up in their palm 2 dice at a time.

Dues Ex Machina Anyone who blatantly sets up terrain in a way that will deliberately benefit themselves or hinder you.
Played under a house rule that you took turns setting up terrain untill one player stopped and then the other player would get to place one last piece of terrain. A player with a plethora of long range weaponry would set up the single smalles piece of terrain he could find on the outseide edge of the table and then decide he was finished placing terrain, which would ensure an almost no cover and that his army could wipe mine from his deployment zone.

spammy86
09-12-2007, 03:12
when someone comes up to your table while your playing and asks the most infuriating question ever...

"whos winning?"

argh!

Winimperial
09-12-2007, 03:18
Trash Talkers get on my nerves. I remember a year ago, when I was 14, in a GW store this guy who must have been in his late thirties walks right looking for a game saying "who's butt am I gonna kick today?," In a loud overly obnoxious tone. Now I was just starting the hobby, and had probably only played around 5 games in total at this point. This guy was apparently a regular, since the employees, seemed to know him. Although when he asked for a game, no one seemed to want to play him. I said that I was pretty new to the game, but I'd play him if he wanted and he said, "That's OK, I'll still kick your butt anyway."

So, we get started and he pulls out his 1200 points of Thousand Sons, against my 1200 points of Imperial Guard. I can't remember exactly, but his army was mostly composed of Thousand Sons Chaos Space Marines, Horrors, a Predator and maybe a rhino or two.

All throughout the deployment phase, he seemed to be trying to give me "tips" of where to deploy. It just so happened that these "places" where areas in which they were right in his units' LOS. I ignored all these "tips" and tried to continue. He also seemed fairly annoyed and made a few obnoxious comments on how I painted eyes on all my guardsmen.

Did I mention he also had his massively overweight girlfriend with him, who was sitting at the table edge obnoxiously cheering him on?

Being, a newbie I had deployed all my forces in a static gun line with minimal cover, not knowing a whole lot of alternative tactics for IG.

I don't remember much, but he attempted to charge into my guardsmen with his load of Horrors out of cover. His Marine squads also began to move out of cover behind the Horrors with a rhino or two. He had a predator moving up his flank. He kept telling me how much of an "ass-kicking I was in for."

I just ignored him through a lot of his obnoxious chatter. With my IG, I just stood and shot at his horrors with my 80 or so guardsmen armed with plasma guns, HBs, and Lascannons. By the end of the second turn or so, Almost all of his Horrors had been gunned down before they even reached me with some lucky dice rolls. His predator had taken out one of my Lehman Russes in the first turn, but it had been destroyed by my second Leman Russ in the second turn. My basilisk had done some serious damage to one of his Marine squads. I had also lost some guardsmen as a result of some shooting by his Marine squads. Around this time he only really had a handful of Marines left and his rhinos.

To say the least, he was pissed off. He threw a massive ten minute tantrum about how the "chaos codex sucks" and how "Imperial Guard are gay and are overpowered" and about how I "sucked at 40k." This coming out of a 39 or so year old man, saying this to a 14 year old, by the way. What 39 year old man call something "gay?"

So, then with the handful of Marines he had left, He got himself into an open shootout with my 60 guardsmen and my basilisk I had left by this time. Most of them were gunned down, and before we could even finish up the game, he threw all of his models into his case, called me an "*******," and left with his girlfriend waddling behind.

I only saw him once or twice in the store after that, throwing similar fits with other players. I haven't seen him since, now that I usually visit another store, but my friend told me he was eventually banned after throwing some metal chaos models across the board in a tantrum, which came inches close from nailing his opponent right in the eye.

Joewrightgm
09-12-2007, 03:32
Most obnoxious thing whilst playing:

Gamestore kid playing a game, and tugging at my jacket to get me to answer "how far does a space marine move?", whist playing my own game.

Also, a practice in the Fightclub called "baby seal clubbing", which is exactly like what it is: Veterans with 'competitive' style builds (nidzilla, Assault Cannon death, etc) fighting some kid in middle school with a tenuous grasp of the core rules, let alone his own army, which is typically an odd smattering of stuff he got for birthday/christmas/allowance.

da big mek
09-12-2007, 03:54
i 100% agree with everyone who mentioned gamestore kids especially the ones who dont even play but just watch and act like theyve seen it all
at my local gamestore my best friend and i are the young kids (we're high school junior and senior respectively)
my point here is that we earned the respect of the older guys mainly by geting the stuffing kicked out of us several times then eventually learning the game and our armies through trial and error
then out of no where these middle school kids show but and do the classic routine (picking up my models, asking my friend ruels questions in the middle of a game)
it comes to a head when one of them picks up my pride and joy( a tricked out warboss on a bike) out of a CC without my permission or knowledge for that matter and proceeds to drop it on the floor
not only is my boss dismounted (hes not supposed to come off) him and his bike are in a dozen pieces on the floor
long story short my friend had to walk me out to cool off before i got us both banned from the store
to top it all off my unit of burna boyz that the middle schoolers were so interested was done 3 boyz when a packed them back up

SINLGE MOST INFURIATING MOMENT EVER !!!

Tourge
09-12-2007, 04:53
i 100% agree with everyone who mentioned gamestore kids especially the ones who dont even play but just watch and act like theyve seen it all
at my local gamestore my best friend and i are the young kids (we're high school junior and senior respectively)
my point here is that we earned the respect of the older guys mainly by geting the stuffing kicked out of us several times then eventually learning the game and our armies through trial and error
then out of no where these middle school kids show but and do the classic routine (picking up my models, asking my friend ruels questions in the middle of a game)
it comes to a head when one of them picks up my pride and joy( a tricked out warboss on a bike) out of a CC without my permission or knowledge for that matter and proceeds to drop it on the floor
not only is my boss dismounted (hes not supposed to come off) him and his bike are in a dozen pieces on the floor
long story short my friend had to walk me out to cool off before i got us both banned from the store
to top it all off my unit of burna boyz that the middle schoolers were so interested was done 3 boyz when a packed them back up

SINLGE MOST INFURIATING MOMENT EVER !!!

I would of killed them if I was you. :evilgrin:

da big mek
09-12-2007, 06:49
my friend is bigger than i am so he restrained me from doing anything rash and stupid

runepriest
09-12-2007, 07:16
For me, the most infuriating thing that has ever happened was one player, who had an amazing record of 0 wins, massive losses, and no ties, coming over to my table. He then proceeded, for 3 turns, to criticize my strategy on where I moved my Space Wolves.

I had enough of his "expert opinion", and said to him in a very loud voice "I'm sorry, tell me again how many games you have won?!?!?!?!" When I heard no reply from him, I simply stated to him that until he has won more games than he has either lost, or drawn, he is in no position to offer tactical advice to anyone.

'Nuff said.

Runepriest

The UnNamed One
09-12-2007, 07:38
The most infuriating thing i have come across in a game is a person who didnt want to admit he was wrong and play by the correct rules, when he got the rules wrong.
e.g.
using the fantasy rules for fleeing from combat
in a combat with assualt marines, a chaplain and tactical marines, the wounds must be split equally between the units

another case with the same player was when i had a chaos biker with meltagun, he refused to let me use the meltagun because the chaos marine wasnt holding it (it was mounted on the bike), he got a little annoyed when i used meltabombs to destroy his chaos predator as quote "I cant see how a biker is able to meltabomb a tank".
Also when he got into a tight spot, with his land speeder squadron about to die, i rolled to hit, i then rolled to penetrate, i then said "7 penetrating hits" he replied with "what? you havnt even rolled to penetrate" i reply with "yes i have, i rolled just then" his reply is "No, those were your roles to hit", i just left it at that, i saw no point in arguing.
This player got annoyed over multiple things in the game, he probably didnt like getting told he was wrong by somone 1/3 his age.
Rant over.

~ The UnNamed One

Freefire
09-12-2007, 08:02
I was playing a game with a buddy at my local GW and he put down the flamer template to see if he could hit me and it was just out of range. The unit hadnt moved in the movement phase and he hadnt fired anything else so he decides to move them now. I say he measured out the shot so its the shooting phase. We can both be a little competitive with each other so we try to play as accurately as possible. Well he declares "SHENNANIGANS" on me for saying that, which you yell when someone tries to cheat. Now when you say that out loud at my local GW, everyone else at the store stops what there doing and starts yelling "SHENNANIGANS!" at you. Thats a little embarrasing but it was annoying cause I wasnt cheating. Plus you cant really shennanigans back at a false shennanigan. Silly but not really infuriating.

For infuriating there was a day of 500 pts staff challenge. Bring 500 pts and challenge a staff member. There was one older guy who is there every time I go so I assume hes a regular. The store wasnt really busy so this guy and a couple other people who were hanging out gather round to see this epic clash. Well this guy starts saying that first he can easily beat my army with some kinda tricked out chaos list. Then he goes into telling me how im just gonna lose and badly. The staff member grabbed stuff from the display case so it was basically my Guard vs a nurgle lord with plague jets and other stuff and a couple marines. I lost but it was close (I didnt have anything that could hurt the lord in CC but killed everything else). I was paying attention to my game and not that guy. But then my buddy is up next and as they start playing this guy starts up again about how he can make such awesome lists and how now my buddy's army is gonna get creamed. Its like he was trying to suck the soul of our game. Finally I just yelled "Enough! We're just trying to have some fun and you're killing it!" He seemed taken aback and then kinda wandered off to some other part of the store. The staff guy told me later that the guy tended to be kinda bitter anyway.

dblaz3r
09-12-2007, 08:02
The amount of gloating my brother does or his slow play. But a bit of sibling rivalry never goes astray:)

The UnNamed One
09-12-2007, 08:11
I have a similiar thing going with a mate of mine dblaz3r, i have never lost to him, and every time he kills a single Khorne Bexerker, he makes coments like "oh yeh, i rock", or making a fist and whispering "yes". when a squad dies its victory dancing.

EDIT: I also get annoyed at those people who come up to your game and ask "Whos winning?"

Komnenos
09-12-2007, 10:24
you don't have the cred needed to get away with trash talking me. It's also amazing that no one near my 5'10" 300lb has ever attempted it.

Here we go...

Filthy O'Bedlam
09-12-2007, 11:05
Being told at a GW store that my models were not fully painted because their bases weren't green (the colour of the battle-mat). The employee came over and started taking my models off the table without even saying anything. When I proceeded to ask him wtf was going on he dropped that little nugget on me.

Cheers, Filthy

Pooky
09-12-2007, 13:06
A few of the pet things I hate:

1) When you're loosing some little brat comes over and says "You're gonna loose". It's not that he says it as a matter of fact, but he says it in a really mocking way.
2) People who when they start to loose get really snide or just don't care so they loose interest
3) When people change their minds about what we decided/ agreed upon at the start of the game (eg, when we decided that units/ vehicles can't be seen BEHIND area terran then saying that they can be during their turn of shooting)
4) People who tell you what you should do during the game
5) People (mainly kids) who come along and just pick up your models without asking

AND the one moment that got me most furious...

Once when I was playing I had a Rhino in the dead pile. Someones kid came along and started touching the strom bolter. He then twisted it off the model then laughed and ran off. When I saw him twist it off I was wondering if he was going to apologise (if he did then I would be fine with it, it is just a model after all). But the fact he laughed and ran off got me a little fired up. I didn't say anything though, I didn't want to be thrown out of the store!

Mad Doc Grotsnik
09-12-2007, 13:45
100% agree. Especially those so called "experienced" buffons who think theyre like 10 times better than you :rolleyes: I never back seat because I know how frustrating it is and when I see such a thing I point it out. It ruins most of the fun. There might be exceptions for new players only.

I also hate people who think after reading codex or rulebook for first time theyre all knowing. They usually back seat or try to correct how you play (even if it doesnt need correcting). They point out things like bike protecting you from instant death, deep strike survive even if the center model lands in 1 inch of my model, battle cannon needs BS roll to hit... I know a guy who after reading rulebook for the first time pointed out that nobody knows how to play including our well known rules lawyers... and he is 23...

What worse is in Warhammer. Dunno how many of you guys play it, but let me tell you, careful and considered selection of Magic Items can offer your opponent quite the unpleasant surprise. Indeed, there are Spells and other Items which force me to reveal what a specific character/unit is toting, so when the Backseat gamer has had a snide shufty at my list, and then announces what I have to my opponent, I find it completely acceptable to punch them in the throat!

After that, my biggest annoyance is undecisive gamers. You see, when I declare a charge, I stick to it, even if I suddenly spot a trap, and know that unit is going to get royally mooshed. The time for spotting such has passed, the charge is declared, my troops are committed. Yet some opponents will declare their charges, then you get the irritating 'no, wait...' whilst he re-examines things, and changes his mind. Very, very annoying. Perhaps it's a bit of sportsmanship mixed in with my otherwise competitive nature, but come on, it's really annoying. Having said that though, if my opponent misses his Magic Phase, and goes straight to Shooting, I will point it out, mainly because I do this all the time (what, I'm old school, back when Magic came last in a turn!)

Grand Master Raziel
09-12-2007, 13:47
Well, when you get right down to it, the GW is a toy store. It's just that the toys appeal to a broad range of ages. Unfortunately, you get a broad range of maturity levels along with it.

This isn't really something that happened during a game, but one thing that bugs me when I go to game is this one kid who shows up a lot at the GW that I frequent. The thing about the kid is that he's overindulged by his parents. They keep on buying him whole armies when he asks for them. Consequently, he's got a lot of badly painted armies that he doesn't really know how to use very well, because he hasn't stuck with any one long enough to master it.

Eldartank
09-12-2007, 18:39
Do people actually do that? :eek:
I would refuse to play against those sort of people...
And the people that really get on my nerves are the bad winners and sore losers.

I once dealt with one person who tried to tell me that my Terminators did not get thier 5+ unvulnerable save. One other person did try to argue that when we were discussing the codex. But my main pet beeve on that subject is people who unscrupulously or unfairly try to take advantage of a misprint or error in the rules in order to screw you over or give himself an unfair advantage.

And I don't think anyone likes a bad winner or sore loser.... ;)

Eldartank
09-12-2007, 19:09
I UTTERLY DESPISE "backseat gamers." Not just in 40k, but in any game. When I'm playing a game, I am playing a game againat my opponent, ONLY my opponent, and NO ONE BUT my opponent. Period. Not even open for discussion.

Now, I have no problem with playing against some new first-time player, and his friend (or sibling or parent) is helping him out. But other than that, I wont tolerate backseat gamers. First offense, I will politely ask the backseat gamer to stop interfering. If he continues, I will tell the backseat gamer clearly and bluntly that I am NOT playing him, I am playing my opponent, and he needs to butt out. And if he tries to interfere further, I very rudely and loudly interrupt him and cut him off and refuse to let him get a word in edgewise.
Believe me, there is no amount of rudeness or obnoxiousness a backseat gamer can possibly do to me that I can't do to him even worse.

And no, I am not a sore loser. If my opponent stomps me in a game (which happens frequently), I congratulate him and say the game was fun. Because it really is fun, even if you lose, so long as you don't have to deal with the various pet peeves mentioned in this thread.

The UnNamed One
10-12-2007, 07:27
I was playing a game of Dawn of War a wile ago, and there was a guy observing telling my oppenent what i had, and pointing out traps etc.
I wanted to to smash him in the face, hard.
hmmmm *ponders the idea of virtual punching*

Ronin_eX
10-12-2007, 10:22
Going over the points limit is a pretty big one. I used to be fine within about 10-20 points but it got so bad that I eventually decided that no one would go even one point over (after playing a few games where people go 500 points over the limit you tend to become anal about that kind of thing).

People who don't read the rules or their codex. Again after facing Tau suits that could move 24" a turn (12" in the movement and 12" in the assault), Death Company that moved 12" a turn (without jump packs) and fast hammerheads (they had that piece of equipment that counted their shooting as if they were fast). Among many others it got bad enough that I became a bit of a rules nazi. If something seems suspect I will always ask for a citation now (and "I heard it on a message board" wont cut it for me).

Other than those two I could care less and I'm pretty easygoing during games.

Pooky
11-12-2007, 00:23
Going over the points limit is a pretty big one. I used to be fine within about 10-20 points but it got so bad that I eventually decided that no one would go even one point over (after playing a few games where people go 500 points over the limit you tend to become anal about that kind of thing).

People who don't read the rules or their codex. Again after facing Tau suits that could move 24" a turn (12" in the movement and 12" in the assault), Death Company that moved 12" a turn (without jump packs) and fast hammerheads (they had that piece of equipment that counted their shooting as if they were fast). Among many others it got bad enough that I became a bit of a rules nazi. If something seems suspect I will always ask for a citation now (and "I heard it on a message board" wont cut it for me).

Other than those two I could care less and I'm pretty easygoing during games.

On a similar note a friend of mine wanted to play CSM. He then asked me if he could take land speeders in his army. Quite simply, I said if it's in his codex he could take it (so obviously not). He then said I was a rules nazi for not letting him take something that was not in his codex. :wtf: It was about then I didn't want to play against him.

Dakwan
11-12-2007, 02:16
One thing i really dislike is people eating during a game. If you eat a banana or something thats fine but i REALLY dont want to watch you power through a bag of doritos then procede to get that fake cheese crap on everything.. this includes my friends since we generally play at my place to avoid having to go to a mall (which is the only place there is a gw around here).. my gaming board has stained rings all over it where they would put their drink down.. blah

Also lack of personal hygiene.. i really get annoyed and won't enjoy myself if someone has really bad b.o. ... if you just came from the gym or didnt have time to go home and shower or even have a gland problem like a friend of mine thats fine.. but if you come in with the same filthy clothes and smelling terrible like always i won't want to play you. Harsh yes but i'm mildly obsessive about personal cleanliness...

And besides that i guess people who don't understand that you don't have all the time/money in the world to spend on warhammer. I'm sorry that my vehicle doesn't have the right gun on it but i'd rather eat this week than spend another 50-100 dollars (it hurts to be a canadian sometimes) on a new tank. Tournaments is one thing but in a friendly game if i tell you at the start of the game the few things in my army that arn't wysiwyg why does it matter? atleast i dont proxy anything and my army is (mostly ;)) painted.

I don't really mind unpainted minis... preferably primed because its just so easy and it helps bring on the detail but i don't really care... the guy i normally play with loathes painting with all his heart but loves the game so i don't mind his army getting painted at the rate of one mini per 6 months... but i do understand how people don't like it. It definatly makes you more imersed in the game if you have two fully painted armies duking it out.

vulcan raven
11-12-2007, 03:25
people that do not know when they are involved in the situation, along with those who are involved but do not know how to be gracious enough to be polite.

i support the 3 colour rule, but it needs to be practical. i.e. a marine does not paint himself entirely pink with purple and blue polka dots, gun barrels are a different colour, eye lenses are not 'painted' by a marine, exhaust vents, insignia and the like are different.

But i tread that line very closely, having a dark angel army with the green models with blood red + red ink red guns and picked out shiny bits, no insignia as i am not about to do the 100+ shoulder pads or fork out for the transfers. as for bases, they will never go with all the tables you play on, (mine are black with a regal blue bevel) so paint them up respecably and be done with it.

as for the kids and idiots that loiter in the shops, never had that problem since i live too far from a GW to be practical and having 3 friends that are into the hobby aswell over the past 5 years.

dice snatching was stamped out if it ever was part of my gaming group, always rolled and sorted them out, misses went to one side so as not to be confused and hits rolled again. i like the shoe box idea though.

but if anyone i don't know reaches for my mini's or anyone else's i will ask them 'are they yours?' and reporach them appropriately.

but the most infuriating thing that i encounter while playing is models being knocked over by dice or moved in any way whilst gaming is in progress. led to the spawning of house rule #1 - for every wound that a knocked over model has you lose one model of your own choice.

Drakon
11-12-2007, 04:18
The amount of gloating my brother does or his slow play. But a bit of sibling rivalry never goes astray:)

Is that right :skull:

The thing that annoys me the most is when you are winning and the other person gives up even when you have one more turn to go.

Just because they have one model left and you have two thirds of your army doesnt mean that the games should end :D.

Doctor Thunder
11-12-2007, 04:58
Definitely the worst is when some onlooker appoints himself personal rules judge for the table I'm playing on. I wouldn't mind it so much except that they're always wrong!
It's annoying enough to have to look up a rule to correct my opponant, but having to look it up to correct some guy who I'm not even playing just makes me want to gnaw my own lips off.

ehlijen
11-12-2007, 05:55
Invisible heavy stubbers on tanks. It's just the most common example of wysiwig breach, but also the one that grates my nerves the most. Especially when I'm not told until it starts spraying.
And the wierdest thing is that all guard tanks actually come with the things on the sprues...

I am fairly open to count-as, provided that it is used to allow for cool conversions or as a stand in for a model you haven't finished yet/can't find in your box for some reason, or to beef up a players army to the other players pointlimit.
But counting official models as something else that they are clearly not, or worse yet, counting something as present even though it isn't (see heavy stubbers above), is too much for me.
And if you say I shouldn't blame you for not being able to afford the right model I say: No one forces you to buy anything. I'm just asking that when you put GW models on the table, they actually look like what you are using in your list.

(This is a random example, not referring to any existing people)
You have flamers, nice. You rather want plasma guns, nothing wrong with that. You can't afford plasma gun models, drats. But why does that suddenly mean flamers are so bad that you have to pretend (and make me pretend) that they are plasma guns?

dblaz3r
11-12-2007, 05:59
Is that right :skull:

The thing that annoys me the most is when you are winning and the other person gives up even when you have one more turn to go.

Just because they have one model left and you have two thirds of your army doesnt mean that the games should end :D.

And the point of that one trooper jump packing all over the table to avoid you or off the table is what?:D

Drakon
11-12-2007, 07:04
And the point of that one trooper jump packing all over the table to avoid you or off the table is what?:D

The point is you should take the good with the bad in the game and never quit. :p

What is the point in playing a game when you dont finish it regardless of the outcome.

Plus if some little kid grabbed my toys like mentioned so many times above i dont care i would tell them to put it down and not touch. That would iretate the hell out of me.

But to keep the game going hard you need to keep the kids interested as they will be the future gamers.

Chaoschrist
11-12-2007, 08:39
It really annoys me when people have to look stats up in their codex. Or for that matter in some elses codex because they don't even own one.

This guy I play against sometimes doesn't know the rules very well, though he plays 3 to 4 games a week (as opposed to me playing once a month) and still expects me to know it. "Well you're into 40k for a longer period then me." is his argument.

I admit I'm not an expert on rules so stuff like Close combat results and fall back will sometimes need a rulebook at hand.

But given that some rules like that need some figuring out during a game, the other guy having to look up stats (and when you've rolled for wounds and what not, he takes out his armylist and it's like; "I've got upgrade XYZ so my Toughness is higher so you don't wound me on 4+" So there we go rolling again. Having to ask your opponent 3 times if he is sure he does not have any modifications on his models i'm attacking and he has to look up his codex it'll be a 6 hour game and we have to quit and not finish because the shop is closing up and we just came to turn 3.

I tend to have a printed out list made by armybuilder and small rulessheets w/ the tables for wounding and the like at hand so checking up my stuff goes relatively fast.

Last game the most obvious thing happened... he as a marine player charged my Thousand sons squad. He rolled a 3 to wound and asked "did I make it". As a marine player I'd expect you know that S4 on a marine will be a 4+ at least (unless it's nurgle, but then even 5+, never a 3+!!!) Or something like a meltagun; do i roll 2d6 to wound? I can understand that if you're new, you'll mess up these rules, but if you're playing a few games a week...

And of course the discussions about what is cover what's not. If we've agreed to it, we both should know, and if I fire a plasmagun and you don't get an armor save and remove the model don't come whining in the next turn and state "hey didn't I have a cover save". I'm laid back and tell the guy to roll a die to see if he'd make it. But after a load of casualties I think you should know better and have learned from your mistake.

ehlijen
11-12-2007, 08:39
As Drakon said, don't quit unless time is a factor. Agreeing to a game is a verbal contract to play it to the end and to try and have fun.

Why would you care about the last trooper? Because he might do something amazing. Last man standing is where half the funny stories on these boards come from.

DartzIRL
11-12-2007, 09:30
I haven't played a full game in two years, and never quite got to grips with my Chaos' special rules. I think I had maybe ten games with the entire army. It takes time to learn an army and their stats, besides, isn't that what the codex is for.

Codex's themselves bug me with their layouts, because it can take time to find things you're looking for. Datasheets would be helpful, that's a good idea man. I must do that.

WYSIWIG isn't always implementable in real life. The Heavy Stubbers and Stormbolters on imperial tanks have a nasty tendancy to break off in the box. The mounts aren't that strong, though they got better a while back. Look at the cupola, and you'll usually see the remnants of something there. If it's painted over, call them on it, if it isn't, give it to 'em.

People don't use common sense...which surprises the hell out of me.

srg.cutter
11-12-2007, 10:31

too true seriously it gets on my nerves i know a guy whos been playing for three years and has never even touched a paint brush

alphastealer
11-12-2007, 11:35
I get annoyed when guys ask me if they can roll their D6 fleet roll in the movement phase and not later in the shoting phase, where it should happen.

For those who do it, I am wise to you. For those who have no idea what I mean let me explain.

Say you are sittng with a marine tactical squad out in the open, your opponent wishes to move his haumagaunts out of cover 21 away with the view of trying to assault you.

He asks you if he can roll his fleet during the movement phase. This just gives him the advantage. If he rolls a 1-2 he will just reposition them in the cover and wait it out that turn, not wanting them to be caught short of assault out in the open for you to rapid fire his ass the next turn. If however he rolls a 4-6 he will move them out straight towards you, knowing he will get be in 12 assault range.

I have caught a few guys doing it recently and it ticks me off. When I call them on it, they look all hurt an innocent. Stop it! It is a scummy tactic. Just decide weather you will take the risk or not.

Komnenos
11-12-2007, 12:10
I find this annoying as well, since some of the people who do that also ignore terrain completely, claiming fleet movement.

Pooky
11-12-2007, 13:03
I get annoyed when guys ask me if they can roll their D6 fleet roll in the movement phase and not later in the shoting phase, where it should happen.

For those who do it, I am wise to you. For those who have no idea what I mean let me explain.

Say you are sittng with a marine tactical squad out in the open, your opponent wishes to move his haumagaunts out of cover 21 away with the view of trying to assault you.

He asks you if he can roll his fleet during the movement phase. This just gives him the advantage. If he rolls a 1-2 he will just reposition them in the cover and wait it out that turn, not wanting them to be caught short of assault out in the open for you to rapid fire his ass the next turn. If however he rolls a 4-6 he will move them out straight towards you, knowing he will get be in 12 assault range.

I have caught a few guys doing it recently and it ticks me off. When I call them on it, they look all hurt an innocent. Stop it! It is a scummy tactic. Just decide weather you will take the risk or not.

OMFG! I never thought of that! That is messed up! I just thought they wanted to do it to make the game quicker! Oh man... That is not cool! :mad:

Although I always was a little suspect when they moved and FoF separately. They could always add (by "accident") an extra inch to both those moves hence adding 2" to their total move.

But again, that is just sneaky to see if they are in assault range or not... Damn!

Flatline
11-12-2007, 13:19
The thing that annoys me most about our gaming group is the bloke who never, ever has an army list. This is for a game where at least half of the senarios require you to add up victory points! I have also been caught out a couple of times. We normally play WYSIWYG and any discrepancies have to be pointed out when the unit is deployed. Well this particular player has had models suddenly sprout powerfists in CC and other such things. When questioned he "forgot to say" and of course we can't look at his list!

Oh and he never knows how many models it takes to phase out his Necrons. We have to ask when we think we are close and then do the maths to work it out.

It's got to the point where I avoid playing him when I can.

Scragglefoot
11-12-2007, 13:19
in my group of friends we do fleet in the movement phase as it speeds it up aspec when ya have 20 horemagants charging forward :p

we never had any prob with people changing there minds it can also mess you up as well you charge towards an enemy then shoot them with a diferent unit and wipe them out or kill enough so you cant reach but as a nid player im charging at ya anyway makes no difference :D

Scragglefoot

Doctor Thunder
11-12-2007, 15:00

For those who do it, I am wise to you.
I always roll for fleet in the movement phase, but not for the reason you propose.
I do it because I have 120 hormagaunts, and moving them twice in each movement phase can easily add an hour onto a game. Since I play in a lot of tournaments, I don't have time to move them all twice each turn. Heck, sometimes I even ask my opponant to help me move them, and we still struggle to finish on time.

Democratus
11-12-2007, 17:06
I always roll for fleet in the movement phase, but not for the reason you propose.
I do it because I have 120 hormagaunts, and moving them twice in each movement phase can easily add an hour onto a game. Since I play in a lot of tournaments, I don't have time to move them all twice each turn. Heck, sometimes I even ask my opponant to help me move them, and we still struggle to finish on time.

That's just a matter of practice. One of my regular opponents has a 180 model Tyranid army and he never takes more than 10 minutes for a turn despite moving his models during the movement phase and shooting phase separately.

If a player can't play by the rules and in a reasonable timeframe then they should consider changing their army. It's rude to an opponent to constantly bring an army that is too much to handle.

lack0fbettername
11-12-2007, 17:59
My Biggest Think is quiting a game.

A while back i addoped the policy that i was going to agree with everything my oppoent did. (this came after jervis wrote an actualy decent artical about it in WD). If my oppoent wants to play "Snatch & Grab" with his dice, i let it go. If he says hit tank is hulled down and its obviously not, i let it go. I spend (Probabaly Too) much time on this hobhby/game aready, im decided im not about waist more arguing about trivial details with people.

So i just agree with everything everyone says, even if i AND/OR they know its flat out cheating.

As Such im a pretty tollerent of everything and try to play all my games as "friendly" games. I try to even point out my oppenents mistakes if they make em. "Before you move that charge, did you want to shoot that meltagun at my tank?" type of thing.

All this being Said; i cant stand people who quit a game early. Your wife calls & your kid just broke his leg or something fine. But that "Man i cant win this, your first 2 turns shooting were just too devistating, knocking out my warboss and hit nobz, good game."

No, short of some emergency i belive you should never quit a game.

Doctor Thunder
11-12-2007, 19:05
That's just a matter of practice. One of my regular opponents has a 180 model Tyranid army and he never takes more than 10 minutes for a turn despite moving his models during the movement phase and shooting phase separately.

If a player can't play by the rules and in a reasonable timeframe then they should consider changing their army. It's rude to an opponent to constantly bring an army that is too much to handle.
Meh.

No one I've ever played has had a problem with me rolling for fleet in the movement phase, so I don't think it's rude at all.

Sekhmet
11-12-2007, 19:19
Meh.

No one I've ever played has had a problem with me rolling for fleet in the movement phase, so I don't think it's rude at all.

Rolling for fleet in the movement phase is cheating. It allows you to see how far you fleet before moving other units in your army.

Doctor Thunder
11-12-2007, 19:56
Rolling for fleet in the movement phase is cheating. It allows you to see how far you fleet before moving other units in your army.

I don't think it is, and the people I play don't think it is, so it isn't.
If I ever play someone who doesn't like it, I won't. I always ask when the game starts, so you could consider it a house rule.

In the meantime, I'm not worried what someone online thinks about it.

Skyth
11-12-2007, 20:06
As it is technically against the rules, I always ask if I can fleet with my move. If they say no, I don't argue or think any worse of them.

It's biggest use is just to speed up the game when you're playing a horde army.

FrankManic
11-12-2007, 20:37
In a crowded GW when you're 18 stone, this can be an issue.

Is stone an actual measure of weight? I've heard that it's very subjective, and guessing someone's weight in stone has a lot to do with how much you've had to drink and how likely you are to engage in a fistfight with that person in the next few minutes.

Treadhead_1st
11-12-2007, 21:23
My mate has issues moving round a GW store, he's 19 stone (in the UK its a weight. We're just retro.). Then again (and no, he won't mind me saying this, in fact he's laughing at me for explaining) he's fat. Just an issue - just because someone lists their weight, it don't mean their built like a brick *out-door-privvy*.

And that intenet ego thing is always there for others, too.

Lately the games I've been getting have been good, very few disputes - and Ive played a couple of younger players too. Most annoying thing was a kid with ADHD (actually diagnosed, not stereotyping) that the parents had abandoned with his brother (the brother was playing me at the time) - and the kid just tore round the fairly packed store, moving boxes around and generally being a loudmouth/getting in the way - and the mother had the nerve to have a go at the Staffers who mentioned they preferred it if she didn't leave such a...wild child alone in their store for 4 hours.

vulcan raven
11-12-2007, 21:28
wiki to the rescue

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stone_(weight)

as for the fleet in movement phase, never had a problem really, mostly played small games with decent people. but yeah, anyone abusing game mechanics gives me the **its, right when i realise they are doing it i consider whether or not to continue playing with them and avoid at all costs another game with them

Malorian
11-12-2007, 22:24
When I play against nids I let them roll in the movement phase unless:

-the assault is iffy (they might run out of cover and roll badly for fleet and not make it back)
-things are packed and the extra move would allow other units to sneak through or move up farther

Otherwise it has no effect on the game.

mnbrit
11-12-2007, 22:51
Is stone an actual measure of weight? I've heard that it's very subjective, and guessing someone's weight in stone has a lot to do with how much you've had to drink and how likely you are to engage in a fistfight with that person in the next few minutes.

a stone is an imperial measurement used in the UK and is equal to 14 pounds.

Rpait
11-12-2007, 22:55
People who play dawn of war who assume Items do what they do on the PC. This summer I was at a tourney where a necron player tried to claim that his necron lord had an Item that let him allways strike first, because in the pc game it makes everyone else slow while your people are the same speed.

As a former gamestore kid (have since grown up, and I was rarely the one you hear tales about), people who get preemptively uppitty about them. The first time I brought a model I had painted into the store some grey beard grabbed by the collar and began to demand from whom I had stolen the Khorne Berserker from, despirte the color scheme on it did not match the one used by anyone else at the store. I was a kid with a mini, so in his mind, I had to have stolen it because I was an evil gamestore kid.

mnbrit
11-12-2007, 23:23
i have recently encountered something had really made me mad.
people who think their house rules apply in the real world when the rest of us live.
a few weeks ago i was playing a guy in my LGS,who tried to add his FOF roll to his wyches assault move, even after he had fired there weapons in the shooting phase, i called him on it and he assured me,in an attempt at a calming tone of voice that really just sounded patronizing, that it was ok because WE had a house rule that they could do that.
first of all who the bejebus is WE i had agreed to no such thing and secondly we were not in his house so play by the book.
he accused me of cheating and being a rules nazi, he then told me i had to pack up my army and not play anymore, i couldnt believe it

eek107
11-12-2007, 23:28
The main one that gets me is when someone loses interest halfway through. Not only do they find it a chore but in my experience they make you feel the same way about it.

Not so much about the game I'm in, but it really ticks me off when people come over and ask to borrow dice and/or templates regularly. Once or twice is fine... like you forgot to pack your small blast or something. But there's always one particular group at our club that comes over to ask to borrow stuff every session, and it's gotten to the point where I refuse. It's not hard... if you can't afford dice and a measuring tape, then there's no way in hell you can hope to get anywhere in the hobby. The templates are a quick scan&print job from the rulebook so there's NO excuse there either.

squeekenator
15-12-2007, 00:01
Personally, I always used Fleet in the Movement phase (after asking, of course) until I realised how that can be used to cheat. So not everyone does it to be an *******, it does speed things up a lot when you play a gaunt horde army.

Eldartank
15-12-2007, 03:34
People who play dawn of war who assume Items do what they do on the PC. This summer I was at a tourney where a necron player tried to claim that his necron lord had an Item that let him allways strike first, because in the pc game it makes everyone else slow while your people are the same speed.

As a former gamestore kid (have since grown up, and I was rarely the one you hear tales about), people who get preemptively uppitty about them. The first time I brought a model I had painted into the store some grey beard grabbed by the collar and began to demand from whom I had stolen the Khorne Berserker from, despirte the color scheme on it did not match the one used by anyone else at the store. I was a kid with a mini, so in his mind, I had to have stolen it because I was an evil gamestore kid.

If that had happened to me (if I was a kid), I would have demanded that the idiot immediately take his hand off me. And if he didn't, I would have made quite a scene about the big mean stranger grabbing me. I probably would have also called the police, assuming someone else nearby didn't call them already.

In my local store, anyone stupid enough to manhandle some kid would be immediately set upon by the other regulars (and also the store owner), removed from the store, and told to never come back again.

Eldartank
15-12-2007, 03:55
The thing that annoys me most about our gaming group is the bloke who never, ever has an army list. This is for a game where at least half of the senarios require you to add up victory points! I have also been caught out a couple of times. We normally play WYSIWYG and any discrepancies have to be pointed out when the unit is deployed. Well this particular player has had models suddenly sprout powerfists in CC and other such things. When questioned he "forgot to say" and of course we can't look at his list!

Oh and he never knows how many models it takes to phase out his Necrons. We have to ask when we think we are close and then do the maths to work it out.

It's got to the point where I avoid playing him when I can.

Now that's just plain messed up. In my local gaming store, if a person doesn't have a written (or printed) list for his army, he simply is NOT going to play a game.

Here's a suggestion for dealing with that guy with no army lists: INSIST on ultra-strict WYSIWYG for his army, and only his army. This is perfectly reasonable, since he has no army list to prove what he does and doesn't have. And be sure to be rediculously anal about the WYSIWYG on ONLY his army. Even if it is some very minor proxy that is always allowed for everyone else, don't allow it for the guy with no army list. For example: If there are no frag grenades modelled on his Assault Marines, then they do not have frag grenades - even if the entry in the codex says that all Assault Marines always have frag grenades.

If everyone (or at least most of the people) in your store is together on this and totally unwavering, then I guarantee you won't have any more problems with that guy not having an army list.