PDA

View Full Version : Khabuldashudeth sculpts!

Pages : [1] 2

Khabuldashudeth
07-12-2007, 17:54
Hey there people!

Now, to start this off; what to expect.

I'm not Felix Paniagua...
I'm not one of the forum legends like Rikard or Pox...
I'm just a guy who enjoys the creative side of the hobby, inspired to have a go at this myself. These are my first complete sculpts... so be nice

WIP Baghests;

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/khabuldashudeth/hound1bodysculpt.jpg
body1

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/khabuldashudeth/hound2sculpt.jpg
body2

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/khabuldashudeth/barghestheadright.jpg
head 1 right side

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/khabuldashudeth/barghestheadleft.jpg
head 1 left side

One of these is fully completed on the Daemonic Legion forum. This is to be the creation of my own worlds and legends... I like it better that way

more to come soon (with narrative/fluff/depth/whatever... just a bit rushed at the mo)

rikard
07-12-2007, 17:58
mate I hardly think anyone is going to shout "You suck!" because that is a brilliant sculpt you got right there, the fur is flawless, the teeth and skin folds are awsome.

I shall be paying a lot of attention to this thread.

Keep it up mate!

Your Evil Twin
07-12-2007, 18:04
WOW stunning sculpts mate really cool, somewhat reminiscent of flesh hounds to, excellent!

All I can do at the mo is gap filling and small sculpts, do you build it up in layers or just start with a blob?

Your Evil Twin

mrtn
07-12-2007, 21:04
Nice!

:)

txamil
07-12-2007, 21:48
Yeah looks good.

nathonicus
08-12-2007, 00:38
Hey, nice work K. I like the attention you have paid to the anatomy in the chest area in the first pic. Good job.

If I had one word of caution (as a budding sculptor myself) it would be to try and smooth out the details (such as in the face) as much as possible. Little irregularities become really frustrating to deal with when casting (if you are going to cast.) I'm not saying get rid of the detail, just watch the texture.

I really like the skull harness thing, and the overall design is fantastic. I look forward to seeing more sculpts from you!

Guilliman
08-12-2007, 11:22
You won't have to worry about people not being nice to you, these sculpts are awesome!

The only critics I have is the skin, it needs smoothing out a bit. It will not only be a problem when casting like nathonicus said but will show much more when you start painting the models.

rikard
08-12-2007, 12:24
I can't believe I forgot to ask but if you don't own some clay shapers then get yourself some ASAP, no sculptor pro or otherwise should be without one.

Khabuldashudeth
09-12-2007, 00:21
Hey there again. I'd hoped to get some 'fluff' and concept sketches on here today while the latest bits of putty dried, but things haven't gone quite to plan (real life, eh? :()

anyways;

@Rikard - thank you. Your Lizardmen sculpts are truly inspiring. And yes, I have clay shapers... but haven't quite got used to them yet. Its mainly my trusty GW sculpting tool...

@My Evil Twin - I start with blobs and wire, get a basic shape and build it up from there. Basic musculature, then smoothed out n added to.

@mrtn and txamil - thanks :)

@nathonicus and Gulliman - the skin looks a bit irregular in part because of my inability to mix greenstuff consistently yet... but you're right that it needs smoothing; is it best to file it down, since its dry now an all? As for casting, I would quite like to, but haven't the foggiest how to. Help? :p

I should be updating this proper soon, with the bits everyone is interested in (pictures)

Khorghan
09-12-2007, 06:22
i like the idea of having the skulls tied into the fur

Guilliman
11-12-2007, 21:41
I never file GS down and you should never aim to do it in the future either! Though you might want to in this one case. To be extra careful just scrape off the worst with you knife.

I usually smooth it out while I work with it. If you're not used to work with GS most people find it easier to let it cure for about 20 minutes before you start to work it. This way it's not as sticky when you start sculpting. But I usually start right away and like I said constantly smooth it out while I work. Always remember to use a LOT of water on you tools.

floyd pinkerton
11-12-2007, 21:47
wow, that's great man!

trust me, no one will say "you suck!"

Khabuldashudeth
17-12-2007, 13:27
I don't like filing greenstuff either, it tends to 'fray' and get messy :/ was never very good at getting things totally smooth AND how I wanted them... but hey, thats what these logs are for *smile face the picture limit won't let me use*

What sort of tools do you use? I have my GW sculpting tool, and two clay shapers... not got the hang of the latter yet.

I use green stuff as soon as its mixed, as I'd probably forget/lose interest by the time 20 mins have passed (plus, it never seems to stick as well).

And for anyone who's interested, the body1 as a WIP;

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/khabuldashudeth/fh-wip1.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/khabuldashudeth/DSC07288.jpg

and concept art for the two im working on (I draw this very rough, wherever I can find time... such as lectures about wire, and the train platform...)

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/khabuldashudeth/concept.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/khabuldashudeth/concept2.jpg

Will be starting a third soon, charting its progress from lowly armature to full-fledged sculpt... watch this space*!

*but not too intently, or you could suffer permanent damage to the eyes

THE CHIEF
17-12-2007, 13:49
Quality stuff! You have a nice style developing there, really promising work :)

*subscribes and watches this space intently*

Guilliman
17-12-2007, 23:16
I use the GW tool as well together with a set of 12 sculting tools I got from eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/12pc-Sculptors-Sculpting-Tool-Set-for-CM-Custom-Resin_W0QQitemZ250198724714QQihZ015QQcategoryZ1341 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The GW tool is still my favorite though.

Maybe you should smooth some GS out on something for practice?

For how long have you used GS by the way?

Khabuldashudeth
18-12-2007, 12:01
Iv been using GS for years for gap-filling and conversions, stuff like this;

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/khabuldashudeth/troll.jpg

which I doubt I'll ever finish painting :(

Though as I said before, these are my first ever attempts at sculpting from scratch...

and thanks for the link, I've seen these tools on Heresy miniatures, but never got round to buying any. Worthy investment? There's not much I've found the GW tool can't handle.

And to anyone waiting for more sculpts... I'm working on it now ;)

Guilliman
18-12-2007, 12:47
I don't use many of the tools but some come in very handy. But as I spent like 9 including P&P it was totally worth it.

Nice conversion! And I know what you mean about never finishing the painting... *sigh*

Khabuldashudeth
18-12-2007, 22:28
I've done less than I'd have liked to, but hey - tomorrow is another day!

Leg of body 2 - notice the hooks that were a massive pain to do :P

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/khabuldashudeth/leg.jpg

I think it needs some more straps around the upper bit, but none I do look right... any ideas? fine as is?

As for the step by step 3rd, here's the first 2 steps;

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/khabuldashudeth/stage1-2.jpg

built the torso from milliput for sturdiness, and added wire for the limbs, because wire can bend :D

more soon

Khabuldashudeth
09-01-2008, 23:33
The figure sitting between the trees pulled his grey-furred cloak closer around himself. His heart had not beat in a thousand years, but something about the solstice night always sent a chill through him. The wind coughed a dying breath through the skeletal trees, shaking the last autumn leaves onto the cold, black waters. A rising moon, red and imposing, hovered above the far horizon. As the leaves landed, casting eerie circles across the water, its reflection pulsed like some vast celestial heart. Across the water, one of the ancient Towers of Silence - a vast ossuary shrine, remnant of an age long past - rose up like a black fang through the treetops, tearing at a sky that bled as its very life faded into the west.
With the waning twilight, black figures could be seen stalking through the trees, silhouetted against the encroaching darkness. Of all the peoples of the world, Wilhelm von Strauss was one of few who could claim no fear for the creature staring at him from the far shore. A pair of eyes, smouldering like embers in the blackness, peered out from the forest.
Barghest - one of the few shared words of the Elder tongues, describing beasts that pre-date them all. They are guardians of the Towers and the ley lines, protectors of the sanctity of death. To the Ctheltos in the west, they are known as Wold Hounds - the grey dogs of the marsh and moor, revered as holy beings that guide the spirits of the dead to their final rest. The younger realms of the east know them as Shuck, or simply 'black dogs', and treat them with fear and loathing, seeing them as ill-omens, daemons of evil and harbingers of death - a reputation becoming steadily more deserved.
Wilhelm was there to witness The Fall - it was by his hand that the old kingdoms fell, and he had gained his great reward; Immortality, at the cost of his soul. Since then, the Barghest have grown increasingly more restless and erratic, stalking the forests and becoming aggressive in their hunts. Entire villages have been butchered under razor claws and dripping mouths, the Black Dogs exacting the punishment of an angry death-god upon a tainted world.
Wilhelm smiled, shuddering slightly as his form dissipated into the mists of the forest. Solstice nights were always cold....

The sigh of summer upon my return, fifteen alike since I was here... yes, I realise its been a while :p

Life has been a hectic time, an incident before christmas throwing everything off. I regret that I have not done more on my 'step-by-step hound' idea, as I have just started sculpting again to-day. Here, submitted for your approval, are my efforts;

the other side to body 2 [attached as photobucket is being an unmentionable]

Gekiganger
10-01-2008, 00:16
I'd take those beasties over the new VC wolves (as much as they're growing on me). Lovely sculpt, can't see how anyone can not praise you.

dr.oetk3r
10-01-2008, 00:39
Nice sculpts man!

Khabuldashudeth
11-01-2008, 01:08
Thanks for the comments :) I was actually a little disheartened when the new VC wolves shown up. At first, because the initial pic was terrible (I have a soft spot for 'hound'-like models), and then because I started to like them - gave a feeling my concepts and execution are nowhere near professional standards.

But hey, what better way to fix that than practice? ;)

I also have ideas for sculpts of other creatures (orc, man, elf, and a dragon...oid? monster) and a failed attempt at sculpting a Chaos Dwarf (which I may eventually fix)... but nothing keeps my attention quite like the doggies :D

HiveTrygon
13-01-2008, 01:11
As I mentioned before I love them. Something I can mention though is that the wire you use is awfull thick. I'd use paper clips. They are strong but you can get them super thin. This allows you to do stuff that is very, very thin and still get details on them. I refer you to these WIP of mine that show how thin the sculpt is with detail on the tiny limbs. You will be able to get very emanciated hounds this way.
http://www.trollsforge.com/5wor/alienpre1.jpg
I just picture your dogs or hounds having thinner legs with a little less fur. I love them but a few thinner sickly ones would also be sweet. :D

Khabuldashudeth
13-01-2008, 11:22
Up to now I've been using garden wire, because its all I had available. If I strip the green off, it seems a bit too thin/flimsy. However, I have run out of the stuff now, so.... paperclips onto my next shopping list :D

I'm also still getting used to the canine anatomy thing. Want my dogs to look dynamic, strong but fast... and a little supernatural. Still thinking I'm a far way off.

I'm also starting to dislike the first [and only complete] hound's body. I need to get it cast afore I ruin it with 'improvements' :D

HiveTrygon
13-01-2008, 14:32
I like the first one fine, I did think of something though. When you cast these how are you planning to do it? You are probably going to need to cut 2 of the legs off for removing them from the mold, or make a box mold that is 3 pieces. ;)

Khabuldashudeth
14-01-2008, 00:26
I am planning to let someone who knows what they are doing do it for me :p

The first hound is in 4 pieces - head, body, left front leg, left hind leg

the second is in 5 - head, body, front leg, back legs

hopefully won't cause too much trouble with casting?

Acidfire
14-01-2008, 20:31
Wow, those are some amazing sculpts you got there man!

Keep up the good work, I'll be checking this thread regularly.

HiveTrygon
14-01-2008, 23:05
I am planning to let someone who knows what they are doing do it for me :p

The first hound is in 4 pieces - head, body, left front leg, left hind leg

the second is in 5 - head, body, front leg, back legs

hopefully won't cause too much trouble with casting?

That's perfect, should work no problem. Make sure any very thin parts have tiny nipples, or wisp vents as they are called at the point of air entrampment. That way "if" air is trapped the wisp vent will take the bubble and not your casting. ;)

Malakian
15-01-2008, 15:32
cool looking shait you have there, 1 tip, sculpt fur in layers, makes it look more realistic. I love your ogre.

Khabuldashudeth
15-01-2008, 16:41
Thanks for comments, putty dries as we speak so more pics soon :)

@Malakian - I don't understand. I do build up the fur in layers, maybe it doesn't show? Unless there's a specific 'effect' you mean? Example pics, maybe?

Thanks again, all comments welcomed ;)

Malakian
15-01-2008, 16:55
u know tile roofs?
http://www.iroofer.com/images/spanish_12-04.jpg
Try doing fur with the same technique. The roof is built by starting from the very bottom, each line is built a bit on the lower line. So you get this effect:

vvvvvvv
vvvvvvv
vvvvvvv

Did this make any sence to you? This give fur more realistic look if done properly. It takes a lot more time to create than "normal fur".

nkicik
15-01-2008, 17:46
I'm a proper wimp, I won't read this thread and skim over any you've posted in because of that horrible avatar! I keep forgetting and opening it then remembering and having to cry myself to sleep.

Khabuldashudeth
17-01-2008, 00:14
@Malakian - I do build it up in layers where I can/have enough to. I've taken on what you suggested and tried to make it more defined, will see if it shows when I have more pictures :p

@nkicik, this thing?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/briggot/khabby.jpg

There's a story behind this one. However, it isn't very good, so I'll just apologise for my avatar, and try not to ruin warseer for you by posting often ;)

Khabuldashudeth
18-01-2008, 15:08
Ok, update;

Hound 1's neck broke :( in the process of repairing, and hopefully it will even improve (wasn't much fond of it before)

Hound 2 I have done more on, as seen here:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/khabuldashudeth/barghest2-improv.jpg

and I've decided I'm going to start up again with the scratch-builing of hound 3 :D

[/rushed post]

HiveTrygon
18-01-2008, 23:28
These straps look better. I would like to give you one tip. Where the buckle is make a few tiny holes in the middle of the strp next time. It seems like nothing but makes the illusion of a belt or strap that much more real. ;)

mrtn
19-01-2008, 13:44
Still looking good. :)

SevenSins
19-01-2008, 16:16
very nice sculpting

Khabuldashudeth
21-01-2008, 01:10
Thankyou again for comments :) hopefully it will keep looking good til its finished :D

gonna do something not-hound as well, variety keeps life spicy! concept art;

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/khabuldashudeth/orc.jpg

The Orcs were a race of men once, in the time that the Great Empire spanned across much of the known world. Together with the Elves, the Dwarves and the Ctheltos, they existed peacefully, banding together against the various evils that sook to prey upon them. As the Ctheltos shared traits with the Elves, so the Orcs resembled Dwarves, tougher and more resilient than their lighter-skinned cousins. When the mad Baron von Strauss led the schism that would shatter their Empire, it was the Orcs who took to where fighting was thickest, delaying the armies of man and Daemon alike. Their valiant efforts bought time to stem the spewing tides of black magic, and Wilhelm von Strauss was defeated.
But the world would never be the same again. The Elves fled to the far corners, the Dwarves deep into the hills. The Ctheltos renounced the modern ways, praying to the Ancient Gods and blaming the greed of man for what befell them. The Orcs, however, were hit the worst. Those that survived were left ravaged... their hair fell out, their faces withered to a near-skeletal grimace. Teeth grew like tusks, sprouting from their jaws. As they returned to the races they once called friends, they were attacked as Daemons, and driven back. Malice grew within them, their minds dulled, clouded by thoughts of vengeance.
The proudest race of men had become nothing more than brutal monsters; the final revenge of Wilhelm von Strauss upon the race that had cost him his dreams.
"...and no Orc shall know peace".

HiveTrygon
21-01-2008, 01:48
That is some very cool and fine writing there friend. I can't wait to see what you do with it. :evilgrin: I love the dagger pierceing as well, some thick fur hides and leather armor would also be nice additions.

Khabuldashudeth
23-01-2008, 01:49
Thick fur and more armour I'm likely to reserve for the ones in charge ;) I quite like the idea of the Orcs going to war half-naked and skewered with knives. Gives a kind of savage, dangerous feel...

More concept art (I swear I will have something green and miniature to show soon);

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/khabuldashudeth/ctheltos.jpg

Ctheltos man. I'll be fixing the proportions of the legs when I sculpt it...

HiveTrygon
23-01-2008, 01:53
You have some very pre-historic looking sculpts going, or should I say concepts. Have you thought of possibly leaving the heads or feet of some animal hides attached to the clothing?

Khabuldashudeth
23-01-2008, 11:16
You have some very pre-historic looking sculpts going, or should I say concepts. Have you thought of possibly leaving the heads or feet of some animal hides attached to the clothing?

Aye, I am of the type that positively DETESTS all of the stupid tech stuff GW are putting into warhammer fantasy. So I guess I'm going the opposite route :D
Cannons are one thing, but when you have robot horses and gatling guns, laser cannons and artillery, and rarely see large monsters, in a fantasy game... it just doesn't seem to fit. I think even Hordes has gun-monsters now.

So no 'tech'. More monsters. Magic if you really need something that goes BOOM!

The Ctheltos especially, fear so much a repeat of the Fall that they have regressed to a hunter-gatherer tribal state. Their lands are saturated with magic, which transfers into the stone weapons they wield. Animal hides and carved wooden plates serve as their only armour, though most prefer to rely on their near-Elven reflexes, and the protection of the Ancient Gods.

As for the models, I've considered such things, but am hoping to keep it simple for now. Don't want to clutter the mini, and could probably do with more practice first. I hope to make more than one of each though, so any suggestions are welcome :D

HiveTrygon
23-01-2008, 13:12
Very cool. I'm trying my first set of minis right now with new posable arms. I'm slowly working toward making my minis able to be assembled in almost anyway, but it's tricky. What I've been doing is an almost ball in socket type joint and filling it with detail after I remove the part. It allows me to make arms that can be posed in different directions with little gap filling. Might work for you to make several varitations that way.

Khabuldashudeth
25-01-2008, 12:21
I've made progress, and began sculpting the Orc. However, my camera is broken. So here is an old webcam pic of fully assembled Hound 1;

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v675/briggot/Picture67-1.jpg

Khabuldashudeth
27-01-2008, 21:19
Got my hands on some paperclips, and so....

Beginnings of the Orc;

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/khabuldashudeth/orcbegin.jpg

I *was* really happy with it.... these close ups really show off the imperfections. When its finished it will kick it. I hope :D

And of course;

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/khabuldashudeth/barghes2-3.jpg

I'm getting close to finishing this one. I think theres a noticable difference in skill between the side I started first [left in pic] and the one I did later [right in pic].
One front leg has been started on - torn flesh, bandage/straps, even a lil vein. Oh, and don't worry - the lone 'dangly' hairs won't be staying like that for long...
Cut off and resculpted its tail [pin vice and paperclips - gave me an idea how to make arm joints and the like easier].
Lost all ability to sculpt canine heads.

Once this is done, I'll do a step by step of the next Barghest (and please, if you have ideas of what would make a cool hound, now is time to share :p)

til the next time...

brambleten
27-01-2008, 22:42
wow, i love the hounds, much better than anything i can attempt (the most ambitious i have been is to give a basic necron a cloak and a combat weapon and call him a lord)

Khabuldashudeth
28-01-2008, 12:43
More progress! (I'm getting into the swing of things)

Its mostly my Orc I've been working on. Here's how he's progressing!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/khabuldashudeth/orcprogression.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/khabuldashudeth/orcbacknsides.jpg

More Barghest pics when I've done something of worth - its just fiddly details from now on, so slow going for not much gain :(

Oh, and if anyone knows how to make trousers look less like legs, or can point me in the direction of a guide, it would be most appreciated.

Thanks for looking!

HiveTrygon
28-01-2008, 22:34
Making pants is rather tricky depending upon the rest of your figure. I usualy make the smooth everywhere except for a few wrinkles around points where they are tucked in, such as you boots. I also add a few around the knee region and may be a few at the hips. Seams for the pants also help. If your guy has lots of muscle or definition of muscle the lack there of on the trousers helps show the muscles are covered. The hardest part of miniature sculpting for me is the fine line between styleizing too much or too much detail. It's a fine thread to walk. I'd say if it looks good astheticaly then you did the right job. ;)

dijit80
29-01-2008, 20:08
I'm really impressed with your modeling skill especially the Hounds they look really very good. How did you do the sculpting of the different parts and still made sure they fit without letting the greenstuff stick to the wrong pieces? I'm subscribed.

Khabuldashudeth
30-01-2008, 09:37
Sculpting nightmare! A free day with nothing to do, and my greenstuff is all but used up :cries: plus I can't get any more til friday...

The trousers are being a right pain to get right, I need to get a few reference pics and really work on it.

As for getting the pieces to fit, I'll use a leg as the example;
I made the pose of the leg out of wire and attached it to the body with superglue. Then I made basic muscle shapes out of greenstuff to bulk it up. I built up the area around the leg - close, but not so it was touching. Once it dried I snapped off the leg and detailed it. This extra layer closed the small gap, and once I had detailed the other side it blended in nicely. To help with this, you can put the detailed leg back into its socket and so know how far to sculpt to get a perfect fit.
Also, if you get the putty to the right consistency (more blue than yellow, and let it set for a while) it won't stick to other putty without extreme effort :D

Oh, and I guess I paint, too. So I added a pic as an example (I'm far too slow to keep up with a plog)

mrtn
30-01-2008, 11:57
I'd love to see more of your painted work. :)

HiveTrygon
30-01-2008, 14:11
I'd love to see more of your painted work. :)

Here, here! I would also, looks fantastic.

Khabuldashudeth
30-01-2008, 16:30
If you will;

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/khabuldashudeth/DSCF0101.jpg

I made a 'white orc' after seeing them labeled on the map in the o&g army book.

Should have a few more models soon, when painted I'll put them up here :D

Khabuldashudeth
01-02-2008, 15:47
Guess you guys don't like Orcs? :p

Such a shame, as I've made progress on mine;

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/khabuldashudeth/orctrousers.jpg

and a closeup;

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/khabuldashudeth/orctrousers-close.jpg

I'm really quite happy with how the trousers turned out.

Any thoughts?

HiveTrygon
01-02-2008, 18:23
The pants look very good. I love that white Orc by the way, excellent painting there. :eek:

dijit80
02-02-2008, 14:11
Looking good, though its difficult to see without any arms as to how the siloette will look. But keep up the good work.

Khabuldashudeth
04-02-2008, 00:25
Oh, should have noted, only one trouser leg is finished, the other needs the back doing. I want to put something down the back, but I'm not sure if more chainmail or just extend the fur down. I'm going to rough the fur up a bit before its done anyway, so could add it then.

The orc is hopefully going to come out looking like its concept art (that's what I'm aiming for). Arms are proving tricky to get the right position with the wire, but I should have more done soon.

Going to start on a few more sculpts as well soon, may as well be able to work on one thing while putty dries on another :D

The_Dark_Raven
04-02-2008, 08:19
That white orc is just, amazing. You have a very rare talent.

Khabuldashudeth
04-02-2008, 13:47
That white orc is just, amazing. You have a very rare talent.

If you mean the sculpt, then credit goes to GW - its a savage orc boar boy head on a black orc body (I think)

If however you mean the painting, then thanks :D

I can't wait to get some of my own stuff cast up and painted.

HiveTrygon
04-02-2008, 16:26
If you mean the sculpt, then credit goes to GW - its a savage orc boar boy head on a black orc body (I think)

If however you mean the painting, then thanks :D

I can't wait to get some of my own stuff cast up and painted.

Have you decided how your going to cast them yet?

Khabuldashudeth
06-02-2008, 10:32
Well the hounds were originally for a project over on TDL, we were going to cast them in resin and offer them on the site.

However it seems to have slowed down a bit, and I'm considering getting them cast up in metal when I have a bit more money and a few more models ready.

and for any wanting pictures;

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/khabuldashudeth/ghurka.jpg

Ghurka the Kobold

HiveTrygon
06-02-2008, 13:11
I wanted to do metal at first as well. The best offer was around $150 per mold and so much like $0.5 cents per casting. A little to expensive for me so I went resin for now. When I have enough income comming in from my site and get more stuff online I'll be working towards buying the equipment to do them or the smaller stuff in metal. Big kits would still need to be resin though.

That goblin looks fantastic painted BTW.

Khabuldashudeth
12-02-2008, 11:23
Its my birthday :D

So as a special birthday treat to myself, I've decided to post progress on my Orc;

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/khabuldashudeth/orcspearfront.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/khabuldashudeth/orcspearback.jpg

HiveTrygon
12-02-2008, 16:17
Man that orc looks fantastic! I love what you did with the pants and the spine is perfectly done, not to distinct yet sorta visable. Very good work. Happy birthday to you.

ampao
12-02-2008, 16:36
Pretty awesome work you guys got here! wooh!

Khabuldashudeth
19-02-2008, 00:54
The new Flesh Hounds have been revealed, and rather than making me give up sculpting, I've got a newfound desire to crank out some Barghest :D

So, as it is rather late, and the putty is still wet, pictures will have to wait. I also have more concept art, background, a new trick for sculpting shields (these forums are a gold mine ;)) and I will get round to a step by step progress through a hound... eventually

dijit80
19-02-2008, 09:27
It's looking very good. I'd like to know whats TDL? And I love your crisp painitng style, especially that goblin. Keep it up!

Khabuldashudeth
19-02-2008, 10:37
Thank you :D. I should hopefully have some pictures soon.

As for TDL, it stands for The Daemonic Legion, and refers to this site here (http://s7.invisionfree.com/wyrmling_x/index.php).

dijit80
19-02-2008, 11:07
Ah ah, thankyou, that looks very interesting.

Khabuldashudeth
20-02-2008, 14:40
Just a small update;

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/khabuldashudeth/hound2-complete-side4.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/khabuldashudeth/hound2-complete-side3.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/khabuldashudeth/hound2-complete-side2.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/khabuldashudeth/hound2-complete-side1.jpg

Khabuldashudeth
20-02-2008, 14:40
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/khabuldashudeth/hound2-complete.jpg

Taking pics made me realise its a bit skinny round the chest/neck area. A few hanging skulls and a bit of fur will fix that :D

On another note, I've started on the Orc's shield, and can now sculpt hands in one go. Faces, I've yet to try :cries:

Another hound head has been begun, expect much cursing afore it is done! Also another hound body I plan to start today, so updates in the near future.

til then!

Rabid Bunny 666
20-02-2008, 14:43
Looks mean as hell, nice one

HiveTrygon
20-02-2008, 14:54
I love that new hound. I like the thin look, sorta scrappy looking. :evilgrin:

Khabuldashudeth
20-02-2008, 14:58
I love that new hound. I like the thin look, sorta scrappy looking. :evilgrin:

Hopefully not Scrappy Doo :rolleyes: hehehe

I wanted it to look sleek and quick, but powerful as well. I don't know if I managed, but I've got plenty more to practice on :D

thanks for the comments guys!

synapse
20-02-2008, 20:53
Iv been using GS for years for gap-filling and conversions, stuff like this;

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/khabuldashudeth/troll.jpg

which I doubt I'll ever finish painting :(

you HAVE to post more pics of that guy!

and i know just how you feel. ive been filling in gaps and adding bits to existing mdoels for a while now, and i keep on saying to myself i should try my hand at something stratchbuilt... but keep on putting it off.

kudos to you for actually going ahead

BTW: love the kobold :)

Khabuldashudeth
22-02-2008, 14:29
Second page? I must not be going fast enough :p

my first ever go at sculpting a humanoid face;

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/khabuldashudeth/orc-complete1.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/khabuldashudeth/orc-complete2.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/khabuldashudeth/orc-complete3.jpg

Still needs a bit of tidying, but the Orc is mostly done. I stole the shield idea from Rikard...

more soon

Khabuldashudeth
22-02-2008, 15:20
you HAVE to post more pics of that guy!

and i know just how you feel. ive been filling in gaps and adding bits to existing mdoels for a while now, and i keep on saying to myself i should try my hand at something stratchbuilt... but keep on putting it off.

kudos to you for actually going ahead

BTW: love the kobold :)

Thanks :) You should have a go, sculpting is a ton of fun and nowhere near as hard as one may imagine. Just work in stages, building it up in layers, and don't give up if you think it looks crap at first. Just delude yourself into thinking its amazing, and post a log of it on warseer ;)

oh, and ask and ye shall receive!

HiveTrygon
23-02-2008, 21:42
That orcs face is fantastic. That is probably my favorite orc ever and I'm not kidding, fantastic. We gotta get him molded up, email me. :eek:

Khabuldashudeth
25-02-2008, 13:09
For anyone still watching this;

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/khabuldashudeth/head2.jpg

the beginnings of another hound head

mrtn
25-02-2008, 13:30
Someone is still watching this... nice head start!

Animerik
25-02-2008, 13:36
Ahh lovley sculpts if you are going to cast some PM me Im intressed ;) the new hound looks really good a bit comical with the huge tooth but nontherless the jobs a good un

Grimstonefire
25-02-2008, 14:04
If that orc were a little hunched over he'd make an awesome hobgoblin! How tall is he?

Khabuldashudeth
25-02-2008, 16:49
@mrtn - *groan* :D

@Animerik - I'm definately getting them cast. The questions of when and how have yet to be answered, but It could be sooner than I'd thought ;)

Its only a half-head at the moment, but the bad news is it will have another huge tooth on the other side... its actually a pointy-stabby jawbone bit, the teeth are inside... I was kinda inspired by Mordheim's 'thing in the woods'

@Grimstonefire - I'll get scale comparison pics if you like? Its taller than a GW Orc (well, a savage orc, as its all I've to compare it with), but less broad. Cant say exactly as I'm slightly rushed and seem to have misplaced any sort of measuring device...

Mike KK
25-02-2008, 18:18
the orc is very good, looks a lot like a warcraft orc, bit skinny for a wfb orc

Khabuldashudeth
25-02-2008, 23:17
It's not designed as a wfb Orc, though I guess I failed at making it look different if warcraft got there first :p

Khabuldashudeth
02-03-2008, 02:08
Alles klar! For this update, I am hoping you all will enjoying the head I am giving you today!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/khabuldashudeth/head2-1.jpg

Bad puns aside (guess what I've been watching...), here's concept for body 3;

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/khabuldashudeth/concept3.jpg

and yes, I have begun sculpting it :D

...but not got scale pics of the Orc. Tomorrow!

HiveTrygon
02-03-2008, 15:32
That head looks great. You know these would also make great dire wolf. :evilgrin:

untimention
02-03-2008, 15:39
ok i have just skimmed over the forum... im very interested in the models you are producing. I collect all Felix's models...

Do you have a website to purchase your sculpts ?

Khabuldashudeth
03-03-2008, 00:28
Orc scale comparison (to a GW savage orc)

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/khabuldashudeth/scale.jpg

and I should hopefully have stuff available for sale soon :)

untimention
03-03-2008, 07:56
you say for sale soon. Do you currently have a site they will be available on.... i just dont want to miss when they become available

Khabuldashudeth
03-03-2008, 09:58
I don't have a site yet, these being my first ever full sculpts I wasn't sure how they'd turn out. But when they are available, you can bet it'll be all over this thread :D

Can even PM you if you like, to let you know?

Khabuldashudeth
05-03-2008, 14:52
Ok, so a few more pics;

-left side of head2 (pretty much complete)
-right side of head2 (pretty much just begun)

I also have a start on body 3, but my camera died. Shame, because I need a bit of help deciding what to do.

You see, I've started adding detail, but im starting to think it's too small. If anything, I wanted to start making my hounds bigger. I wasn't sure if I should

a)press on with it
b)scrap it
c)bulk it up over the detail and start detailing again

I'll get a pic or two when I can sort my camera out.

HiveTrygon
05-03-2008, 16:36
They do not look small but it's hard to get an idea from those pictures. Why not make some with smaller heads and beefier bodies. You know me I love odd things, long limbs, small heads, weird looking critters. :D

Khabuldashudeth
05-03-2008, 19:25
Oddly enough, I'm having trouble signing into Warseer in Firefox :/

my last post is already out-of-date, as I have made more progress on the head, and I've decided to continue on with the 3rd body...

I have also a basic armature for a 4th, which I shall not touch until my camera is working again.

Its going to be my step-by-step, which I seem to have been promising so long.

...its also going to be BIG :D

codename_greendawn
07-03-2008, 06:20
No, don't scrap it just because it's a little small, it can just be the runt of the litter :P

Khabuldashudeth
07-03-2008, 15:22
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/khabuldashudeth/3-update.jpg

Head 2 update, with a little close-up on teeth detail. Body 3, as its coming along - the pose is to resemble the drawing seen further up the page ^

And finally;

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/khabuldashudeth/4-beginning.jpg

This stage is the easiest in sculpting the doggies. Simply take a paperclip, or length of wire, and stretch it flat. Clip it to the length you want (I used a cavalry base to get an idea of size - I wanted this one bigger than my previous efforts, but it still has to fit :D).

The next step was to add some putty for bulk. I used milliput, but any cheap putty that dries hard should be fine. I made a head, chest, and waist(? back leg?) section, pressed them in, and left them to dry. Be sure to leave a bit of the wire between them, it helps with the next step!

Decide on the pose. Bend the armature into shape, and its time to add limbs!

[I'm at this stage now - the blue/green stuff in between was a bit I had left over, so decided to sling on the wire. Looking at my armature, I may have made the 'bulking' bit too thick. An advantage to the hard putty here is you can sand it down with a dremel or similar]

until next time!

HiveTrygon
08-03-2008, 15:17
That body looks much better on the leaping hound. You have smoother skin for sure. Seems your getting the hang of the gs. :D I can't wait to see how these paint up. ;)

Khabuldashudeth
16-03-2008, 00:21
More pictures

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/khabuldashudeth/hound3bodyhalf.jpg

I think I was right to press on. This is bulking up nicely with detail, and I'm actually starting to like it :D

HiveTrygon
16-03-2008, 15:10
What's that strange blue green putty at the bottom of his feet? I agree, keep up with him, looking very rugged and I like the pose. Once hair is added it will be fantastic.

Any progress on orcs? I like that first one quite a bit.

Rabid Bunny 666
16-03-2008, 15:47
Thats extremely well doneso far, congrats.

mousekiller
16-03-2008, 16:23
Great bunch of doggies mate, great work.

Khabuldashudeth
17-03-2008, 02:16
Thanks, and thanks again. :D

I wonder, do people think it would look better with a row of spikes on the upper back, or a hyena-like mane? I plan to give it fur on the tail/neck/feet only, and how much/what style depends on that decision.

As for the blue stuff, its a two-part putty that seems similar to milliput in properties - dries hard, but doesn't take detail well. I got a bag of it free, so I'm testing its uses. I haven't seen how well it makes weapon blades and such yet.

For Orcs I was hoping to modify a cast of the first, to keep them in scale and cut down the work. Maybe add alternate arms with swords, etc.

isidril93
24-03-2008, 20:31
AMAZING
man you are good

Khabuldashudeth
25-03-2008, 01:13

I'm just hoping the new Gamezone doggies don't put mine to shame.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/khabuldashudeth/body3.jpg

Progress, though I've been working more, so it isn't much. I really messed up the tail, so I've had to cut it up a bit n start again.

Hopefully should get a bit more done soon!

HiveTrygon
25-03-2008, 01:51
That tail looks fine to me. Have you ever thought about some strange tails, such as scorpion tails? I'd love to see you do an insect like hound, such as a mix of roach, scorpion, and dog. :evilgrin:

Khabuldashudeth
26-03-2008, 01:18
That was post-cutting :D

I may well have a go at making weirder hounds, but I'd prefer to modify casts than go from scratch.

At the moment I'm trying to realise my vision of the perfect daemon-hound. I'm failing miserably, but at this rate, I may be there by 2012.... :p

HiveTrygon
27-03-2008, 15:13
Well I love the hounds myself and think they are very good miniatures. I can't wait to see them painted. ;)

Khabuldashudeth
28-03-2008, 01:12
An odd little endeavour, but today I decided for fun I would sculpt and paint something small from scratch. So, I present to you my first EVER fully completed scratch-built model;

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/khabuldashudeth/wisp.jpg

A Will o' the Wisp. :D

I think I've found what to sculpt when a need a nice easy break from the hounds...

dijit80
28-03-2008, 08:02
I love your models especially the Barghest. I think the hyena like mane would look best if the fur is going to cover enough of the neck/back to make it worth while. Keep up the good work.

Lost Egg
28-03-2008, 20:09
Whoa those hounds are awesome! I love the sculpts you've done so far I can't believe I haven't seen this log b4. Subbed!

HN

Khabuldashudeth
07-04-2008, 13:19
A bit of progress then;

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/khabuldashudeth/hound3-2.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/khabuldashudeth/hound3-1.jpg

I figured, spikes, mane...? Why not have both? There's still a lot to do on this one, I'm just trying to sort it all out in my head before committing it to putty...

So in the meantime, spare greenstuff gives me;

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/khabuldashudeth/wisp2.jpg

I really like how the base came out on this one. So much so that the sculpt itself comes second to it.

I've got bases ready for two more Wisps, and concept art for this guy;

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/khabuldashudeth/pariah.jpg

Fluff can be found here (http://z9.invisionfree.com/realms_of_Ikothel/index.php?showtopic=4)

Fallan
07-04-2008, 13:48
"Nice doggie, sit!"^^
It's shaping up really good and I especially like the muscles on the front half of his body, the shoulders etc..

Keep the updates rolling!

codename_greendawn
09-04-2008, 08:18
That concept sketch reminds me a lot of the GW Dark Emissary that they released for their Albion campaign a few years ago. it's OOP now, but if you could get your hands on one it might make a good starting point.

Khabuldashudeth
09-04-2008, 09:08
That concept sketch reminds me a lot of the GW Dark Emissary that they released for their Albion campaign a few years ago. it's OOP now, but if you could get your hands on one it might make a good starting point.

I know, it's possibly part of the inspiration - I love that model. The problem with that comes in the fact that I may want to get my sculpt cast, and that's a big no-no when it comes to using other companies work... :(

HiveTrygon
13-04-2008, 18:50
There is no problem casting that guy. It resembles a wraith or ghost just as much as the dark emissary. Only way you may have trouble is if that guy would have scrolls on his back and looks a lot more like the original.

The other hound is looking fantastic BTW. I've been very busy working on 2 large projects here and forgot to comment. ;)

Khabuldashudeth
13-04-2008, 21:01
There is no problem casting that guy. It resembles a wraith or ghost just as much as the dark emissary. Only way you may have trouble is if that guy would have scrolls on his back and looks a lot more like the original.

The other hound is looking fantastic BTW. I've been very busy working on 2 large projects here and forgot to comment. ;)

I meant using the GW model itself and sculpting stuff on that, for what is illegal to cast.

As for the other projects; care to share? ;)

Khabuldashudeth
16-04-2008, 12:22
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/khabuldashudeth/barghest-complete.jpg

it's on its way ;)

HiveTrygon
16-04-2008, 23:22
I am so glad those casts turned out well for you. I knew when I pulled them out they were going to floor people. They are so awsome in person. Trust me people they look even better in your hands. The paint job is ace also. :D Now lets get the others done for you. ;)
EDIT: I brightened up you picture a bit in photoshop.

Yayale
19-04-2008, 13:29
Looking awsome, I really do like the dogs. I was wondering if you had any fluff for the wisps or if you could just tell us what they are cos Im quite confuzzeled about them. I think It's amazing how well your sculpts are coming out considering they are your first ones. I've started a scratch build Ork warbosses but I havn't done anything on it in ages so It's pretty much the armature with a few blobs of green stuff and 40% finished trousers lol.

@ HiveTrygon I really want to know how to make moulds and where to get the resin and stuff from. Someone gave me a link to a youtube vidio made by a company which sells the stuff but they only make one part molds so you can cast a whole model really.

HiveTrygon
19-04-2008, 20:17
Looking awsome, I really do like the dogs. I was wondering if you had any fluff for the wisps or if you could just tell us what they are cos Im quite confuzzeled about them. I think It's amazing how well your sculpts are coming out considering they are your first ones. I've started a scratch build Ork warbosses but I havn't done anything on it in ages so It's pretty much the armature with a few blobs of green stuff and 40% finished trousers lol.

@ HiveTrygon I really want to know how to make moulds and where to get the resin and stuff from. Someone gave me a link to a youtube vidio made by a company which sells the stuff but they only make one part molds so you can cast a whole model really.

I agree, his stuff is fantastic for how long he has been sculpting. I've crossed my fingers that I can help him out for a little while with molds and such, as I've had a little trouble over the years myself and had to learn the hard way. Most molds for tiny stuff like this needs to have some equipment to make them look as good as his casts do here. I vacuumed the air out of the rubber before I even poured the hounds molds, then when I poured them I placed them into a pressure pot to help get the tiny parts to cast. Those legs are small.

Basicaly if you wish to try casting miniatures you will need sillicon mold rubber and a fast yet not to fast setting resin. I use a resin that has 3min set time. Just enough to mix pour and get them into the pot under pressure before they set.

Larger stuff can be done withought pressure by a method called rotto casting. I use this on large things as it allows me to make the hollow and use less resin. You pour a small amount of resin into the mold and slosh it back and fourth in the mold, trying to cover the entire surface. Once the resin turns to a gel where it will not flow well mix another small batch. Pour a second time just to make sure you get the entire surface of the mold. The two parts will bond seamlessly if the first part is still a gel.

Anyway, very basic walkthrough here for you to get an idea of how some methods wok. There are a lot of different mold tyes and such as well. I buy from here in the USA and see you are from Europe so I'm not sure where you could pick that up over there. Try ebay, or google.

Yayale
19-04-2008, 20:26
yeh I think id have to order online for stuff as I live in England in devon miles away from a large city where theres likly to be a store selling this sort of stuff. One thing I was wondering when making a two part mould how do you go about doing that? Do you sumehow suspend the model so only half is in the moulding silicone then once thats set do you make a box around it and put silicon on so it makes the other half or would it stick together? Im sure I could prob find stuff on the net when I actually have stuff to mould and buy the stuff but it's always helpful knowing a bit before you start.

HiveTrygon
19-04-2008, 21:39
yeh I think id have to order online for stuff as I live in England in devon miles away from a large city where theres likly to be a store selling this sort of stuff. One thing I was wondering when making a two part mould how do you go about doing that? Do you sumehow suspend the model so only half is in the moulding silicone then once thats set do you make a box around it and put silicon on so it makes the other half or would it stick together? Im sure I could prob find stuff on the net when I actually have stuff to mould and buy the stuff but it's always helpful knowing a bit before you start.

Well, I hate to hijack this thread but how I do it is to suspend the entire miniature then pour a block or cylander. I then sloly follow the piece I used to suspend the miniature and cut along that rod until I reach the mini. Ithen cut around the piece, not in a perfect half either, however the mini is posed I follow as close as possible to half. I use a very sharp scalpel so you must be carefull. This gives me two parts which fit perfectly back together. Cutting works best for something that is not symetrical, such as a figure. If you did a syetrical piece you could lay it flat into clay and pour half, remove add a release and then pour the second half onto the first poured piece.

Khabuldashudeth
19-04-2008, 22:46
Here's another hound pic to get it back on track ;)

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/khabuldashudeth/hound1.jpg

As for the wisps, there is a fluff link on the previous page. Wikipedia 'will o' the wisp' to read about them in real life :p - that's where I got my inspiration. I'm creating my own fantasy world, I guess its for fun at the moment.

That's about all the explanation I got :D

HiveTrygon
20-04-2008, 00:24
Here's another hound pic to get it back on track ;)

As for the wisps, there is a fluff link on the previous page. Wikipedia 'will o' the wisp' to read about them in real life :p - that's where I got my inspiration. I'm creating my own fantasy world, I guess its for fun at the moment.

That's about all the explanation I got :D

Do you have any more of the hounds painted yet? I'd love to see them. Are you planning to use a different paint scheem on the other 2?

Yayale
20-04-2008, 11:12
ah yeh pretty cool
so in the future do you plan on writing rules for your models and creating another games system? i'd love to do somthing like that but at the moment I really don't have the time and it would take ages creating all the models on my own and then youve gotta get people interested to buy it. As you seem to be going into buiseness with Hive Trygon ud have help doing it.

Shad0wblade
29-04-2008, 12:44
three words I LOVE IT !!!

These are so beautifull sculpts i've ever seen !!

Good Going !

Khabuldashudeth
29-04-2008, 15:00
Hey thanks :D

This thread is suffering a bit, but I have a new idea which will hopefully get things moving even faster/better :D

The first of these sculpts will soon be available to buy, should anyone be interested....

@Yayale, if it comes to that then its cool. I was hoping to do a bit more to hopefully make it interesting, then turn to the public to help create/refine a new world.... upto now its just a bit of fun

Shad0wblade
29-04-2008, 15:10
Do you have updates than ?

Khabuldashudeth
29-04-2008, 16:12
None yet, I've been pretty busy as of late, but have a lot of free time coming up to work on these. I didn't really want to post til I had new stuff, but it's found its way to the front page again :p

Will take some new pics upon the morrow, show what [little] progress I have made :D

Shad0wblade
30-04-2008, 07:28

The sculpt job is fantastic.. but the paint job is Not my style

Khabuldashudeth
30-04-2008, 10:48
The sculpt job is fantastic.. but the paint job is Not my style

Then buy one (http://www.trollsforge.com/2fan/monster.html) and paint it your style ;)

Seriously though, is it the colour scheme people don't like? Looking for suggestions for the next one to paint....

THE CHIEF
30-04-2008, 14:54
The colour scheme looks fine to me - thats a really successful model :)

HiveTrygon
01-05-2008, 01:32
I've updated the site and you can get his hound from this page now:
http://www.trollsforge.com/fan/demon.html
Click on the hound and it will open the link to order. I set it up that way so he can offer more later and possible package deals.

BTW, he sent me the orc and another hound so I'll be getting them ready as well soon. :D

Yayale
01-05-2008, 20:32
they look pretty cool, It's a nice paint job, I personally wouldn't have painted them that way, but it is your world so if you want them to have red skin it's totally up to you. I would have gone for a slightly flesher colour but stilla bit red to should the demon hound side. Hpw much are they to buy and posting to the UK, when I have some cash I may buy a couple as I like painting interesting minatures :D

Shad0wblade
01-05-2008, 20:59
I mean with not my style.. youre paint job(spikes and other things) are good but that red and black is euh... not my style :P

HiveTrygon
01-05-2008, 22:36
Here is the direct link to his hound. When he gets the others to me I'll set them up in singles and bundle deals. I will mold them up soon as possible, and you can, as with all my other stuff, pick your custom base option.
http://www.trollsforge.com/demon/hound/barghest.html

Khabuldashudeth
01-05-2008, 23:09
As regards to the painting, I think it could have been done better too. They are supposed to be 'Black Dogs', but I couldn't think of a way to paint so much black without it seeming flat... so I think I overdid the red. Have a few more casts so can paint some in more 'natural' colours... of course, if anyone wants to paint one up, feel free to display pics in here :D

As for cost and shipping, you'd have to ask HiveTrygon, as he's the one does the casting...

Yayale
07-05-2008, 21:44
try higlighting the black more then it wont look so flat and you could paint the red bits a dark grey instead so it ties in more.

Khabuldashudeth
10-06-2008, 15:19
I invoke forth the great ritual of Threadomancy!

...I know its been a while, but I got new stuff;

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/khabuldashudeth/base.jpg

A scenic base! First of a few. Now, I'm happy with it from those angles ^ but I have a problem;

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/khabuldashudeth/base-problem.jpg

Its a little dull from this one. Now, I have an idea for a solution;

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/khabuldashudeth/base-problem-1.jpg

(that's a rock, a vine, and a reminder why to never draw in paint on a laptop...)

I just thought I'd check here to see if anyone had any better ideas first?

Or anything creative to do with a 40mm base...

Yayale
10-06-2008, 20:40
looks good. Im starting to do a bit of sculpting at the mo It's slow work, Im also considering casting them to sell, if they turn out nice that is. I've been trying to come up with ideas of scenic bases. Im guessing you want to cast this one up so just remember that a lot of different models need to be able to fit on it and I think another rock will look good. Just remember don't over do it, often less is more. If the base has too much going on it draws attention away from the minature.

Khabuldashudeth
10-06-2008, 21:27
Took the less is more advice and added another rock.

I figure they can be at the back of the model anyway :p

Why not start a log [here or another sculpting site], so people can comment on your progress? Might help with motivation and such...

and if you're really good I can ask your advice and steal your ideas ;)

HiveTrygon
11-06-2008, 00:14
I love the rock and can't wait to see the orc painted up. Should get there soon I hope. Make sure to paint some watered down glue over the sand to trap it so when I mold it the sand leaves texture but is not caught in the rubber. Just a little water with the glue and brush on. Some sand might come loose in the water glue, just leave it to dry ad it will bond again. ;)

Khabuldashudeth
11-06-2008, 00:29
Sand is sealed on one of the bases (the other is a 40mm one, just got two little rocks on it so far... might put a tree stump or something on it?). I think I'll do the other afore I go to sleep.

The rocks on the bases are ProCreate, by the by, its really good for sculpting rocks :D... but I haven't tried anything 'organic' yet.

Yayale
15-06-2008, 19:23
yeh Im planning on starting a log but im going to wait till i've done a bit more work on the models first. I get easily distracted and I usually have a load of projects on the go at a time so progress is slow lol.

Khabuldashudeth
19-06-2008, 11:17
Hound 2 painted;

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/khabuldashudeth/hound2-paint2.jpg

good? bad? ugly?

Dark_Mage99
19-06-2008, 11:46
Whoa... that is awesome. The paintjob really brings out the detail in your sculpting.

Animerik
19-06-2008, 11:51
Wonderfull!! when the deal with all of them is aviable I will certanly get one or two. These doggies looks ace top notch stuff mate keep it up!

Yayale
23-06-2008, 21:04
yeh it's looking good, I hate to do it but i do have one fault with it, it wasn't noticeable on the green but the bottom jaw looks a bit dodgy, just the hinge bit, dunno if you could work on tht a bit or not. otherwise brilliant job:d I will definatly have to buy a cpl :)

HiveTrygon
23-06-2008, 23:14
Hound 2 painted;

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/khabuldashudeth/hound2-paint2.jpg

good? bad? ugly?

Fantastic! I never got to comment how good it looked. I'm hoping to update the site this week and am trying to decide upon the deal and prices as of yet. They were $8 for single miniatures with the decrotive base but in the deal format will drop to $30 for 5. I was waiting for him to get me the third before the deal rate kicked in but I guess I could include two for now. I cast all these for him so I can tell you the kits are very cool and being resin very easy to convert. That resin base he is on is also a rock base, there is also a slate choice which looks very nice.

Khabuldashudeth
24-06-2008, 01:05
yeh it's looking good, I hate to do it but i do have one fault with it, it wasn't noticeable on the green but the bottom jaw looks a bit dodgy, just the hinge bit, dunno if you could work on tht a bit or not. otherwise brilliant job:d I will definatly have to buy a cpl :)

If its the bit I think you mean, thats probably my fault. I had to cut the jaw to get it to cast properly, and in my haste to get it stuck together I didn't file/align it as much as I should have :o

If its something else then let me know, I'll keep it in mind for next time :)

Yayale
24-06-2008, 20:41
um I don't think it is, I think I know what you mean tho just the front bit with the teeth on, I just feel it extends to far down, I may just not have noticed it on the other one, Although if I remember right it had it's mouth closed, maybe not make it so square, so the bottom jaw is angled as it wouldn't just slide down when its opened it is hinged.

But seriously good job on it though! You get a golden star :)
:cheese: well it's yellow which is close to gold lol

HiveTrygon
24-06-2008, 21:02
Well the best thing about these are that they are resin. You could easily swap parts around and change heads, you name it. the mouth does not look bad either, in that pic it's about twice the size of the actual casting so that is not going to be as noticable. Almost all minis look 100times better when you get them in hand as I tend to make the pictures much larger and this shows some flaws the eyes would never see.

I sold some of my own stuff to a guy from Italy and he was blown away at how much better it was in person and these hounds are the same way. You will love them. ;) Get that orc painted and up here. Seriously it is one of the most unique and cool orc miniatures around.

Khabuldashudeth
25-06-2008, 15:25
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/khabuldashudeth/hound2-paint3.jpg

More paint! I'm trying to improve this one so far...

I get what you mean about the jaw, I wanted it to look kind of distended, but maybe went too far? Moulds have been made now anyway, so I can't fix it, though it really doesn't look that bad in the flesh.

Oh, and I bought some eBob puppets, just to have a play around;

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/khabuldashudeth/plagueimp.jpg

Anyone beginning sculpting, these things are awesome :D

Yayale
25-06-2008, 16:46
ebob puppet? are they skeletons to base your mini on so that they are the right scale basically? Also are they easy to repose? I may have to give em a go. So that gonna be another orc? Wait I just looked at the pic again is it a daemon or something with a mouth like that?

Khabuldashudeth
25-06-2008, 18:38
ebob puppet? are they skeletons to base your mini on so that they are the right scale basically? Also are they easy to repose? I may have to give em a go. So that gonna be another orc? Wait I just looked at the pic again is it a daemon or something with a mouth like that?

Yeah, they're armatures that bypass working out scale and bulking it up. They're metal and easy to pose, come in human, dwarf and halfling flavours, and what's more, you have permission to cast whatever you sculpt onto them for commercial purposes.

link (http://www.ebobminiatures.com/products/tools.htm)

edit; and yes, its a Daemon :D little plague beastie using a halfling armature

Layne in Spayne
25-06-2008, 22:59
Your work is all great. Sculpting your own stuff for casting, that's where I'd like to be! So those armatures, you don't need them at all, that's like a sculpters equivalent of a jam session?

Khabuldashudeth
25-06-2008, 23:36
Join us... (http://trollsforge.proboards83.com/index.cgi)

Really, if you're interested in sculpting, come here. ;)

I've seen the mongoblins, and they're awesome. If scratch-building seems daunting, pick up some armatures [ebob and reaper are the ones I know do them] and have a 'jam' :D

HiveTrygon
26-06-2008, 00:41
Join us... (http://trollsforge.proboards83.com/index.cgi)

Really, if you're interested in sculpting, come here. ;)

I've seen the mongoblins, and they're awesome. If scratch-building seems daunting, pick up some armatures [ebob and reaper are the ones I know do them] and have a 'jam' :D

Agreed, It's well worth it things are a little slow at first but it's gonna be fantastic when things start getting off the ground. I'm hopeing to inform a lot of people and help Me and Khabuldashudeth get better at making kits, molds, you name it.

As for the Jaw of the hound, I rather like it, sorta creepy and other worldly. ;)

Darkritual
26-06-2008, 10:14
Damn!!! verry nice sculpts!!

malika
26-06-2008, 10:58
Hmm why did I ever miss this log? Your sculpts are amazing! The Orc looks a bit odd, probably because I'm totally used to GW Orcs I guess. Love the fleshhounds and the way you paint the pale skin on them (but also the Ogre).

You mentioned creating a fantasy game/universe...any more info on that?

Yayale
26-06-2008, 22:00
omg i think I just creamed myself! that website is awsome, I havn't checked out postage but It's so cheap for green stuff and shappers and well everything. I was going to source some cheap green stuff soon but you saved me the hassel. Yeah Im just starting out with sculpting, havn't done a lot on it yet though, ideally I need the tools. I've gotten a job now though so on pay day :D. Im currently sculpting an ork warboss I started ages ago and I started a Plaguebearer, im basing it on the codex daemons front cover shown on white dwarf as I think they look so much cooler than the current models. Im going to make them to cast, so hopefully I will sell them or just make myself more if people don't like them. I will start a thread soon, im thinking end of next week when the hols start so I have plenty of time and no excuses.

Khabuldashudeth
01-07-2008, 14:47
Progress on my small green friend (fiend? :D);

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/khabuldashudeth/plagueimp2.jpg

and his buddy, who doesn't really look like much yet;

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/khabuldashudeth/plagueimp3.jpg

He's cut himself open, and yes, there will be innards...

Yayale
02-07-2008, 09:16
looking good so far, at the moment mine is the rough shape of the body and one of the legs, oh and it's also got one pec lol. It will come along slowly, it's the summer holidays at the end of the week so I should make good progress.

Khabuldashudeth
03-07-2008, 22:04
Progress on a couple of these guys;

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/khabuldashudeth/plagueimp4.jpg

Still needs a blade for its scythe, and an hourglass.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/khabuldashudeth/plagueimp2-1.jpg

and I think this one is coming along nicely too :D

HiveTrygon
03-07-2008, 22:22
I love the second one even more than the first. I hope you plan to cast them, very nicely done. :eek:

Yayale
03-07-2008, 22:42
yeh they are looking pretty awesome, theyre pretty different to the games workshop plague bearers so you're providing an alternative if you do decide to cast them. Im guessing the ebob miniatures really speed up the sculpting process then.

Khabuldashudeth
03-07-2008, 22:53
They're a lot smaller than Plaguebearers too, more like really big Nurglings....

and the eBob puppets are really good to work with, cuts out having to determine the anatomy as much, and adds a bit of bulk...

I have some dwarf ones I'm going to have a crack at next. Fluff;

In Arathya, legend tells that the Dwarves were hewn from the mountain rock by the Gods themselves at the birth of the world. Whatever the truth, the Dwarves do not seem to feel the fatigue of age as do the races of men.
As a Dwarf ages, his skin becomes tougher, his flesh harder, until finally his joints become stiff and his body turns to stone. Hundreds of these petrified warriors stand guard along the halls of the great fortresses, silent watchers over their kingdoms and their people.
It is rare that a Dwarf lives long enough to become a Sten-fad'har, or Stone-kin, but it is said that age can never really kill them, their minds and spirits as sharp as ever and tempered with the wisdom of ages.
In times of dire need, the Stone-kin wake from their slumber, following the Dwarven hordes to war. Each wears a golden death mask, and they are often decorated with weapons, armour and other offerings from their reverant descendants. Some families may trace their entire lineage back upon the person of these walking shrines.
The advance of the Stone-kin is slow but inevitable, weapons bouncing from their rocky frames, each heavy swing crushing through bone and armour alike. It takes great effort to lay a Sten-fad'har to its final rest, and no casualty is forgiven by their surviving kin.

Layne in Spayne
03-07-2008, 23:18
Interesting fluff. But then again, no Dwarf ever forgives anyone for anything. Except for Gimli, but he hung around Legolas for too long.

I took particular interest in the point where it talks of tracing lineage upon these walking shrines... does this mean that they'll be carved all over with genealogical informations in runic form? Cos if it means that, I'll be watching this. O sod it, I'll be watching anyway.

Khabuldashudeth
03-07-2008, 23:27
Gimli was also responsible for the most corruption-of-lol line in the LotR films.

I was thinking they get weapons, armour, trinkets, daisy chains etc. gifted upon their person by each generation.... so grandfather's axe, great-grandfather's amulet of protection, auntie Nora's bloomers....

Maybe not quite all those things, but you get the idea? :D

Yayale
03-07-2008, 23:36
Sound pretty good, so you gonna make the dwarfs aswell as the stone dwarf or just the stone ones? Either way I can't wait for them to get under way :)

Layne in Spayne
04-07-2008, 01:59
I get the idea, sounds like fun. I wonder if there's actually going to be any of the stone showing under all that. What I'd really like to see is a Sten-fad'har squeezing a goblin in two with one stony hand, all covered in green gutz and black blood.

Khabuldashudeth
11-07-2008, 11:59
@Yayale - yes, I'll be attempting some normal Dwarves too. I'm having trouble drawing concept art for them, so I'm hoping I'll find my sculpting easier than my drawing...

@Layne in Spayne - there will be stone showing, in various amounts. I'll be sculpting a few, so there's possibilities for broken armour, bare stone flesh... I wanted to do the 'champion' without his mask, kind of in the process of petrification, but not fully there yet. They'll be around 'normal' dwarf size, so probably beyond crushing goblins like that... but then there's always the Golem Lords.... ;)

As for actual sculpting, well;

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/khabuldashudeth/plagueimp1c.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/khabuldashudeth/plagueimp2c.jpg

Apologies for the terrible pics.

Yayale
11-07-2008, 16:09
theyre looking pretty awesome. Could you take a pic of them next to another model for scale?

Khabuldashudeth
18-07-2008, 12:03
I can do, any model preference? :)

as for progress, I've painted one of these guys;

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/khabuldashudeth/orc-paint.jpg

Yayale
18-07-2008, 15:46
dunno whatever you have knocking around, possibly a marine then I can see how they compare to the one im sculpting atm. I think it is a bit bigger than a gw plague bearer.

HiveTrygon
18-07-2008, 21:13
dunno whatever you have knocking around, possibly a marine then I can see how they compare to the one im sculpting atm. I think it is a bit bigger than a gw plague bearer.

No where near that, it's probably a human size, like the empire soldiers. Looks great though, and a very cunning look to him.

Khabuldashudeth
19-07-2008, 22:17
I think the scale thing was about the plague imp, as opposed to the orc.

I can't get a scale pic now, as I forgot about doing so in my hurry in sending them to cast :cries: sorry! They are around the same height as half a plaguebearer, quite a bit larger than a regular nurgling. I don't have any marines, I'm purely fantasy, so I don't even know how they'd compare... :confused:

Yayale
20-07-2008, 20:00
ah rite well anything really would do, im sure I can imagine lol
Hive Tyrogen were you on about khabuldashudeth's plague bearers or gw ones? as if they are human size I fear mine is rather too large. I would definitely have to make future ones smaller.

HiveTrygon
20-07-2008, 21:32
ah rite well anything really would do, im sure I can imagine lol
Hive Tyrogen were you on about khabuldashudeth's plague bearers or gw ones? as if they are human size I fear mine is rather too large. I would definitely have to make future ones smaller.

I misunderstood you an was talking about the orc. I'm waiting for his plague imps to get here. ;)

Yayale
21-07-2008, 22:26
ah irte yeh are you planning on making more orcs? also has it been casted?

pox
22-07-2008, 01:27
echoing the "how did I miss this thread" sentiment.

those dogs are simply stunning. if my opponent was fielding them, I would want to know what company made them, so I could go check out there range. nice work. I'll check out the troll forge forum when I get a chance, and send other sculptors over there too.

Khabuldashudeth
03-08-2008, 17:32
Thanks, it means a lot as your dragon is one of the most awesome sculpts I have ever seen :D

To anyone watching, sorry for not updating much. I should have some new stuff to show soon... ;)

Khabuldashudeth
04-08-2008, 20:20
New progress; the second Orc, this time a unit champion

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/khabuldashudeth/orc-champ1copy.jpg

I'm kind of stuck with several parts. The back looks too plain, and so does the belly. I'm thinking a few dangling trinkets forthe back, or armour plates nailed haphazardly to it. For the front I'm thinking either a belt, armour plate or severed heads. Help?

Also, aside from the other projects I have going, I'd like to sculpt something for you guys - that is, anyone who cares to follow this log :D

So, suggestions as to what you'd like? :)

HiveTrygon
04-08-2008, 21:27
I love this orc even more! The spear should cast a little better as well since most will be attached to the body. ;)

Hideous Loon
05-08-2008, 02:11
Wonderful sculpting, mate.

...I am hoping you all will enjoying the head I am giving you today!
Also, sigged...

HiveTrygon
05-08-2008, 02:46
Wonderful sculpting, mate.

Also, sigged...

That my be the best sig ever and how I missed that. LOL! :D:D:D

Hideous Loon
05-08-2008, 02:49
I know! Awesome, innit?

Yayale
05-08-2008, 22:39
lmao loving the sig
also the orc is looking pretty cool, the pose isn't very dynamic though it's totally stationary you should try to create some movement on the next one. It may require multiple parts for casting but im sure you will manage with me spurring you on lol.

Khabuldashudeth
06-08-2008, 01:39
Wellp, I wasn't happy with the orc's beard-plait so I've re-done it. This one is almost done now, just need an idea to make the back/stomach less plain, then create its shield. The stationary...ness.... of this orc is based on the fact that 1)its modified from a cast of the first orc, and 2)I wanted it in a kind of calm/ranked position. The next three will be waving a standard, kneeling with a horn, and throwing a spear, respectively. If they aren't more dynamic, you have full permission to shoot me :D

Any ideas for what to jazz up the back/stomach with? I'm really lost here :confused:

If there are no requests for what to sculpt next, I guess I'll keep doing my own thing....

p.s. that quote, it was inspired by The League of Gentlemen... if you haven't seen it already, do. Its awesome.

Nightsword
06-08-2008, 11:07
Yo, liking the orc! I think for the belly, maybe something like a gut plate a la Marauder kit/ogre kit? Since its a unit champion, I think maybe it being calm and stuff doesn't really suit an orcs nature, dare I say it but it looks a little rank and file *flees the scene*. Perhaps the one throwing the spear should be promoted? If not, then perhaps a full cloak for the back piece, or the armour plates like you suggested. An Orc champion should be badass, so should have the biggest, bestest weapons and armour which it, IMHO, doesn't have yet. My other concern is if the speartip is a little oversized. Feel free to shoot me if its not :D

As for suggestions for what to do next, maybe a daemonic herald? Aside from the special characters, there ain't no alternate models :)

Nice work

Layne in Spayne
06-08-2008, 11:56
I know! a big Chewbacca-style crossbow strapped over his back, with a bandolier-o-bolts to liven up the front. Maybe that would be difficult to cast though.

Khabuldashudeth
06-08-2008, 16:27
Ok, so... I flattened the spear [it was too fat, I was just going to leave it but I figure bad practice, so its done]. I added a gut plate and a belt, and another strap to the back. Maybe going to add a dagger as well.

I'm unsure as to whether I'll demote him. I'm going off my own vision of Orcs as opposed to WHFB/WoW/LoTR etc, and in the fluff I've written they were high men of the half-dwarven kind [as opposed to the half-elven Ctheltos]. There the calm discipline would be a virtue.
Also, he has the most armour I'd like to give any of the basic troopers. I want to show off their ritual scarring, so mainly bare chests. The biggest/best armour is for the Lords and Immortals... and I don't want to run out of ideas yet :o

On the other hand, I could make a larger champion, bellowing a challenge, and covered with scars... it'd let me put bits of armour on the other troops...

As for the herald idea, I like it; Daemons are my last ties to WHFB, being the only army I still collect. I'm tempted to do a 'generic wise magical bird type demon' [don't want to infringe copyright...] at the moment.

After the Orc, its my next big project. Ideas form already....;)

Nightsword
06-08-2008, 16:42
Glad to see I could be of service :) Beaky sounds interesting already ;)

As for the orc champion, at the end of the day, your the sculpter, so you should retain your vision. WHFB is the only game I play, so I can only relate to that in my head. I look forward to seeing the new improved champ.

Khabuldashudeth
06-08-2008, 16:52
and thank-you for your input :D

I will try to do a quick concept sketch later tonight, see what people think. But for now I must away to work.

See you all in a few hours, hopefully...

Yayale
06-08-2008, 19:29
To be fair they are your first orcs and you need to get used to sculpting them before going dynamic poses and the like. I think you should carry on with them a bit gradually getting a bit more adventurous. Maybe a few variants of standard troops that have a bit more motion. Then make a new champion and so on. I think it should be kept as a side long running project, as if you just focus on it you may get bored.

I like the daemon idea aswell :P

Khabuldashudeth
08-08-2008, 01:10
Yesterday, I went on somewhat of a spiritual journey.

That's right; I took a bit of time out, centrered my chi, and had a look down into the very depths of my being.

"What did you find?", I hear you ask. Well.

That I can't draw good concept art, for one. :D

So I'm going to give a brief description, and then get to sculpting. Its a bird headed daemon, with mulptiple limbs. It may or may not be adorned with fancy golden trinkets, carry books, or even be on fire. And I have ideas on how to make it weirder.

@Yayale - I've ran out of orc casts, so I'm going to from scratch again. I want at least 5 variants, maybe 7... and what better way to learn than to practice? ;)

HiveTrygon
09-08-2008, 07:27
Yesterday, I went on somewhat of a spiritual journey.

That's right; I took a bit of time out, centrered my chi, and had a look down into the very depths of my being.

"What did you find?", I hear you ask. Well.

That I can't draw good concept art, for one. :D

So I'm going to give a brief description, and then get to sculpting. Its a bird headed daemon, with mulptiple limbs. It may or may not be adorned with fancy golden trinkets, carry books, or even be on fire. And I have ideas on how to make it weirder.

@Yayale - I've ran out of orc casts, so I'm going to from scratch again. I want at least 5 variants, maybe 7... and what better way to learn than to practice? ;)
If you need more casts let me know and I'll get some out to you for practice. I'm just trying to hold out long enough to finish my orc and troll before updating the site with the new range. My new style has gotten so many people emailing me that when I replace things I plan to showcase your stuff next to mine so you get some sales. You know the drill I think. I hope the tip on the beard helped and I really want to see what you did with it. :evilgrin:

andyg2006
09-08-2008, 16:53
These are really nice indeed - keep up the great work!
About your orc...you could keep the basic shape, but maybe have him holding something in his left hand, e.g. another weapon (a cleaver)? Shrunken heads? Perhaps a pet Goblin/Squig-type creature? Or dragging a captive around by their hair?
AndyG.

Yayale
09-08-2008, 20:26
@Hive Tyragon could you please put another link to your website as my comp dtched all my favorites and im lazy and don't want to trawl through this thread again to find it lol. So when you say your new style do you mean sculpting or painting? Either's good really.

HiveTrygon
09-08-2008, 21:11
@Hive Tyragon could you please put another link to your website as my comp dtched all my favorites and im lazy and don't want to trawl through this thread again to find it lol. So when you say your new style do you mean sculpting or painting? Either's good really.

These are the new sculpts I'm doing.
http://trollsforge.com/wor/wb.html
I'm also going to be adding Khabuldashudeth's orc and imps soon along with a new store front which shall replace a lot of the older minis I sculpted. They will still be avaliable, just not showcased like Khabuldashudeth and my new stuff.
The actual home page is in my sig. ;)
The forum where you can give me and Khabuldashudeth more feedback or just throw around ideas we can look at possibly doing here:
http://trollsforge.proboards83.com/index.cgi?

Khabuldashudeth
09-08-2008, 22:27
These are really nice indeed - keep up the great work!
About your orc...you could keep the basic shape, but maybe have him holding something in his left hand, e.g. another weapon (a cleaver)? Shrunken heads? Perhaps a pet Goblin/Squig-type creature? Or dragging a captive around by their hair?
AndyG.

The 'free' hand now holds a shield :D I guess I should have made it clear I didn't intend to keep it like that. I'm making this guy a rank-and-file now I think, making the champ a bit more dynamic.

Thanks for the comment though, and as for the suggestions... I like the way you think ;) and the shrunken heads/cleaver are going on the real champ

HiveTrygon
09-08-2008, 22:32
The 'free' hand now holds a shield :D I guess I should have made it clear I didn't intend to keep it like that. I'm making this guy a rank-and-file now I think, making the champ a bit more dynamic.

Thanks for the comment though, and as for the suggestions... I like the way you think ;) and the shrunken heads/cleaver are going on the real champ

That miniature is perfect for rank and file and I think it is a very good idea. If you do one more with the spear being held slightly forward a pack of three would allow someone to make a very nice unit that would rank up well on top of it. ;) BTW, you never answered my question, do you need more orcs for working with?

Khabuldashudeth
09-08-2008, 23:10
Sorry! Didn't mean to ignore. I think I'm ok with the casts I have, I'm going to try sculpting more from scratch, practice keeping proportions right and a few more dynamic poses. Though a few shields wouldn't go amiss, I guess...

Yayale
10-08-2008, 18:17
ah so your troll forge lol. Well thanks for the links :D

Khabuldashudeth
14-08-2008, 00:12
Here's a Cockatrice, and a goodbye, for now :D

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/khabuldashudeth/cockatrice.jpg

Next week, I return anew, to create a bird-demon of an unnamed magic-god!

HiveTrygon
14-08-2008, 02:21
Here's a Cockatrice, and a goodbye, for now :D

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/khabuldashudeth/cockatrice.jpg

Next week, I return anew, to create a bird-demon of an unnamed magic-god!

That is nice, could make a good familiar or something as well.

Yayale
14-08-2008, 12:30
Yeah it's a pretty nice sculpt.

Khabuldashudeth
26-08-2008, 16:58
More stuff;

A wizard/druid I'm working on. Honestly one of my least favourite sculpts ever, but since I've started, I may as well finish.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/khabuldashudeth/druid.jpg

Skull on staff is being re-positioned when its dry, feathers and stones added round it. Ends of sleeves are being embellished, maybe a longer hood as well. Rope 'belt' needs to be finished, bottles/pouches need to be tied on, and I'd like a few stones and a scroll, but don't know where to put them.

I couldn't get a good front shot, so here is a back/side one and my plans;

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/khabuldashudeth/bird-demon.jpg

He's going to have fire running up his back, and it's going to be melting him. Front is kind of hollow, raw, twisted flesh being built up. 6 limbs; one with a book, one with a scroll, one with a quill [or dagger, whichever's best?], a leg, and a standard formed from a leg and an arm.

For the standard I want the leg and arm fused together, the standard top will be a skeletal hand with its fingers splayed apart, crowned with fire, and flesh dripping off. Quick sketch;

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/khabuldashudeth/claw-standard.jpg

I have two head ideas, a warped birdy and an egyptian-styled deathmask type thing.

And that's all for now. Comments/suggestions?

Nightsword
26-08-2008, 18:32
I have two head ideas, a warped birdy and an egyptian-styled deathmask type thing.

Why not have both? Cough *Kairos Spellweaver* Cough... Probably a little small for that though.

If you pull this off, my god, you'll be awesome and I'll want one.

I like the druid too. Reminds me of the Dark Emmisary.

Kyte
26-08-2008, 19:49
Please send the Cockatrice to Troll Forged as well. It's so insanely awsome that I want one for my personal commection!

Thanks

- Kyte

Yayale
26-08-2008, 19:53
don't beat yourself up it looks good, also the fire guy will look awesome!!! Is it from your own fluff or meant to be some sort of wizard?

I really need to get back on track with sculpting once I have the time, prob not a few weeks also actually buy a sculpting tool, a scalpel is kind of limiting!

HiveTrygon
26-08-2008, 21:16
Love this wizard we definately need to cast him up. Between me and you we will be able to replace all the old fantasy stuff of mine quickly and reorgainze the whole store very soon. I'm cutting more molds open tonight, 14 left! After that I'll begin the casting process. I hope to get a 3day weekend this week and will be able to get lots done.

Yayale
30-08-2008, 12:20
Could you possibly give a tutorial on mold making? obviously not in this thread though. The only one I found was make a frame from lego, half fill it with plastercene, press the mini into the plastercene then fill with silicon, turn upside down and remove plastercene then add silicon again.

You mention cutting molds open which sound to me like you cast one solid block then cut it in half, if so how do you get the model to stay central and not loose detail cutting it open?

Also if you had a site for buying casting materials that would be brilliant.

only a few questions lol

Khabuldashudeth
30-08-2008, 12:53
Troll Forged's mold making guide;

here (http://trollsforge.proboards83.com/index.cgi?board=wip&action=display&thread=69)

Yayale
31-08-2008, 12:22
ah how handy thnx

Khabuldashudeth
10-09-2008, 13:07
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/khabuldashudeth/djinni.jpg

I'll just leave this here.

Comments and suggestions welcome.

HiveTrygon
11-09-2008, 15:59
That's looking very good, gnawrly or creepy looking.

Nightsword
11-09-2008, 17:15
That's looking very good, gnawrly or creepy looking.

And that's just his avatar!

Ah K, great job as ever.

Khabuldashudeth
19-09-2008, 12:56
More pics! Plague imps!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/khabuldashudeth/imp2.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/khabuldashudeth/imp1.jpg

thoughts?

Kronos
19-09-2008, 13:27
absoloutley love the plague imps. would love to have some of them, but alas my sculpting goes as far as cover ups.

great job mate, and nice painting on them too.

Khabuldashudeth
19-09-2008, 13:40
absoloutley love the plague imps. would love to have some of them, but alas my sculpting goes as far as cover ups.

great job mate, and nice painting on them too.

Plague Imps - soon for sale at www.TrollsForge.com ;)

Thankyou for the comments, is appreciated muchly :)

Kronos
19-09-2008, 13:47
Good, definitly get some then, are they the only two or are there more, gonna need quite a few for nurglings.

Khabuldashudeth
19-09-2008, 13:51
Two at the moment, but if there's demand I can always make more ;)

Any ideas on what would be cool? I'm toying with the idea of large leech/maggot type creatures, to break up the humanoid ones... and one more humany one, stuffing his fat face....

Kronos
19-09-2008, 17:51
maggots would be cool, I've made some recently out of spawn bits (pics are in my log), but the current look is really cool i like how your sculpting the Imps, for suggestions i would say look at Nurgling art as it's probably the best inspiration for little plague daemons, however stay away from fly heads......but perhaps a cross between the bodies your making and then the heads ending in maggot/worm like teeth. Round rows of razor sharp teeth ontop of a "baby" looking corpse looks very threatening and eerie imo.

HiveTrygon
20-09-2008, 06:40
I'm waiting for slightly better pictures but when he gets them to me I'll have them up. Would work fantastic as a larger nurgleing in a mass swarm. Since these are resin they are very easy to chop up and convert. Cut the weapons off to make planaquine nurglings perhaps. ;)

Did I mention I sent him hound blanks for more hound options soon? I'm going to run one hell of a deal on a set of 5 when 3 more are ready. ;) 5 hounds for $25-30! :eek:

Yayale
20-09-2008, 17:52
Confusing us British with your dollars lol. Not sure how the dollar stands against the pound atm but a little while ago it was $2 to a pound so not a bad price at all. The imps look good painted, would be nice to see a few more varieties.

Khabuldashudeth
21-09-2008, 10:06
Here's a couple more pics, and an idea of scale;

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/khabuldashudeth/imp-full1.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/khabuldashudeth/imp-full2.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/khabuldashudeth/scalecomparison-imp.jpg

Will start work on a couple more very soon!

Kronos
21-09-2008, 10:33
I must say, seeing them now next to other Nurgle Daemons they go great with them, it keeps that concept of Nurgle yet retains a different look which is great.

Very Nice Khabuldashudeth, just realised the Imps look like a cross between Nurglings and Plague Bearers, almost like a "cross-breed" daemons.

Yayale
21-09-2008, 13:03
weird the pics arnt showing for me sob

HiveTrygon
21-09-2008, 19:18
weird the pics arnt showing for me sob

Here I know they will show from my page. Click the pictures for larger images:
http://trollsforge.com/demondevil/demon.html

I'm waiting for him to get me 3 more hounds and if he does do one more imp I'll get kits of 5hounds, and 3-6 imps. I think a imp sorta like the tunnel dweller would be cool. Imp body with a curled up magott torso. :evilgrin:

Yayale
22-09-2008, 17:54
They're showing now but thanx for the link anyway. tunnel dweller??? Sounds cool anyway having a maggot torso :D

Khabuldashudeth
24-09-2008, 01:16
Tunnel Dweller is a Heresy miniature. Its pretty cool too.

I have more Imps, camera troubles meant these were the only pics I could get;

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y47/khabuldashudeth/imp3an4.jpg

Done these in a couple of hours, its a maggot-tail one and a rotting baby. Baby's head doesn't look right in my eyes, so I may reposition.... and I'm thinking of adding more boils to maggot tail.

Thoughts?

Kronos
24-09-2008, 01:57
this may be a tad wierd but i'm really fond of that rotting baby plague imp, very creepy and perfect for a daemon. That tunnel dweller inspired imp is cool too, i think the imps will make wonderful stand ins for Nurglings or maybe even very small Heralds, i can see that baby imp being carried around in a crib like palanquin.

Good stuff mate, eerie, but cool!

Khabuldashudeth
24-09-2008, 02:09
Inspiration may have hit me in the face. I could make a not-nurgle-herald on a 25mm base, a rotting baby in a crib palanquin carried by 2-4 plague imps. Perhaps with a skull/mace rattle.... :D

Good idea? Bad idea?

Kronos
24-09-2008, 02:19
DO IT!, skull rattle, and more imps and a palanquin.....yes :)

maybe even a fly shaped bottle, full of Plague goodness ;)

Khabuldashudeth
24-09-2008, 02:29
You, sir, are a genius. :D

Nightsword
24-09-2008, 10:12
You two are twisted.

Kronos
24-09-2008, 11:02
You two are twisted.

maybe, but nurgle does treat his daemons like children, so why wouldn't his favoured be a baby carried on a crib...twisted...but in a good way....:skull:.

If you do make this Khabuldashudeth i will be waiting eagerly. I'm also waiting for the other imps to go on Troll forge so i can order a batch together :)

Nightsword
24-09-2008, 11:18
@ Kronus: Hopefully I've twisted K's arm on troll forged to draw us a concept :eek:

I really like the concept, in a twisted sort of way. Baby. Yum.

HiveTrygon
24-09-2008, 21:54
You two are twisted.

In a good way, I like the idea. :eek:

Kronos
24-09-2008, 23:01
ooh a small concept might wet my apetite on this.... any plans on what the crib like palanquin will look like Khabuldashudeth, was thinking maybe something along the lines of a rib cage shape...maybe with th boarding made looking like intestines....making the palanquin look more organic like....almost as if the baby daemon hasn't moved from what ever creature gave birth to it (ie the palanquin was the daemons birth parent/daemon)....or is that a tad too much :confused:

Khabuldashudeth
25-09-2008, 00:33
That's nuts.... wish I'd thought of it sooner. I've started the palanquin itself, insofar as its a few wooden boards. Not got a pic I'm afraid :( but the idea was a platform on sticks, with spiked metal around the back, rat pelts for the baby to sit on, some skulls and bones and tattered cloth hanging under it. Imps carrying the platform.

Its up to you guys though, scrap the first idea? Try both?

The imp 'bearers' could go so far as having poles that either have a wooden platform on top, or an impaled creature, depending on which the buyer prefers?

Kronos
25-09-2008, 00:43
hmm that sounds good, i like the rat pelt idea, suits the theme of disease and pestilence, and thinking of it now a rib cage palanquin would be a nightmare to paint so the baby daemon would stand out. But in all honesty it's up to you... you are the sculpting it :D

As for the Imps carrying it, when you say Impaled does that mean it will be through their backs/mouths etc. ?

Also i forgot to ask, the baby imp on the palanquin, will he be the same one from the previous pic ?

The image i have in my head so far is quite grisly....and i need to get to sleep soon...sculpt a butterfly or something too just to take my mind off :p

Khabuldashudeth
25-09-2008, 01:15
I have since modified the one from the previous pic; its head was too small, so i cut it off and replaced it. I also removed a few spikes and added a few boils. Changed the position of a few maggots. I think I will use it though. Might put a fly on its shoulder too.

As for the impaled, I meant the palanquin be the impaled creature, on the spears of the imp bearers... if that makes sense?

I only hope I can live up to the grisly expectations :D

Kronos
25-09-2008, 01:25
I only hope I can live up to the grisly expectations :D

It's a dead decaying demon baby being carried around by demons...the ship for grisly expectations has sailed off, set to shore and returned :p

and i get you now about the imapled creature..sounds awesome.

also you mentioned before the palanquin and the bearers will be mounts on a 25 mm base, does that mean the imps carrying the palanquin will by sort of stuck together like the nurglings on epidemus' palanquin ?

Khabuldashudeth
25-09-2008, 01:39
There will be 4 bearers, so no need for them to be all stuck together. I'm not fond of Epidemius' Nurglings anyway...

The whole thing should be about man-sized, heightwise.... hell, you could put the palanquin on another palanquin, should you wish :p

Kronos
25-09-2008, 01:45
thats why i asked about the Nurglings, as much as i like epidemius, the big donut which make his nurglings just looks wrong, they look uniform almost, would have rather seen the palanquin being carried by 3-4 plaguebearers or just a few nurglings instead a slug like mass....enough of the rant good to hear your going for the solo look :)

Yayale
25-09-2008, 19:36
Sounds like it will be awesome I will definitely be awaiting pics of this beauty???

HiveTrygon
27-09-2008, 22:28
I have 100% faith it will be up to standard as I've seen the bird demon in all his grizzly horror! I'm so excited as to the style and things your filling. They are so strange yet wonderful, remind me of confrontation sculpts, which is as high of a compliment as you can get IMO. ;)

Nightsword
28-09-2008, 00:06
Skull child is wic-ked. Nice work K.