PDA

View Full Version : BSB and equipment selection

azindal
07-12-2007, 20:13
This has come up a few time's recently and i was wondering if you could shed some light on it.

Can a BSB take mundane weapons?
If yes can he take a Gw?

As it has no mention of the limitations in the HE book other than Magical restrictions.
I also cant find it in the WHFRB either.

Cheers guys

marv335
07-12-2007, 20:26
it depends on which army you are in.
for HE you can have anything you like (barring magical stuff if you're using a magic banner)

azindal
07-12-2007, 20:29
it depends on which army you are in.
for HE you can have anything you like (barring magical stuff if you're using a magic banner)

Yeh it was in reguards to HE's
I thought this was the case but i have been advised otherwise

Cheers marv

theunwantedbeing
07-12-2007, 20:29
If there are no given restrictions then he has no restrictions on what he can take.
You go off what is said in the armybook, not the rulebook if there is a conflict in rules.

The HE book currently has no restrictions on what equiptment your battle standard bearer may be given as far as I am aware.(other than the magic item restrictions that battle standard bearers follow anyway).

marv335
07-12-2007, 20:53
other armies have restrictions, High Elves do not.

Crazy Harborc
08-12-2007, 03:28
Well, after spending some time checking it out late last night.......It is not a "no can do" for a HE BSB to have a great weapon and or a shield while holding a Armie's standard......Oh...I know, I know....the HE's BSB has three arms to hold all that while in HtH.:p I know, I know it's fantasy all Elves are hiding a third arm:D

Atrahasis
08-12-2007, 03:34
No on ehas ever had a problem with unit standard bearers swinging great weapons and flags at the same time, so it boggles the mind as to why they would have such problems with BSBs doing the same.

Bolter Bait
08-12-2007, 04:01
*edit* :o Hmm, apparently I was a lazy reader last night. My apologies to Crazy Harborc, though I blame double negatives for my confusion. *edit*

The only restrictions on a HE BSB are that they cannot have other magic items if they take a magic standard and that they can never be the army General.

HE can have a BSB with a 1+ rerollable Armour Save, a 5+ Ward, immunity to any flaming attacks (mount, barding, dragon armour, shield, Helm of Fortune, Guardian Phoenix) with 3 Str 6 attacks on the charge with a lance. How's that for a well protected BSB (oh wait, can't Empire do something very similar to that with their BSB equipped with full plate)?

Or the HE BSB can go with the idea that the best defense is a good offense and, by striking first with the best attacks, clear alway all threats by slogging along on foot with a great weapons (hey, just like a Black Orc standard banner, minus the ASF thing).

Welcome to the future of BSBs - useful additions to the army that don't completely sacrifice all ability to be useful beyond the BSB special rule.

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
08-12-2007, 06:09
There, I fixed your statement with a quick edit.

The only restrictions on a HE BSB are that they cannot have other magic items if they take a magic standard and that they can never be the army General.

HE can have a BSB with a 1+ rerollable Armour Save, a 5+ Ward, immunity to any flaming attacks (mount, barding, dragon armour, shield, Helm of Fortune, Guardian Phoenix) with 3 Str 6 attacks on the charge with a lance. How's that for a well protected BSB (oh wait, can't Empire do something very similar to that with their BSB equipped with full plate)?

Or the HE BSB can go with the idea that the best defense is a good offense and, by striking first with the best attacks, clear alway all threats by slogging along on foot with a great weapons (hey, just like a Black Orc standard banner, minus the ASF thing).

Welcome to the future of BSBs - useful additions to the army that don't completely sacrifice all ability to be useful beyond the BSB special rule.

Uh... I'm not sure why you quoted Crazy Harborc, he said that are not banned from using great weapons and or a shiled while holding the army's Battle Standard. He was mostly commenting, I think, on the idea that some people have that BSB cannot use two-handed weapons or a hand weapon and a shield becasue they are carrying the army's Battle Standard. But thank you for the clarification as to exactly what they can carry.