PDA

View Full Version : Crysis Disaster !

Ravenheart
08-12-2007, 00:52
So my copy of Crysis arrived to day.

As soon as I put it in the dvd drive, desaster struck. Here is the problem rundown, one by one:

1. Insert DVD; the crysis autostart menu pops up, with the options to instal, play, update, unistall, and so on.

When I click any of the buttons, NOTHING happens. It doesn't even exit by clicking on 'exit' or the window 'x'.

2. I managed to install the game through the setup in the DVD directory.
No problems there.

There is a strange observation though: Crysis only takes ~6GB of space on my hard drive, even though the requirements on the CD package say 12GB.

3. When I double click the icon to run the game, the screen turns black, and it starts loading. Black screen ... I left it for severaly minutes, but there is still the same old black screen.
I hit enter, and windows tells me, that Crysis isn't reacting and will be closed.

My graphic and sound drivers are all up to date.

4. When I try to repair or uninstall Crysis with it's own setup menu, the whole procedure crashes. I had to unistall it with the windows programm control.

An new installation didn't help one bit . . .

Any advice?

Notebook specs:
Asus G1S
Duo2 Core 2.2
2 GB ram
GeForce 8600M GT

WLBjork
08-12-2007, 09:29
Most likely you have a dud disc. Get it replaced and see if it works then.

Other possible problems are:

Shared memory - your graphics card is using part of your RAM, making it inadequate to run the game

Mobile chipset - the 8600M isn't as powerful as a desktop 8600, meaning you can't run Crysis.

bdo
09-12-2007, 06:33
latest drivers? i take it then, that it is the 169.04 beta driver (http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_169.09.html)?

Ravenheart
09-12-2007, 20:42
Most likely you have a dud disc. Get it replaced and see if it works then.

Might be. I will get a friends disc, and see if that one works.

Shared memory - your graphics card is using part of your RAM, making it inadequate to run the game

How do I find out or rather fix that problem?

Mobile chipset - the 8600M isn't as powerful as a desktop 8600, meaning you can't run Crysis.

Hardly, Crysis can be run on weaker graphic cards. And besides, I'm running UT3 and Bioshock on (very) high details without problems. Crysis isn't should at least run at medium.

latest drivers? i take it then, that it is the 169.04 beta driver?

I tried 169.01; 169.4 and 169.9 without noticable difference.

The main problem lies in the start up procedure, as far as I noticed.

I succeded to start it once, after a very long series of 'start up - ctrl+alt+delete - start again'.
It took a few dozend tries until it worked, something I won't want to do every time.
I had a simmilar problem with Bioshock, but that game worked after 3 or 4 tries, so it was berable.

Any ideas or simmilar occurances?

WLBjork
10-12-2007, 07:45
Hmm, so your graphics card should be ok.

Shared memory isn't as much of a problem nowadays, but to be sure, check all tabs in the "Display Properties". There may be a slider there to allow you to increase/decrease the amount of RAM dedicated to your graphics card - if so, this is shared memory, and can mean for example that you have 1.75GB RAM being used as RAM and 0.25GB RAM being used as video RAM, which weakens the system overall.

Mr. Shine
10-12-2007, 13:06
I doubt that RAM or Video Card will be causing the problem. I would first make sure you've got all the latest drivers and updates for your computer. I'm not sure what could be causing the problem, but certainly make sure you've got the latest display drivers and DirectX etc.

Steven Tarise
10-12-2007, 13:18
Go to the Crysis folder in Windows, and open Bin32. Try the Crysis.exe from there. The shortcuts default to the Bin64 path (the 64 bit exe file), and there seems to be problems with that so far. The 32 bit one will operate exactly the same, and some people who can get both to work have seen slightly (only very) better frames under the 32 bit version.

Ravenheart
10-12-2007, 23:12
The Crysis .exe in the bin32 directory didn't work either, unfortunately.

Today I installed World in Conflict, and it had simmilar problems like Crysis thout much less severe. It started after about 3 attempts, just like Bioshock. They work prefectly once they start though.

There is an interessting corrolation: all three of those games require 1GB RAM minimum (1.5GB in case of Vista), all the other games that can run with less, have no starting problems. So it'could really be a RAM-issue.

I was planing to upgrade the notebook to 4GB ram eventually anyway. Let's see if that solves the issue.

Kordos
11-12-2007, 03:51
something else it might be - all three games use the same copyright protection (securom v7) see here under known problems - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SecuROM#_note-1

Ravenheart
11-12-2007, 13:49
something else it might be - all three games use the same copyright protection (securom v7) see here under known problems - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SecuROM#_note-1

Hmm ... I don't have that Prozess Explorer running (at least I not intentionally) but there might be difficulties with other background programms running.

Is there any way to find this incompatibilities and work around this problem?

Getting shafted by security protection on legaly bought games sucks big time.

Kordos
11-12-2007, 20:16
Hmm ... I don't have that Prozess Explorer running (at least I not intentionally) but there might be difficulties with other background programms running.

Is there any way to find this incompatibilities and work around this problem?

Getting shafted by security protection on legaly bought games sucks big time.

unfortunately I cant help you there, is there another computer you can try your games on ? so you can find out if it is a problem with the disks.

how old is your laptop ? does it have lots of unneeded programs on it ? - another thing it could be is that your laptop is full of bloatware (all the unnecessary but resource intensive programs that come preinstalled on most laptops) these would cut into your 2 gig of ram slowing down your computer

Ravenheart
11-12-2007, 20:55
Awesomness! I was looking for a way to solve the securom problem, and found a modified .exe file on the i-net. It's still a bit unstabile at times, but it starts without problems. Ah, wonders of the internet! :D

Many thanks a lot for the advice Krodos!

There is still some bloatware around to get rid of. But the 2 extra GB of ram are underway and with some overclocking Crysis will run just fine.

Again, thanks to everyone who helped.

bdo
12-12-2007, 06:12
no problem, even if i didnīt do much :angel:

just one thing: i really recommend to play this game on difficulty hard (that is, if you are generally confident with first person shooters - like many others, i played these games since the release of castle wolfenstein. but then again that prooves nothing). you wonīt be able to play it the all-guns-blazing-all-bullets-bounce-of-me on hard, but it will really increase the playtime and pretty trivial obstacles turn out to be in fact challenging...

my 2 pieces of meat (index finger & thumb) :angel: