PDA

View Full Version : Catachans

marneus54
08-12-2007, 06:01
Just wondering if there was any news or updates on my Catachans.
I'm making a 3000 point gaurd force and really like the idea of jungle fighters and such. Any pointers are much appreciated.
I will be making a 3000 point list tonight and will post the thread tomorrow, I'll add the link to this thread to make it easier ;).
Thanks,
Marn

the1stpip
08-12-2007, 09:41
No. There are rumours of a new Guard codex, but I don't think there will ever be another Codex Catachans.

empireguard
08-12-2007, 13:59
The Catachan Codex is still legal. You just have to use it as a pure Catachan army no mix and matching like before.

centy
08-12-2007, 14:15
shame realy

Ko Improbable
08-12-2007, 15:15
shame realy

I quite agree. Variant Imperial Guard codices are something I'd love to see again, but I'm not holding my breath since only Space Marines get any real attention anymore.
If nothing else, the big... er Originating Worlds.. deserve some sort of special attention. Maybe like new Doctrines that *only* Cadians can have, for example. At the very least, they should make special doctrines for arctic and desert warfare for the Valhallans and Tallarn, respectively. I mean, I can't believe that Valhallans are no better at using arctic terrain to their advantage than any very cold and unhappy Tallarns that may have gotten dumped into and arctic world.

Tallarn: Our regiment is camped...
Valhallan: ..over that hill, yes, we know.
Tallarn: How can you tell?
Valhallan: You've got six thousand sets of teeth chattering over there. *Everyone* knows where your regiment is.

Imperialis_Dominatus
09-12-2007, 12:32
Well, first off, anyone who'd dump Tallarn regiments or similar on a frostworld is an incompetent... specialized regiments do best in thier element. They can perform elsewhere, but if you take them into something anathema to them... it'll be tougher.

Second, even if I was a tightfisted Administratus miser I'd never dare to send Tallarn regiments to an ice world in their desert gear. I'd just assume they've been provided adequate (if not perfect) protection.

marneus54
09-12-2007, 19:18
Ok i finally got it up. It's only 2600 points so please any suggestions to plop some guys anywhere would help.

http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117245

Culven
09-12-2007, 21:30
Well, first off, anyone who'd dump Tallarn regiments or similar on a frostworld is an incompetent... specialized regiments do best in thier element. They can perform elsewhere, but if you take them into something anathema to them... it'll be tougher.
Second, even if I was a tightfisted Administratus miser I'd never dare to send Tallarn regiments to an ice world in their desert gear. I'd just assume they've been provided adequate (if not perfect) protection.
Have you happened to read "Fifteen Hours"? Good example of how well the logistics folks do their jobs.

Some guy (UK)
09-12-2007, 22:52
Of course, there's that Catchan Standard Bearer that was never released (see relavent thread in Rumour Round up). Nice model too.

llama rider
10-12-2007, 03:44
YES
i thought i was the only one to play them
my pointers? use the pdf codex on the catachans page because while it lacks tanks its got great infantry
and use colonel iron hand straken because he is great and he allows catachan devils to be taken as troops
then take as many catachan devils squads as you like
they are great if you give them all officers and cc and such

marneus54
10-12-2007, 04:31
I bought the book when it was released. I didn't think they would be going down hill and would whind up being a pdf list :cries:. Kinda degrading.
I just love em cause it reminds me of nam stuff. :D

Culven
10-12-2007, 15:24
I bought the book when it was released. I didn't think they would be going down hill and would whind up being a pdf list :cries:. Kinda degrading.
I just love em cause it reminds me of nam stuff. :D
The PDF is actually an update of the Catachan codex, with a few minor changes to clarify the rules for use in fourth edition and the elimination of the option to include Catachans in an IG army. I was actually quite happy that GW chose to update the codex and release it as a PDF rather than waiting for them to reprint the book. Also, since the PDF was posted after the release of the latest IG codex, it helps keep those who think the Catachan codex is no longer valid quiet. ;)

Mithril
10-12-2007, 19:23
if you don't want to mess around with the Catachan PDF codex, you can always "fake it" by running the Catachans from the Imperial Guard Codex, using the Jungle Fighters and Light Infantry Doctrines.

take lots of Sentinals and Hardened Vetrans Squads instead of Stormtroopers and Tanks, and you get the same Catachan feel without worrying over if your army will be legal at a tournament because it uses a PDF codex.

marneus54
10-12-2007, 19:44
Sweet thanks I will be printing that out now. :D

Imperialis_Dominatus
10-12-2007, 22:16
Have you happened to read "Fifteen Hours"? Good example of how well the logistics folks do their jobs.

I keep away from Black Library on principle.

marneus54
11-12-2007, 01:14
Quick question: reading the chapter approved 04 edition, there are edits on Staken and using devils as troops. Can I still use them in the PDF version? my computer won't download it for some reason.

Culven
11-12-2007, 02:51
Yes, the PDF is almost identical to the codex book. The only differences are not being able to include Deathworld Veteran units in IG armies, some minor wording changes, and clarification that the 0-1 restriction on Devils is removed if Straken is commanding.

marneus54
11-12-2007, 17:54
Hmmm might sound like my next army right after orks...hmmmm

EVIL INC
11-12-2007, 18:01
Tallarn: Our regiment is camped...
Valhallan: ..over that hill, yes, we know.
Tallarn: How can you tell?
Valhallan: You've got six thousand sets of teeth chattering over there. *Everyone* knows where your regiment is.
Sorry to interrupt. I just thought this was really funny. :p

marneus54
12-12-2007, 04:22
I laughed too. :D