PDA

View Full Version : 60GB PS3 no longer available?

Norminator
08-12-2007, 12:23
I was thinking about finally stumping up and getting a PS3 sometime in the new year (probably around February time with some birthday money). However, I've been doing a bit of searching on the Internet to see what the current price is for the 60GB version (as backwards compatibility is quite important to me). To my surprise though, virtually no where seems to sell them anymore; Amazon only has ones for over 500, Tesco direct are out of stock, Game.co.uk have none, and Play.com only have three available. Has the 60gb been discontinued in favour of the newer version (which is not backwards compatible)? If so, whilst that is cheaper, it's a pain for me, as I'll have to keep my PS2 kicking around if I ever want to go back to GTA: SA or my other games.

Anyone know anything about it?

Notorius
08-12-2007, 12:36
Yeah, Sony ditched it and none of the new PS3s are going to have backwards compatability for the forseeable future either.

Lardidar
08-12-2007, 13:20
It has been ditched .... it was the tipping point that moved me to 360.

A month on and I don't regret it.

You will still be able to get them from some places but you will now be paying a 'rare' markup.

god octo
08-12-2007, 15:13
Yeap, the backwards computability was removed from all the later set ups. I'm having exactly the same problem as you- I want a 60GB PS3, but there are none on the internet. My only suggestion is to physically go into all the console selling shops nearby and ask if they have an 60Gb PS3 left over.

Norminator
08-12-2007, 17:57
Other than the smaller hard-drive and no backwards compatibility, are there any other inferiorities with the 40gb version?

Kaze
08-12-2007, 18:10
Less USB connections and IIRC no Memory Stick entries (though I can't confirm that one).

TheBigBadWolf
08-12-2007, 18:22
Does it not ditch the wireless capabilities aswell.
Sony never ceases to amaze me with its ideas.
Lets take our console and make it worse that will make more people buy it

Lardidar
08-12-2007, 22:37
It is still wireless,

The soon to come 20GB version will ditch wireless though ....

Sgt John Keel
09-12-2007, 22:41
Other than the smaller hard-drive and no backwards compatibility, are there any other inferiorities with the 40gb version?

In addition to those already mentioned, it can't play SACDs either. But the power draw is lower.

The soon to come 20GB version will ditch wireless though ....

Yet another SKU?

/Adrian

Kaze
09-12-2007, 23:27
The 20GB is available since day one. I believe, for the EU launch, Sony ditched the SKU as it didn't have any success in sales.

The Orange
10-12-2007, 01:42
Yea it was something like a 10 to 1 sale rate between the 60 and 20 GB versions I think.

Brimstone
10-12-2007, 05:13
Less USB connections and IIRC no Memory Stick entries (though I can't confirm that one).

Not really a problem not much use for them anyway.

As for the hard drive if you're finding it too small just swap it out, I did and now have a 160GB PS3.

Loss of backwards compatibility is a bitch though.

Jedi152
10-12-2007, 07:55
It has been ditched .... it was the tipping point that moved me to 360.
Agreed. I think that hearing that is what's just tipped me to the 360.

But for now i'm getting a slimline ps2 though i think. Cheap, and i've still got a ton of games i want to play on it.

Norminator
10-12-2007, 09:44
Not really a problem not much use for them anyway.

As for the hard drive if you're finding it too small just swap it out, I did and now have a 160GB PS3.

Loss of backwards compatibility is a bitch though.

How easy/expensive is it to swap out the hard-drive? And how much memory would you use up - do you save films on there, or are the save files really big?

Kaze
10-12-2007, 10:07
Nominator:

- The expensiveness is the one of a normal hard drive (i believe it uses the 2.5'' ones).
- As for the easiness, I haven't done it myself. But from the guides and videos available throughout the web, I'd say it only takes a few minutes to complete the operation.
- As for the file sizes... well, installing all games you have, downloading HD trailers and a few demos can take up some storage. If you add your personal music library to it, then even 60GB may appear to be little space.
From my experience: you won't be watching the same trailers over and over again (you'll delete them after a while), so up until now, 60GB provide me with all I want (I have around 22GB worth of trailers, install files, demos, themes and save files).

Brimstone
10-12-2007, 13:03
How easy/expensive is it to swap out the hard-drive? And how much memory would you use up - do you save films on there, or are the save files really big?

It's very easy, IIRC 4 or 5 screws and about 5 minutes (as long as you have the correct drive) there are plenty of online how-to's showing you what to do.

As to HD usage I think I've downloaded everysingle demo/movie file from the PS store without deleting any and those along with my save files use about 15GB.
What I haven't done yet is put much music on (don't see the point in that at the moment).

So depending on what you want to use it for 40GB is plenty currently IMO.

Kaze
10-12-2007, 14:48
What I haven't done yet is put much music on (don't see the point in that at the moment).

I second that for another reason: don't know if it works with IPods, but I can just plug my Sony Walkman in there and play the musics stored in it directly from the PS3, so it's some space you'll save in your HD.

Typheron
10-12-2007, 15:30
does addng a new Hard drive do anything to your warrenty?

Gue'la Koholic
10-12-2007, 16:58
I wouldn't imagine that taking the hard drive would void the warranty...how could they even tell unless you did a horrid job and used a circular saw to take it out... It's ungodly simple, although I thought it had to be formatted in FAT32, which would limit the effective size of the drive stuffed in there. Brim, care to enlighten me on that front?

If I remember right, the 80 GB PS3 still has everything the same, it's just more expensive for the extra drive space. I've got one of the old 20 GB PS3s, with the wireless/backwards compatability/USB ports/yada yada. I really think the ability to play PS2 games is important. Too bad I can't use my old Guitar Hero controller though.

Brimstone
10-12-2007, 17:28
The PS3 took care of all of the formatting so I've got no idea.

I'd also agree that it probably doesn't void the warranty.

Gue'la Koholic
10-12-2007, 19:16
I did a quick google search, and I may be mistaken about the FAT32 limit applying to the PS3. That must be a nice little easter egg that Microsoft left for me in XP, limiting volume sizes to ~125 GB. Microsoft limiting functionality FTW!

Either way, I really like how Sony decided to do this with the drives. It's a lot better then that propriety piece of crap jammed onto the side of a 360. Too bad Sony forgot to get games released for the PS3.

The_Outsider
10-12-2007, 19:22
Too bad Sony forgot to get games released for the PS3.

To each their own, though I disagree.

To be honest the 40gig PS3's only suffer due to no ps2 backwards compatability (it will still play ps1 games as thats entiely software based and has been for every ps3 made).

The fact that replacing the hard drive is easy (and you are told how to do it in the manual) makes it awfull fun for use as a media centre on your TV.

I keep meaning to get a 250 gig HD so I can keep all my HD video on it and the rest of the crap I have floating about.

Gue'la Koholic
10-12-2007, 22:01
Don't get me wrong, I love my PS3. I just don't currently love the "wide" selection of "quality" PS3 games available. The few games that have come out for the PS3 that are good are exceptionally good. Heavenly Sword is still my standard for cinematic next-gen gaming. Ratchet and Clank looks unbelievable. Unfortunately, those two are about the only two games I have loved so far. I give it a year or so, and it should be better. I should be tired of Halo 3 on Live by then.

Kaze
10-12-2007, 22:39
Gue'la, have you looked at Uncharted? If you like Ratchet and HS, I definetly recommend it to you. I'm halfway through it and till the moment, looks stunning, has awesome, yet simple, gameplay (combining elements from Tomb Raider and Gears of War) and a very cool story. The game's problem: it's terribly addictive.

Give it a try. If you liked those two, I bet you'll not be disappointed.

RavenMorpheus
10-12-2007, 22:57
If they have discontinued the 60gb one and nerfed the backwards compatability then that's a real bad mistake by Sony imo, for us gamers anyway, obviously not financially for Sony cos they'll make more $ selling new games that way.

Anyway I gave up waiting for a new version of Gran Turismo to come out and moved over to the 360 so I could play Forza 2. That and the PS3 is extortionately expensive...

Sgt John Keel
11-12-2007, 03:06
The 20GB is available since day one. I believe, for the EU launch, Sony ditched the SKU as it didn't have any success in sales.

I know, it is only available in Japan, but that is not what Lardidar suggested.

It's ungodly simple, although I thought it had to be formatted in FAT32, which would limit the effective size of the drive stuffed in there.

Yes. The effective size limit on a FAT32 drive is 8 Terabyte. However, what is far more limiting is the file size limit of 4GB.

I did a quick google search, and I may be mistaken about the FAT32 limit applying to the PS3. That must be a nice little easter egg that Microsoft left for me in XP, limiting volume sizes to ~125 GB.

The 127 GB maximum is, as far as I know, not the fault of Windows, or even Microsoft, but rather of the BIOS or the IDE controller. It can be fixed with a firmware update. (It also applies to a few models of [Open Firmware] Powermac G4s, so it's not a Windows fault.

If they have discontinued the 60gb one and nerfed the backwards compatability then that's a real bad mistake by Sony imo, for us gamers anyway, obviously not financially for Sony cos they'll make more $ selling new games that way.

Weekly sales are still generally up since the release of the 40GB model. Perhaps not all gamers place backwards compatibility that high on their list.

/Adrian

Kaze
11-12-2007, 07:37

Anyway I gave up waiting for a new version of Gran Turismo to come out and moved over to the 360 so I could play Forza 2. That and the PS3 is extortionately expensive...

In terms of money it's not that a big deal. If you buy a PS2 and a 40GB PS3 you're roughly paying the same as a 60GB PS3.

Your obsession with Gran Turismo quite amuses me Raven :) Do you know now it has car damage? :evilgrin:

Gue'la Koholic
11-12-2007, 16:05
I recall reading a Windows Alert regarding the file system limit on FAT32, and I thought they conveniently forgot to blame the firmware, and call it a file system limitation, which is standard Microsoft operating procedure for not blaming themselves. But it being a limitation of the IDE controller wouldn't surprise me either. Maybe next time, I won't get the cheapo Asian mobo that has zero firmware support/updates. My bad.

As for weekly sales, you do know there's a holiday around the corner, right? All sales across the board are up. Granted, Sony will spin this to their advantage, but I'd say the sales spike is due more to rich Grandma getting little Billy his Christmas present.

I'll look into Uncharted.

Brimstone
11-12-2007, 16:40
I'll look into Uncharted.

There is a demo on the sony store for download.

RavenMorpheus
11-12-2007, 19:39
In terms of money it's not that a big deal. If you buy a PS2 and a 40GB PS3 you're roughly paying the same as a 60GB PS3.

Your obsession with Gran Turismo quite amuses me Raven :) Do you know now it has car damage? :evilgrin:

No not just GT - any racing "sims", I've played em all, Toca, Ayrton Sennas Monaco GP, WTCC, GTR etc.

GT has damage now? Hmm shame the PS3 is ever so slightly overpriced still by about 100. I'll stick to my 360 and Forza 2 thanks. :)