PDA

View Full Version : RavenMorpheus goes Live

RavenMorpheus
08-12-2007, 15:28
Ok so RavenMorpheus has his Vodafone 3G USB Modem and he's hooked it up to his Xbox 360...

But I'm having problems, so I come here to seek the wisdom of the Warseer techies :)

I've now got 2 profiles, and my Forza 2 game with Driver Level 50 and 2mil cr in the bank is on the profile I had before I setup Live...

So question 1 is how do I get my Forza 2 stuff I've got - paint jobs, setups, save logos etc onto my new profile so I can use them online?

I'm running my 360 through my laptop which has the USB modem plugged into it.

Now I know as a rule you should always have a 3rd party firewall and virus/spyware/malware defender app running because the M$ ones are *****, so the 2nd question is - do I need to have those running when I've got my Xbox 360 online, is my PC or even my 360 come to think of it still open for attack when I've got no browsers open and only my 360 connected?

Thanks in advance, as usual, for any help/advice :)

And and err I don't want to sound like a smart ass but whoever said in my thread in Random Musings I wouldn't be able to play games via my USB modem is wrong - I played Forza 2 online on my 360 this afternoon, and I've been playing DoW DC online all week as well :p

Typheron
08-12-2007, 16:43
you should be able to save your paint jobs to one of the x-360 memory sticks you get and transfer it, however a lot of stuff is profile specific.

You may not be able to transfer your game status from one to another, but if you can (possable by importing saved games) then its via those memory things.

Gue'la Koholic
10-12-2007, 17:18
A browser being open doesn't actually make you vulnerable. A browser being pointed at a site with malware/adware/other net garbage does.

As long as your computer is on, it is vulnerable without a firewall. If you're running a firewall that only filters http packets, ISS desktop comes to mind, then it won't do anything for Live. If you're running a full spectrum firewall to lockdown all unused ports, then there's no reason to turn it off. Good rule of thumb - if you don't need it turned off, then don't turn it off. If it's causing problems for Live or operations, then take the measures to turn it off. I don't know of any 360 exploits, but I'm behind a NAT, so I don't worry.

Long explanation of leaving your firewall on at all times: Web hacks/port 80 stuff is just one avenue of attack from the internet. Microsoft, in their infinite wisdom, likes to turn things like NetBIOS and other mostly useless MS stuff on by default. You can turn these services off, or you block access to them, via firewalls. Your computer can get infected/attacked/what have you even if it's just sitting on, connected to the internet, because you may have open ports at the time. You don't have to be doing anything at all. Also, make sure your firewalls/defenders are up to date as well, as even they can pose a security threat. The only 100% effective ways to keep the machine safe is to either unplug the network cable or turn it off. Those aren't very fun though. Also, NATs will eliminate most, non-Web based threats. If you have a router at home plugged into cable modem, you're probably already used a NAT, without even knowing. Most of those cheapo Linksys/D-Link routers are actually NATs with limited routing capabilities.

RavenMorpheus
10-12-2007, 20:34
Yep that's what I thought, I'm sitting behind Norton Internet Security 2007 and AVG Anti-Virus so I'll leave them on if they don't cause any problems.

Thanks for the advice :)

Typheron
10-12-2007, 20:54
Norton Internet Security 2007 - that probably will, it can be overly tight on things, you may wanna go thorugh its setting to reduce its severity.

RavenMorpheus
10-12-2007, 21:04
Yeah if I knew what I was doing I would, this whole ports open/closed, firewall blocks this that and the other thing confuses the hell out of me, I learn't my IT skills back in the day of Windows 3.1 when the "net" hadn't even been introduced to the mass population and was still pretty much a "geek/underground" thing...

Gue'la Koholic
10-12-2007, 21:56
Well, generally, you'd want to keep all ports closed, but that will seriously limit your internet experience. Most desktop firewalls these days can be selective, so you can turn it on for certain packet types only. I'm overly anal when it comes to security, mostly because I can do bad things over networks.

I don't know anything in regards to Xbox Live networks, as in what ports it uses, but I'm assuming you turned on port forwarding through the laptop. So it may have problems with the firewall. But if it's working, then it's working.

RavenMorpheus
10-12-2007, 22:35
Nope I didn't turn port forwarding on.

Saturday when I was on Live I only had AVG running, well that and the M$ firewall. I've only just got Norton, my laptop died at 1am Saturday night - think it got a boot sector virus because I got the BSCOD and then it wouldn't startup I had to use the recovery disks.

Hence the reason I now have Norton, but I think I'll turn Norton off in the options as it was causing problems with DoW DC a short while ago but I turned Norton off and it worked fine online - well apart from the fact I have trouble connecting to games but I think that's more to do with my lack of signal on my Vodafone USB HSPDA modem than anything because I can get into games sometimes but not all the time...

Anyway thanks again for the advice I'll see how it goes this weekend :)