PDA

View Full Version : The shame of the wii zapper

TheBigBadWolf
08-12-2007, 17:21
Did anyone get one of these abominations.

I just got the zapper and links training for 19.99, and I have to say it is the worst design for a light gun ever.

I thought nintendo would have learned after the super scope.
I mean come on how is a left or right handed person going to play comfortably, the trigger handle either way should be behind the other. Its simple ergonomics, have you ever seen a gun made this way.

I have a fair few light guns and games, they should have made it similar to the dream gun, where the wii mote would have sat above the nuchuk and a trigger brought down.

I think they realised how bad the design is when the other suggestion for holding is to remove the nunchuk and hold it like standard.

I would challenge anyone to tell me that it is a good design.

As for Links game its ok but short and the zapper aids to the game not a bit.

RavenMorpheus
08-12-2007, 17:29
So it's a gimmick then?

The best light guns I ever saw imo were the Light Gun versions of a Berreta 92F and a Desert Eagle, both pistols, both had recoil actions and both were brilliant - o'course you couldn't really carry them anywhere in plain sight as they looked like a propper gun but they were good imo.

TheBigBadWolf
08-12-2007, 17:37
So it's a gimmick then?

The best light guns I ever saw imo were the Light Gun versions of a Berreta 92F and a Desert Eagle, both pistols, both had recoil actions and both were brilliant - o'course you couldn't really carry them anywhere in plain sight as they looked like a propper gun but they were good imo.

I knew you would understand raven morpheus. IIRC you and i think 2 other people backed me up when i said the wii was all about the gimmick.

Seriouslly though i dont think they knew that most people are right handed and fire things with their right hand not the left, hell my girlfriend is left handed and to hold it correctly she has to fire with her right hand.

theunwantedbeing
08-12-2007, 19:05
http://technabob.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/05/wii_lightgun.jpg
This looks noticably better.

Nintendo is very good at making aweful peripherals for games though, infact....I cant think of a single nintendo controller barring the first couple that were actually "good".

The Wiimote is a perfect example of a terrible gimmicky controller.
The N64 controller as well (although plenty of ninty fanboys will disagree).
Even the gamecube controllers werent that great(better though..shame they didnt advance on them slightly).

Ah well.

Lord_Squinty
09-12-2007, 00:51
So it's a gimmick then?

NO WAAaay! - Really!??
*Cough*, seriously it was never going to be anything but..
Just check out the Wii tennis racket, golf club etc...
Im Reeally hoping the WII-saber has a real good game to back it up - that would be AWESOME! But Im not getting my hopes up...

Best Light gun I ever had was for my PS1 - dont know make, but it was a silver desert eagle with recoil - brilliant!

Ah well.

Oh HELL NO!
I was a genuine HATER of the N64 controller at first - just could not get the hang of the weird design - but, with some perseverence - it is second only to the gamecube controller... both beat the PS2 and Xbox hands down for controls - and Im NO Ninty fanboy...
Cant speak for PS3, havent played one yet :(

Bubble Ghost
09-12-2007, 09:29

The N64 controller was a "gimmick" that introduced analogue control to console gaming, making the styles of games we take for granted today possible. You'll also find plenty of people positing that it's one of the best game controllers of all time, and it is almost indisputably the best ever input device for console FPS games. But since I disagree with you I must a fanboy, right? God bless the internet!

Furthermore, the Wii remote may or may not turn out to be a creative dead end, but regardless of whether it does, it's not terrible by any means. It works perfectly, and it's intuitive and useful if developers use it right. It's not the controller's fault that developers are crap.:D Wow, I really am a raging fanboy today, aren't I?

On topic, I have to say that the Wii Zapper looked terrible from the instant the pictures came out, and that seems to have been borne out. What a silly piece of kit.

byteboy
09-12-2007, 10:29
I purchased the rifle for Wii Play games & have a blast playing the shooting games in Rayman, Ghost Squad, Shooting Range in Wii Play of course & the Arcade version of Medal of Honor Heroes.

I also purchased another gun from Dreamgear. Its great for Left & Right handers since its barrel actually rotates to accomadate each persons shooting style & its ergonomic for the wrists. It even detatches so you can use the Nunchuck & Remote and still have the ability to snap it back into a gun. The only small "downside" to this gun is that you must remove the wrist straps entirely in order to close this small lid, that holds the Nunchuk-Remote cable in place.

Dreamgear Blaster link:
http://www.buy.com/prod/dreamgear-dgwii-1034-light-gun-for-nintendo-wii-tm/q/loc/108/205775907.html

Wii Play Rifle link:
http://www.buy.com/prod/wii-blaster-gun-single-or-double-handed/q/loc/108/204505482.html **Note I have never seen anyone use this single handed....

**Forgot to mention, the Dreamgear gun is great when playing CoD3 as you can still do all the 2 handed action sequences, then snap it together & keep moving/shooting in the game. Using any 2 handed zapper for regular play on CoD3 & Medal of Honor Heroes makes the games extremely challenging.

Kaze
09-12-2007, 10:46
I haven't had the Zapper in my hand but from what I've been reading, the A button simply "disappears" when you're playing. People are complaining about it a lot in Resident Evil-whatever to quickly pick up objects.

TheBigBadWolf
09-12-2007, 16:43
The N64 controller was a "gimmick" that introduced analogue control to console gaming, making the styles of games we take for granted today possible. You'll also find plenty of people positing that it's one of the best game controllers of all time, and it is almost indisputably the best ever input device for console FPS games. But since I disagree with you I must a fanboy, right? God bless the internet!

I think you will find sega had an analogue stick before nintendo.

The other gun casings for the wii are just as bad, you still have to fire with the wrong hand, it just will not make a good light gun with the nunchuk unless it is mounted above the nunchuk in a pistol style and some sort of dubble trigger is used

Kaze
09-12-2007, 17:06
TheBigBadWolf, Sega's analog pad was at that time (1997 IIRC) in the same position as the Sixaxis was when they presented it regarding the Wiimote. The N64 was launching and Sega presented the analog controller specially for Nights. So it's version 1.0 of the "I created this feature for my controller first" discussion :D

TheBigBadWolf
09-12-2007, 17:19
I think you will find they came out at the same time 1996 and the sega one is in the same position as current controllers and of a far closer design to modern control sticks

CaptainSenioris
09-12-2007, 17:40
I don't plan on getting one for my Wii, I prefer holding the Wiimote and nunchuck separately it feels more natural.

I disagree with some of the points made here, as usual, but I see little point in getting dragged into the depressing argument that these threads always end like.

Dirty Fingers
09-12-2007, 19:19
NO WAAaay! - Really!??

Oh HELL NO!
I was a genuine HATER of the N64 controller at first - just could not get the hang of the weird design - but, with some perseverence - it is second only to the gamecube controller... both beat the PS2 and Xbox hands down for controls - and Im NO Ninty fanboy...
Cant speak for PS3, havent played one yet :(

No. Nonononono. I can maybe, MAYBE see someone make this argument about the xbox controller, but there is no way the gamecube controller, let alone the bloody N64, is objectively better than the dualshock. there is a reason why the dualshock design has lasted through three generations of consoles, whereas Nintendo has had to get COMPLETELY new designs for each one of their consoles.

As far as the zapper goes, i think one of the principle issues behind its failure is the fact that Nintendo was so wrapped up in making sure that it didn't look too much like a gun.

Also, why on earth would you want to learn and adjust and adapt and suffer through becoming halfways decent with the zapper, despite the fact that even when mastered, it'll never be better than a regular old remote and nunchuk?

neXus6
10-12-2007, 00:14
there is a reason why the dualshock design has lasted through three generations of consoles
Yes, cause Sony are lazy. :p

I've never liked PS controllers. The X box controller has a couple of faults, like you think your pushing the stick right or left but actually its going diagonally cause of the angle of the handle, but its STILL way better overall. And the N64 controller was brilliant, never had a problem with it from the moment I started playing.

I bought a 2nd hand n64 for 20 quid many many years after their release but I like the controller design more than Sonys. God I am a fan boy too and I never knew. :rolleyes:

pwrgmrguard
10-12-2007, 01:07
My best are N64, 360 wired controller, and then the dualshock 2.

Then again, i also use inverted, and insist Red Faction 2 is one of the greatest games of all time.

Bubble Ghost
10-12-2007, 09:39
I think you will find sega had an analogue stick before nintendo.

Which one was first by six minutes is completely academic (it was the N64 anyway). Nintendo standardised it by integrating it into their basic system, driving the design direction of their platform's entire catalogue and forcing the competion to react. Sony didn't hastily introduce an analogue controller because of NiGHTS.

there is a reason why the dualshock design has lasted through three generations of consoles, whereas Nintendo has had to get COMPLETELY new designs for each one of their consoles.

Let's be honest, the Dualshock design has lasted ever since the SNES pad.:D The fact that it's a good controller is only half the reason they haven't changed it, it's also because it's a strong image. The Dualshock is so recognisable and pleasing in its cool design and symmetry, that it's almost a logo in its own right, important for for the PlayStation's brand recognition. It's definitely a better all-round controller than the N64's (imagine trying to play Street Fighter with the N64 pad's dustbin lid-sized d-pad. shudder), but the N64's was still great as long as the game was designed with it in mind. It was particularly brilliant for FPS games.

TheBigBadWolf
10-12-2007, 12:26
Which one was first by six minutes is completely academic (it was the N64 anyway). Nintendo standardised it by integrating it into their basic system, driving the design direction of their platform's entire catalogue and forcing the competion to react. Sony didn't hastily introduce an analogue controller because of NiGHTS.

The design of the N64 controller was shambolic do you even have a nintendo 64 from launch after about a year of play the stick becomes unusable it wobbles about so much and moving becomes an effort, if yours doesnt then god knows how as everyone i have seen wobbles so much that it can be left leaning into the housing, where as the saturn one is still going strong.

Thats not the point of this thread though controller bashing is another thread. It is the about the shame of the zapper, and how nintendo does not understand ergonomics.

sanctusmortis
10-12-2007, 12:54
To correct - Nintendo was the first to introduce it as the STANDARD controller. The N64 was a work of art, brilliant to use - until the stick broke, at which point...

The 360 pad is my current fave. I find the Wiimote quite oddly uncomfy, especially the too-light nunchuck, and Sony pads give me cramp due to the size (also an issue with the DS Lite).

Bubble Ghost
10-12-2007, 15:36
The design of the N64 controller was shambolic do you even have a nintendo 64 from launch after about a year of play the stick becomes unusable it wobbles about so much and moving becomes an effort, if yours doesnt then god knows how as everyone i have seen wobbles so much that it can be left leaning into the housing, where as the saturn one is still going strong.

Build quality was an issue, I'll give you that. It's not so much my sticks that don't work properly though, it's my d-pads, from playing WWF No Mercy too much. On both my official N64 pads, I can't move diagonally up and left at the same time.:wtf:

Thats not the point of this thread though controller bashing is another thread. It is the about the shame of the zapper

Agree.

and how nintendo does not understand ergonomics.

Strongly disagree. Ergonomically Nintendo's controllers are usually brilliant, let down in the N64's case by shoddy build quality (although my two third-party N64 pads have lasted much better, despite equivalent usage, strangely). The zapper specifically looks as though it's a bastard to use, but most of their other stuff is fine - it's just that it's tended to be a bit wacky, so it's inevitably going to polarise opinion.

Dirty Fingers
10-12-2007, 20:05
yeah, agreed overall on nintendo's controllers overall. My biggest problem with the Wii remote is when certain games insist on using the remote as an actual controller and not as...well a remote. This was my only real gripe with Super Paper Mario, for instance. spending the majority of the game trying to hold the thing sideways and using it like a standard controller is just AWFUL. to this day, i don't know why Paper decided to do that. it's the only game i'v eplayed on Wii thankfully that does this and i pray it's the last. such a shame too, as otherwise, Paper Mario really is a great game.