PDA

View Full Version : Do you think they should bring out a new Guard Regiment for the next Codex

El Presedente
09-12-2007, 12:12
Simple question, when the new Guard codex comes around do you think they should release a set of new regiment minitures.

After all we have pleanty, but theres still loads of different types they could cover, as well as all the ones on the Regiments page in the back of the 3rd ed codex.

So do you think they should or should we stick with what we have? I say they should, but I just wan't more new mini's to paint.

kris.sherriff
09-12-2007, 12:21
I would be more worried about the rules working if they rewrote the Guard codex.
Model wise I see no reason for the Plastic Cadians to get redone as they are still quite nice (Although they do not compare to FW stuff) so a compleat new regiment would seem like a good idea rather then a needless resculpt.
The only problem is the look and feel of the Imperial Guard as a whole. The new book would need to include lots of pics of the new line of models and depending upon the Regiment could give off a compleatly diffrent image to the Guard.

A better idea for me would be to stick with the Cadians for the IG codex but to bring in more Deathworld suplements.
I.E. Jungle Fighters - Catachans, Ice Worriors - Valhalans ETC

Kris

Xgladar
09-12-2007, 12:30
Not yet anyway.we currently have how many? about 10 or so different armies,but most of them are metal.

i hate metal!its too hard converting metal!metal is the spawn of the anticrist!!!

id much rather have them release more miniatures for existing armies.
i mean have you seen any army specific storm troopers? i sure heavent...

superknijn
09-12-2007, 12:34
Well, they'd probably plasticise old metal models (you know, make plastic models based on old ranges), and all the rumours point that way.

I don't mind either way. If only they look as nice as the Vostroyans.

different13
09-12-2007, 12:49
Plastic greatcoat guard, obviously. The only problem would be the head - does GW package them with a cadian-style helmet (armageddon legions, etc) or a Valhalla-style hat?
I mean, does anyone actually think they'd put 40 heads in a 20-model box?

Getifa Ubazza
09-12-2007, 12:52
I would rather they made some of the existing range plastic. ie. Demolisher tank, Hellhound (i mean the metal parts made plastic) and maybe some more options on the plastic cadian and catachan sprues, you know, like a melta gun, plasma gun and maybe some toys for the sergeant. Plastic Storm Troopers would be nice too.

Mr Feral
09-12-2007, 13:07
i mean have you seen any army specific storm troopers? i sure heavent...

Kasrkin are Cadian Storm Troopers, so there has been army specific Storm Troopers. Updating the older ones in plastic would be good though.

Matt121
09-12-2007, 14:11
Get rid of the older guard metals & redo them in plastic, some plastic Dkok wouldn't go amiss either, & i'd like to see some conversion kits for renegades in plastic personally (a bit off topic i know). Valhallans, & steel legion for plastic, who's with me...

JakeWS
09-12-2007, 14:52
Cadians all the way! Perhaps a new unit or two would be nice. A flier of some sort or skimmer.

killa kan kaus
09-12-2007, 15:04
A new range would be nice tallarn or mordians perferably

jasdc1
09-12-2007, 16:14
Tallarn Definately. That way I can do a nice desert paint scheme on tanks. And the Tallarn use lots of tanks.

MoopMoop
09-12-2007, 16:21

20 heads in a 10-model box would be completely feasible. There are other sets, such as SM assault marines, that carry lots of extra bits.

superknijn
09-12-2007, 16:22
Don't forget that sprue density has increased exponentially, with lots of extra bitz.

Kinsley
09-12-2007, 16:29
Maybe a new box for each of the major guard regiments of say 10-20 plastic troopers for Tallarn, Steel legion, or Valhallan. So you could bulk up your Tallarn army lets say with actual Tallarn Guard rather then converted Cadian or the forgeworld stuff. Storm Troopers you could convert I guess.

Just my thoughts.

unclejimbo827
09-12-2007, 17:17
Plastic greatcoat guard, obviously. The only problem would be the head - does GW package them with a cadian-style helmet (armageddon legions, etc) or a Valhalla-style hat?

I bet they'd sell them 10/box for $22 USD like the orks

Cosmocrat
09-12-2007, 17:25
I'd prefer that they made a new IG regiment, yes. More variety the better.

TheLionReturns
09-12-2007, 20:49
Personally I think Harakoni Warhawks would be a good idea. It would allow IG players some plastic carapace armour options and grav chute additions which are really missing from the current range unless you want to spend a fortune on metal and forgeworld. I would echo that the cadians are fine and really don't need touching.

StefDa
09-12-2007, 21:07
I want to keep my Doctrines...

General_disarray
09-12-2007, 21:30
I dont think a new regiment is needed, there are plenty of regiments to choose from.
However plastic greatcoat guard would be great!

Templar Ben
09-12-2007, 22:05
I don't know that they should but I think that they will. I would like to have Harakoni.

eek107
09-12-2007, 22:19
Plastic Carapace would be nice. I really wouldn't like them to revamp any existing regiments... the new Cadians are nice and all, but nowhere near as great as the metal ones. Giving any other regiment that kind of treatment and pulling the old metals wouldn't make me entirely happy.
What we really need is decent Rough Riders... they're starting to show their age. Also, a Guard-specific Priest or three would be welcome.

Cosmocrat
09-12-2007, 22:46
I dont think a new regiment is needed, there are plenty of regiments to choose from.

All the Guard regiments, except for the Steel Legion, are widely available on the GW website.

I want a new Regiment. The Galaxy has millions upon millions upon millions of Guard Regiments and we only have like 7 model ranges. I mean, come on.

Hicks
09-12-2007, 22:50
I don't think we need a new regiment. What I would like to see is a splash release of all the older metal ranges with the new codex, even if it's mail order only and maybe a couple new metal minis for them. A recut of the catachan sprue would be nice too.

Elcampbello
09-12-2007, 22:50
Two things I would like, number one being to make the damn guns out of the hands like the SM ones and number two is a conversion kit a bit like th BT ones so you can make great coat guard or what ever.

The Guy
09-12-2007, 22:55
I'd like to see a grenadier regiment. In plastic. This could also be used to represent storm troopers for other armies. They could bring out HQs and everything [When they do Grenadier HQ for guard that is....fools :rolleyes:]

Cosmocrat
09-12-2007, 23:04
I don't think we need a new regiment.

Of course we do. Variety is one of the great things the Imperial Guard has going for it.

Just because most people aren't willing to plop down the extra cash to make a Mordian army, doesn't mean they need to hold things up for the rest of us.

MoopMoop
09-12-2007, 23:18
I want a new Regiment. The Galaxy has millions upon millions upon millions of Guard Regiments and we only have like 7 model ranges. I mean, come on.

Currently or Formerly avaiable from GW:

Cadian
Catachan
Vostroyan
Valhallan
Tallarn
Mordian
Praetorian
Steel Legion

(Tanith 1st and Only)

Additionally from FW:

Death Korps of Krieg
Elysian Drop troops

Yeah... that's like.. more options than any other range gets (Space Marines excepted). A little augmentation to the existing ranges, rereleasing of the discountinued metal range, and some new releases (upgrade sprues?) would suffice in my opinion.

different13
10-12-2007, 00:05
But then the other ranges don't have fluff saying there are untold thousands of variations in uniform...
Nor do they need it.

Templar Ben
10-12-2007, 01:50
Currently or Formerly avaiable from GW:

Cadian
Catachan
Vostroyan
Valhallan
Tallarn
Mordian
Praetorian
Steel Legion

(Tanith 1st and Only)

Additionally from FW:

Death Korps of Krieg
Elysian Drop troops

Yeah... that's like.. more options than any other range gets (Space Marines excepted). A little augmentation to the existing ranges, rereleasing of the discountinued metal range, and some new releases (upgrade sprues?) would suffice in my opinion.

Wouldn't that be more than SM? SM have 5 armies. I am not complaining I was just pointing out that IG has more options, SM just has cheeper ones.

FrankManic
10-12-2007, 02:53
I'd like to see some plastic conversion boxes, though I don't know if that would really work.

But if they do a greatcoats regiment and a pretty (dress uniforms) regiment you could get DKoK, Valhallans, and Tallarn upgrade gets for the Greatcoats regiment and Mordian and Praetorian upgrades for the pretty regiment.

colonel c
10-12-2007, 02:58
Some female troops would be nice.

Vaktathi
10-12-2007, 03:00
Wouldn't that be more than SM? SM have 5 armies. I am not complaining I was just pointing out that IG has more options, SM just has cheeper ones.

for SM's with actual mini's we have:

Ultramarines/vanilla marines
Space Wolves
Blood Angels
Dark Angels
Grey Knights
Black Templars
Noise Marines
Plague Marines
Berserkers
Thousand Sons
generic Chaos Space Marines
Deathwatch Marines
Legion of the Damned

etc....

for actual codex's...
BA
DA
SW
Chaos
SM
Daemonhunters
Black Templars

IG just have alot of options for one codex :p

azrael22
10-12-2007, 03:02
Yes, the old ranges are still available.

No, its not practical making an army out of them at 5 dollars per model. Also, there are approximately 10 different poses, and they are hard to convert.

Also, I heard from a GW sales person that there will be no plastic Valhallans in the forseeable future.

Yorrik
10-12-2007, 03:05
I would immediately go out and buy an entire army of Mordians if they were to release them in plastic. Those guys are tough fighters, mean drunks, and snappy dressers.

shabbadoo
10-12-2007, 03:54
They shouldn't be doing a new regiment in plastic but they probably will. What they should be doing is finishing off the plastification of the Cadian range so there is actually a fully uniformed IG army available. Then, and only then, should they think about doing other regiments, though I'd still prefer that they then concentrete on filling in other army lines before doing a new, and redundant, IG regiment.

The Hobo Hunter
10-12-2007, 04:18
I've been getting used to playing without a lot of wargear, 'cos that's gonna go:(

I've been getting used to playing doctrine-less, 'cos that's gonna go:cries:

As for things I'd actually like to see before a new regiment occurs:

1)An accessory sprue for IG infantry, such as decent special weapons and unit specific stuff like sniper rifles or demo-charges, different heads (female cadians!), maybe different bodies, with each IG infantry box, similar to the BT sprue.

2)Gap-filling and plastification of out-of-date models. They were off to a good start with the new Ogryns, but they had to make them metal again. That being said, plastic stormtroopers, rough riders, and maybe even ratlings would add a touch of compatibility for the various units people don't take much.

3) A plastic commander. Space Marines got one, Chaos got one, why can't IG get one? A generic torso and legs, with the options of various heads, arms, and maybe even a jacket to make a commissar instead of officer. A sprue full of weapons would be a real godsend to those who like to pimp out their line troopers or convert officers.

Taking this one step further, I'd like to see this idea expanded to a Command Squad box. Same price as a box of infantry, maybe $50-55 (australian), and with the same principle in mind, enough gear to convert 5 or so guardsmen into a command squad.

A quick question while I'm here: does anyone think it would be beyond GW to recut the shock troopers sprue to incorporate heavy weapons troopers into the squads? In the same way as tactical marines have a missile launcher in their box set, maybe GW would add a heavy bolter (supposed to be the most 'common' weapon) to each 10-man infantry sprue, and incorporate the 2 kneeling legs in there as well as a large base.

In effect, this would give players the option of having a 10-man squad equipped with a heavy bolter team, or having a regular infantry squad without the heavy weapon, but with two kneeling troopers. What do people think the implications of this would be?

Is there enough space? Would GW recut the sprues for it to incorporate the heavy weapons? Would people make use of it? Would it make GW reconsider the amount of guardsmen per box (ala orks)? Would it even happen?

It seems to me that any of these options would happen to cadians first, as they're GW poster boys for IG (although vostroyans have been stealing the show a bit)

Melchiah
10-12-2007, 04:42
For the new codex we should get a Chem Dogs model range.