PDA

View Full Version : Pit of Shades Confution

Conotor
09-12-2007, 16:39
:confused:

I have heard of the pit of shades killing large monsters, but in my 6th ed rule book, it only does 1 S3 hit per model, and has a 50% chance to slow the effected unit 50%.

1. Why do people think/know this can kill?

2. Unless im misinterpretting this spall, why does it suc so much?

3. Why should the unit not bothering to climb out of the pit suddenly let them work normally.

:confused:

Arhalien
09-12-2007, 16:40
Welcome to 7th edition; the spell has got a lot nastier ;)

protomessiah
09-12-2007, 16:45
the spell changed with the 7th edition rulebook

Reinnon
09-12-2007, 16:45
its now the pit where treeman, Dragons, slanns and steam tanks (for some at least) have formed their own elite society out of sheer lonelness. With the odd goblin to keep them company.

Our local teclis user swears by it:
"a treeman ancient sucks, because i can pit of shades it!"
"Slanns arn't worth their points, because i'm Teclis and can cast pit of shades with IF 9/10"
"Steam tanks!? Pit of Shades!"

Conotor
09-12-2007, 17:21
Ok... how does it work in 7th edition?

And who is Teclis?

Can't you just save a dispell scroll for it if it's that good?

sigur
09-12-2007, 17:23
1.) It's not allowed (by Warseer's posting rules) to post rules.

2.) Use google please. He's important.

3.) Sure you can do that.

WLBjork
09-12-2007, 17:25
Can't give out full rules over the net - you'd need to get your own copy, but briefly if you are hit, you die.

Dispel Scrolls are ideal to save against it, but bear in mind Irresistable Force, which can only be dispelled by a very small number of magic items.

Latro
09-12-2007, 17:26
Ok... how does it work in 7th edition?

And who is Teclis?

Can't you just save a dispell scroll for it if it's that good?

GW thought it would be a good thing to include a legal special character for the High Elves that:

- knows every spell
- casts about every spell with irresistable force
- has access to bucketloads of dice

:cool:

Havock
09-12-2007, 18:24
He's like the Stephen Hawking of the magic department.

theunwantedbeing
09-12-2007, 18:30
If this thread stays around long enough somebody will give you the rules despite not being "allowed" to.
Happens in basically every thread.

The pit of shades is nastier, although vs larger things like chariots the size of the template lessens the effect.
Teclis is just a high elf spellcasting special character.

Generally speaking neither are particularly worth worrying about as although they are powerful, they are magical effects and can be stopped easily enough.(usually by killing the caster)

EvC
10-12-2007, 11:29
I've started using a Slann though, and it's always worrying when my opponents throw 5 dice at the spell and always get the Irresistable Force. Fortunately I've always passed the Slann's I test (Needing 1 or 2!) but one day it'll end the game on turn one.

Not sure how PoS works with things like Chariots: does it auto-fail or can he use the rider's initiative? And what aboutt he Stegadon, is that one test for the Stegadon and individual tests for the Skink crew..?

Chaos Undecided
10-12-2007, 11:38
I always thought that pit of shades couldnt touch a Steam Tank as it can only be affected by spells with a strength based attack?

Reinnon
10-12-2007, 12:13
the pit of shades overrides normal magical immunity, its one of those those brillient GW moments where they write 2 rules that directly contradict each other.

however, i'm in the camp that pit of shades does slaughter steam tanks - its a silly spell really

Count Zero
10-12-2007, 12:28
for the UK GT's the pit doesnt kill stanks, it was put on their offical FAQ, hand of dust does work against the tanks tho.

Xzazzarai
10-12-2007, 16:01
I posted this in the magic tactica 101-thread, and I will post it here to.
Especially for all of you who see PoS as the ultimate Dragon/stegadon/other ridden monster-killer...

Read this. (http://us.games-workshop.com/errata/assets/warhammer_v7_faq.pdf)

Page 5, MISCELLANEOUS

"Q. Occasionally, a model with multiple parts that have
different Characteristics, such as a cavalry model, a
Character riding a Monster or a Chariot, will have to
take a Characteristic test (like an Initiative test for a Pit
of Shades spell). If the model has multiple values for the
Characteristic to be tested, which one is used?

A. Unless differently specified, use the best value, in other
words the value that makes it more likely to pass the test."

So think twice befor removing that "Dragon/stegadon/other ridden monster" or similar.

EvC
10-12-2007, 16:49
Ah, thanks for that. I managed to cast Pit of Shades and get two partials on a pair of Khorne Chariots the other weekend, and when both were successful my opponent quickly removed both chariots and assured me that this is what happens... boy is his face gonna be red (possibly with my blood).

Flypaper
12-12-2007, 00:14
I refuse to play against Teclis under any circumstances, specifically because of this spell.

Prophet of Quetzl
13-12-2007, 19:51
I refuse to play against Teclis under any circumstances, specifically because of this spell.

I cant believe that the developers didn't realise what they were doing when

a) they created such a overly powerful spell
b) they created such a riduculous rule (always IF with Teclis)

staggering really.

whobetta
14-12-2007, 01:44
They knew this... they just LOVE Teclis and the High Elves more than anything... High Elves are the worst. blah!

zak
14-12-2007, 16:36
This spell is a really nasty spell against low initiative troops such as dwarfs and Lizardmen, but is normally reserved for level 3-4 wizards due it's casting value. With Teclis this becomes moot and he almost gains a free rain of the magic phase as you can't even use a scroll when he gets IF.

galenus
14-12-2007, 16:50
I was playing a 2k Dwarfs vs 2k Chaos Undivided with myself to get rules and stats locked into my head, and managed to knock out 8 Ironbreakers and a tooled up Dwarf Lord (failed Look Out Sir!) with a IF from a Lvl 2 Sorcerer. Even the Oath Stone was never allowed to make a difference. It was brutal! Up until then that unit had been through a few combats with no casualties at all. I left the lord in the game just so I wouldn't spend the next hour mopping up one side with the other and losing interest.

the12thronin
14-12-2007, 17:47
Teclis still has to successfully cast the spell, not just roll a double to get the Irresistable off.