PDA

View Full Version : looking to start an chaos space marine

Bhorden
09-12-2007, 17:29
I have played the tau for two years and i still like em but like evreyone dose i needed a little evil in my life. got my first minatures but not really sure what to do with them. can anyone suggest a simple paint scheeme or where to find one, or the basic tactical advanteges these guys have. any advie would be appreiciated.

twj
09-12-2007, 17:52
The best place to look would be in the Chaos Codex, it has a lot of examples of different paint schemes. However, it is YOUR army so choose a paint scheme that you like and don't mind painting repeatedly.

Preston
09-12-2007, 17:52
Well, I guess the first question I would have is do you want to go with an established paint scheme from the CSM codex, or do you want to start your own warband/fallen chapter?

If you want to start your own, what is the forces name? I'm redoing my CSM army now and I've named my force "The Storm Reavers" which then suggested it's paint scheme (Ironhull Gray and Pig Iron trim, with black), colors one might find in a thunder storm. So, once you have a name does it suggest any colors?

Which of the chaos gods, if any, does your warband follow? that could also suggest a color scheme. Gorey colors for Khorne, bright gaudy colors for Slaanesh, etc.

Astraeos
09-12-2007, 19:56
After your colour scheme is picked, you'll need a starting force. At the risk of sounding like I'm quoting from a codex, start off with two squads of basic CSM.

They're equipped for both range and Close combat purposes with a profile that stands above most other armies basic troops. Equip your champ with a power weapon or (even better) a power fist to give it an edge in close combat. The marines themselves have access to the usual complement of special and heavy weapons and the new icons of chaos.

One squad could be your lord's bodyguard seeing as retinues have vanished now. Give your lord a daemon weapon, it's almost a must (a risky one seeing as it could seriously put your lord in a very bad position), put him and a CSM bodyguard in a rhino and get that guy into assault with something! Coupled with a power fist armed champ that should cause whatever unfortunate unit it reaches more than just a few cuts and bruises...

I'm a bit close combat minded really, but the CSM do have some good shooting units. A deep striking Obliterator could use a CSM squads icon to get to where your opponent doesn't want him (providing you get the CSM icon bearer there first, remember that).

Or Terminator's if you prefer elites.

Hope that helps put you on the right path (the one to glory or damnation) in starting your CSM army.