PDA

View Full Version : HE problems

Omegakai
09-12-2007, 18:24
I'm having difficultly coming up with various "good " magic item combos for the high elf army.
i use to really like the high elf's for their choices in honors / magic now it seems to be a lot more limiting.

would like to hear from the more experienced high elf players as to want their preferred magic item combos are, and or units they take with them, and their over all goal.

brambleten
09-12-2007, 20:15
i try to fit in the ring of corin so to waste dispell dice on unwary opponents, before unleashing the ring of fury. i also run my PG champ with armour of Caledor, because i rarely run nobles , and when i do, they get armour of protection

CHOOBER SNIPES
09-12-2007, 21:33
if u hav a block of spearmen, a BSB noble with a great weapon, armor of caledor, and if u really want a guardian phoenix works great. Helps the unit with combat res, and he gets a fair few kills himself with WS6 S6 3A ASF.

vorac
09-12-2007, 21:54
when i noticed how gw increased the cost of the ring of fury to 40 pts. and decreaed the cost of the ring of corin and threw it in the arcane section which only means mages can use it i was a little miffed but i've found other tools to use like the tricksters trinket

Olith
09-12-2007, 22:37
This thread might be of use to you:

http://www.ulthuan.net/viewtopic.php?t=23038

prelude_to_war
15-12-2007, 01:26
A good combo is Folraith's Robe and Talisman of Saphery on your Archmage. The robe protects him against all but magic weapons in CC. The Talisman makes all magic weapons in CC mundane. Therefore he can't suffer any wounds in CC making him more survivable.

I've also read that this Archmage could issue challenges to geared up fighty characters, thereby helping your own combat resolution. Sounds a bit beardy to me...but I suppose it could work.

15-12-2007, 03:58
A good combo is Folraith's Robe and Talisman of Saphery on your Archmage. The robe protects him against all but magic weapons in CC. The Talisman makes all magic weapons in CC mundane. Therefore he can't suffer any wounds in CC making him more survivable.

I've also read that this Archmage could issue challenges to geared up fighty characters, thereby helping your own combat resolution. Sounds a bit beardy to me...but I suppose it could work.

thats brutal...it even gives you enough points left over to buy the ring of corin or staff of solidarity. or give it to a prince and give him the biting blade and talsman of loec .

you cant hit me with any CC attack you get-1 to armor save (total of -2) plus I reroll all hits and wounds...:D put him in a unit of Lionguard and sneak in through the woods. or by himself charg through the woods and flush out the scouts and charge the artillary.

oh the possibilities

Chiungalla
15-12-2007, 05:53
@ 505:
To give that combination of items to a prince, would be a stupid idea.
The wearer of the robe, can't attack or shoot.

Bolter Bait
15-12-2007, 14:33
I don't think I've seen a thread yet where someone didn't somehow screw up with Folraith's Robes. They either give it to a prince and think that he can fight without taking damage (can't attack or shoot wearing the robe) or someone will give it to an archmage on a dragon thinking that they found the perfect mage defense (can be worn by model on foot only).

Anyway, what good combinations are there?

Challenge Surprise: Noble on foot with Armour of Caledor and Talisman of Loec. Takes a mundane GW. Hides in a unit of spearmen and accepts/issues challenges. 2+ save, three Str 6 ASF attacks and once per game reroll to hit and to wound and forces the enemy wounded to reroll all successful saves that turn. Even better in an elite HE infantry unit where the champ is wearing the Amulet of Light so that the noble's attacks, as well as the entire unit's, count as magical. Gives the enemy half the noble's VP when you use the Talisman though, so make sure it's worth it.

Challenge Foil: Archmage w/ Robe-Talisman combo mentioned above. Challenge big painful things and negate the combat res they'd normally provide while the infantry squad he's buried in wins combat through various means (swordmasters w/ Warbanner FTW). Even better if the unit hiding the archmage has MR through some means.

Challenge Master: Prince on foot w/ The White Sword, Armour of the Gods, Talisman of Loec. Same basic principle as the Challenge Surprise except that the Prince has +1 attack, Str 7 and Killing Blow. Will usually kill the enemy before they can attack back and on the turn he pops the Talisman, that's a very good chance of just outright killing the target model.

Dragon Master: Prince on Star Dragon w/ Star Lance, Helm of Fortune, Guardian Phoenix, Talisman of Loec (optional), shield, dragon armour. Waaaay too expensive to even think about using in games less than 2500 points but on the turn it charges, four Str 7 ASF ignore armour attacks + six Str 7 dragon attacks. Also has a 3+ rerollable save and a 5+ ward. If the ToL is taken, on the turn it is popped, remember that enemies wounded by the prince have to reroll ALL successful saves of any kind for that entire round of combat. This means that if the prince inflicts at least one wound and the talisman is popped, the enemy will have to reroll against the dragon's inflicted wounds as well. But still too expensive. On a regular barded steed though...

Hard BSB: BSB w/ Helm of Fortune, Guardian Phoenix, Dragon Armour, shield, lance, barded steed. +1 rerollable save and a 5+ ward, plus acts just like a regular knight in addition to providing the BSB reroll. Not having any equipment restrictions on a HE BSB is great.

Shadow Sniper: This is an old one that got better with ASF. Prince on foot with the Bow of the Seafarer, Shadow armour, shield (better save against shooting). Scout into a position where you can make side shots with the BoS and watch them freak-out when your mobile bolt thrower starts plinking Chosen Knights or sniping characters audacious enough to walk around without being in a unit. When they eventually divert some of their army to go take him out, take the charge with a S&S reaction to get off another shot and then Strike First with the great weapon. You'll go down fighting, but if you picked a good position, you'll more than make up the VPs.

Notice how Talisman of Loec makes it into most setups? That's because it's freaking awesome once you get over the whole suffering an automatic wound with no saves.

15-12-2007, 16:17
my bad I didn't read the whole disription thingy just checked prices.

I used once mounted prince with barding heavy armour sheild vambrance of defense and blade of seagold.
rerollable armour saves 4+ ward and no enemy armour saves he worked well