PDA

View Full Version : Tomb Kings -- cracking the 2k barrier

Oenghus
09-12-2007, 19:17
Hi all,

I've been playing Tomb Kings for a bit and am (I think) starting to get the hang of things. I even won a game with them last week -- which shows you how steep the learning curve has been for me.

Anyway, I've decided that the 1500 point games I've been playing aren't big enough for me, and I've decided to up the stakes to 2000 points. I've put together a couple of lists (comprising most of my models) and I was wondering if I could get some input.

Are either of them viable? Which one's better? Are there any changes that could be made to them? Thanks in advance for your time.

List #1
Heroes
Tomb King -- Destroyer of Eternities, Collar of Shapesh -- 165pts
Liche Priest (Heirophant) -- Cloak of Dunes, Dispel Scroll -- 160pts
Liche Priest -- Staff of Ravening -- 160 pts
Liche Priest -- Casket of Souls, Dispel Scroll -- 305 pts
Core
Skeleton Warriors x 20 -- HW, Shield, L.Armour, Standard, Musician -- 190pts
Skeleton Warriors x 10 -- 80pts
Chariots x 3 -- 120pts
Special
Scorpion -- 85pts
Scorpion -- 85pts
Ushabti x 3 -- 195pts
Tomb Guard x 18 -- Champion, Banner, Icon of Rakaph -- 280pts
Rare
Screaming Skull Catapult -- 90pts

2000 pts on the nose

Or

List #2
Heroes
Tomb Prince -- Great Weapon, Collar of Shapesh -- 129pts
Liche High Priest (Heirophant) -- Cloak of Dunes, Golden Ankhra, Nefarra's Plaques -- 340pts
Liche Priest -- Steed, Staff of Ravening -- 168pts
Liche Priest -- Casket, Dispel Scroll -- 305pts
Core
Skeleton Warriors x 20 -- L.Armour, HWeapon, Shield, Standard -- 190pts
Special
Scorpion -- 85pts
Scorpion -- 85pts
Ushabti x 3 -- 195pts
Tomb Guard x 14 -- Champion, Standard, Icon of Rakaph -- 232pts
Rare
Screaming Skull Catapult -- Skulls of the Foe -- 110pts

2000 points.

So, any thoughts? Criticisms? Outright mockery?

Rattlehead
09-12-2007, 19:29
OMFG LOL IS THAT WHAT YOU'LL BE PLAYING!?

No serioesly, I like the first list. Put the King in with the TG and the ravening priest with your archers. Oh and the casket should be right next to the screaming scull for maximum potential. The hierophant should drop the ankhra since it will die anyway if charged. Also perhaps drop the musician from the skellies and use the points from both to buy another ushabti or more skellie warriors.

GL

Ymir
09-12-2007, 19:59
I prefer the High Priest List, due to the sheer amount of power dice you'll have to put pressure on the enemy with. I've never even -tried- a Tomb King myself, though, because the LHP is so attractive for the magic- heavy lists I like. I will sooner or later of course, I find it particularly attractive that the Tomb King allows you to give ordinary skeletons a magic banner.

However, I think your skeleton block is to small. 20 doesn't cut it, because you want Outnumbering for Fear. 25 is a much better number in this regard. The musician is pretty much a waste also, sure, it looks neat and all, having a musician, but I've -never ever- had any use for him.

I would also try to make room for a larger Tomb Guard unit. 14 is simply to little. You need full rank bonus. Or, you could scrap them altogether for the chariot unit. Tomb Guard are awesome of course, but chariots are like, mega-awesome. I like princes in chariots myself, to give a unit of chariots even more hitting power, but I realize that might not be to everyone's liking. A prince with the skeleton block or even the Tomb Guard might work just as well.

-If- you decide to use a Tomb King, give the ordinary skeleton block a Standard of the Undying Legion. Power level 3, best of 2 D6 wounds back per turn. They'll be able to hold their own like, forever. It is simply awesome.

The staff of ravening is useful, but if you use the LHP, you'll have so much magic anyway that you could forfeit the staff in order to have more points for troops.

Don't even think of not using the Casket though. On 2000 points, when you can use it in conjunction with a SSC, it is simply devastating.

You -might- considering fielding the Bowmen in a single unit. I've never done it myself thus far, but it seems like a good option - just reform them into a solid fighting block when the enemy gets close enough to charge. Then they might actually do some real good even in close combat.

Lastly, I'm not to sure about the Collar of Shapesh. I've been using it in an ongoing tournament for a while now, only to find that no one -ever- targets the Tomb Prince , because he's so damned difficult to kill compared to the chariots he hangs with. Instead, they try to make him die on combat resolution, which seems much more efficient. In this case, for example the Chariot of Fire would have been a much better choice.

However, the collar might be better if you field him in a infantry block, and the enemy has a lot of hard-hitting troops. I guess that's the case here, so maybe I would keep it after all,

Oenghus
09-12-2007, 20:53
Thanks for the quick (and insightful) replies. I've tried to do what I can to address your concerns, but some of the changes are proving to be tricky, points-wise. I like chariots too, but I worry that if I axe the Guard I'm going to find myself seriously numbers-light. I guess I could put together another regiment of skeletons, but... meh. The Tomb King list has serious issues anyway (see next paragraph for exciting details!). I thought about mushing the skele-archers into one block, but then I need to dig up (ha!) another core unit somewhere. I guess I could finally take those swarms out of their blisters. The Collar I'm taking as a cheapo Ward save. A 4+ is pretty good, and skeletons are a renewable resource, after all.

It turns out that I've dropped a hundred points on the first list (the Tomb King is 265 points) so that list gets a little less viable once I've made the (unfortunate) changes. I've also updated the Liche High Priest list. The LHP list is starting to put some distance between itself and the King list. Pity. I like the Destroyer a lot, and the core chariots. Here are the new versions.

List #1
Heroes
Tomb King -- Destroyer of Eternities, Collar of Shapesh -- 265pts
Liche Priest (Heirophant) -- Cloak of Dunes, Dispel Scroll -- 160pts
Liche Priest -- Staff of Ravening -- 160 pts
Liche Priest -- Casket of Souls, Dispel Scroll -- 305 pts
Core
Skeleton Warriors x 21 -- HW, Shield, L.Armour, Standard -- 199pts
Chariots x 3 -- 120pts
Special
Scorpion -- 85pts
Scorpion -- 85pts
Ushabti x 3 -- 195pts
Tomb Guard x 16 -- Champion, Banner, Icon of Rakaph -- 256pts
Rare
Screaming Skull Catapult -- 90pts

2000 pts

Or

List #2
Heroes
Liche High Priest (Heirophant) -- Cloak of Dunes, Nefarra's Plaques -- 295pts
Liche Priest -- Steed, Dispel Scroll -- 148pts
Liche Priest -- Casket -- 280pts
Core
Skeleton Warriors x 22 -- L.Armour, HWeapon, Shield, Standard -- 208pts
Special
Scorpion -- 85pts
Scorpion -- 85pts
Ushabti x 3 -- 195pts
Tomb Guard x 20 -- Champion, Standard, Icon of Rakaph -- 304pts
Rare
Screaming Skull Catapult -- Skulls of the Foe -- 110pts

1999 points.

Thanks again for your previous (and hopefully future) contributions to these lists. Any input is gratefully received and greatly appreciated.

Ymir
09-12-2007, 21:59
Your Tomb King list certainly seems very good now. However, I still prefer the LHP-list, but it might need a little more tweaking. Here's what I would do, although crying blood while doing it:

List #2
Heroes
Liche High Priest (Heirophant) -- Cloak of Dunes, Nefarra's Plaques -- 295pts
Liche Priest -- Steed, Dispel Scroll -- 148pts
Liche Priest -- Casket -- 280pts
Core
Skeleton Warriors x 22 -- L.Armour, HWeapon, Shield, Standard -- 208pts
Special
Chariots x3 -- 120pts
Scorpion -- 85pts
Ushabti x 3 -- 195pts
Tomb Guard x 20 -- Standard, Champion, War Banner -- 289pts
Rare
Screaming Skull Catapult, 90 pts

1999 points.

You'll see I've scrapped one Tomb Scorpion, the Skulls of the Foe, and replaced the Icon of Rakaph with a simple War Banner, in order to make room (and points) for a chariot unit. I would do this because chariots absolutely rule, and one scorpion seems enough - it's better you can tackle a variety of threats, and the chariots are both faster and more destructive versus infantry blocks. Of course, the scorpion and the Icon of Rakaph might be more detrimental to your strategy than I realize, but myself, I would really go for this list. I agree about the archers, though - I didn't realize before that you needed them to fill your troop requirements. You could of course fill that third slot with a couple of tomb swarm, which are certainly not bad, but I would much prefer the 'I can afford chariots'-alternative.

The skulls of the foe are not that useful in general, so those points, in my opinion, are still better spent elsewhere, as I here have done.

An alternative would be the Banner of the Undying Legion instead of the War Banner. I love it.

The Golden Ankhra is certainly a good option for a flying Hierophant, but I think one can survive without it - by the time I've had to take those ward saves, it seems I'm already almost defeated anyway.

What really hurts though, is that there is nothing more that I can scrap, with good conscience, in order to afford a standard for the chariots. That might prove itself unfortunate, indeed.

Oenghus
09-12-2007, 22:58
Good list, Ymir! I think I may run with that one a few times and see how it goes. I was gutted, not being able to take chariots along with me.

I think I'll take the Undying Legion banner, though. Might as well free up my incantations/really ruin someone's magic phase.

Ymir
09-12-2007, 23:18
Do that. And be sure to post a battle report or two so I can see how it went :)
Only games with a Lord do the Tomb Kings justice, so good luck!

And now I'm gonna go and try to glue together -my- Scorpion. I've never really tried it out...