PDA

View Full Version : Weezer/Foo Fighters Concert

Inquisitor Engel
18-09-2005, 05:42
Many of you might remember the pointless poll I posted as to if I should skip school and see a dual Weezer and the Foo Fighters concert.

I did.

This is the review I'm submitting to the local paper.

Enjoy, I know I did.

Smirnoff Music Centre, Dallas - A Foo Fighters and Weezer co-headline tour makes total sense. Both bands are synonymous with "alternative rock," they're arena rock veterans, and both bands recently put out new albums (‘Make Believe’ and ‘In Your Honor’ respectively). Both bands have at least a decade of material to choose from, and when a show blends two bands that have exemplified everything true musicians should stand for with that much material, the gods of rock smile.

Truth be told, I was prepared to give a review about how little animation and variation Weezer showed, how they “rocked straight through” and didn’t move, how lead singer Rivers Cuomo didn’t talk, etc. etc., and The Foo Fighters were a bundle of energy.

Now I have to write something completely different.

Coming onto the stage swaying to Disney’s “When you wish upon a star,” the audience cheered and put their thumbs together and extended their index and middle fingers to form the Weezer W. It’s obvious at this point that Weezer has grown as showmen. All members of the band played all the instruments at least once. Everyone sang at least one song. At one point the lights turned off and the band left the stage, then the spotlights came on in an unoccupied handicapped seating podium. Standing there was Rivers, with just a microphone and acoustic guitar to perform an acoustic solo of “Island in the sun.”

One thing that used to stand out about “the Weez” is that they did not talk in their shows. Now they talk. At one point bassist Scott Shriner chose an audience member at random, at River’s behest, to play the acoustic portion of “Undone (the sweater song).” A kid named Andrew stepped up, and he “Knew how to rock.”

The Foo Fighters took the stage after Weezer covered one of theirs. (The Foo Fighters covered Creedence Clearwater Revival’s “Born on the Bayou,” as lead singer Dave Grohl said that most of Weezer’s stuff was “too complicated to do on short notice.”)

I’ll admit it now - Dave Grohl is brilliant, although he's far too modest to say so. The Foo Fighters are renowned for their catchy songs, hilariously artistic videos, and surprisingly impassioned live performances make Grohl solid energy on stage; he led his band-mates through each song with ferocity and commitment, which gets the entire audience up and moving in no time after resting their behinds after standing up through Weezer.

Grohl took his former place with Nirvana at the drums whilst drummer Taylor sang, but just once, and at the end of the show. Their extended jam session of songs was in fact amazing, blending old and new alike, and playing every song that I personally wanted to hear. Dave Grohl is a genius, but the man talks. A lot. It’s entertaining to be sure, and just adds to the experience.

While the word "great" is liberally used in far too many contexts these days, I'll go out on a limb here. The Foo Fighters and Weezer may not have reached the pinnacle of greatness just yet, but they're damn close, and as good as we've got in the alt-rock genre at this point. The show captures just about everything one wants – solid rocking with abundant energy.

The Foo Fighters are taking a break from “The Foozer Tour” as drummer Taylor (a Dallas native) gets married. Weezer is doing two firsts and playing in Mexico City and Curitiba, Brazil before joining back up with Dave and his boys for the rest of the tour in San Diego on Sept. 27. There are still more than a dozen shows left on the roster, bouncing from east to west coast. If you can make it to one of these shows, I strongly, strongly urge you to see it. Dave Grohl said it best “This is by far the best show I have ever been to,” then he winked and added that he’s “been to a few.”

Something of this magnitude isn’t going to come around again for a long while.

Penitent
18-09-2005, 07:44
Nice review. At least as good, and not nearly as pretentious, as a concert review I'd read in The Washington Post.

Two great bands; I'm jealous you saw them, and I didn't.

Lord Setra
18-09-2005, 09:45
I envy you so much Engle.

Damn your hide. Great review made me feel like I was there.

Inquisitor Engel
18-09-2005, 13:00
At least as good, and not nearly as pretentious, as a concert review I'd read in The Washington Post.

Thanks. That means a lot.

I'm trying to steer away from the pretentiousness of so many literary reviews that seems to be the trend nowadays. The worst part of it all is that many of the reviewers aren't musicians themselves, or don't even have a music theory or history credit to their degrees.

But oh well. One man cannot change world reviewership. ;)

Wiseman
18-09-2005, 14:04
Great review, wish i could go to see this concert sometime, but that wont happen:(

tzeentchgiant
18-09-2005, 17:06
Lucky you, one hell of a review, made only better by the two bands you wrote about.

Very cool, I also envy you.

TG

The Dragon Reborn
18-09-2005, 17:14
I Saw my first naked girl at a weezer concert, oddly enough I dont even like them
but they do hold a secial place in my heart

tzeentchgiant
18-09-2005, 17:18
I Saw my first naked girl at a weezer concert, oddly enough I dont even like them

You don't like naked girls, what's wrong with you? ;)

TG

thegnome
19-09-2005, 08:31
Instead of seeing that double bill when it was in town, I instead went to a Folk Music Festival and saw John Prine, Alison Krauss & Union Station and my personal favourite, Ryan Adams. That was good enough for me. If I'd gone to the other show, I would have gone for the Foo Fighters, since Weezer's Make Believe just doesn't capture me like older material has.

Inquisitor Engel
20-09-2005, 04:26
since Weezer's Make Believe just doesn't capture me like older material has.

See, I honestly have to disagree with that now.

When I first heard it, most of Make Believe, with the exception of Beverly Hills, wasn't really that good. It was good, but not BLUE ALBUM good. But the more I listened to it, and honestly it grew on me.

A lot.

I honestly have to say that, overall, Make Believe is the best Weezer album. Before you clobber me, I have to say that that's a bit of speculation based on future perspective of it. It doesn't have the nostalgia bit that earlier albums do, but I think it blends almost everything I like about all four previous albums into one album.

I have the abstract-yet-honest lyrics and supurb guitar work of the Blue Album all over the album. I have the naked emotional lyrics and simple chords of Pinkerton in the last two tracks. I have the catchy-yet-heavy guitar riffs and lyrics of Maladroit in 'We are all on drugs' and I get sing-song lyrics and fun melodies of the Green Album all over. (This is such a pity in particular)

It's fantastic. I love it. Honestly it's now the only album can listen to without skipping any songs, regardless of mood.

I listened to the entire discography (Including 'The Lion and the Witch LP' and the bonus 10th anniversary Blue Album) on my drive back up to school, and it just blends everything so well.

Overall, I have to say that Make Believe is about as close to the "true" Weezer as Rivers wants, especially after listening to the kitchen tapes and pre-album tracks on the bonus disc. (Although Say it Ain't so remained almost entirely unchanged) It may be a matter of taste, but I have to rank the albums as:

Make Believe (2005)
Blue Album (1994)
Pinkerton (1996)
Green Album (2000)
Maladroit (2002)
Hearing it all done live (and the fact that they played nothing at all from Maladroit) helps, as it's simply supurb. It's simply amazing.

The Dragon Reborn
21-09-2005, 22:14
You don't like naked girls, what's wrong with you? ;)

TG

wow that did not come out right

I ment that i dont like weezer

dang I feel smart

Helicon_One
22-09-2005, 10:52
Cool, two good bands I've not yet seen but would like to. Nice review too.

Now make sure you catch up on whatever school work you missed!

Tim

Exterminatus
22-09-2005, 11:07
Nice review