PDA

View Full Version : CSM as Thousand Sons?

Buddha777
10-12-2007, 01:20
Look, I'm pretty darn poor but I like to compete at local tournies and I'm finally getting in gear with my CSM army. One of the new revision in the codex are the Thousand Sons which are just ungodly MEQ killers from my playtesting but I simply don't have the $80 or so dollars to buy 2 new metal squads of them. So I am just trying to get a consensus from other players if they would object at a tournament to regular bolter carrying CSMs painted in TS colors and used as such? Now I play Black Legion so they are half black anyway, but please give me your thoughts.

chaotic
10-12-2007, 01:23
i wouldn't mind, as long as you used the right rules for them and told me before the game

The Orange
10-12-2007, 01:30
Hard to say for a tournament, but if your going to the trouble of repainting them to look like TS I'd have no problem playing them.

Strikerkc
10-12-2007, 01:34
the problem your going to run into the most is if you have tzeench marked regular space marines.

If the only squads you have are thousand suns, then it would work best. But if Squad "A" is thousand sons, and squad "B" is a marked normal squad, and they're both the same or similar paint job then it's going to be complicated.

Buddha777
10-12-2007, 01:39
Wow thanks for the quick replies. Back at Strikerkc, I don't have any tzeench marked marines or characters so they would be the only blue and gold units on the field.

toxic_wisdom
10-12-2007, 02:47
On a social level with friends I guess it would be okay.

But sorry, at a tournament level I'd expect to see Thousand Sons models if you want to field a Thousand Sons unit.

Remember this is a hobby as well as a game. And ( proper ) modeling is one of those parts of the hobby/game.

jobi
10-12-2007, 02:49
Just use Khorne Berzerker heads painted like TS.

==Me==
10-12-2007, 04:58
Go for it, paint them TSon-ish and you would be all set.

Rioghan Murchadha
10-12-2007, 05:26

But sorry, at a tournament level I'd expect to see Thousand Sons models if you want to field a Thousand Sons unit.

Remember this is a hobby as well as a game. And ( proper ) modeling is one of those parts of the hobby/game.

Err.. proper modelling is part of the 'hobby'. You aren't going to win best looking army with basic CSM as Tsons, but as far as the game goes, they're just 3d playing pieces that some people like to pretty up. Keep in mind that at most GW tournies, it's possible to take best general with an unpainted army.

Vaktathi
10-12-2007, 05:32
Look, I'm pretty darn poor but I like to compete at local tournies and I'm finally getting in gear with my CSM army. One of the new revision in the codex are the Thousand Sons which are just ungodly MEQ killers from my playtesting but I simply don't have the $80 or so dollars to buy 2 new metal squads of them. So I am just trying to get a consensus from other players if they would object at a tournament to regular bolter carrying CSMs painted in TS colors and used as such? Now I play Black Legion so they are half black anyway, but please give me your thoughts.

I'd say you may want a little more than just Thousand Sons colors, maybe keep them Black Legion but add something to the model to suggest either a forcefield, more impressive weaponry, or both and play them as a "counts-as" type conversion?

toxic_wisdom
10-12-2007, 05:35
Err.. proper modelling is part of the 'hobby'. You aren't going to win best looking army with basic CSM as Tsons, but as far as the game goes, they're just 3d playing pieces that some people like to pretty up. Keep in mind that at most GW tournies, it's possible to take best general with an unpainted army.

Erm... what are you talking about ?

Preston
10-12-2007, 05:44
Well, I was thinking about doing the same thing, using 9 of the Tzeentch champion heads and a sorcerer model as the leader.

Since TS are the only CSM squads led by a sorcerer. It *should* be obvious. Also, if you can, try to give most of them loin cloths or something to make them look more TS ish.

Luckywallace
10-12-2007, 07:29
Could always paint a squad up in the "pre-heresy" Thousand Sons style.

If I remember it's a kind of beige or pinky/red colour. They look like "normal" marines but are by definition "Thousand Sons". Still should be explained before a game, but I'd have no problem with that.

madden
10-12-2007, 11:21
You could cut the head peice shape out of thin foam board or plasti card then stick on the helmets paint them up and go for it, plus in a torny you could get extra for the conversion work

Norsehawk
10-12-2007, 11:40
if you don't feel like doing custom conversions, you can get the heads from bits order on the gw site for 2 bucks for 2 heads. In a box of thousand sons, you get 8 heads, the sorcerer, 6 ts torsos, 2 bolter/cloth sprues, the sorcerer, 6 shoulder pads, and 2 sets of metal arms. to make a squad look like thousand sons, just grab the heads and run with those. They are distinctive enough to clearly mark them as Thousand sons.

Rick_1138
10-12-2007, 12:07

Define for me, what you would state as proper modelling then mate.

We cannot all afford a whole swath of models or we may want to go a different route, such as conversion or a theme, i.e. pre heresy colours.

I am in nthe fortunate position of being able to splash out on a whole new army iof i want to every now and then, however a lot of the kids in my store only buy now and then, what they can afford or hav saved up for, should they not be allowed to field thae army they want.

In tournament rules as long as you have it stated what the models are, and this can be easily identified, then you are okay.

Tournament stipulations are basically wysiwyg, 3 colours\ based and a legal army list.

Thousand sons at the most basic level are CSM, as long as you have CSM painted in a nice, blue\gold scheme and they looked distinct from your other marines\deamons et al then a tournament cannot ban\stop you from playing as that would then dictate that only people who can pay for all of the exact bits in their army can play. as this would be like saying you wanted to play a blood angels army but were using ultramarine models, it doesn't work.

You could make a Dante model out of a bits box, as long as it had a jump pack and a space marine, its what ever you want it to be.

You could always go with the pre-heresy colours, as the TS didn'tr have the 'ploom' bits to their helmet at that time!

However using eldar models etc would be a big no no, they have to be within the 'feel' of the armny, in this case chaos marines.

As long as it looks about right, i.e. CSM then you can do pretty much what you want within the tournament stipulations:D

EVIL INC
10-12-2007, 23:40
By all means, I would say go for it. I agree with the fact that it could get complicated with reguler marines just having the mark and getting them confused. I would say be sure to pose them as static and "robotlike" as possible. Be sure to go overboard on the converting as well. Might be a good idea to mix in a lot of khemri bits to help them stand out too.

jazzdude78
11-12-2007, 00:35
Khemri-ing them up is a good way to circumvent their non 1k sonsness

Warboss Grimmtoof
11-12-2007, 02:31
As long as they were painted in a Tsons scheme no. Why would every sorcerer dress up his bolter-carrying dollie/bodyguards as walking pyramids?

Weezeh
11-12-2007, 10:36

:wtf:

It is exactly this "mightier-than-thou" attitude which puts new players off.

Gorbad Ironclaw
11-12-2007, 11:25
Why does it have to be the 'proper' 1k sons models? As long as they are painted/modeled to fit the part, and there are no confusion possible, does it matter if they come with a GW stamp saying Thousand Sons?

Would that also mean you couldn't use alternative models(often non-GW) for other things?

EVIL INC
11-12-2007, 14:11
It doesnt have to be "official" thousand sons marines. Telling you you have to use them sounds like the ploy of a retailer to sell more of the expensive models that dont sell well on thier own or the ploy of a rich gamer to keep the "riff-raff" from using an army they want to be exclusively "thiers" in thier areas. The models should not HAVE to be official thousand sons marines so long as they are easily recognizable as them (converted to suit).
You also do not have to go so far as making them walking pyramids either. That is an overexageration of converting. A few bits, proper posing and paint job will do the trick easily.

Rioghan Murchadha
12-12-2007, 00:52
Erm... what are you talking about ?

Very simple. I was talking about keeping the aspects of the hobby seperate, as they should be. A model to a gamer, is little more than a pretty 3d marker for the game he is playing. It might as well be a penny, or a cardboard counter, but it looks nicer.

To a hobbyist, the model is everything. It MUST be the appropriate GW model, or be scratch built/converted to be better, and it MUST be painted.

GW doesn't even share your attitude that the hobby is both painting and gaming put together, and they demonstrate this by allowing unpainted armies at many of their tournaments. They also have seperate awards for gaming achievement, and painting.

Of course, GW would LIKE everyone to be raving hobbyists, because it's those people who spend the most money on product.