PDA

View Full Version : Is a plastic baneblade overkill as a base model for a battlewagon?

Inquizitor Aohd
10-12-2007, 02:12
Looks about right to me, but I tend to go a bit crazy with orks.

Anyone done this?

The Orange
10-12-2007, 02:18
Common now, were talking about Orks here, BIGGA IZ BETTA ;).

FrankManic
10-12-2007, 02:49
Bigga iz betta. But it needz more rivvits!

Triggerdog
10-12-2007, 02:51
I agree, more rivits. I dont even play orks and I think it would make a sweet battle wagon.

Rikens
10-12-2007, 03:04
It might make a good battlefortress, but it's too big for just a battlewagon. I recommend finding out what the dimensions are for the Forgeworld battlewagons.

FrankManic
10-12-2007, 04:17
It might make a good battlefortress, but it's too big for just a battlewagon. I recommend finding out what the dimensions are for the Forgeworld battlewagons.

Nah. Dah FW battlewagon is weedy. It ain't got enough presence on the battlefield. Ya gotz ta shove twenty ah the ladz into er, remember?

PS - Go ask the guys at the Waagh what they think. They'll probably tell you that a Baneblade is too small, and that you should look into using a toyota as your base.

BrainFireBob
10-12-2007, 04:59
The idea: Sufficiently Orky.

The question: Not Orky enough.

Rikens
10-12-2007, 05:01
Nah. Dah FW battlewagon is weedy. It ain't got enough presence on the battlefield. Ya gotz ta shove twenty ah the ladz into er, remember? I find the Forgeworld battlewagon models to be very Orkish. If Orks aren't hanging onto the sides because of personal space issues inside the cabin, it's not Orkish enough!

Ward.
10-12-2007, 05:03
PS - Go ask the guys at the Waagh what they think. They'll probably tell you that a Baneblade is too small, and that you should look into using a toyota as your base.

He means starting with a van of course, no ork warlord worth his choppa would be seen leading a corolla into battle.

Bunnahabhain
10-12-2007, 19:48
I'd go with a battlefortress as well. It's just too big to be a battlewagon, although you could have it as a dual purpose one, gaining/losing structure points as appropriate to the battle.

lord_blackfang
10-12-2007, 19:50
I don't want to think about how large your Skullhamma would be...

nathonicus
10-12-2007, 19:54
I just built my Baneblade and I've built plenty of scratch-built ork vehicles. The Baneblade is, I think, too large for a regular battlewagon. A Land Raider gives a better footprint for a battle-wagon, leaving you a bane blade as a template for a Battle Fortress.

FYI, Plastic Baneblade footprint is rougly 6" x 9".

ORKIMEDES_Da_ORK
10-12-2007, 20:51
I think itīs too big for a battlewagon, but if you want to
play in the new Apocalypse format it is just right for a
Skullhamma (and packing more punch too, and carrying 30(!) Ork boyz)

I made mine from the tracks of a 1/35 scale German WW2 Panther, I think it has just the right size as it takes 20 boyz in the back.
http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x245/orkimedes/battlewagon.jpg

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x245/orkimedes/battlewtop.jpg
/Orkimedes

Zorz Muaddieb
10-12-2007, 21:34
IMO, bigger is better especially with orks and you need a grot or two on the side putting more rivits in. :)

-Z

EVIL INC
10-12-2007, 23:21
I think an expanded rhino would be great for a battlewagon and a converted land raider would also be great. A lot cheaper then the baneblade even if it is less impressive. I agree, the baneblade is better suited for the mobile fortressses.

Bregalad
11-12-2007, 00:25
I have seen one looted Baneblade here on Warseer but can't find it anymore.
It had the tracks at the side, but was hollow in the middle (no turret or hull), to make room for lots of troops on the platform there. looked really nice. Hope the poster will join this thread.

"This conversion is crazy!" "No, this is WAAAAGH!"

Grimtuff
11-12-2007, 00:32
I have seen one looted Baneblade here on Warseer but can't find it anymore.
It had the tracks at the side, but was hollow in the middle (no turret or hull), to make room for lots of troops on the platform there. looked really nice. Hope the poster will join this thread.

"This conversion is crazy!" "No, this is WAAAAGH!"

You're either on about this one
http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115060&highlight=battlewagon

Or mine (which incidentally is based on 2 Land Raiders and is bigger than a Baneblade ;) )
http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93344

Bregalad
11-12-2007, 00:45
I have seen the first one, thanks.
But in this case, I would prefer yours :)

Rick_1138
11-12-2007, 10:39
You need:

Plasticard,

Scalpel,

Baneblade,

a desire to cut baneblade up....

Orkses!

Commence!

AdmiralDick
11-12-2007, 12:54
Nah. Dah FW battlewagon is weedy. It ain't got enough presence on the battlefield. Ya gotz ta shove twenty ah the ladz into er, remember?

to be honest GW has some real scale issues. the new war-truck which is the same price (in money) as a Rhino, but is a significantly inferior unit (game wise), but is strangely far larger than its rules would imply. its practically the same sizes as the old plastic Battle Wagon. i fear that a similar situation is going to occur here as it did with the Defiler. people are going to ignore the rules and assume the unit is as good as the model looks and the price they paid for it implies. they're then going to discover very quickly that it does not perform that well and they are going to moan until the design team make it the same as a Battle Wagon for the next codex.

i would personally not make a Battle Wagon out of a Baneblade because they are not even remotely comparable in bulk based on rules (does the Battle Wagon have sturcture points?). its not even as bulky as a Land Raider, although its scale is larger so i guess you could use that as a base for the model.

Grimtuff
11-12-2007, 16:33
i would personally not make a Battle Wagon out of a Baneblade because they are not even remotely comparable in bulk based on rules (does the Battle Wagon have sturcture points?). its not even as bulky as a Land Raider, although its scale is larger so i guess you could use that as a base for the model.

Depends if you want to physically put the Orks in the Battlewagon, mine for example house 10 Mega armoured Nobz, a Warboss and a Big Mek, so it kindof had to be that big.

Inquizitor Aohd
11-12-2007, 16:40
Depends if you want to physically put the Orks in the Battlewagon, mine for example house 10 Mega armoured Nobz, a Warboss and a Big Mek, so it kindof had to be that big.

Isn't that too many guys? I mean mega nobs count as two guys right?

scientist tz
11-12-2007, 17:48
I'm totally doing it someday.

In Apoc. games it will be a battle fortress. In 40k a Battlewagon with lots o' gunz.

Grimtuff
11-12-2007, 18:08
Isn't that too many guys? I mean mega nobs count as two guys right?

Ahem, yes, i've just checked the codex. It was legal under the old codex though :o

ChaosMaster
11-12-2007, 18:09
Is a plastic baneblade overkill as a base model for a battlewagon?
No it is not. It makes for terrific conversions. I've seen a great Battlewagon built from a Baneblade conversion at my local Battle Bunker game club. It's also excellent for other conversions as well and I've seen some great ones already.

FrankManic
11-12-2007, 20:27
Okay, from a tactical standpoint, you might not want to use a baneblade. It's a very large target, which makes the orks inside vulnerable. A battlewagon based on a Land Raider is far more reasonable, sane, cost effective, and Responsible. Which is, I feel, the strongest reason you could ask for to use the Baneblade.

Orks know that bigger is betta and biggest is best!

Grazzy
11-12-2007, 21:12
Battlefortress would be great. Like the imperial gorgon it would role up shooting lots of dakka and then unload a load of boyz.

AdmiralDick
11-12-2007, 22:16

regardless of whether your specific example is leagle or not, i do totally accept that size is an important issue (with the orginal Battle Wagon it was the cheif concern as any models that fell off it would take a hit), but size does not equate to bulk. a Battle Wagon should look as hard as its stats imply, but its stats imply nothing about its size.

if i were going to build one i would use either a Landraider as the base (probably starting with the tracks and widening the body with plasticard) or a couple of imperial tanks (either chimera or leman russes or both). that way you'd have the size needed but it would not appear far bulkier that it actually was.

obviously i have nothing against Inquizitor Aohd or anyone else making what ever conversions they feel comfortable with. that's entirely up to them and i'm certainly not going to quash creativity. however, i just worry that there sometimes little or no corrolation between the rules and the model of a vehicle and that doesn't do much for the future of either.

Ork vehicles should, by their nature, be more spacious but much more flimsy than Imperial technology.