PDA

View Full Version : Lights in 40k

CRasterImage
10-12-2007, 06:10
While reading many books over the years, I have noticed two types of lighting often mentioned.

"Electro-Lumin" and "Chemical Lamps"

What color and properties have you read for either of these?
What has your impression been?

(this is a strange question, I know)

Treadhead_1st
10-12-2007, 06:13
I think there is a mention in Gaunt's Ghosts of Sodium Lights, emitting "harsh, stark white light" or somesuch.

AdmiralDick
10-12-2007, 10:15
i would guess that the former, 'Electro-lumin', is likely to be just a fancy way of saying a filiment bulb, so its likely to behave like an average bulb would these days. there are of course other kinds of electricity based lights such as neon tubes and LEDs but they're less likely to be described by their electrical properties.

the second i suspect is mere fantasy. there are various chemical reaction that give off light in such a way that they can be harnessed, but by their nature they have a very limited life span. so i guess that the writers have simply speculated as to what technical innovations there might be in the future and tried to move away from devices that are well known today and towards things that are still on the fringes. if that is the case the lights can have whatever properties you want them to. i guess most people go for strong green or red lights because it is very evocative of chemical flares and really quite atmospheric.

NerdyOgre254
10-12-2007, 10:26
I'd go white for the first one and blue for the second one. but that's my opinion on it.

PlasticFork
10-12-2007, 12:01
Electricity suggests to me blue... and those chemical light sticks you get are usually yellow, green or orange etc. So I would have thought that a chemical lamp would be coloured, rather than white.

I've come across "glo-globes" before. I think in Gav Thorpe's stuff. I reckon they're probably more yellowy.

HiveFleetEzekial
10-12-2007, 13:11
From the bits of fluff I've read containing both of these, and other (non-40k) sources using the same 'types...

Electro-lumin (electionic/electric-luminescence). Like the ink used in some tattoos that Inq's have, is a substance that in it's neutral state, has no real colour of it's own, or can made to look like any color when it's 'off'. But when an electric current it passed through it, it will glow, typically an almost pastel blue or greenish blue (not aqua). But could be changed to glow any color wanted.

Chemical lamps: Think of those night sticks we all had as kids (mostly on halloween). Snap, shake, and they'll glow whatever colour they're made for.

RexTalon
10-12-2007, 17:16
Lets not forget that Kerosene and other fuels are chemicals. Therefore, a chemical lamp could just be a fancy name for something ordinary. Those lamps you take camping, or gas power street lamps could be considered Chemical lamps. They give off an almost white, but slightly yellow light.

Fangschrecken
10-12-2007, 17:29
probably not that helpfull but sodium lamps are those orangish ones you see in parking lots

SpaceLanceCorporal
10-12-2007, 17:42
The only light you need concern yourself with is the light of the Emperor.

CRasterImage
10-12-2007, 17:48
probably not that helpfull but sodium lamps are those orangish ones you see in parking lots

Actually, that was incredibly important. I didn't want to mention the colors yellow, amber or orange until everyone had their say. I didn't want to plant the idea.

For some artwork I am doing on a game, I think Electro-Lumin will be white, with just a tint of blue-green. Like a florescent light.

While chemical (sodium) lamps will be a warmer amber color.

What do you think?

Fangschrecken
10-12-2007, 18:04
sounds cool. you drawing a cityscape? i picture an imperial hive city as in a perpetual gloom, with orange street lamps, and those kinda lights you see on police stations outside doors

CRasterImage
10-12-2007, 18:15
No, I am doing artwork for a Space Hulk video game.

AdmiralDick
10-12-2007, 18:24
For some artwork I am doing on a game, I think Electro-Lumin will be white, with just a tint of blue-green. Like a florescent light.

While chemical (sodium) lamps will be a warmer amber color.

What do you think?

as i said before, they're both ficticious imaginings of what might be, so there's no real reason to assume they can't be anything. so if you're cool with it then go for it.

but i would just point out the the florescent lamps that you find in offices and the sodium lamps that are used as road lighting are in principle the same thing. both use gases excited by an electric current to emmit light, the only difference is that the latter has added sodium in it which gives of the strong orange/yellow light that penetrates fog better. i personally wouldn't have said they were so different that they required the dramatically different discriptions that you cite, and neither uses a chemical reaction. but if you are only looking for what sort of colours you might expect a light to give out then its not really an issue. people don't use strong blue or red lights for a reason (you can't see anything).

Colonel Stagler
10-12-2007, 18:28
i would say, on a space hulk there would be yellowing dull lumostrips, like in the place you go to have your driving test,or other 70s built government buildings.

AdmiralDick
10-12-2007, 18:35
No, I am doing artwork for a Space Hulk video game.

ahh, well that's another thing again then. are you imagining that the lighting system on the hulk is working optimally or that they are on emergancy lighting and torches (flashlights)?

because emergancy lighting is typically red for a few key reasons: 1) it requires less energy to generate red light 2) it is dramatically different enough to make everyone aware of the situation 3) it is still possible to see things (under blue light visibility is impaired too much) 4) because it is lower energy it is harder to spot, which is why in films they always use red lights in helicopters performing black ops at night (less important in this particular situation, but you might want to bear that in mind when considering what imagery the colours will bring to the mind of the veiwer).

conversley torches and flashlights are usually white light and as highpowered as they can be to allow for better visibility. LEDs are generally seen as the way forward at the moment because of their low power consumption, but halogen bulbs are still generally more powerful.

CRasterImage
10-12-2007, 18:50
I was thinking that the hallways would be illuminated by weak overhead blue-green lighting from Electro-Lumin strips. While many rooms would be more brightly lit by amber Chemical Lamps. The Space Hulk will be dark, for the most part. Those lights that do work will often flicker. I would like to include red emergency lights here and there. However, I don't want them to dominate the maps. They bleed away too much detail. Especially Blood Angels Terminators. :-(

[edit] The main light source will be lamps built into the Terminator suits.

RexTalon
10-12-2007, 18:52
The only light you need concern yourself with is the light of the Emperor.

YOU FOR THE WIN!!!!