PDA

View Full Version : Nightwish

Baggers
18-09-2005, 09:01
So yesterday I bought Oceanborn by Nightwish and as I sit listening through this album I noticed that they have covered Walking in the Air, which is a good song, but it does not seem to fit with thier style. though thier cover is good. What are your thoughts?

Grimtuff
18-09-2005, 11:13
So yesterday I bought Oceanborn by Nightwish and as I sit listening through this album I noticed that they have covered Walking in the Air, which is a good song, but it does not seem to fit with thier style. though thier cover is good. What are your thoughts?

Not actually heard that track by them but I own two of their albums (Wishmaster and Century Child). In what way does it not fit their style?

(IMO their style being most of the tracks sound relatively the same, so make for great background/atmospheric music and not much else)

Rabid Bunny 666
18-09-2005, 11:35
i've heard once, its awesome, the oly song i don't like is the last one, cn't remember its name though

Baggers
18-09-2005, 12:22
Well to me thier a metal band and there covering a childrens song really, it maybe just me but I dont feel it fits with the rest of the album

Grimtuff
18-09-2005, 13:04
Well to me thier a metal band and there covering a childrens song really, it maybe just me but I dont feel it fits with the rest of the album

might be in the same league as the cover of Phantom of the Opera then, so not really in the same vein as the rest of their tracks (mainly due to the precense on a male vocalist on this one)

Arnizipal
18-09-2005, 13:46
They became a bit 'harder' on their later albums (like Once), but originally Nightwish was pretty mellow. They've been described as 'fairy-tale metal' :)

athamas
18-09-2005, 15:03
nightwish is great a background music, to have on when you are doing other stuff!

i have ... i think... all thier tracks... a few are abit odd, but walking in the air is a good one...

(Evil)Ash
18-09-2005, 17:52
I (IMhO) don't like oceanborn, to me it was to soft. I do own the later three (wishmaster, century child and once). though how I love these albums when I buy them, I never seem to stick with them. at a certain point I just get bored with them. I have the same with Rhapsody (who btw just stopped making progress and are now repeating themselves, symphony of inchanted lands part 2?! come on :rolleyes: ). So I'm not saying they're bad or anything, they just don't seem to keep me interrested enough.

greetz, :evilgrin:

The_Chaos_Seer
18-09-2005, 22:05
A friend of mine bought the album recently, but I found it wasn't quite as good as their older stuff. He thought it was hundreds of times better - But my favorite song still remains The Pharoah Sails To Orion.

Arnizipal
18-09-2005, 22:49
A friend of mine bought the album recently, but I found it wasn't quite as good as their older stuff. He thought it was hundreds of times better - But my favorite song still remains The Pharoah Sails To Orion.
Older stuff? Oceanborn was their second album! :eyebrows:

Koraath
19-09-2005, 06:43
yeah oceanborn is the second album after angels fall first like all their stuff its got good moments and i think walking in the air is definatley in their style i mean it comes directly after sleeping sun which is another melodious tune. nightwish are a great band though and i currently own in one form or another everything they have ever made inc. DVD's.

lord_blackfang
19-09-2005, 09:24
I like "End of all Hope" (I think that's the title,) but the rest is pretty lame.

Fun fact: Nightwish had a live concert in my home town this weekend. I didn't go.

Hercco
19-09-2005, 09:43
Nightwish became hugely popular here because of the cover songs. Walking in the Air and that especially Over the Hills got a lot of radio play. I guess that's the only option when you can't write good songs yourself.

Fun fact: Nightwish had a live concert in my home town this weekend. I didn't go.
Good for you.

Crube
19-09-2005, 10:37
Nightwish became hugely popular here because of the cover songs. Walking in the Air and that especially Over the Hills got a lot of radio play. I guess that's the only option when you can't write good songs yourself.

Good for you.

Ouch

I like their version of Walking in the air, which surprised me as the one by Aled Jones makes me want to hurt people. Badly. I also liked the Over the Hills cover.

Having said that, I think their best songs are ones they have written. Pharoah Sails to Orion, Wishmaster, Creek mary's Blood, the list goes on really. Only one or two songs I'm not too keen on...

x-esiv-4c
19-09-2005, 13:27
Personally, i'm more of a fan of the new stuff. I love the lastest album.

Arnizipal
19-09-2005, 14:58

Good for you.
That does it!
Consider your Pet taunted, mister! :chrome:

Yog Sogoth
19-09-2005, 17:39

Good for you.

What's wrong with covering songs?

Do you like music from the 60's and 70's? Almost every band from these decades got famous from they're covers.

Also I do like Nightwish. That's all.