PDA

View Full Version : 10-12% off all GW products - from GW themselves!

andyfair
10-12-2007, 09:36
Can't believe it hasn't been mentioned on here already, but deserves its own thread even if it has.

If people can stop complaining about GW for one minute...

Spend 100+ in store and receive a 10 gift voucher

Spend 250+ in store and receive a 30 gift voucher

As of last Saturday 8th December. The posters may not be up in stores yet but the offer is on. With two gameplayers in our household (myself and my son), spending the 250 for Christmas was easy and we get 30 of stuff free.

ankara halla
10-12-2007, 09:39
It's allready has been talked about States side (http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114227), and this is basically just the same offer.

andyfair
10-12-2007, 09:43
It's allready has been talked about States side (http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114227), and this is basically just the same offer.

No it's not.

This is a UK deal and is 10% on a 100 spend NOT the 5% international offer talked about in the other thread.

Even store staff didn't know about this in advance when we were in the shop on Saturday, there were phoned through with the information that day. Emailed out to WD online subscribers on Friday.

30 for a 250 spend is an excellent incentive.

simonjedi
10-12-2007, 10:24
"Moan, moan, moan stupid GW offering a discount whinge, whinge "

Its a good idea, i could easily spend 100 quid on stuff , thanks for the heads up.

grickherder
10-12-2007, 10:48
A gift voucher like this isn't enough of a price cut to get me interested. Especially considering the exchange rate difference between the USD and CAD. It's a step in the right direction, but it's not yet enough.

Jedi152
10-12-2007, 10:51
Finally! Woo!

Good to see GW starting the incentives up!

pookie
10-12-2007, 11:09
sorry not impressed, 10% off would have been better than a 10 voucher that i spend in store! oh well nay mind eh! ( id be murdered if i dreamt of buying 100 GW stuff at one go! im still in the Dog house of 52.00 i spent in there last month!)

Jedi152
10-12-2007, 11:13
( id be murdered if i dreamt of buying 100 GW stuff at one go! im still in the Dog house of 52.00 i spent in there last month!)
Haha! Me too! I daren't break the news to her about the vampire release next year...

Orlanth
10-12-2007, 11:51
I also cannot afford to spend 100 in one go at GW. However this could be a way of cutting prices without repricing everything, so its a good sign. I can only hope its the beginning of a new trend.

A recession is coming, taxes are rising, and people will not have the disposable income they used to. GW must budge on prices one way or another.

catbarf
10-12-2007, 11:54
Ladies and gentlemen, if you're going to Hell soon you might want to bring a coat.

andyfair
10-12-2007, 11:55
this could be a way of cutting prices without repricing everything, so its a good sign. I can only hope its the beginning of a new trend.

I don't think it's anything of the sort.

Most major retailers are doing some sort of Christmas promotion. It appears GW is simply throwing its hat in the ring and trying to make sure you (and they) have a good Christmas.

Rick_1138
10-12-2007, 11:56
i got mine yeaterday, i bought a tool set (these are really good by the way, tool quality is excelent, and you get foam for model WIP and paints etc.), a high elf dragon (converting for my woodie highborne!) and a WD subscription, I got my beakie space marine, i was happy.

So all in 130, ( my ccard is in rehab now!) and i got a voucher, hmm what to spend it on....i get untill Jan next year to spend it.

andyfair
10-12-2007, 11:57
sorry not impressed

I knew it wouldn't take long :D

pookie
10-12-2007, 13:49
I knew it wouldn't take long :D

dont get me wrong im all for GW helping us out ( and its about time ), but id still recon we should get a discount - not a voucher to spend on more GW stuff thats all.

Preacher
10-12-2007, 14:00
Does'nt GW do this every year at this time?
I seem to remember this same thing going on last christmas.
I live in Canada, so we're still all pissed off about the dollar issues between us and the states.
If they wanted to do something nice then they should match the US prices here in canada for the holidays.

Example 1 - Assualt Marine box $40.00 CDN - - $25.00 USD. Our dollar is actually stronger then theirs so it would be just under $25 CDN if I cross the border to go get it...I did'nt since lots of US reatailers are willing to ship here.!!!

Thats my gripe with them right now.

blongbling
10-12-2007, 14:06
so is this going to be another US/CAN debate?

Etienne de Beaugard
10-12-2007, 14:17
Let's welcome to GW back to the world of significant discounts and worthwhile promotions. I hope GW sees some boost in sales. Maybe this will get the message through that gamers are price sensative.

I find it interesting that GW is giving vouchers instead of a true discount. I guess they really want to push people into buying more stuff. Maybe GW will loosen up enough to realize the fewer 'catches' a deal has the more people will go for it.

ankara halla
10-12-2007, 14:22
No it's not.

Yes, it is. It's a voucher you get from a large purchase that still isn't as good as "normal" discounts many places offer.

Heck, buying in such bulk from the local gamestore (brick and mortar place) will get you a better discount.

Still, it's certainly a move in the right direction and in the very least GW should be given a pat on the back for the effort.

andyfair
10-12-2007, 14:31
Yes, it is. It's a voucher you get from a large purchase that still isn't as good as "normal" discounts many places offer.

Most large retailers that are offering Christmas incentives in the UK are not offering "cash" discounts.

Either it's get more for the same price or spend money and receive gift vouchers.

So what GW are doing with this promotion is following incentives offered by other major UK retailers at this time of year.

pookie
10-12-2007, 14:41
Most large retailers that are offering Christmas incentives in the UK are not offering "cash" discounts.

Either it's get more for the same price or spend money and receive gift vouchers.

So what GW are doing with this promotion is following incentives offered by other major UK retailers at this time of year.

well i dont know about that, a 10% discount should be 10% off, not a voucher that gives you 10% back to spend in the same store which imo isnt any where near as good as what most retailers give at xmas. but hey ive been in the hobby so long im glad they have finally done something (even if im not impressed :).)

ankara halla
10-12-2007, 14:42
@andyfair

Well, that's different over there then. Over here major apartment stores are printing "Buy stuff for 100€, get 20€ off immediatly!" (or equal) vouchers in the morning newspaper.

And I was a bit off before, the standard discount when buying in bulk (5% for 100€, 10% for 200€ and 15% for 400€, they used to better but it's been years since I've bought anything...) for from the local gamestore is around the same as the offer GW is giving now.

Nevertheless, it's decent of them to make the offer in the first place.

andyfair
10-12-2007, 14:59
well i dont know about that, a 10% discount should be 10% off, not a voucher that gives you 10% back to spend in the same store which imo isnt any where near as good as what most retailers give at xmas. but hey ive been in the hobby so long im glad they have finally done something (even if im not impressed :).)

Argos, possibly just about the biggest retailer in the UK have been running a similar voucher programme. Spend 50 and get a 5 voucher.

It was me who decided to word it as 10-12% off, not GW. So blame me not them :)

crandall87
10-12-2007, 15:08
10-12% doesn't appeal to me. Especially when I can spend 500 at cripplers store and get 28% off lol

SV_Harlequin
10-12-2007, 15:14
ooh wow a whole 10 which okay is kinda nice if you are spending exactly 100 but
1 its not 10 off its 10 voucher so you have to spend it in GW.
2 if you spend over a 100 but under 250 you are still only getting 10 Voucher.

Yeah ill buy online instead and actually save money.

On this note though GW are opening a new Store and there if you Spend 25 you get a 5 Voucher - seems a better deal to me and its in London.
Just a sad shame its not up to the standard of deals you used to get with Openings - the 3 for 2 deals for instance.

pookie
10-12-2007, 15:24
Argos, possibly just about the biggest retailer in the UK have been running a similar voucher programme. Spend 50 and get a 5 voucher.

thats true.

It was me who decided to word it as 10-12% off, not GW. So blame me not them :)

10-12% doesn't appeal to me. Especially when I can spend 500 at cripplers store and get 28% off lol

QFT! although if i spent that much the missus would kill me, ring an ambulance, wait till i had been brought back, then do me in again!

yabbadabba
10-12-2007, 16:01
As usual GW dips it's toe in the water to respond to customer feedback and what do they get? More kicking :rolleyes:

And as for the old GOD days, the last time they happend in the UK was in the lmid/late 90's, so hardly a fair or current comparison.

Congratulations to all those people who buy online, or have a local B+M store stupid enough to almost wipe out their profit margin to attract customers. To all those who don't have the above luxuries, I hope even this little offer proves some use.

Vic
10-12-2007, 16:09
Wowwww....10%!! Thank you SO much GW for giving us such a discount!!! We're not worthy!!

I'll buy at an independent though for 20% off every day.

Again, thanks a bunch GW!

If they deserve the kicking in the first place.....Im stretching my leg as far back as it will go.....

Llew
10-12-2007, 16:12
It's a start. GW is in a tough position because they are both a retailer and a distributor. If they offer too much of a discount, they hurt the stores they sell to. And, generally, vouchers and rebates are one of the sleazier forms of discounts to offer since a large part of the reason for offering them is knowing a certain percentage won't be redeemed.

I can go to my FLGS and if I'm willing to plop down $200 on something, he'll usually give me 20% off the top. You can find that online all the time too.

It's a start, but seasonal discounts aren't the kind of price relief people are really discussing when they say GW needs to lower prices.

ankara halla
10-12-2007, 16:13
...or have a local B+M store stupid enough to almost wipe out their profit margin to attract customers.

Stupid? Maybe, but highly successful. For the over 20 years they've been in business they've branched out all over Finland and now have stores in 9 cities.

Yeah, for a retailer that bulk discount thing really is a stupid way to do business. Especially during the internet age when every other site is selling stuff for less than retail. Yeah, no reason to develop a business model to compeate with that.

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
10-12-2007, 16:19
"Moan, moan, moan stupid GW offering a discount whinge, whinge "

Its a good idea, i could easily spend 100 quid on stuff , thanks for the heads up.

I have seen this many, many times and now I have to ask - what the heck is "whinge"? At first I chalked it up to someone misspelling "whine", but I've seen it way to many times now for that to be the case. I'm going to go ahead and assume it means the same thing, but what's the deal?

Also, yay! Thank you for giving us some of our money back, GeeDub! I'll be expecting those all those hours I spent painting my tiny plastic men in the mail soon!

Vic
10-12-2007, 16:31
GW put themselves in this precarious situation by pricing to the hilt; not keeping an eye out on their production costs; alienating independents, veterans, non-gaming public; not keeping an eye out for current retail trends; attempting to monopolize web sales in the US by using ridiculous regulations; squandering the WD publication by not giving it value to new/current readers; fast and lose rule writing.....

So, my sympathy for them (the company) is equal to the sympathy they show me when I go to the store with the same amount of $$ that last year got me "X" amount of product and in six months gets me substantially less.

I understand fully that they are a business and as such are not a charity. Same can be said of a consumer. Give me real value for money and you'll have me as a happy customer.

Moralein
10-12-2007, 17:42
It's certainly a move in the right direction. I can see it encouraging people into GW stores, if only to buy the Christmas pressies for 'little Johnny'. Yes, the more astute of us will continue to shop online for a far larger discount but Johnny will be in to spend his voucher in the New Year, so GW will be happy.

Deamon-forge
10-12-2007, 17:57
i was at Warhammer world this Saturday 8th and i spend over 100 and did not recive a voucher.....

ankara halla
10-12-2007, 18:15
i was at Warhammer world this Saturday 8th and i spend over 100 and did not recive a voucher.....

Surely you still have the recite? Take it with you, go back and make polite inquiries. If that is a hassle for any reason at all then email them, now.

Andyalloverdaplace
10-12-2007, 19:34
Hmmm, 10% voucher if I purchase to a certain point, but in order to do that I must spend 40-60% more than my buddy who will be going across the border next month. So save 10% on my next purchase, or save 40-60 on my current one, or just not buy until things start getting fixed.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I think we have a winner, and it's still not GW Canada.

Deamon-forge
10-12-2007, 19:42
Surely you still have the recite? Take it with you, go back and make polite inquiries. If that is a hassle for any reason at all then email them, now.

I will have to take a 3hour train ride and i cant be assed for just 10 as it would cost me more to get down there, also i have no idea were i put the recite

ankara halla
10-12-2007, 19:44
Emailing still wouldn't be a bad thing to do, it certainly wouldn't cost you anything.

Khornies & milk
10-12-2007, 19:53
Something is better than nothing, so it is a step in the right direction.
I wonder if we will see it in Oz. It might be a big IF.
But I'm one of the lucky ones who gets my Minis for 25% off, so I couldn't really care less either way.

Sauron90
10-12-2007, 20:35
Might be a step in the right direction. For me I buy from a swedish online store which sells everything with a 20% discount.

RavenMorpheus
10-12-2007, 20:52
Can't believe it hasn't been mentioned on here already, but deserves its own thread even if it has.

If people can stop complaining about GW for one minute...

Spend 100+ in store and receive a 10 gift voucher

Spend 250+ in store and receive a 30 gift voucher

As of last Saturday 8th December. The posters may not be up in stores yet but the offer is on. With two gameplayers in our household (myself and my son), spending the 250 for Christmas was easy and we get 30 of stuff free.

Do you realise just how little you get for 30 these days at GW?

Rikens
10-12-2007, 20:56
I love GW. But I think I'll start paying attention when they start offering 20% off the American prices in their Canadian retail locations. Until then I'll get buying at something close to 50% off the Canadian prices (and sometimes the American prices!) by ordering from the Warstore, which is even cheaper because I can also order plastic bits!

Gaebriel
10-12-2007, 21:34
It's 10 of 110 - that's 9.09%, and 30 of 280 - that's 10.71%, just to be anal... :angel:

Templar Ben
10-12-2007, 23:31
I have seen this many, many times and now I have to ask - what the heck is "whinge"? At first I chalked it up to someone misspelling "whine", but I've seen it way to many times now for that to be the case. I'm going to go ahead and assume it means the same thing, but what's the deal?

Also, yay! Thank you for giving us some of our money back, GeeDub! I'll be expecting those all those hours I spent painting my tiny plastic men in the mail soon!

Chiefly British To complain or protest, especially in an annoying or persistent manner.

It is another case of Brits putting extra letters in their words. :p

I think the deal is going over like a slap in the face.

zippysguitar
10-12-2007, 23:39
I tend to use ebay sellers which is cheaper
Are there any other good places worth checking out to UK buyers?

violenceha
10-12-2007, 23:53
If it wasn't a six hour drive to my nearest GW store and GW oz offered something like it, I would take advantage of this deal.

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
11-12-2007, 00:10
Chiefly British To complain or protest, especially in an annoying or persistent manner.

It is another case of Brits putting extra letters in their words. :p

I think the deal is going over like a slap in the face.

Thanks Ben! Is it pronounced the same way as "whine"?

Getting these vouchers is a good thing. I'm going to spend the money on GeeDub stuff anyway, so if I get a little something back plus my merch, great! I don't know why anyone would see this as a bad thing. Yeah, maybe their minis are very expensive. That's kinda of missing the point, here. We're not saying they don't charge an arm an a leg, but we pay for the models and if they're going to give us something back in return then good on them! They certainly don't have to. Merry Christmas!

Templar Ben
11-12-2007, 00:38
No it is pronounced more like winch but with a j sound at the end.

Hope that helps.

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
11-12-2007, 00:44
No it is pronounced more like winch but with a j sound at the end.

Hope that helps.

Awesome, it did. Thank you!

Gaius_Baltar
11-12-2007, 03:07
Or you could get stuff from TheWarStore.com, and get 20% off the U.S. price, and shiping is $5 flat with the U.S. on any order size.

I ended up saving more than 30% buying a 10 leeman russ box from them, even though shiping is $40. (Payed $250 CAD with the exchange rate and stuff, while here it would be $350, then an extra 14% for taxes.)

fwacho
11-12-2007, 06:07
That vouched aint' much of a deal. here in texas there is an 8.25% sales tax. so that really amounts to 2% off retail price. (were as with free shipping and on-line out of state sale I get 20% off retial price... TEN TIMES BETTER!) I'll admit it's at least a move in the right direction. Not near a big enough step... but "baby steps , baby steps" Bob will tell you.

blongbling
11-12-2007, 07:39
I tend to use ebay sellers which is cheaper
Are there any other good places worth checking out to UK buyers?

www.maelstromgames.co.uk

Osbad
11-12-2007, 08:13
Let's welcome to GW back to the world of significant discounts and worthwhile promotions. I hope GW sees some boost in sales. Maybe this will get the message through that gamers are price sensitive.

QFT!

I understand why they "can't" just slash their prices at the level of RRP as that would affect the indie stores. Essentially this is a "store promotion" scheme designed primarily to encourage people to buy in GW stores rather than just purely and simply about shifting more product. Which is sensible as it is more sustainable than just slashing 10-12% off their prices online.

Good start GW. More please.

As it stands it doesn't go far enough for me personally, as I'd still opt for 20% off and cheap second class postage from http://www.gwonline.biz , but its a step in the right direction and an "assist" to the loyal fans who still, despite everything, buy from the GW stores.

andyfair
11-12-2007, 09:06
So much for keeping this a UK based thread.

Also typical slagging of GW from perhaps the type of people who go around stealing and downloading music for free (because why should I pay for it when I can get it for nothing).

The negativity of many posters on Warseer astounds me and I am utterly convinced that many people would slag off GW no matter what they did. Why even bother with the hobby? Go buy the miniatures as cheap as you can, have all the stores close, GW lose any uptake of new people to the hobby and hey presto in 10 years you have no new Warhammer or 40K. Maybe then you'll be happy.

Gaebriel
11-12-2007, 09:31
Apart from the insult, why should it be my part as a customer to keep a company floating if they do not offer anything competitively priced?

Go buy the miniatures as cheap as you can, have all the stores close, GW lose any uptake of new people to the hobby and hey presto in 10 years you have no new Warhammer or 40K. Maybe then you'll be happy.
Maybe we should open a "this company missed it, so donate money so they don't have to pay the price any failed business endeavour has to pay"-donation account.

I don't see a sense in not getting my stuff the cheapest way I can get it - would GW donate money to me, if I were in trouble?

Apart from, I'm not convinced GW will go under if people look for the cheapest purchase. The may take the hint and close all or some of their stores which are a neckbreaker at the moment.

For the offer, I do not think that offer is especially bad, and I do think those customers who use the stores for playing, hanging out, etc should have to pay a litte extra for that. Those who don't use the stores shouldn't be made to pay that overhead. Incidentally that's what it does, people buying at stores (who most likely use them for other activities) paying higher than those using online-discounters (who possibly don't go to stores).

Vic
11-12-2007, 12:26
Also typical slagging of GW from perhaps the type of people who go around stealing and downloading music for free (because why should I pay for it when I can get it for nothing).

The negativity of many posters on Warseer astounds me and I am utterly convinced that many people would slag off GW no matter what they did. Why even bother with the hobby? Go buy the miniatures as cheap as you can, have all the stores close, GW lose any uptake of new people to the hobby and hey presto in 10 years you have no new Warhammer or 40K. Maybe then you'll be happy.

The people who refuse to pay GW's ridiculous prices are only excercising the intelligence any wage earning adult would exhibit when confronted with the "premium" prices for what are essentially toy plastic soldiers. Couldnt formulate a well thought post, so you resorted to name calling and gross stereotyping?

IF you feel that paying GW's asking price is fair, then no one will stop you from spending your parents money on said toys, except maybe your parents. If GW continues to make ridiculous moves like offering anemic discounts, then they deserve what they get. They are after all, NOT a charity and have to earn our cash.

BTW, GW is taking themselves down. "have all the stores close, GW lose any uptake of new people to the hobby and hey presto in 10 years you have no new Warhammer or 40K." - is actually a program GW has been instituting the last 5 years with a measure of success. IF you were to call lack of sales, alienating customers and neglecting the market as "success" that is.

Rick_1138
11-12-2007, 13:18
I like how all threads with anything price related almost instantly become an 'I hate GW' rant.

Its also noticable that a lot of the moaning about prices and availability comes form the US (dont get me wrong i like Americans, i have been there many times), but GW in the UK is a completely different animal to the US.

GW offers a premium product over its rivals (and to be honest, there isn't that many in DIRECT competition, PP is good, but its a different game style, no other system offers such a product on the scale that GW does).

GW offer a constant product update schedule, yes it may take 6 months per big release, but if it released everything in 2 years, what would be the incentive for new purchases, keep the customers drawn out, this keeps them buying, that is sales renewal 101.

Also Games workshop over extended itself over the last 10 years and it is now coming back down to normalcy. I remember in 2nd ed, when there were stores in all main big cities, and a few in the more rural areas, and this was fine, however this has now expanded during the big boon of LOTR, now they have to resize, Apocolypse is a good example of seasonal big boom sales, and as a toy retailer this is their main market period, offering vouchers as an incentive for a large purpose is a good idea, although you and i may want a 20% sale every now and then, this isn't GW's way, and it is noticabl;e that the majority of kids who play get their stuff bought by their parents, these will often be well off families, and they will pay what is asked of them.

In the US the economics are somewhat different, there is a massive selection of comic stores, model shops etc where various companies wares are offered, GW is just another name. In the UK this is less so, the model industry has been dwindling for many years, and if you want PP or Rackham stuff, its the internet you go, but a lot of people like to 'buy it now' and go home with it, that is why the retail b & m style is more prevalent in the UK, and therefore you will tend to get deals here before anywhere else, as apparently the GW retail feeling towards the US is a little lacking, they tend to favour Indies and Online sales, although this apprently isn't the case either....hmmmmm.

andyfair
11-12-2007, 13:45
IF you feel that paying GW's asking price is fair, then no one will stop you from spending your parents money on said toys, except maybe your parents.

The rest of your post is typical anti GW fodder but I love this bit.... I am 9 years from an early retirement, have paid off my mortgage and have not spent any of my parent(s) money since about 1985.

However I will pass the message onto my teenage son if you wish :D:D:D

Nephilim of Sin
11-12-2007, 13:53
Thank you Rick_1138, that really answered a question that I have had for some time. Another thing that I would like to add to that is, unlike what it seems in the UK, we do not have GW stores readily available to us. For myself, it has always been a six or eight hour drive to get to an official store.

To address the "rant, whinge, complaint" side of things; those do get old. However, the reason some of us are bitter is because we remember $20 regiment sets. Then $25. Then $30. And now $35. A fifteen dollar increase for the same product in a small amount of time. That is almost twice as expensive as they were before lotr came out. And yet the core game has stayed relative to it's original price (save for the fifteen dollar increase on Macragge and Skull Pass..within a year). Subtle price hikes are one thing, and for a while, they were subtle. This is by no means a complaint, just an illumination on why. I still love GW. I occassional buy from them online, although I am not sure the direction the bitz service will take, and that may slow my purchases from them.

So no, it has nothing to do with "stealing cds and music" and "we wantz itz for free!"or something as equally ridiculous and ludicrous. I applaud them for their efforts. Even if it does not affect me. I no longer play 40k, but Apocalypse was beautiful for savings. That is great! However, I can see how some people are skeptical, and from a business sense, offering a discount over a voucher (during a select time) might get people to spend more. Actually, people might, over the course of said time frame, spend equal to and possibly more than the voucher offer, because it would be a "percieved discount".

Col.Gravis
11-12-2007, 13:53
The voucher is'nt aimed at those who already make use of bigger discounts elsewhere - they wont ever offer a discount that large through such means - it's aimed at whoever happens to be in the shop at the right time to take advantage of it, and as an incentive to buy bigger if your already buying.

Vic
11-12-2007, 14:02
The rest of your post is typical anti GW fodder but I love this bit.... I am 9 years from an early retirement, have paid off my mortgage and have not spent any of my parent(s) money since about 1985.

However I will pass the message onto my teenage son if you wish :D:D:D

So I guess fanbois come in all ages lol ;)

Look, my "rant" isnt meant to be anti GW, it is anti GW's business practices....

They're "discount" is a bit of a joke, in light of all the discounts available freely in the market. Granted, GW has put themselves in the situation that lowering the prices further will hurt their trade sales, but so what? GW did that to themselves, I didnt.

And the attitude you exhibited in "classifying" dissenters as vagrants who'd rather steal music than buy it, or critical posts being "typical anti-GW fodder" just exemplifies the attitude GW has had over it's customers which has brought it to the state it is currently in. Dont believe me? I dont really care, declining sales figures tell the story way better than I can.

Im not looking to get into an argument with a fellow parent/gamer, but I will take issue with having my view noted as "typical anti-GW fodder". If I didnt give a damn about the game (40K to be precise), and if I wasnt interested in having my children play, then I'd give two hoots to what GW is doing, kept quiet, and find better games for my family to play. As it is, I have 20 years invested into the 40k hobby, thousands of dollars, and a desire to have my children play. I resent the fact that GW seems to be doing everything in their power to prevent that from happening. What are they doing to make the game more affordable? How are they getting new players in and keeping current/old players? The old formula of "raise the price our customer is too dumb to notice/care" doesnt work, what are they looking at using to add life to the "sauce" that was 40k/WH?

kris.sherriff
11-12-2007, 14:39
I really do hope that just to make everybody on the Internet happy that GW raises prices again now. In fact I hope they charge you an extra 10 on every 100 pound spent and 30 on every 250. I mean it does not make you happy when they actualy put an offer on that gives you something for free so why bother in the first place?

For heavens sake from the some of the responses here you would think that the whole of the GW management team had walked in to your house and taken a s**t on your Christmas tree!

You are aware that GW did not actually have to put on any kind of offer? This is not the kind of offer that will make GW buckets of cash I mean for the vast majority of people if you were going to spend 100 in GW at Christmas you were going to spend it with or without this offer.

Now I am by no means a newby, I remember the days of Rhino's for 10 and my first ever purchase was 12 marines for 5. I also remember having to wait until the 342 discounts to build up my first real armies.
Do I think GW is an expensive Hobby, not necessarily. No one actually makes you buy 6000 point armies, you do it because you want to.
It is like any Hobby nobody makes people buy the really expensive golf clubs endorsed by Tiger Woods but people do because they want to.
If you don't like GW's prices by all means don't buy from them, cut out bits of paper to the correct base size and use that, it is a damn site cheaper.
If you are willing to buy from on-line retailer for that extra discount the do that to, as GW actual clears more of a profit from this then from selling in store.
But please, please don't come on to the Internet an whine that you don't want to spend your money on something that nobody is forcing you to spend your money on.
As I have read in one of my friends Sig's
"Don't think that the world owes you a living, the world was here first."

Kris

Rick_1138
11-12-2007, 14:50
Thank you Rick_1138, that really answered a question that I have had for some time. Another thing that I would like to add to that is, unlike what it seems in the UK, we do not have GW stores readily available to us. For myself, it has always been a six or eight hour drive to get to an official store.

To address the "rant, whinge, complaint" side of things; those do get old. However, the reason some of us are bitter is because we remember $20 regiment sets. Then $25. Then $30. And now $35. A fifteen dollar increase for the same product in a small amount of time. That is almost twice as expensive as they were before lotr came out.

Hey man, i remember when you could get a land raider for 12, and that wasn't that long ago. Okay you get more bits in the box now and its a bit bigger, but to be over twice the price it was about 12 years ago isn't that odd, the fact is its basically the same product, it just seems a heap more expensive.

Rhino's are another one, you used to get 2 for 10, now its one for 18-20, and again, they are not that much different.

You used to get dreadnoughts in a box full of polystyrene, that had little cut outs for all the seperate metal parts, it felt like you were getting 12 worth, but now you pay 20, an get a flimsy cardboard box, with some sprues in it. Even when you got a cardboard box wrapped in a cardboard rectangle tube, you still got a box you could reuse, now the cardboard boxes are just throwaway.

Its streamlined the company expenses, but cheapened what we get, but unfortunatelty, that is what happens when the accountants rule the roost, as in every company, GW is not evil, it is simply a business.

andyfair
11-12-2007, 15:23
Hey man, i remember when you could get a land raider for 12, and that wasn't that long ago. Okay you get more bits in the box now and its a bit bigger, but to be over twice the price it was about 12 years ago isn't that odd, the fact is its basically the same product, it just seems a heap more expensive.

Just over 12 years ago I bought a house for 73,000. That same house would now sell for around 300,000. (I no longer own it I hasten to add).

Same product, 12 years older and a lot more expensive!

blongbling
11-12-2007, 15:28
Rick,

Land Raiders for 12 not that long ago.....time might be passing you buy quicker than you think, its been a LONG time since GW did 12 Landraiders and it was nothing like the new one.

You are also forgetting that there is a push across all companines to reduce their waste output from their products, it isnt feasible to put in huge amounts of polystyrene anymore to pacakge your products. Do you feel cheated when you look at a box and think its flimsy, not, cos its what is inside that counts and the current dready is way superior to the old one.

I cannot see how GW has cheapened what you get when you now get more pieces for your models and a pence per model cost that isnt very high with some great sculpts in more ecologically friendly packaging......

yabbadabba
11-12-2007, 15:35

Rhino's are another one, you used to get 2 for 10, now its one for 18-20, and again, they are not that much different.

You used to get dreadnoughts in a box full of polystyrene, that had little cut outs for all the seperate metal parts, it felt like you were getting 12 worth, but now you pay 20, an get a flimsy cardboard box, with some sprues in it. Even when you got a cardboard box wrapped in a cardboard rectangle tube, you still got a box you could reuse, now the cardboard boxes are just throwaway.

Its streamlined the company expenses, but cheapened what we get, but unfortunatelty, that is what happens when the accountants rule the roost, as in every company, GW is not evil, it is simply a business.

I remember when petrol was 48p/l in the UK. I remember my chocolate bar being 18p. I remember going out with 2 for a chip supper. I remember when all this was grass. Things change. And while, like many, I can and will get my soldiers cheaper elsewhere, I am not getting to get all misty eyed about the prices of yore.

This "deal" is there for 1 purpose and for 1 type of customer. It's purpose is to create sales and it is aimed at customers who can only access GW stores.

Now before everyone starts :rolleyes: and says "duh- sales" I'll explain. GW as we know is highly geared. We also know that as they make more money their sales-to-profit ratio increases. It's dropping sales that are worrying the board (or bloody should be). Therefore their goal at the moment is to increase sales - actual transactions through the till. A little incentive to take a 80-90 sale to over 100 will give the guys in the shops better tools to drive those sales. Simple.

GW cannot offer too much in the way of money off deals at the moment because, as has also been mentioned, it will affect the relationship with their independent stockists. They may even have to pay the stockists back in refunds or stock equivalents if they tried any official serious discounting through their retail chain. They already know that the majority of die-hard fans with web savvy will buy online, for cheaper. They already know that some people will get great discounts through their B+M stores. This isn't for you. They already have their money from you. It's for all those people who only buy their stuff through GW B+M stores. And it is a little incentive to spend a bit more, for a bit more. Again, aimed at those people who want to spend 80-90. Simple.

I thinnk in the UK GW did this Christmas 2002? Maybe someone can help me out with that one.

Nephilim of Sin
11-12-2007, 15:40
...You used to get dreadnoughts in a box full of polystyrene, that had little cut outs for all the seperate metal parts, it felt like you were getting 12 worth, but now you pay 20, an get a flimsy cardboard box, with some sprues in it. Even when you got a cardboard box wrapped in a cardboard rectangle tube, you still got a box you could reuse, now the cardboard boxes are just throwaway....

I loved the inserts. I remember in White Dwarf how they had the building made from just one, but I could never figure out how they got one that big! Anyone know, please pm me!

I actually had a much larger post, but accidently deleted it, so here it goes.
Where I think the problem with the "whinging" and whining and cynical nature of old school gamers "might" really stem from is this: We had this horrid, one piece plastic regiment sets that were $12.50 for six to ten models. These were all the same model. Suddenly, out of nowhere we have the beautiful, mulitpart regiment sets for $19.99! Not only did you get enough for a full regiment (usually two, but sometimes three times the amount of the single pose ones), and a movement tray, but they could be armed how you wanted, and you had all these bitz lying around. It was a gamer and hobbyist's dream!

So, we get this huge improvement of a product that costs less than double the inferior ones. It was a steal. As more sets came out, the price increased to $25.00. Alright, I would still pay it. No problem. But once they reached the $30.00 mark, I resorted to battalions (which are great for the price), and eventually ebay. Were we spoiled? Did we become greedy? Was GW wrong and set the price too low? Did they become greedy? I don't know. But seeing three price hikes for the same item set me off from them. The Landraider you spoke, again, was an inferior product. I have no problems paying for the new Landraider at double the price of the old one, because it is as big as two of them, and you get lots of extra bitz.

However, I am glad the direction GW is taking. Those new plastic Fantasy sets (Black Orcs, Miners, Flagellants) that were in limited quantity (the 20 mini ones) brought back those old, loving feelings. Here I get, for the price of 10 metal ones (or just $15 more than there contempary plastic 10 man set) a full regiment with loads of cool extra bits, that can be modeled however I want. Again, Apocalypse is doing the same thing with their deals. Those are deals, and they are well worth their price. It is the "percieved value" again of the customer.

On the discount note, I was flipping through an old White Dwarf and saw a random "15% off 9 days only" advert. That is were some of the cynicism might come from with other old school gamers. While they are slowly going towards the right direction, there are still the memories of what they did offer, then promptly stopped. But I do think the voucher deal can make Apocalypse even sweeter, since those are mainly the big money deals going on right now.

... This isn't for you... And yet you question why some feel alienated?

Rikens
11-12-2007, 15:56
I don't care that GW models used to be less expensive, or that they are actually less expensive than the accessories for other hobbies, or that there are less expensive alternatives (such as no buying GW miniatures).

I do care that GW is offering voucher packages worth around 10-12% when I can get 20% off the less expensive American retail price (less expensive than comparable Canadian retail) at a very favourable exchange rate. I care that GW doesn't make it worth my time to visit their retail locations. And that's me having a suit budget about 10x larger than my GW budget this year! In my defense a nice suit gets you laid, a nicely painted army tends to prevent getting laid, so it works out to about the same...

yabbadabba
11-12-2007, 15:58
I don't care that GW models used to be less expensive, or that they are actually less expensive than the accessories for other hobbies, or that there are less expensive alternatives (such as no buying GW miniatures).

I do care that GW is offering voucher packages worth around 10-12% when I can get 20% off the less expensive American retail price (less expensive than comparable Canadian retail) at a very favourable exchange rate. I care that GW doesn't make it worth my time to visit their retail locations. And that's me having a suit budget about 10x larger than my GW budget this year! In my defense a nice suit gets you laid, a nicely painted army tends to prevent getting laid, so it works out to about the same...

My only question Rickens is why you need to visit a GW store? I hope it isn't to get laid :D

Rikens
11-12-2007, 16:18
I don't recall saying that I needed to visit a GW store. I thought my point was that I didn't need to visit a GW store. A store that people don't need to visit is a tricky proposition for a company, a store that wastes the customer's money is a millstone around a company's neck. As a consumer and a Capitalist I'm not going to support a company store that doesn't add value to my experience of the product (and indeed that decreases the relative value of my experience of the product). That's like feeding ducks so they forget to migrate in winter, it's not good for the park, it's not good for the park-goers, and it's not good for the ducks. That was my point.

But now that you mention it, expecting to get laid in a GW is like expecting to get laid at your local rest-home: If you can take the stench you're a sick sick bastard.

/No, why do you ask? Feelin' lucky? ;)

EVIL INC
11-12-2007, 16:36
To be honest, I agree that it sucks you have to spend that much at one go to get the voucher. A different way that would help those who simply cannot afford to do that would be to give them a swipe card. When they have spent that much total, Deduct the ammout needed to get the voucher from the total on the card and let them start on thier next voucher. That would include many more people and help direct business. I still usually prefer to get even cheaper yet off of different retailers.

yabbadabba
11-12-2007, 17:02
I don't recall saying that I needed to visit a GW store. I thought my point was that I didn't need to visit a GW store. A store that people don't need to visit is a tricky proposition for a company, a store that wastes the customer's money is a millstone around a company's neck. As a consumer and a Capitalist I'm not going to support a company store that doesn't add value to my experience of the product (and indeed that decreases the relative value of my experience of the product). That's like feeding ducks so they forget to migrate in winter, it's not good for the park, it's not good for the park-goers, and it's not good for the ducks. That was my point.

But now that you mention it, expecting to get laid in a GW is like expecting to get laid at your local rest-home: If you can take the stench you're a sick sick bastard.

/No, why do you ask? Feelin' lucky? ;)

Well now you come to mention it ... ... no, no no! LOL:D

I care that GW doesn't make it worth my time to visit their retail locations.

That was the quote that made me ask why you thought you needed to visit one of their stores.

I am going to disagree with you about the stores, but in a broader prospective. There are still plenty of people who need to visit a GW store, so they are not totally defunct. There are just not enough of them at the moment to make the sales, and no need for people like us to visit a GW store to make up the shortfall in numbers.

Etienne de Beaugard
11-12-2007, 18:17
I really do hope that just to make everybody on the Internet happy that GW raises prices again now. In fact I hope they charge you an extra 10 on every 100 pound spent and 30 on every 250. I mean it does not make you happy when they actualy put an offer on that gives you something for free so why bother in the first place?

For heavens sake from the some of the responses here you would think that the whole of the GW management team had walked in to your house and taken a s**t on your Christmas tree!

Actually, there was a lot of responses indicating that better deals existed on the internet and at many independent retailers. Is it wrong to be unimpressed by GW's voucher program when other retailers offer greater discounts? For those people who enjoy patronizing GW brick & mortar shops, I'm glad that GW has given a decent discount (yes, an ~10% voucher is decent). Please respect that I will continue to bargain hunt for most of the miniatures I buy, be they GW or another company's.

Gaebriel
11-12-2007, 18:30
Do you actually think it would help GW to hurt their customers any more? That when people are not satisfied with an averaged 10% discount they would buy more when they had to face a 10% increase?

Sounds like someone thinking people had to buy the product no matter what, and raising prices wouldn't affect the numbers sold.

Interesting marketing perspective - but well, that's how GW thinks, isn't it?

kris.sherriff
11-12-2007, 20:36
Actually, there was a lot of responses indicating that better deals existed on the internet and at many independent retailers. Is it wrong to be unimpressed by GW's voucher program when other retailers offer greater discounts? For those people who enjoy patronizing GW brick & mortar shops, I'm glad that GW has given a decent discount (yes, an ~10% voucher is decent). Please respect that I will continue to bargain hunt for most of the miniatures I buy, be they GW or another company's.

I respect your choice to bargain hunt and will continue to do so myself.
As some of the more realistic people have said this offer is not there for us.
I am sure that GW would much rather more people bought more stuff from on-line retailers as they actually make more money from those sales then from selling in the shop. The sales in store are there to try to cover the costs of that store actual being open. GW does not actual make any extra money by selling stuff at the price they do in store.

Do you actually think it would help GW to hurt their customers any more? That when people are not satisfied with an averaged 10% discount they would buy more when they had to face a 10% increase?

Sounds like someone thinking people had to buy the product no matter what, and raising prices wouldn't affect the numbers sold.

Interesting marketing perspective - but well, that's how GW thinks, isn't it?

You do realize that I was being sarcastic in that opening paragraph? The way some people have responded to this offer you would think that GW had actually increased there prices.

In my actual post I said that nobody is making you buy anything from GW or making you buy GW products at all. If GW did raise prices again (as they are bound to do at some point) I will continue to but what I want to buy. Some stuff from my local GW store, as I like to have it in my hand when I pay for it and some stuff from on-line. If I wanted a new army I would buy one whatever the price. I may not buy it at the same rate as I do now but I would build up to it eventually.

I agree that some people are put off by the prices but equally some people have bough Mantas from forge world. (not that there is anything wrong with the manta it is just a lot of money)

Kris

stonehorse
11-12-2007, 21:24
Ladies and gentlemen, if you're going to Hell soon you might want to bring a coat.

For one of the first times in my internet life I have Laughed out Loud... thanks.

As others have worked out, the discount isn't there for people who play/paint, but rather for those parents who don't know of the bigger discounts they can get online. Most gamers I know only buy in GW's stores if the need something for an upcoming game and haven't got time to order online. This is one of the many issues that is hurting GW's sales, I can't see them going bust any time soon (as others are saying they will do if people continue to buy online). They may have to close some more of their stores down... but this wouldn't hurt the gaming community as a whole that much. If the same thing happened in the late 80's to mid 90's, it would be a different story. The reason for this is simple... the internet. This thing that we are all on here now (if you're reading this, I'm sure it is a safe bet to say you are online), has made such an impact in the way people live their lives both online and off line.

If there are no GW stores, there will still be games played. Form a club with some friends who are into the hobby, create a website. Then advertise through the medium of the internet... example in case, see my signature.

Table Top Wargaming has been around a long time before GW came a long (They didn't invent it, which they'd have you believe they did), and I'm sure it is a safe bet to say it'll still be around when and if they are gone.

The discount is a step in the right direction... I just think it is too little too late.

Does this make me a GW-hater now? I've always envisioned my self as a gamer who likes GW games, but hates GW's policies... guess it comes with being ex-staff.

Rick_1138
11-12-2007, 21:51
I was being a tad jokey about the GW prices of yore.

However i still felt all tingly when i got a big box with polystyrene, it somehow felt like you were getting more.

Its kind of like old PC games used to come in a big cardboard box, with a thick manual, as oppose to a dvd slipcase today, same product, better graphics, better games, cheaper box.

And in regards to the house comment, 75,000 up to 300K, is a diff matter, house prices in the UK are ridiculus, my GF is looking for a house and the prices are stupid, the housing market has to collapse at some point, as she needs a 5 times her salary mortgage just to get a 1 bedroom flat in the dodgy area of town!

but on topic, GW prices are a bit over inflation etc, but it is a premium product, but just dont get me started on the land raider crusader prices!!!!

andyfair
12-12-2007, 08:26
For one of the first times in my internet life I have Laughed out Loud... thanks.

As others have worked out, the discount isn't there for people who play/paint, but rather for those parents who don't know of the bigger discounts they can get online. Most gamers I know only buy in GW's stores if the need something for an upcoming game and haven't got time to order online. This is one of the many issues that is hurting GW's sales, I can't see them going bust any time soon (as others are saying they will do if people continue to buy online). They may have to close some more of their stores down... but this wouldn't hurt the gaming community as a whole that much. If the same thing happened in the late 80's to mid 90's, it would be a different story. The reason for this is simple... the internet. This thing that we are all on here now (if you're reading this, I'm sure it is a safe bet to say you are online), has made such an impact in the way people live their lives both online and off line.

If there are no GW stores, there will still be games played. Form a club with some friends who are into the hobby, create a website. Then advertise through the medium of the internet... example in case, see my signature.

Table Top Wargaming has been around a long time before GW came a long (They didn't invent it, which they'd have you believe they did), and I'm sure it is a safe bet to say it'll still be around when and if they are gone.

The discount is a step in the right direction... I just think it is too little too late.

Does this make me a GW-hater now? I've always envisioned my self as a gamer who likes GW games, but hates GW's policies... guess it comes with being ex-staff.

I buy from the store to help support it. The staff in there are second to none and have become almost friends of the family. Every time we go into town we look forward to dropping in the GW shop to see what is going on.

The stores also provide a future for the hobby by attracting young enthusiasts to play and socialise in the in store games.

It is simple as if the stores go (in the UK anyway, I couldn't give a Christmas box of figs about other countries) then new blood to the hobby dries up or drastically reduces. GW reduces in size or goes under. No or less new products and as I said earlier ultimately the could spell the end of Warhammer and 40K.

I know there are bigger discounts to be had online, but that doesn't help support what I firmly believe to be the absolute core role of GW and what it's all about. I.e. the fantastic GW stores.

grickherder
12-12-2007, 09:12
I'm from the other end of the spectrum. I love private clubs. I think they are the lifeblood of the hobby and have made way more family friends through being part of and running them than through any store. We've had no problem attracting new gamers (of all ages) through word of mouth.

The best thing about an online discounter is that the 20% off one can easily get (more once you factor in the US/Canadian exchange rate) you have a generous budget with which to rent premises, fund terrain projects, hold tournaments, painting days, etc., etc.,.

It's great to not pay for a service I don't want and then use the difference to fund one that I do want-- and be part of gaming clubs that are growing in members by leaps and bounds.

blongbling
12-12-2007, 10:34
the reality of it all is that B.GW (Before GW) the hobby market was quite small....smallish events, isolated groups of people playing with the immeidate freinds. what GW did and does is make it more accessable and has introduced millions into TTWG...without them going forward i would see that this growth of the amount of gamers would slow down again.

Stores are on the highstreet and can be accessed by everyone, clubs are not generally that accessable...people wont just wander into a club on a whim. For the existing gamer clubs arent a problem, for brand new people clubs can be imtimidating and unaccessable

stonehorse
12-12-2007, 17:13
It is simple as if the stores go (in the UK anyway, I couldn't give a Christmas box of figs about other countries) then new blood to the hobby dries up or drastically reduces. GW reduces in size or goes under. No or less new products and as I said earlier ultimately the could spell the end of Warhammer and 40K.

the reality of it all is that B.GW (Before GW) the hobby market was quite small....smallish events, isolated groups of people playing with the immeidate freinds. what GW did and does is make it more accessable and has introduced millions into TTWG...without them going forward i would see that this growth of the amount of gamers would slow down again.

Stores are on the highstreet and can be accessed by everyone, clubs are not generally that accessable...people wont just wander into a club on a whim. For the existing gamer clubs arent a problem, for brand new people clubs can be imtimidating and unaccessable

And by that logic, companies that don't have stores would die a death... but as I have said previously. We live in the age of the Internet, there are many other companies who produce TTG's and they are going from strength to strength. Stores are a burden. Warhammer and 40K would only die if no one played them, if GW go bust and people still play the games using Online retailers selling off their stock and Ebay users selling their unwanted items they would still be alive... just not kicking.

For example I've done all my christmas shopping through the internet, there was no need to travel through the hussel and bussel, a few clicks and a bit of typing and all done. This is getting more and more of a reality of shopping, high street shops will be a thing of the past.

GW with out any stores would be saving a lot of money. Let's say they employe 600 members of staff to work ther UK stores. Their wage I think is roughly 13,000.00, this doesn't include part time or managers, so for sake of arguing that's say the 2 cancel each other out. That's 780,00,00 on staff alone per year. for just the UK. World wide it would be a lot bigger.

Now to keep getting the new blood they could;

1) Advertise their hobby via magazine adverts and TV commericals.
2) Sell through other highstreet Toyshops.
3) Advertise their internet site on various websites.

I'm sure there are more, but brick and motar stores are not needed to sell GW goods. Not everyone has access to a GW store, or has to go out of their way to find the nearest one.

Vic
13-12-2007, 12:57
What I think that is keeping them from the big box toy stores is their price point. I dont think that "premium product" will float with the average consumer for what they will perceive as "toy soldiers" and I think retailers would be reticent to carry product that woudlnt move as quickly as similar items. ToysRUs and Walmart both carry Heroscape, albeit in small quantities. I'd say the average consumer (NOT us) would equate 40k with Heroscape, but maybe view Heroscape in a more favorable light as it is prepaints, lower priced terrain etc. I dont think that they'd stop to think that GW's stuff is more detailed, of better overall quality etc. I'd think though that Specialist Games would sell well as you sell a complete product (Space hulk, Space Crusade etc.) rather than components to a larger range.

swordwind
13-12-2007, 13:07
Sure, if GW go bust then what they market as "the hobby" will vanish.However what "the hobby" actually is will carry on pretty much as it did before. Of coure there will be ripples that everyone will feel the pinch of, but it wont be the death of three separate hobbies. Gamers will game with some other rule set or simply carry on with 40k or WFB with the minis they have. The painters will paint the rest of thier lead stockpiles and then paint another companies minis. The converters will carry on converting thier plastic stockpiles until the bitz box dries up and they move on to swapping bits from different companies minis. In fact it may do "the hobby" good to give "the hobbyists" and wake up call to say "Hey! You can still do the things you like even if the toy soldiers dont come with a eagle on the box!".

Templar Ben
13-12-2007, 13:10
So much for keeping this a UK based thread.

Please explain to me how one goes from getting the same item cheaper online to illegally downloading music.

Its also noticable that a lot of the moaning about prices and availability comes form the US (dont get me wrong i like Americans, i have been there many times), but GW in the UK is a completely different animal to the US.

GW offers a premium product over its rivals (and to be honest, there isn't that many in DIRECT competition, PP is good, but its a different game style, no other system offers such a product on the scale that GW does).

GW offer a constant product update schedule, yes it may take 6 months per big release, but if it released everything in 2 years, what would be the incentive for new purchases, keep the customers drawn out, this keeps them buying, that is sales renewal 101.

Also Games workshop over extended itself over the last 10 years and it is now coming back down to normalcy. I remember in 2nd ed, when there were stores in all main big cities, and a few in the more rural areas, and this was fine, however this has now expanded during the big boon of LOTR, now they have to resize, Apocolypse is a good example of seasonal big boom sales, and as a toy retailer this is their main market period, offering vouchers as an incentive for a large purpose is a good idea, although you and i may want a 20% sale every now and then, this isn't GW's way, and it is noticabl;e that the majority of kids who play get their stuff bought by their parents, these will often be well off families, and they will pay what is asked of them.

In the US the economics are somewhat different, there is a massive selection of comic stores, model shops etc where various companies wares are offered, GW is just another name. In the UK this is less so, the model industry has been dwindling for many years, and if you want PP or Rackham stuff, its the internet you go, but a lot of people like to 'buy it now' and go home with it, that is why the retail b & m style is more prevalent in the UK, and therefore you will tend to get deals here before anywhere else, as apparently the GW retail feeling towards the US is a little lacking, they tend to favour Indies and Online sales, although this apprently isn't the case either....hmmmmm.

I am trying to understand you assertion. Are you saying it is a good deal for the UK since you don't have many options?

gorgon
13-12-2007, 13:36

I actually had this happen to me, and believe me, it's no fun seeing Tom Kirby pinch a loaf on your holiday decorations.

Etienne de Beaugard
13-12-2007, 13:55
What I think that is keeping them from the big box toy stores is their price point. I dont think that "premium product" will float with the average consumer for what they will perceive as "toy soldiers" and I think retailers would be reticent to carry product that woudlnt move as quickly as similar items. ToysRUs and Walmart both carry Heroscape, albeit in small quantities. I'd say the average consumer (NOT us) would equate 40k with Heroscape, but maybe view Heroscape in a more favorable light as it is prepaints, lower priced terrain etc. I dont think that they'd stop to think that GW's stuff is more detailed, of better overall quality etc. I'd think though that Specialist Games would sell well as you sell a complete product (Space hulk, Space Crusade etc.) rather than components to a larger range.

I agree GW's current product range would not sell well, but as I said in an earlier post, GW is very close to having a ToyStore product with the "Battle for..." starter games.

GW could sell the starter kits for about $50 in the USA. If GW started producing booster armies for the Bf... games, each booster containing a bunch of single or two part minis, paints, and rules for the models, I think they would have a shot at expanding their game.

Such a move would run the risk of watering down the more complex games GW currently sells. This issue could be fixed by having a basic and advanced version of the game (similar to what T$R did in the 80s and 90s with Dungeons & Dragons).

Vic
13-12-2007, 14:01
QFT Etienne! GW could sell starter packs and boosters at the big box stores with a simplified ruleset (to cater to those store's customer base), and offer the "pro" edition at GW and independents for when the player has reached the "advanced" levels. This would also appeal to the US's competitive nature with a built in ladder system. Brilliant!

Rick_1138
13-12-2007, 14:39
[QUOTE=Templar Ben;2175972

I am trying to understand you assertion. Are you saying it is a good deal for the UK since you don't have many options?[/QUOTE]

I mean that GW have a different system to the US.

UK buyers dont have a better deal in regards of choice, in that respect the US is far superior, many a trip to the states has had me coming back with a new suitcase full of modeling goodies that you just cant get here, short of internet, but i often like to see what i am buiying before hand.

But yeah, UK has a better store system, but less choice than the states!

Templar Ben
13-12-2007, 15:26
I mean that GW have a different system to the US.

UK buyers dont have a better deal in regards of choice, in that respect the US is far superior, many a trip to the states has had me coming back with a new suitcase full of modeling goodies that you just cant get here, short of internet, but i often like to see what i am buiying before hand.

But yeah, UK has a better store system, but less choice than the states!

What makes the stores system better? Do you mean to say that there are more stores per square kilometer or something else? It is easier to order online in the UK since GW can't stop someone from opening a trade account and selling online online for a razor thin margin like they can here in the States.

kris.sherriff
13-12-2007, 17:14
I do think that the advantage is down to the stores per kilometer thing.
When I was young the closest GW to me was 30 mins away. The thing is I never went as my dad could not drive, I only used to get 1.50 per week pocket money so I could not afford to get the bus there. For me the GW was miles away and I could only game at one of my friends houses. The reason I am telling you this slightly boaring story is to ilistrate the diffrance in scale some people have in the UK.
Now the bigest distance I have ever had to travel since I joined the milatery to get to my nearest GW is about 40 miles, the furthest I have heard of is about 70 miles.
I am sure that people in the US would kill to be no more than 70 miles from a GW but the shere size of the country is its undoing here.
That is why GW US has a diffrent stratergy to GW UK.
For us the advantage of having GW stores is that you can just walk in to one with very little effort chat about stuff with friendly staff (OK I know, lots of you dislike red shirts but although there are some I have disliked on the whole they are a friendly bunch if you approch them in the right way and are honest about your needs.)

Kris

Glabro
14-12-2007, 00:48
Well, I for one hope they see an increase on sales that is enough to support the theory of lowering prices instead of the "price insensitive" crap...

pookie
19-12-2007, 10:48
id just like to say that the offer is slightly better than i first said, i went in y0day for two boxes of spawn and a CSM sqd - walked out with a Tide of Spawn, but told to keep hold of my receipt because if i spend a further 40.00 before end of business 31/12 they will give me the 10 voucher, which for me works out better as i may be poping in after xmas to buy more CSM goodies.

Nephilim of Sin
19-12-2007, 12:07
id just like to say that the offer is slightly better than i first said, i went in y0day for two boxes of spawn and a CSM sqd - walked out with a Tide of Spawn, but told to keep hold of my receipt because if i spend a further 40.00 before end of business 31/12 they will give me the 10 voucher, which for me works out better as i may be poping in after xmas to buy more CSM goodies.

Ah, well that is good then. That is similar to having a 'card' or something, for they are acknowledging your entire purchases for the month. Good to hear.

pookie
19-12-2007, 13:39
Ah, well that is good then. That is similar to having a 'card' or something, for they are acknowledging your entire purchases for the month. Good to hear.

thats what i thought, plus id be hard pressed to spend 100 in one purchase ( more down to wife and divorce papers than GW...) but now i can sneak it past her!

Rick_1138
19-12-2007, 13:43
( more down to wife and divorce papers than GW...) but now i can sneak it past her!

you hope!:p