PDA

View Full Version : Dogs of War - Do you use them?

Anointed_By_Filth
10-12-2007, 14:34
I have a night goblin army that I'm working on and I had the idea of using some dogs of war heavy cav to convert some night goblin models with heavy armor and lances and converting a looted dwarf cannon. What is everyone's experience or thoughts on using dogs of war in their army? I also had an idea of making some night goblins in heavy armor, with armored nose plates and counting them as black orcs though...

der_lex
10-12-2007, 14:41
I've never used them in my Chaos armies, since it didn't fit the theme.

If the unit in question fits the army's theme, I'm all for it.

I've been considering using DoW in my Empire army, but can't bring myself to drop any of the normal rare choices.

Ethlorien
10-12-2007, 15:12
I use Mengil's Manflayers in my Dark Elf army, that's about all right now. I like DoW, don't have a problem with people using them - that's why they're there. I like when my opponent has a viable reason for their army using them of course, but as there's nothing in the rules that says 'all opponent's must agree the use of the DoW unit is fluffy enough', I don't really care why they use them. Hell, you spent enough money and time buying and painting them, you should be able to enjoy them. I am building up my collection though as I would like to field an entire DoW army at some point.

marv335
10-12-2007, 15:19
I never use them.
they're usually a band aid used to squeeze something into an army that doesn't belong there.
HE with cannons, Dwarfs with cavalry etc.
Unless I was doing a completely DoW army I'd not touch them.

==Me==
10-12-2007, 15:25
I'm going to use a Giant in ==My== Skaven army to represent a massive Moulder/Skryre creation. DOW open up a lot of different playstyles for armies and can be lots of fun to convert.

ZeroTwentythree
10-12-2007, 15:53
Much like ==Me== said above, I use a giant in my Skaven army for a Moulder creation.

My Marienburg Empire army is using various DoW to reflect the mercenary and multi-cultural nature of their armies. I'll be mixing this up a bit from game to game, but will include DoW light cav, ogres, possibly halflings and dwarves.

I completely admit this doesn't fit the themes of the armies, since all of the above are described in the respective fluff but not part of the base lists. This is totally a "bandaid" to compensate for the ineffective Skyre themed troop choices normally seen in Skaven armies with the much more powerful giant, and the uber-game winning light cav and halflings in stead of taking those worthless inner circle knights and steam tanks. The dwarven infantry will help make up for that totally worthless infantry detachment business.

This is because I am a vicious cheese monger. :cheese:

Obviously DoW is only used for evil, game-destroying purposed.

Obviously.

:rolleyes:

mav1971
10-12-2007, 15:55
I have a cannon, halfling hot pot, some old chaos thug models(make them crossbowmen) and some old chaos dwarfs. And of course I have various Ogre units to use as well.

memitchell747
10-12-2007, 15:57
I never use them.
they're usually a band aid used to squeeze something into an army that doesn't belong there.
Everytime DoW are mentioned, someone makes this comment. I will bet you have never seen anyone use DoW as a bandaid (besides, I would prefer to face DoW cannons instead of HE RBT's). Using DoW heavy cavalry in an O&G army is hardly a band-aid, since the O&G already have heavy cavalry.

If we think outside the box (just a little), perhaps a Dwarf player wants to play in a non-Tournament, non-GT, non-RTT, non-Pitched Battle, non-Always the Same Thing scenario like the ones from the General's Compendium, old WD's, BRB, old BRB, even older BRB's and suppliments, or even (Gasp!), his own creation, and he needs a fast moving unit or two to get the the job done. Umm, how about DoW cavalry?

As for converting Nighties into heavy cavalry, only if they are mounted on spiders.

the1stpip
10-12-2007, 15:58
I had considered the Goblin Hewer for my Empire army, as a change to a mortar, but otherwise, no.

mistformsquirrel
10-12-2007, 15:59
When I expand my Chaos army a bit more, I plan to add a Cannon and a Giant at some point. I almost included the Cannon in the base list, but thought it might be better to learn with just the normal units before adding something unusual to the mix.

The Giant is primarily just because I think it'll be fun to model up. Well ok the Cannon too really, I love the idea of a Warp Lightning Cannon, but for obvious reasons a Chaos army can't get one. However I can get a Dogs of War cannon and model it up like one with Chaos Dwarf crew; and that's good enough for me! >.<

Anointed_By_Filth
10-12-2007, 16:03
I was actually going to mount the night goblins on 'squig hounds'. I'm going to cut squigs in half and green stuff them onto kroot hound bodies after I cut their heads off. I'm also going to use this mount for my wolf boys because I want my entire army to have night goblin bodies and fit a night goblin theme, so 'squig hounds' make more sense than wolves or spiders. I have a story behind my army, the general is a reputable squig and fungus farmer, so four legged squigs that can run instead of bounding about make sense with the story. Plus I just really want a reason to represent goblins in more than just light armor. I think the look of goblins in heavy armor would be a nice change of pace, plus it would also look cool to give them little armored masks with armored nose plates.

lack0fbettername
10-12-2007, 16:15
I kinda agree with mary. DoW CAN be a "band-Aid".
But to me that make sense.

"Hey dwarf lord, we keep losing"
"Yeah Mr. Thunder i think it would really help if we had something really quick"
"Well, we got all this gold"
"Aye, lets just hire someone to do the job"

But that is why the DoW fill out the rare slots. In a standard 2000 or 2250 game you can only take 2 at best. But taking 2, then you lose access to all rares from your book.

So they CAN be used as a "Band-Aid". But they can also be used to make really cool conversions. A Friend of mine just the other day started a DoW unit of "crossbowmen" for his Orks & Gobo Army. Each crowbow is actualy fielded by a "team" of goblins as its about 2x the size of any one of them.

That being said the only DoW i use in my empire army is a unit of 10 dwarfs on occason.

ZeroTwentythree
10-12-2007, 16:21
and some old chaos dwarfs.

I've got some of the really old (pre big hat) chaos dwarves, and I really like the old figures. I've stripped the horrible paint and keep thinking about repainting them and using them in my skaven army (as DoW dwarves - nothing else to fill Rare slots anyway...) but I keep coming back to how much that M3 will leave them left behind the rest of the army.

Dwarf Longbeard
10-12-2007, 19:51
Normally I wouldn't use DoW but as my dwarf army has gotten bigger (5000pts now :) ) I had a try at using some Ogre Maneaters in a battle - even though they died I've decided to include a unit of 3 in my army now as they did really well and having an odd looking unit in the standard army can look pretty cool as well :)

My main nemesis (he plays Orcs & Goblins) has two DoW units - Oglah Khan's Wolfboyz and Rugld's Armoured Orcs both of these blend into his army really well and I always have to be careful of them because there a bit tougher than the standard wolf riders and orc archers.

Has anyone ever found a use for the Birdmen of Catrazza?

Makaber
10-12-2007, 20:11
I do use Mengil Manhider and his merry band regularly. Also, a friend of mine swears by Bronzinos Galloper Guns in his ogre army (painted in the swedish blue and yellow and given the first name Nicklas). But then again, Ogre Kingdoms need all the help they can get.

der_lex
10-12-2007, 20:24
When I expand my Chaos army a bit more, I plan to add a Cannon and a Giant at some point.

The Giant is primarily just because I think it'll be fun to model up.

Why don't you simply take the Chaos Giant from the Beasts of Chaos book? If anything, it's actually better than your average giant (if you give it the Mutant Monstrosity' upgrade).

Khorghan
10-12-2007, 20:28
I never use them.

i agree, i dont use them

ZeroTwentythree
10-12-2007, 20:29
Has anyone ever used the Birdmen of Catrazza?

I've got a unit of them, but they have got to be the most worthless unit in the game. 25 points for flying human with a bow and hand weapon? Not even worth considering. And I'm known to use troops that aren't considered effective, if I like the figures or the fluff or it fits in with a theme or whatever. But the Birdmen are just too much suck to put down on the table.

A shame, because I like the concept and the figures.

I would love it if they wrote a WD article and redid the rules plus some revised/expanded fluff.

madden
10-12-2007, 20:43
I dont use them as i cant get hold of the rules in a book if they released them i would seiously consider them.

the overlord
10-12-2007, 20:47
Haven't used them yet. But since I have almost every unit official released through GW during 5th/ 6th edition in my possesion it is more then likely that one or more units will be used in conjunction with one of my armies (this is when spoken of Regiments of Renown).

If you are refering towards the Dogs of War. Not very likely to be used within foreseeable future in conjunction with another Fantasy army. But more then likely to be used as stand alone armies. DoW are excelent convertion amries:D

One of my clebmates allready build several of these. Carthago, Pirates, Greeks...

brambleten
10-12-2007, 20:58
i was going to get some marksmen of miragliano, before i realised they were mail order. other than planning on getting Gotrek + Felix, and maybe an albion set for my HEs, i wont touch them

memitchell747
10-12-2007, 21:14
I dont use them as i cant get hold of the rules in a book if they released them i would seiously consider them.
http://uk.games-workshop.com/dogsofwar/lists/

Coragus
10-12-2007, 22:07
Over the weekend, I was ready for a 2000 point game. My friend showed up with a 2500 point list. In a hurry, I threw the Truthsayer into the list. I'd never used it before, and before is got ran over by an overrunning unit of Chaos Knights, it put a 5+ invul save on my Slayers (which didn't come into play because they didn't take any wounds in their ensuing combat) and called down 11 s2 hits on a lone surviving maurader horseman that was running from my Slayers. My third spell was disspelled. He also charged and caused two wounds to a Chaos chariot.

In all, I kind of liked him. He added a dimension of the game (magic) that I don't normally get to use, and it threw my friend off balance for a little while.

mistformsquirrel
10-12-2007, 23:20
Why don't you simply take the Chaos Giant from the Beasts of Chaos book? If anything, it's actually better than your average giant (if you give it the Mutant Monstrosity' upgrade).

Because I'm a nitwit and didn't think of that? <,<

Bingo the Fun Monkey
10-12-2007, 23:25
I like to take Ruglud's Armored Orcs with my Orcs and Gobboz because at higher points values they can really come into their own. I'll probably be converting some goblin duelists. That's about as far as I would go. I wouldn't hire, say, Mengil's Manflayers.

der_lex
11-12-2007, 01:06
Because I'm a nitwit and didn't think of that? <,<

Glad to be of service ;)
Now enjoy dropping your epileptic mutant giant on any unit that bothers you :D

Braad
11-12-2007, 03:20
I had such an idea some time ago.
Gobbo's with cannons rule big time!

I field the DOW cannon with my O&G.
I don't use it that often though, just for the sake of variety.
And I usually ask my opponents if I can use gobbo stats instead of humie ones. For some reasons, no-one complains about that...

Check mine if you need some ideas:
My gobbo cannon (http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87694)

I'm also thinking about Ruglud's armoured orcs. I proxied them once, and they did very well.

Crazy Harborc
12-12-2007, 00:08
Braad.....VERY nice gobbo cannon.:D

I've used the RoR pike units a few times. Since I have the OLD RoR Orcs with armour, shields and crossbows, I use that unit from time to time. Heavy cav, with no barding and fast cav with bows and spears. DoW pikes and crossbows, the northern maraurders and the RoR, Bearmen. There were more and will be in the future.;)

I rarely push a DoW army. I prefer the unit or two of mercs approach.

gorenut
12-12-2007, 00:48
I use them to help theme my army. I currently have some Ironguts in my Empire army because I don't take any knights and half of my army is converted to look like they are from the far East. The rest of my army is a mish mash of conversions.. so the army as a whole looks like a merc force or an establishment that is somewhere between the Old World and the Far East of humans or like-minded individuals bonding together to fight a common foe. Ogres totally fit into my army.

When I get Vampire Counts, I'll probably never use any DoW.

On a side note.. I want to get Tzar Boris' bear and convert him to have armor. I've always joked about having armored bears and now my mind is set after watching a few scenes from Golden Compass (which aside from armored bears, was kind of a lame movie). I've yet to decide to use Rhinox Rider or Ogre Maneater as it's stats.

Leogun_91
12-12-2007, 09:57
I like Dow and I have a unit of crossbows in my goblin force and is about to ad a Truthsayer to my dwarfs.

I would go for a Maneater in heavy armour with two handweapons for the bear.

RevEv
12-12-2007, 10:11
I like DoW - I have most of the models, some are even painted.

As a preference I don't use them other than to add colour to an army, although Ogres as DoW fit in well with Dwarfs, O&G, or Empire. I also use the Kislev detachment rules to add to both my Dwarf and Empire armies as the fluff fits.

Sauron90
12-12-2007, 10:19
I have been thinking about DOW from time to time but never got any. I am thinking about zombies or skeletons with crossbows though for me VC army (crossbowmen rules) Becuse I think skeletons would make great archers fluff wise (pretty hard to kill one with a arrow that goes straight through the ribcage without hitting anything).

ehlijen
12-12-2007, 12:00
I use them in my dwarf army because I wante some way to actually use the pony wagons from the miner boxes as something. So now I have drunken beardlings stealing the supply train and abusing the wagons as chariots (Ogre Irongut rules). It's not a perfect match, and yes, maybe it shouldn't be in a dwarf army, but what else am I to do with those carts :p

Phoenix Blaze
12-12-2007, 13:17
People are gonna hate me for this (actually, people *did* hate me for this) but I used Dogs of war cannons in my beasts army......although I did convert the crew to be 2 ungor and a gor. They looked good.

When I planned my ogre army I wanted to take a big unit of Oghla Khan's Wolf Boyz, but that was more to reinforce the far eastern theme they were going to have.

I'm thinking of adding Ruglud's Armoured Orcs to my beastmen army. In my mind, they're the race most likely to ever get along with orcs. And it's not as if I'm adding them to my Wood elves.

the12thronin
12-12-2007, 16:06
I use them in my dwarf army because I wante some way to actually use the pony wagons from the miner boxes as something. So now I have drunken beardlings stealing the supply train and abusing the wagons as chariots (Ogre Irongut rules). It's not a perfect match, and yes, maybe it shouldn't be in a dwarf army, but what else am I to do with those carts :p

I've been trying to get more of the ponies to be able to convert some Dwarf heavy cav using the DoW heavy cav rules. Chariots as Ironguts seems appealing to me as well. I hadn't thought of that one and I have some extra bits from some TK chariots as well....

mistformsquirrel
12-12-2007, 16:12
Glad to be of service ;)
Now enjoy dropping your epileptic mutant giant on any unit that bothers you :D

>.> *considers modeling the giant on a huge flying stand doing an elbow-drop*

twj
13-12-2007, 16:34
I liked the look of Ricco's Republican Guard (fits in perfectly with 6th edition (i.e. decent) Empire) and now have a 400 point unit of them.... lol

Anyway, I have no problem with DoW as it can add an extra dimension to army composition. However, they are best utilised amongst friends!

Sergeant Uriel Ventris
13-12-2007, 17:06
"I had such an idea some time ago.
Gobbo's with cannons rule big time!

I field the DOW cannon with my O&G.
I don't use it that often though, just for the sake of variety.
And I usually ask my opponents if I can use gobbo stats instead of humie ones. For some reasons, no-one complains about that...

Check mine if you need some ideas:

I'm also thinking about Ruglud's armoured orcs. I proxied them once, and they did very well." - Braad

Well, looks like I'm not the only one who though their Orcs and Goblins could use some heavy support:

http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj290/Living4him5534/warhamer006.jpg
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj290/Living4him5534/warhamer008.jpg
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj290/Living4him5534/warhamer011.jpg
http://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj290/Living4him5534/warhamer010.jpg

I just finished up mine the other day and I have no idea how they will perform. The idea is that they overwhelmed a dwarfen cannon crew... which means more than likely they came upon the dead dwarfs and claimed their cannon for Gork and Mork! I added spikey bits to the cannon to reflect its new masters, and then rusted just the added on parts. The cannon itself, being dwarf made, would be more resistant to the elements. I threw the helmet on one and the shell behind another, both from the cannon boxed set. The goblins are all from the 40K range, and totally awesome. Thisis great because one of my friend plays dwarfs and I actually colored thier pants and loincloths to match the main color of his army, which will hopefully make him wonder where that cannon came from...heh heh heh....

I also am painting up a unit of Ruglud's Armored Orcs. I kept hearing people say they are way to expensive, but if you all up all the points and consider that you're getting another hero without using a slot and that normally you can't even field crossbows, it's a great deal. Also, in and Orcs and Goblins army, they only take up a Special Choice!

lokiraptor
13-12-2007, 17:07
for some time I've wanted to build a Dogs of War force that would be a contingent of an Empire Army. No black powder, pikes, crossbow, and greatsword heavy. the plan is when I get around to doing it the army will be themed off the comic series/graphic novel Artesia. If you haven't read it then i recommend you all do, its fantastic! http://www.aspcomics.com/artesia.php

mistformsquirrel
13-12-2007, 17:27
That looks interesting Lokiraptor... I didn't even know comics like that existed honestly.

SevenSins
13-12-2007, 18:47
My only completed army is OK and I chose that army because of the DoW rules. While completing my next army I can use some points on ironguts until I get the new stuff finished (or a giant... Just love those although they always underperform for me)

Was planning on using a cannon (gnoblar manned) for my OK aswell (planning on a circus-theme cannon with a gnoblar beeing fired from the cannon. And possibly some circus maneaters to fill out the theme?)

Those gobbo cannons look great by the way :)

Just Tony
13-12-2007, 19:47
My brother and I have accumulated a TON of the starter set Empire spearmen, and are in the process of turning them into Dogs of War Pikemen. After MUCH consideration, and with the exception of some Regiments of Renown, we've decided to base the paintscheme of the army off of Morgan Bernhardt's Grudgebringers off of the Shadow of the Horned Rat and Dark Omen PC games. It'll give our DOW a real ragtag appearance, but TONS of conversion ideas. It should be a blast.

The Regiments of Renown are, for the most part, set to go back into whichever army they come from racially. Ruglud in Orcs, Mengel in DE and the like.

On a side note, we've decided to incorporate some "counts as" units to fill in a few much needed slots. And yes, that does mean some much needed in shooting in NSA's (No Shooting Armies). I'm curious how a Ghoul crewed cannon will look? Possibly some Marauder crossbowmen? Oh, the mind boggles...

Nephilim of Sin
13-12-2007, 20:52
I have yet to use them, but I have some Leadbelchers coming my way for my O&G. Seems to fit for me to have something that still has the potential to wreak havoc to my own army. As for the "band-aid", I disagree, as I believe DOW to be incredibly fluffy. There is no reason an army would not adapt and hire on mercs from time to time, and it gives both the opponent and the player something different to try out. Keeps things from getting stale.