PDA

View Full Version : Good 360 RPG

giner
10-12-2007, 15:55
I'm getting an Xbox 360 for Xmas with Halo 3 and CoD4, samey I know but they are not changing.

I was thinking about getting an RPG however I haven't ever played one. I was thinking Mass Effect or Oblivion. I'm quite into the customisation aspect of them, what would you recomend?

vcassano
10-12-2007, 16:09
Oblivion is atrocious and overrated - DO NOT BUY. Mass Effect is a game plagued with bugs and technical difficulties and design flaws that make it near impossible to play after a while. Get Eternal Sonata instead. It is a Sega RPG with exquisite graphics that creates a great personal adventure full of enjoyable moments and characters. The combat isn't marvellous but it is a hell of a lot more fun than Oblivion or Mass Effect's systems.

Jim Reaper
10-12-2007, 16:11
I have them both, and I'd recommend either heartily. They both allow you to customise your character to a decent extent, though Oblivion gives you a wider range (particularly in the face editor, though the Mass Effect editor makes more human-looking faces IMO). In terms of the game, Oblivion gives you more freedom in terms of what you can and can't do, but the stuff that you do in Mass Effect has more effect on the game world.

Both are excellent games, though, like I said - you can't really go too far wrong with either.

The Guy
10-12-2007, 16:20
Oblivion is atrocious and overrated - DO NOT BUY

:wtf:
I'm speechless....

Bombot
10-12-2007, 16:22
Oblivion has its flaws, but I would hardly call it atrocious. I've wasted many an hour on the game. It is huge.

Stormtrooper Clark
10-12-2007, 16:43
The hardest part of Oblivion is making a decent face, if you manage to do that, it'll be no problem to complete the game.

Bombot
10-12-2007, 16:44
The problem is that what you see in the face generator and what shows up in the game do not match. It's a bit annoying!

ghost hunter
10-12-2007, 16:48
Get morrowind ;)

It has better plotline more factions more weapons and is generaly better than oblivion

vcassano
10-12-2007, 16:58
The problem with Oblivion - apart from the tedious missions, awful AI and terrible combat - is that all that land to explore is boring. There is nothing to do. No interesting characters, no way to immerse yourself in the game. In fact I found the wilderness areas a massive hassle as I hurried through them on horse - if it was so good I should enjoy doing this.

forgotten hero
10-12-2007, 17:13
Morrowind is better than Oblivion, but Oblivion is pretty good i enjoyed it!

-Rob

Snoozer
10-12-2007, 17:43
Oblivion was great... for the first 5 hours, then you realize that you have done it all, and there really is no point to any of it and leveling up is a joke, as everything is always the same lvl as you.

I became the arena champion the first time I visited the capital city (can't remember what lvl I was), nothing in the game feels like a real challenge and there are not even decent awards for clearing dungeons (because what you find will be set to what ever level you happen to be).

But the first 5 hours are great, because you are not aware of these things.

:D

Strikerkc
10-12-2007, 18:21
I am genuinely horrified by some of the things people are saying in this thread.

Oblivion and mass effect are both excellent games, the only "bugs" any one has ever run into in mass effect is because to many retards never bother to open the manual (you know, where they game designers tell you how to play the game ;)). And there's nothing wrong with the AI in oblivion either (spell chuckers try and stay away from you, and combat creatures and opponents buff them selves with magic and then try to tear you in half). And heaven forbid the designers did well with the monster leveling (any given combat will be a fair match for you at any level). All that does is let you do things in any order you want. The point of leveling up in the game is to get different ways to deal with a problem (do you sneak through and lock pick your way through a necromancer's lair and slit his throat while he sleeps? Or do you go in with your faithful summoned bipedal crocodile of doom and set every zombie and skeleton on fire, then suck the very soul from the necromancer to power your own foul sorcery?:evilgrin:)

Mass effect or oblivion will be great (though feel free to rent either before you buy them, if you like them, it's well worth the rental cost for how much time you'll spend playing either one of them).

My main complaints about marrowind (another earlier game set in another part of the same world oblivion is in) was that the quest system wasn't really built well. You'd get a quest to "go to some town" that was "to the north" and it seemed like it could be just about anywhere "north" of you. Very little direction given to you it seemed. Made it less fun for me than oblivion was.

Gue'la Koholic
10-12-2007, 19:23
Dude, I totally agree with vcassano on both of those games. I have Oblivion. I do not play it. I have Mass Effect. I do not play it either. I wish they were both still wrapped so I could return them and get some money for them. Mass Effect would win because the graphics are actually next-gen looking, as opposed to the PS2 in high def graphics of Oblivion.

I'll wait for Fable 2. Maybe it won't suck. Until then, the only game I've play that I can recommend is Bioshock, if only because it has RPG-like elements.

Drogmir
10-12-2007, 21:07
Well Oblivion is cheaper sorta.

Maybe take that until ME drops down in price unless you're a rabbid fan of ME like me :)

silence
10-12-2007, 22:02
Oblivion... Personally i love this game. But it i very much a sandbox game, it refuses to hold your hand and guide you through step by step. If your expecting a game like the FF series you may be disappointed as it does not hold your hand as much. In Oblivion you have to make your own story, you have to "walk the walk". Otherwise you can get bored.

I've heard it said that exploring the wilderness in Oblivion is a chore, and I suppose it can be, but at the same time I love it, I like finding the things hidden in the woods like a demon (Daedric) shrine, a new set of ancient crumbling ruins or just another traveller.

There are so many things right with Oblivion that you should really give it a try and let me know what you think of it, you might just hate it, but if you are prepared to play an RPG that lets you do exactly what you want to in the game world without being directed solely by the main plot you may be in for a treat. :) Either way I'd like to hear from you in the future of your experiances.

Gannon
11-12-2007, 00:08
Oblivion was ok for me. I love Mass Effect (currently playing it) but then again I'm more of a sci-fi geek than fantasy. Either will probably sate your taste buds for a decent rpg. If you're into it Eternal Sonata (aka Trusty Bell in Japan) is a good pick up. It's a bit linear but the storyline and cinemagraphics are awesome. Also good for a JRPG is Blue Dragon. It's a beautiful game, the only complaint I had is that's it's a bit slow. Whatever you do, don't get Enchanted Arms! Even though it was technically the first "next-gen" rpg the controls and graphics are dated by todays standards. Plus the grid combat system was very boring to play.

==Me==
11-12-2007, 05:04
Gah, the heresy in this thread!

Mass Effect and Oblivion are fantastic games, well worth the money and great fun on second or third playthroughs, if just to try out different abilities/characters/dialogue options. The combat systems are intuitive and responsive once you get the hang of them, the graphics are solid, and the games are very deep and immersive with all kinds of new stuff everywhere.

They aren't without flaws (Obliv-easy achievements, repetitive missions, ME-texture popping, repetitive dungeons, makes the 360 sound like a jet engine) but they are great games nonetheless.

vcassano
11-12-2007, 16:09
I am genuinely horrified by some of the things people are saying in this thread.

Oblivion and mass effect are both excellent games, the only "bugs" any one has ever run into in mass effect is because to many retards never bother to open the manual (you know, where they game designers tell you how to play the game ;)). And there's nothing wrong with the AI in oblivion either (spell chuckers try and stay away from you, and combat creatures and opponents buff them selves with magic and then try to tear you in half). And heaven forbid the designers did well with the monster leveling (any given combat will be a fair match for you at any level). All that does is let you do things in any order you want. The point of leveling up in the game is to get different ways to deal with a problem (do you sneak through and lock pick your way through a necromancer's lair and slit his throat while he sleeps? Or do you go in with your faithful summoned bipedal crocodile of doom and set every zombie and skeleton on fire, then suck the very soul from the necromancer to power your own foul sorcery?:evilgrin:)

Mass effect or oblivion will be great (though feel free to rent either before you buy them, if you like them, it's well worth the rental cost for how much time you'll spend playing either one of them).

My main complaints about marrowind (another earlier game set in another part of the same world oblivion is in) was that the quest system wasn't really built well. You'd get a quest to "go to some town" that was "to the north" and it seemed like it could be just about anywhere "north" of you. Very little direction given to you it seemed. Made it less fun for me than oblivion was.

If you were replying to me and let's face it, I was the one criticising Oblivion so completely, then your answers to criticism are a little odd seeing as I didn't really focus on those issues.

Also I fail to see how I am a retard because there are hideous bugs in it. I did read the manual and strangely it didn't stop the graphical pop ups or the frame rate issues. I wonder why?

Anyway in retrospect I was a little harsh about Mass Effect - it is a good game. Now I love Baldur's Gate 2 so naturally I have a lot of time for Bioware and the main storyline was pretty good. However if you veered off to do any of the plethoras of side quests you will encounter frustration.

Every side quest is effectively the same - go to random planet (all none-main plot planets are the same except either icy or arid) and clear out identical building. Ad infinitum. Ad Infinitum. Ad Infinitum.

Of course you can ignore the side quests (and I wholly recommend you do so) but then other issues appear. There is alot of graphics pop-up which some people dislike, though I couldn't care less as I prefer the isometric nature of BG2 anyway so graphics aren't too important for me. However there are serious frame rate issues which at first you'll think you can put up with but later as you progress through the game this frustration snowballs with the other annoyances and it became unplayable for me.

The last area of criticism the game is due is in the sheer inaccessibility of it. The menus are difficult to read (at least on non-HD TVs) and when you pick armour it shows armours you can't even use, meaning you have to scroll through every bit of armour to find what you want. Also there is no option to multi-select things to turn them all into omni-gel, meaning you have to go through everything individually. AAARRRGHH. Also it suffers from the fookin' annoying loading screens of KOTOR, especially on Noveria.

Nephilim of Sin
11-12-2007, 16:26
Actually, a lot of the d/l from X-box fix the Oblivion "glitch" and bug issues (except for the paintbrush). I think it is fair to say that Oblivion is unlike RPG's we are used to. Obvious there is the main quest, but the beauty off it is that there is so much more you can do. It truly is like they try to give you an actual role-playing experiance, rather than an RPG experiance. It is not "dumbed down", where in other RPGs you have the game lead you, or give you the false sense that you are leading it. It has a great A.I. (enemies will come after you, even in buildings) that represents a fantasy world.

Maybe one of the reasons I like Mass Effect and Oblivion is because I remember playing those "great" RPG games (good D&D games, KOTOR, etc...) and saying "Man, why does this have to end?" or "I am so powerful now, but it is the end of the game!", or even "I wish I could do this.....". Oblivion offers that. It is not a game to enjoy the story and beat. It is a game that you immerse yourself into, like D&D itself. You don't "beat" D&D. You have these endless sidequests. Leveling up is a joke (Read High Level Campaigns, not to mention homebrewed monsters....). It is an experience. If after five hours you do not like Oblivion, cool, it is not the game for you. However, it is a game for those of us that have been crying and wanting something more than the standard subpar RPG. Is it the best game. NO. But I know that if I spend 50 hours on it, I will have gained much more of a sense of accomplishment than spending 50 on another and simply beating it. But I am just that kind of gamer.

Although the one criticism I have for the game is the influence/talk wheel (whatever it is called). I still don't get....
And the menu is hard to read on smaller tvs.

Also, some say "Two Worlds" is decent, but I rented it and found the voice acting to be horrible, which is why I didn't get far in it.

Strikerkc
11-12-2007, 22:31
Well, I don't know what to tell you, I've never had frame rate issues on Mass effect.

And I'd love you to find me any RPG where the side quests don't boil down to "Go here and collect this" or "go here and kill things" or "go here and convince some one of something". And while the shell of the areas are drawn from the same pool, the interior space is rearanged with crates, boxes, arches, terminals, explosives, etc. Combine that with all the different types of combatants they can throw in and mix with each other and I've never had a combat on a side mission play out the same way.

And your comment about seeing armor you can't where is ridculous. You can look at the list of armor and tell what you can wear imediatly at a glance. Wrong armor is greyed out, and armor you can wear is bright blue (bright orange when you scrole past it).

Although the one criticism I have for the game is the influence/talk wheel (whatever it is called). I still don't get....

It tells you in the manual how it works. Left side digs deeper into the conversation (investigative options, charater building), right side moves the conversation along (cuts to the point), options near the top are nicer, options near the bottom are ruthless/confrontational, intimidate is in red, persuade is in blue. You can hold a conversation with out even having to read what the options say. All in the manual.

vcassano
14-12-2007, 08:59
And I'd love you to find me any RPG where the side quests don't boil down to "Go here and collect this" or "go here and kill things" or "go here and convince some one of something". And while the shell of the areas are drawn from the same pool, the interior space is rearanged with crates, boxes, arches, terminals, explosives, etc. Combine that with all the different types of combatants they can throw in and mix with each other and I've never had a combat on a side mission play out the same way.

Seriously every side-quest in Mass Effect outside of the Citadel is identical just with some contrived but of backstory which I can't read because I don't have a damned HD TV. In Baldur's Gate 2 for example there are several major and varied side-quests - liberating the de'Arnise Keep, the Cult of the Unseeing Eye, the Planar sphere to name but a few.

Arnizipal
14-12-2007, 10:38
In Baldur's Gate 2 for example there are several major and varied side-quests - liberating the de'Arnise Keep,
Go there and kill things...

the Cult of the Unseeing Eye,
Go there and kill things...

the Planar sphere to name but a few.
And even more go there and kill things ;) :p

vcassano
14-12-2007, 14:29
Yes but they aren't the same damned arenas and the combat has a lot more depth than Mass Effect's shooting.

Grazzy
15-12-2007, 18:13
Oblivion is very good. I would reccomend it.

giner
15-12-2007, 19:16
Thanks everyone, I've decided on Oblivion (got it for 14.99 from game).

Heretic12
15-12-2007, 19:33
Ive played through ME once on Veteran and have plans of going through it a second time on Insane or Hardcore. Now ME is a great game the combat is fun, though I am a huge fan of shooters 3rd and 1st so having a shooter with a strong RPG element and the ability to lift my target a mile in the air and put sniper rounds through him as he hangs there is wicked fun in my opinion. Now its not all great, besides the planets that are main story arc related most seem pretty un-inspired. And the Buildings on these planets are all copy paste, there are acouple times were driving the Orca (The super APC/Tank hybrid from doom with abit of Monster Trukk inbreeding thrown in) as the turret controls can be a little skiddish. And the 3 or 4 fights with a giant worm like creature can come to a grinding halt when the AI decides to instagib you (Though this is rare it only happened twice through out my travels)

As for Oblivion Ive put in as many days worth of playing on it as I have WoW (130+) spanning 5 characters of different builds and play styles, Ive collected near 1150 of the AP from it. The graphics are great and honestly they do feel next gen, the AI is extremely simple which can give the illusion of poor. Alot of the quests including those from the Shimering Isles are pretty inventive. As for the folks saying that Been there done all in 5 hours, its the same in any game. If its a shooter, your firing the same weapon at the same monsters for 10 hours, throw in a vehicle or rail sequence and you got half the shooters on the market. Traditional RPGs, are no different. Level off random encounters till your strong enough to kill the next boss, rinse repeat kill uber boss and watch credits.

Really if you want an accurate representation of the game, dont listen to random forum BS. Go and rent it, play it as long as you see fit. If you like it buy it if not dont. ME and Oblivion are quite far from the standard RPG experience and the only way to tell is by playing it.

-Cheers

BarbedHawk
15-12-2007, 21:32
Really if you want an accurate representation of the game, dont listen to random forum BS. Go and rent it, play it as long as you see fit. If you like it buy it if not dont. ME and Oblivion are quite far from the standard RPG experience and the only way to tell is by playing it.

Agreed 100%. Well said that man.

Nephilim of Sin
15-12-2007, 22:59
Thanks everyone, I've decided on Oblivion (got it for 14.99 from game).

Remember to come up for breath every six months or so....:)

And more-so than any game I have played, save often, in different spots. Especially if you play a thief-type.

Adept
16-12-2007, 04:42
Oblivion was great... for the first 5 hours, then you realize that you have done it all, and there really is no point to any of it and leveling up is a joke, as everything is always the same lvl as you.

Thats exatcly what I found as well.

There is no point, no desire to level up, because it doesn't make any parts of the game any easier.

Part of the fun of having a levelling system in an RPG (to me at least) is being able to increase your power relative to your enemies. Those three wolves that killed you sixteen times when you were level 1 become a heartbeats work at level 10, and by level 70 you are a nigh on unstoppable entity of doom!

Oblivion would have done better to eliminate all aspects of levelling entirely.

I have found Two Worlds much more enjoyable than Oblivion, despite its flaws.

Remoah
19-12-2007, 09:12
Never liked HALO- played the demo for number 3 and it was just like number 2 with slightly upped graphics, but still the mass of happy purple-greeny colours.

COD-4 is excellent, probably the best game i've ever played, the missions are totally imersive, the graphics are excellent and some of the missions are soooo much fun (all ghillied up and mile high club... creamed my pants when i completed those two on veteran...)