PDA

View Full Version : Nicoteine... crave nicoteine...

devolutionary
18-09-2005, 11:26
So I'm quitting smoking. I've been trying to cut back all week, and it hurts, it physically hurts! I tried cold turkey for 2 days, painful. Have been on 3-4 smokes a day since, except for Friday, when I got incredibly drunk and failed miserabley.

Anyone else suffered/suffering this right now? I don't want to quit, that doesn't help. I need to do it though, if only because I had two lung infections in one month, which is not a good look. I will tell you though, going from a 20-30 a day habit down to virtually none is no easy task by any stretch of the imagination.

He Who Laughs
18-09-2005, 11:41
Hmm, I can't help you on this one mate - never smoked, and have no friends that do - but I guess you could start by not going cold-turkey so quickly. Cut back on one cigarette per day, so by the end of one month you're not smoking any more - and the reaction shouldn't be so severe. Cold turkey is not a good idea, no matter what you're addicted to. It's a willpower thing too. If you KNOW you can do it, you WILL quit. If you think you CAN'T quit, you WON'T be able to.

Sojourner
18-09-2005, 12:01
'The professionals' reckon cutting down doesn't help. Something to do with residual levels.

Ideas:
Don't keep cash on you when you're out
Get a big bag of mints and/or a worry stone
Have the internet available for you 24 hours a day
Ask your mates NOT TO OFFER YOU ONE
Bin all your lighters

Spider
18-09-2005, 12:46
Choice A. Continue to smoke, but accept that you will spend 1000's of or $ or whatever. In all likelyhood you will die a very painfull death, before you finally die however you will probably have to have a limb or two amputated and run a very high risk of going blind. Facts.

Choice B. Stop.

It is that simple.

And yes, i did smoke for many years so i know about quitting.

It isn't easy, but its far easier than chemotherapy.

Gethalorre
18-09-2005, 12:49
What about hypnotism? Or Nicotine patches? Or nicotine gum?

Adept
18-09-2005, 13:15
Buddy, I'm right there with you. I'm quitting myself this week, and it's damn hard. Especially working as a bouncer in a bar with every second patron smoking.

Watch out for that 'last one'. The last ones are better than sex. I should know, I've had about thirty of them...

Aenarion
18-09-2005, 13:33
Watch out for that 'last one'. The last ones are better than sex. I should know, I've had about thirty of them...

Thats very true! I've cut back alot recently and I managed to give it up for two weeks but I got rather intoxicated and started again, I shall give it another go sometime soon.

Strikerkc
18-09-2005, 14:08
I'd say to not be afraid of using the patches and gums on the market.

They may be a bit on the expensive side at times, but it's going to be loads cheaper in the long run when you've stoped smoking.

And I second Sojourner's sugestions, all excelent ideas.

Yodhrin
18-09-2005, 14:38
Now, Im going to sound like some New Age wierdo for suggesting this, but go get hypnosis.

I am not joking, if you go to a reputable hypnotist you will never smoke again. My mother smoked for 37 years, anywhere from 10-30 a day depending on how stressed she was. She had hypnosis six months ago, and she hasnt had a single smoke since, she deliberately tried one a month ago and was almost sick.

Ive not done it yet because, with my current part-time wage, it's a little to much to blow on one thing, and also because Ive only smoked for a few years and still quite enjoy it, but Ive been saving the odd bit of cash here and there and plan to have it done by the end of the year.

It's cheaper in the long run than both continuing to smoke and patches.

devolutionary
18-09-2005, 22:36
Man, what a range of opinions we have on this *chuckles* I think the option I'm forced in to is patches, which are blessedly subsidised by the government, which is a relief at least. I'm too much of a skeptic for hypnosis to work apparently, and I don't like the idea of people trying to control my thoughts like that.

Getting trashed on Friday didn't help at all. It's maddening, I was just getting used to smoking next to nothing. I think I need to go get my incentive to remind myself not to smoke.

Thanks for the advice folks, much appreciated :)

Hywel
18-09-2005, 23:06
I am incredibly gifted at going cold turkey for a week or two, then having 'just one' because 'I fancy it, not cause I'm addicted'. Then *bang* before you know it, you're back smoking.

For me the difficult part isn't so much not smoking regularly - its the circumstantial ones like waiting for a train or after a tough day. I used to be a 20 a day or whatever, now cut it down to about that many a week because I still have those situational ones. I think the only way to cut down further is even more willpower. :p

Oh, and nicotine gum. Tried it, it made me crave a cigarette far worse than if I hadn't chewed the gum.

The Dragon Reborn
18-09-2005, 23:17
Maybe you shouldnt get trashed for a while until you really quit, to me it seems like your willpower isnt as good when you are drunk

other than that maybe ask your friends and family and such not to smoke around you such or if they see you smoking ask them to kick you in the nuts, I think you would quit pretty fast then

Yodhrin
18-09-2005, 23:23
Man, what a range of opinions we have on this *chuckles* I think the option I'm forced in to is patches, which are blessedly subsidised by the government, which is a relief at least. I'm too much of a skeptic for hypnosis to work apparently, and I don't like the idea of people trying to control my thoughts like that.

Getting trashed on Friday didn't help at all. It's maddening, I was just getting used to smoking next to nothing. I think I need to go get my incentive to remind myself not to smoke.

Thanks for the advice folks, much appreciated :)

That's the thing, Hypnosis isnt the spinny circles and funny eyes mind control lark you see on the TV and whatnot. It is completely impossible for someone to control you through hypnosis, it's about tapping into your subconscious.

Your conscious mind is only aware of a limited amount of things, it deals with the now. Your subconscious mind, however, is aware of almost every tiny thing that goes on around you and within you, and it records everything. Habits develop because, when you repeat something often enough, your subconscious mind believes that the habit is necessary for you to continue functioning properly, and that's a very hard thing to break.

Modern hypnosis just gives your subconscious a push in the right direction, and allows you a limited amount of control over it. However, it only works if you actually want whatever the hypnotist is suggesting, so they cant, for example, put you under and then force you to empty your bank account :p

Seriously, look into it, you dont even have to believe in it for it to work, aparently, you just have to want whatever it is that the hypnotic suggestion is.

C. Langana
19-09-2005, 02:28
I managed to quit the cancer sticks for a month last year, the way I managed was simply to stop buying them and cadge them from my friends. After a while they got so annoyed with me doing so that they refused to give them to me.
this worked until the last night when I got blackout drunk and woke up with an empty pack and a half full pack in my jacket,
So getting drunk is the worst possible thing when quitting, but keeping something to keep your smoking fingers occupied with is a must. Even if it does mean holding a pint in one hand and a biro in the other.

Nonetheless I am the champion when it comes to quitting smoking, every single butt I light is certainly my very last one, ever, almost.

TitusAndronicus
19-09-2005, 02:35
I think you should chop your own damn head off and get it over with. If you're weak willed like me, it's the only thing that will ever stop you smoking...

EffCee
19-09-2005, 07:40
I'm suffering with you mate. Quit for a week with the support of my gf, then failed miserably when said gf dumped me unceremoniously yesterday, but that is for another thread. :cries: All I can say is keep trying. If you give in try again until you have quit. None of the NRT products have helped me at all and the patches gave me a really nasty rash, but that isn't to say that they won't work for you. Changing your routine is a massive help. If you have a cig after a meal or whatever, do something else, but if you try mints make sure that they are sugar free. Hope some of this is of some help, just keep on trying. Good luck!

Sojourner
19-09-2005, 09:09
Another suggestion I've heard is to extinguish your butts in a jar of water. Then, when you say 'I'm quitting' you take a big whiff every time you get a craving. The stench is really offputting.

lord_fenric
19-09-2005, 09:12
You need to find something to do instead of having a smoke. Every time i;ve tried to give something up, without finding something to replace it, i;ve failed because all i;ve conectrated on was what i was missing. Finding a substittre, be it mints, lollies, or whatever, will allow you to not concentrate on what you are missing. Try to avoid food though becuase the number of people i've seen who've quit smoking only to pile on the pounds is crazy. After a few days any phycial need for cigartees will have gone and all you'll have left is the mental dependency.

Sojourner
19-09-2005, 09:38
Weight gain is normally unavoidable because nicotine has physiological effects and the body takes time to adjust. don't feel bad about it.

devolutionary
19-09-2005, 09:44
I already rank in at 150kgs/330lbs. Weight gain is a non-issue, since chances are I'll start eating salads to compensate :p so far all I've done is cut back on booze and started drinking a crap load more water. Odd that.

Melchor
19-09-2005, 09:51
Get yourself a piggy-bank, and save the money you would otherwise have spent on smokes. At the end of a certain period, buy yourself something nice with that money.

Seeing your smoking habits, you should be able to buy yourself a nice car in no time...

devolutionary
19-09-2005, 10:21
*laughs* I smoked frequently, but spent far less than many others. NZ$60 a fortnight max. It's all going on a new amplifier though, which I'm getting as a huge ass reminder that I shouldn't smoke :D

The boyz
19-09-2005, 10:37
I quit smoking about a week ago, but before that I was just down to about four/five a day. This lasted for about three to four weeks, before I said to myself thats it, and I just went down to about one a day and now I have stopped altogether. It is quite hard to quit but you just have to discipline yourself and do something to take your mind of smoking. I started doing regular excersise like running and skipping and shadow boxing and stuff and that helped to take my mind of having a fag. And due to my new fitness regime I have lost a stone in weight and fill really healthy. And I am now looking to start boxing again, once I have settled into my new year at college.

Hywel
19-09-2005, 11:49
Something my mate did when he was giving up smoking was carry celery and carrots around with him... If he felt like a smoke he'd just start chewing veg. :p

Of course, you'd look a right tit if you took a carrot to the pub, this is where the method fails.

Crazy Harborc
19-09-2005, 18:31
When my father quit smoking it was because his smoking damaged lungs quit. He was asleep, that was the only good part, he didn't go out fighting to draw in one more gasp of air.

Yes, plenty of things can cause lung cancer, lung damage..............THE biggest cause is smoking, smoking will at the least speed up the shortness of breath, the weakness it causes, the years of "always having a coughing cold". The countless burnholes, the little fires in trashcans and in/on furnature.

I was only about 40 when my doctor informed (after extensive testing) me my lungs were then working at about a 50 level. I'll never be back to much more. For the last 21 years, I have a cough when I really am sick.....NOT 24/7.