PDA

View Full Version : How to Fight Monsters with Brettonians?

UncleCrazy
11-12-2007, 16:37
Like the Title. How do you handle big toughies? Treemen, Gaints, Dragons, and etc...

What units and how to plan out how to take them down?

Malorian
11-12-2007, 16:44
For monsters that are faster than you, you need to bait them. My favorite is the peg knights because everyone want to take them out.

After they take the bait and fail you treat them the same as any monster... SMASH THEM!!! Hit them with a lance, and if that doesn't work hit them with two!

Doing this is risky though. All this big nasties will cause fear or terror and your bret's Ld isn't the best. This is were grail knights, questing knights, and knights errant. In fact, it's against these monsters that questing knights still hold a key role.

Other options you have are:
-if they don't have a good save, work them down with arrows and magic
-if they don't cause a lot of wounds you can tie them up with a peasent unit
-if they are just too tough, ignore them. Charge past them and keep them chasing you.
-you can also send up a sacrifice unit and angle them towards the table edge. This way they will spend a turn killing the cheap unit and then another getting back into position. By this time the game is nearly done or it's too late for them to make a difference.

p3990013
11-12-2007, 17:04
And then there is the killing blow vs large targets...

Dragon Prince of Caledor
11-12-2007, 19:43
I think that is the dummest item ever the killing blow against large targets. Anyways put a war banner, banner, and bsb in a big unit of grailies. They are immune to psych and they get ranks for their (hated)lance formation.
Grail relique, stubborn cheap and makes a wonderful speedbump! With enough battle pilgrims it can hold up a monster for the whole game.

warlord hack'a
12-12-2007, 10:00
seriously I can not think of a way that brets can not defeat a large monster..

Count Zero
12-12-2007, 10:02
grail knight's are good arnt they, as each can issue a challenge so can hold a monster up, in a recent match 3 plain GK's held up my dragon riding lord for 3 round of CC. for only a small vp's as well.

Red_Duke
12-12-2007, 10:34
I think that is the dummest item ever the killing blow against large targets. Anyways put a war banner, banner, and bsb in a big unit of grailies. They are immune to psych and they get ranks for their (hated)lance formation.
Grail relique, stubborn cheap and makes a wonderful speedbump! With enough battle pilgrims it can hold up a monster for the whole game.

Lol, the KB on large targets is funny though! given you can then KB a Stank, or a Slann, or whatever. The Stank especially - Haveat yea Iron Beastie! :wtf:

I havent seen it come off that often, but its a giggle when it does ;)

theunwantedbeing
12-12-2007, 12:10
Generally speaking, bret tactics dont change whatever the hell you happen to be facing.

Lance it (like a boil so to speak).

Thats prettymuch them sum total of tactics vs 99% of things you'll be facing.
Against faster things just bait as Malorian stated.
Pegasus knights make a good bait unit(often dont actually cost as much as the thing your wanting to kill either).

Failing that there is another tactic.
Take a big unit of 50 or so peasant bowmen skirmishers. They'll quite easily drop a dragon in a volley or 2.
Take a couple of trebuchet's, they'll take down most big beasties with ease.

You can of course take both.

Malorian
12-12-2007, 14:29
I've never liked the trebuchet. It's a great looking model but I find that it is out of place in a regular bret army.

First your LOS is limited due to all the lances moving up, and then once you start getting into combat it will hurt you a lot more than it will hurt them if it scatters and hits one of your lances. Against monsters you first have to guess right and then hope for no scatter.

I'd stay away from this one.

L192837465
12-12-2007, 14:46
I've never liked the trebuchet. It's a great looking model but I find that it is out of place in a regular bret army.

First your LOS is limited due to all the lances moving up, and then once you start getting into combat it will hurt you a lot more than it will hurt them if it scatters and hits one of your lances. Against monsters you first have to guess right and then hope for no scatter.

I'd stay away from this one.

because, as we all know, guess artillery is pointless and stupid. :D

just use the lance. that many s5+ attacks will seriously rape a character on a dragon or something. :skull:

the12thronin
12-12-2007, 15:43
LoS is never limited against a large target since you can always see it. With the large base, you stand a good shot of hitting with an accurate guess even with the scatter.