PDA

View Full Version : Terry Pratchett illness.

x-esiv-4c
12-12-2007, 15:21
http://www.paulkidby.com/news/index.html

incredibly depressing news. I didn't know if this was already posted however I know many Warseers are avid Pratchett fans.

kortholaxthedamned
12-12-2007, 15:24
Well...crap. He's a lovely chap, and his books are great too. That is depressing..

Wolf Scout Ewan
12-12-2007, 16:14
Uuurgh that disease is horrible.

He is a damn fine chap and wish him well. I might not be a fan of his books but are alot better than most of the tat that is supposed to be "high fiction".

Wintermute
12-12-2007, 18:29
I knew about the 'phantom' stroke he discovered he had some time ago (Terry wasn't aware he had had a stroke until a year after the event).

This is really depressing news.

slaaneshes_own
12-12-2007, 19:05
Verily, a c**ptastic piece of news. He's an excellent chap and as many of us know, a damned fine author. With any luck we can get some more literary pearls from the literary wonderland that is Mr. Pratchett.

That's really knocked me sideways - y'know there's people you never expect to die? He was on my list.... along with my gran, but she's got cancer, so what do I know eh?!

Sad piece of news indeed.

Joe

Crube
13-12-2007, 12:52
I was shocked when I read this on teletext last night...

One of those things that knck you sideways as you say slaaneshes_own...

yeh... kinda lost for wrds really... I've worked with people with alzheimers and it's a horrible illness. I wish him and his family all the luck in the world....

Jedi152
13-12-2007, 13:08
I was just about to post this.

It shocked me a lot when i read it this morning. The man is a national treasure and easily one of my favourite authors. I've been into Discworld longer than i've been into GW - and i've been in that for almost 15 years. The thought that Discworld, an entire universe, could soon some to an abrupt end pretty soon is a sobering one.

But he focuses on the positive and i guess we should too. Best wishes to him and his family, and i;m sure he's got plenty of life in him yet.

Wolf Scout Ewan
13-12-2007, 13:23
Discworld will never come to an end while we still carry it in our hearts.

Wolf Sgt Kirke
13-12-2007, 13:27
what a bloody shame, still, like others here say, he seems positive so thats a good thing.
even if we never see another discworld book (which would be a huge loss), i hope he does well and wish him all the luck he needs - he has given so many readers so much that he deserves better, but thats life i suppose. good luck terry.

Darkangeldentist
13-12-2007, 13:49
It is sad news and it's a horrible disease, although how fast it progresses does at least vary.

I hope him the best.

der_lex
13-12-2007, 14:02
Sad, sad news indeed. He's a wonderful writer, and a great guy. With this and Jordan's death, 2007 was a horrible year for fantasy...

de Selby
13-12-2007, 14:22
Aaaw hell. This is bad news. And not being a high-end brain biochemistry expert I can't offer any help. Now if he'd suffered a traumatic brain injury I could at least... err, study him.

:(

Andyalloverdaplace
13-12-2007, 14:28
I'm the sort to look on the bright side to any situation. A few years back for example, when my friends Dad had prostate Cancer (which my father had suffered the year before) I went for a beer with him at his urging. When he explained it and confirmed that the method of treatment was to use a radiation "gun" aimed using four tatooed dots on his dads body I said "Well, your dad likes sports, so get them to give him something a little more interesting, like an Oilers logo on one hip, an Eskies logo on the other, a Trapper bat on the front, and a bullseye on his ass". He fell off his chair laughing.

In Terry's case, he's going to have most of his faculties for at least some time, and I can only imagine what he's going to come up with to describe it that will make us laugh to the point of tears. Nancy Reagan once described Ronald Reagans condition as "He spends most of his time trying to forget Bill Clinton is President". If Miss. "Just Say No!" can come up with that Bon Mot, imagine what Terry has in store for us.

Courage

Sandlemad
13-12-2007, 15:46
This is incredibly bad news. That such a disease should affect him, of all people, with his imagination and talent.
Kudos to him on maintaining such a bright outlook. I knew it would be bad when I clicked the link but that he entitled it "An Embuggerance" made me smile, a little.:(
He aten't dead indeed

Brotherdraagor
13-12-2007, 15:56
Well put Andyalloverdaplace. As Terry himself has said, he's not dead yet, and will no doubt supply us with more mirth as he has done for years. My thoughts are with him though; no one has ever written a book I've read through entirely in one sitting, and I doubt no one else could. His loss (when it comes) will be felt throughout the fantasy world.

Jedi152
13-12-2007, 15:57
I wonder how many alt.fan.pratchett users will make him dried frog pills and "I aten't dead!" signs? :)

If anyone can look in the bright side, it's Terry!

floyd pinkerton
13-12-2007, 16:17
bless him:(

Well, all we can hope is he's not off too soon

El_Machinae
13-12-2007, 18:15
We really should do something about that disease, be more proactive against it.

kyussinchains
13-12-2007, 19:10
at least he's got enough money to afford the very best treatment and therapies available, every penny of it deserved I might add.

I'm really sad about this however, it's like losing a family member, someone who has bought laughter and joy to so many millions.

I hope he fights this for as long as is possible, and retains as much dignity as he can in the face of this cruel and debilitating illness

matthewmw64
13-12-2007, 20:25
God damn that some sad news. He fully doesn't deserve to have the sort of thing happen to him as well.

Hideous Loon
13-12-2007, 22:47
Darn. That sure is sad news. I mean, I hardly noticed when our Secretary of Foreign Affairs got killed, I flinched a bit when 9/11 happened, but the death of Pterry will shake my heart. It's like kyussinchains said, it's a lot like losing someone close to you.

The Dude
14-12-2007, 01:33
A mate of mine sent me the news yesterday, and I was very sad to hear it. I wish him well and hope he manages to stave it off as long as possible.

In Terry's case, he's going to have most of his faculties for at least some time, and I can only imagine what he's going to come up with to describe it that will make us laugh to the point of tears. Nancy Reagan once described Ronald Reagans condition as "He spends most of his time trying to forget Bill Clinton is President". If Miss. "Just Say No!" can come up with that Bon Mot, imagine what Terry has in store for us.

So true. Iím sure he will be able to bust it out for a while yet.

I wonder how many alt.fan.pratchett users will make him dried frog pills and "I aten't dead!" signs? :)

Ha ha! Quality.

I do hope, however, that this condition doesnít see him drop his guard and allow a whole swath of crappy film/TV versions of the Discworld books to be made.

Hang onÖ :p

Captain Fun
14-12-2007, 07:34
Guys, he isn't dead yet!

I'm a bit upset to hear this news as I'm a huge fan of the Pratchett... but it's not like he's suddenly hospitalised or anything. He's an old guy, he's bound to have a few problems with his health. I'm not too worried about this one. He'll get a few more books out for sure and as somebody already said he'll have access to the best medical help possible.

Everybody dies eventually, even Terry. We don't even know if this ailment will make him die any sooner than he would have. I'll save my grief for when there is a real problem.

Long live Terry!

Jedi152
14-12-2007, 07:59
When he deems himself unfit to continue writing, i wonder if he'll open up the Discworld to other writers?

The Dude
14-12-2007, 09:47
When he deems himself unfit to continue writing, i wonder if he'll open up the Discworld to other writers?

Good question. I am yet to find an author that I feel could take on that mantle. Apart form maybe Adams, and that's not going to happen either...

Arnizipal
14-12-2007, 10:44
Guys, he isn't dead yet!

[snip]

Everybody dies eventually, even Terry. We don't even know if this ailment will make him die any sooner than he would have. I'll save my grief for when there is a real problem.

Long live Terry!
Sure, he isn't dead yet, but with Alzheimer's your mental abilities can go down quickly. Pratchett can live to be a hundered with Alzheimer's disease, but I can't imagine him still being able to write novels in a year or two. :(

Geetarman
14-12-2007, 11:22
Sure, he isn't dead yet, but with Alzheimer's your mental abilities can go down quickly. Pratchett can live to be a hundered with Alzheimer's disease, but I can't imagine him still being able to write novels in a year or two. :(

Sorry but thats very negative, whilst its a horrible condition and a horrible thing to happen to such a nice person remember that alzheimers can take many years to fully take hold.

Also consider that on average it can take longer the more mentally active you are (recent studies have shown direct correlations between the speed of loss/reduction of mental abilities to inactivity/undersuse of the brain, i.e. those poor old people dumped in homes infront of a TV and ignored forever lose it much quicker and go downhill than those that continue to read/study, meet and talk with people and be active etc).

Terry is not only a bright ole stick (and not that old I might add) but he's also very mentally active in comparison to a lot of people with all his book writing, travelling, converntions etc. This can have quite a positive effect on the time it takes to lose mental capacity to a noticeable level which should hopefully seem him in good stead for some time yet.

So i say, keep up the writing Terry! You make us all smile, and sometimes cry, and I hope you may continue to do so for many years yet!

He Ain'tnt ded yet!

Gman

Kohhna
14-12-2007, 12:01
Cheers Gman, I was about to post all that (but with less detail and much less informed).

This is sad news, but it's made me more motivated to try and see the great man some time, get to a Discworld Con or something. Maybe we should get a Warseer group outing organised for the next one or something.

Huw_Dawson
14-12-2007, 13:30
Shook me to the core when I heard this. The Discworld games got me into reading and adventure games, which in turn got me into fantasy in general, which in turn lead me into my present life. Those books were a HUGE aspect of my childhood, and they still are today.

With any luck, and all the money being put into Dementia in all its horrible forms at the moment, they might genuinely be able to find a cure in the next few years. Fingers crossed.

- Huw

Chaos and Evil
14-12-2007, 14:10
Someone in my family had the same illness... it's a horrible malady, and it really dings my badger that a genius like Prachett (Whose novels formed a decent part of my adolesencent reading) has developed it.

silence
14-12-2007, 20:22
I have had the honour to meet Terry Pratchett twice at book signings. The most memorable thing that he said was when asked him about why the Librarian was an orangutan, his reply was simply "the world could do with a few more Orangutan's". A very nice man who stood by his principles, are you aware that he asked TSR to attend a convention and was refused (early in his career) when TSR approached him years later to appear he refused them :)

RavenMorpheus
14-12-2007, 21:37
http://www.paulkidby.com/news/index.html

incredibly depressing news. I didn't know if this was already posted however I know many Warseers are avid Pratchett fans.

I wouldn't go so far as to say it's incredibly depressing - as TP was quoted as having said on the BBC website "I am not dead yet", or words to that effect.

Hopefully he'll continue to write books for many years to come, but everyone has to give up their careers at some point - we don't live forever ;)

TheBigBadWolf
14-12-2007, 21:49
Terrible news i love the carpet people.

I knew about the 'phantom' stroke he discovered he had some time ago (Terry wasn't aware he had had a stroke until a year after the event).

This is really depressing news.

It turns out my dad had a mini stroke 10 years ago when one of his eyes blacked out on the golf course, and he only found out he had one last month

Arnizipal
14-12-2007, 22:22
Sorry but thats very negative, whilst its a horrible condition and a horrible thing to happen to such a nice person remember that alzheimers can take many years to fully take hold.

Also consider that on average it can take longer the more mentally active you are (recent studies have shown direct correlations between the speed of loss/reduction of mental abilities to inactivity/undersuse of the brain, i.e. those poor old people dumped in homes infront of a TV and ignored forever lose it much quicker and go downhill than those that continue to read/study, meet and talk with people and be active etc).

Terry is not only a bright ole stick (and not that old I might add) but he's also very mentally active in comparison to a lot of people with all his book writing, travelling, converntions etc. This can have quite a positive effect on the time it takes to lose mental capacity to a noticeable level which should hopefully seem him in good stead for some time yet.

I'm just speaking from the experience when Alheimer hit my father's uncle.
The medication keeps the disease somewhat under control, but he suffers from wild moodswings and disorientation.

A terrible fate to befall a person, and even worse for his loved ones...

MrP
14-12-2007, 23:17
I'm just speaking from the experience when Alheimer hit my father's uncle.
The medication keeps the disease somewhat under control, but he suffers from wild moodswings and disorientation.

A terrible fate to befall a person, and even worse for his loved ones...

It varies from person to person. Rather like with AIDS, one can't say someone'll go down now or in a decade. Bloody shame, though. Agree about the disorientation - in part. Grandma had Parkinson's, and she had to go into a home eventually - Grandad had asthma, so when she got angry with him, thinking she was in her teens, and he was her father, and she stormed out of the house to go back home - which no longer existed, a motorway having been built, he could hardly follow. And we live a good 40 minutes' drive away.

Still, as the man says, he aten't dead yet!

SON OF LION
16-12-2007, 08:18
Damn huh.

This is one piece of fantasy that I knew quite a few non-fantasy people liked as well. If he stops then it would be a huge blow to fantasy-nonfantasy relations.

simplemindedfish
16-12-2007, 20:44
Come on, as he said on the website, he isn't dead yet. We should keep are chins up and await his next few books, they're bound to be the best.

Disposable Hero
17-12-2007, 14:33
Told him! Buggrit! Told him! Millenium Hand and Shrimp! Pfuuut!

RavenMorpheus
18-12-2007, 04:49
Told him! Buggrit! Told him! Millenium Hand and Shrimp! Pfuuut!

Heh, dried frog pills is all I'll say :D

I guess TP will be forever reffered to as the Bursar now :D

I really hope he doesn't degenerate (couldn't think of a better word) too quickly though, I'm in need of a good read and the last few Discworld books, while being a bit off the boil have still been pretty good compared to a lot of the stuff that's out there *cough* Harry *cough* Potter *cough*

Disposable Hero
18-12-2007, 08:21
The man is a genius.

Like another poster said, he is the only writer that has me re-reading his books again and again and again and again.

I even think that when he finally turns into the Bursar, he will still write awesome books.

Ethlorien
18-12-2007, 16:48
A terrible shame, to be sure.
If laughter is the best medicine, then he should do alright.

Dengar
18-12-2007, 18:14
Im lost for words really i hope things dont take effect to fast and my thoughts go out to him and his family but like other people have said dont write him off yet.

UltimateNagash
19-12-2007, 16:48
Damn...

Shame it seems to happen to great people alot, gone in their prime... :cries: