PDA

View Full Version : Whats your favourite star wars land battle?

Kargos Bloodspit
18-09-2005, 19:24
Well, I got SW: Battlefront yesterday, and i've been playing it a lot, and I was just wondering, what is your favourite land battle in star wars.

For me its got to be Hoth in Empire Strikes Back.

If you vote, i'd be grateful for comments on why its your favourite.

edit: sorry about the other thread.... I pressed the back button on my browser whilst filling in the poll to change the thread title, didn't know it'd submit a whole new one...

Xhalax
18-09-2005, 19:29
I enjoyed the Hoth battle the most coz I like AT-ATs and it was good to see them in action.

Kohhna
18-09-2005, 19:48
Seconded, Hoth was a great peice of cinema.

Lostanddamned
18-09-2005, 19:49
There was only 1 true land battle in Star Wars.
Endor was only a skirmish really, a few guerillas and a little local trouble...

And the other 3 (including kashyyyk in that) never happened as far as I care.

strv
18-09-2005, 20:21
'Geonosis' Whats that? One of the latest?
Naboooo was redicilus as a battle, big bullet shield and rolling energie balls. na its not good for me.
Hoth is where my vote goes, awsome battle, remembering playing that in Galactic Concues(bf42 mod). awsome to control th erbig walkers.
Endor is close second, I love ewoks.

starlight
18-09-2005, 20:24
Hoth was the best *battle*, but I voted Endor because the Speederbike scenes were tops of any individual scenes.

Kargos Bloodspit
18-09-2005, 20:40

The land battle that happens towards the end of AOTC. Granted, its only short scenes, so I doubt it'll be winning any votes. But we shall see.... it was the only true land battle the clones got in on. (then again, if you include the bit with the jedi battling inside the arena with all the droids its a fair bit longer...)

Talkie Toaster
18-09-2005, 20:42
The one in episode II, where you first see the Clones in action.
Hoth is definitely one of the best, but the Clone Wars armies are more interesting (even if Lucas suffered some kind of script-brain-haemmorhage[sp] for the prequels), so it gets my vote. The rebels are cool and all, but they aren't quite cut out for epic scale battles.

Kargos Bloodspit
18-09-2005, 20:45
The one in episode II, where you first see the Clones in action.
Hoth is definitely one of the best, but the Clone Wars armies are more interesting (even if Lucas suffered some kind of script-brain-haemmorhage[sp] for the prequels), so it gets my vote. The rebels are cool and all, but they aren't quite cut out for epic scale battles.

Yeah, im fairly disapointed the Clone's didn't get featured in more land battles... I think Lucas should allow someone to do a proper (non cartoon) Clone Wars series. Just to do the clones proper justice. Could also be cool to allow everyone to see all the big battles of the clone wars. Not just the ones in the clone wars that each was given a gimmick of some sort.... ( i mean jesus christ, a seismic tank????)

The pestilent 1
18-09-2005, 21:52
Endor is close second, I love ewoks.
and yet. people hate the gungans. :eyebrows:
best legion of storm troopers indeed.

to be honest dont like the ground battles all that much, but i guess hoth wins.

New Cult King
18-09-2005, 22:37
I voted Hoth. First time I saw those AT-ATs I nearly cried with joy :p

Freak Ona Leash
18-09-2005, 22:44
Geonosis. I regularly chat with the biggest clone fans in the world at TF.N (including Karen Traviss and Ryan Kaufmann) And this shows the Kiwis-er, clones kicking ****. I cant not like :D

Arnizipal
18-09-2005, 22:54
It's gotta be Hoth, but Genosis comes in as a close second.

Incidentally, these are both battles where Storm Troopers perform above average (this is, they win :D )

Tom
18-09-2005, 23:35
Hoth, with the bridgeworld Ki-Adi dies on being a brief if interesting second.

Delicious Soy
19-09-2005, 00:05
Hoth. By a country mile. Nothing beats the idea of the AT-ATs. Except maybe bringing down said AT-ATs with tow cables.

Tom
19-09-2005, 00:28
Plus, on Battlefront, it's so much fun it's rude.

Kargos Bloodspit
19-09-2005, 00:35
Hoth, with the bridgeworld Ki-Adi dies on being a brief if interesting second.

I did some research for you, its Mygeeto.
http://www.starwars.com/databank/location/mygeeto/index.html

yeah... managed to kill off all the rebel scum with ease, 150+ troops left....

I got one of the AT-AT's to destroy the shields, then stomp up to in front of the snowspeeder bay. Hella funny destroying all the rebels as they spawned :evilgrin:

Adept
19-09-2005, 00:37

True dat. Getting into one of those AT-ATs early in the battle pretty much seals the fate of the Rebellion.

On a related note: Republic Commando is a fantastic game, which starts on Geonosis and finishes on Kashyyk. The storyline ties in with the movies, but it's all seen through the eyes of the regular grunts, the Clone trooper Commandos. Extremely cool.

Outlaw289
19-09-2005, 02:19
I liked Hoth too, even if the AT-ATs were one of the most ridiculous weapon systems ever conceived. A Cambrai like tank assault would've been just as cool and more practical, but thats SW for you :-p

I'm also a fan of the later clone wars battles. Those CIS silver combat droids (with wrist blasters and wrist rockets) are awesome pieces of machinery.

Adept
19-09-2005, 03:19
I'm also a fan of the later clone wars battles. Those CIS silver combat droids (with wrist blasters and wrist rockets) are awesome pieces of machinery.

Ah yes, the imaginatively named Super Battle Droids...

Easy E
20-09-2005, 03:11
I love Star Wars, but watching the Land battles can be kind of painful.

On Geonosis, watching the "l33t" clone army practivally using civil war tactics. Uggg. The entire strategy was we run at each other and shoot! Dire.

Hoth was much better as it portrayed a defensive battle. The AT-AT's are cool, but totally impractical. I've seen the schematics of how troops disembark, and it's just unbelievable. It's gonna take the time to bow kneel down.

Naboo, again, we'll line up and march forward shooting. Clever.

Endor. When did the Ewoks build thos catapults?

Outlaw289
20-09-2005, 03:15
I agree with Easy. The battles are Starship trooper-esque rush a thons. Its like the soldiers were trained by Red Alert 1 instead of by a bootcamp

Kargos Bloodspit
20-09-2005, 09:58
The AT-AT's are cool, but totally impractical. I've seen the schematics of how troops disembark, and it's just unbelievable. It's gonna take the time to bow kneel down.

I think, the AT-At's are more in the spirit of the Empire. They dont really care about the practicalness of it. They believe they're far superior in any case. So they use larger, more impressive machines for Morale effects.

hairyman
20-09-2005, 10:49
Hoth, every time. No contest.

x-esiv-4c
20-09-2005, 14:43
Hoth by far.
AT-ATs, dying rebels, landspeeders...brilliant.

BorisGT
20-09-2005, 14:49
Hoth for sure. Don't see why anyone would pick anything else. Nothing can compare to the speeder runs on the AT-ATs. The prequel land battle was just pathetic in comparison.

I mean, there was no facial haired lad in the Hoth Gear yelling something like "Come on!" after they bag the first AT-AT.

Crube
20-09-2005, 14:51
Having endured all the Star Wars films, i have to vote Hoth... the only part of any of the films i actually enjoyed really...it was kinda cool

Sorry, just not really a Star Wars fan

Xhalax
20-09-2005, 16:24
In truth...it seems like a bit of an unfair match...at least in my mind.

The first two films weren't in the same league as the original trilogy and Hoth was the main big battle of Empire and was more impressive that Endor as there was more explosions and basically the bad guys were winning.

Although Endor was good. I felt the whole sequence was mostly focused on the Space Battle, which was faster paced, rather than the Ewoks smacking the Imperial Troops around.

Captain Brown
20-09-2005, 17:26
The battle on Hoth, still love watching it after all these years.

The Judge
23-09-2005, 17:38
Geonosis, just for the bits where the drop ships drops in people and walkers - stunning stuff. And the clone troopers that could hit were cool, especially when they hit the arena and BUST it.

EVIL INC
23-09-2005, 17:44
Had to go with Hoth myself. Always loved that. I must say that I still like the small skirmishes though. The battle at the Sarlac pit for example.

Tormentor of Slaanesh
23-09-2005, 19:52
hoth is quite visually impressive but the problem is the goodies loose.

Tom
23-09-2005, 20:28
You realise why TESB (and, conversely RotS) are considered the best in their respective trilogies, right? Because they're what Hollywood doesn't like to do, very dark films. TESB was probably the first sci-fi film where the good guys lost quite heavily.

Nazguire
24-09-2005, 08:30
You realise why TESB (and, conversely RotS) are considered the best in their respective trilogies, right? Because they're what Hollywood doesn't like to do, very dark films. TESB was probably the first sci-fi film where the good guys lost quite heavily.

Which is what appeals to the customer base. Which is why Revenge of the Sith was the most popular of the pre-quels. Because Star Wars is a dark sci-fi world. Not midnight black like 40k, but still pretty grim with the ray of hope being Jedi allowing that feeling of "everything will be all right, even though a planets worth of people were wiped out in the space of an hour"

Bmaxwell
24-09-2005, 17:07
Endor wasn't really a battle at all though i love the Hoth battle but for sheer Coolness I love the Genoisis battle to bad we didn't get to see to much of it

Bloodthirster90
24-09-2005, 18:05
i voted endor. the sheer cuteness of the Ewoks won it for me but, looking back, I should have voted hoth. It was just...just...AT-AT's! OMFG!

:0)
24-09-2005, 18:26
Endor: It had at-st's, at-at's, AND hangliding ewoks!

(Admittedly, there was only one at-at, and it only walked a short distance, but it was there.)

Nazguire
24-09-2005, 23:19
I voted Hoth. The fact that the Stormtroopers acted as elite troops, instead of suffering the 'dumb bad guy' syndrome that Lucas gave them for the survival sake of Luke, was a plus. The music from Williams created a forboding atmosphere, one that made you realise, these guy have no hope. The sight of the AT-AT's through the micronoculars made you go "Hmmm doesn't seem too hard" until you saw them up close...

And realised they were 20 meters tall...