PDA

View Full Version : games for a 4 year old girl

pookie
14-12-2007, 10:43
Hello

hoping some parents/gamers out there could help, my little girl will be 4 just after xmas, she often sits and 'plays' on my PS2 with me, but as all my games are for a more older gamer ( First person shooters etc ) she isnt able to play them and gets quite frustrated.

i recently got the New Simpsons game, but she still finds this a little tricky.

is there any games out there anyone could recommened for her that she would be able to play?

shes as bright as anyone could wish there child to be and picks things up really quickly ( eg she can move the characters around and understands how to jump etc on simpsons) but as i have no intrest in playing a 'kids' game im stuck on what to get her.

any suggestions?

Remoah
14-12-2007, 10:52
Dunno... there are some kiddy games out there. If you had a 360 i'd suggest Viva Piniata but otherwise i'd say she's too young, wait until she's 6 and can pick most of it up.

Dogma
14-12-2007, 13:35
I would go for something like crash bandicoot. i havent played the new ones but they are usually just straight forward platformers.

pookie
14-12-2007, 13:39
Dunno... there are some kiddy games out there. If you had a 360 i'd suggest Viva Piniata but otherwise i'd say she's too young, wait until she's 6 and can pick most of it up.

ah you try telling her that! lol,

reson im asking is she always wants to join in and play games with her Daddy, but cant because there just too hard for her,

Kaze
14-12-2007, 13:50
Maybe Singstar?

Every game that comes to mind is a bit complex for a 4 year old... stuff like Kingdom Hearts i believe is a bit demanding. Wasn't there a kart racing Crash Bandicoot around? I don't remember if it was available on the PS2... if it is, it might be entertaining for her.

Kohhna
14-12-2007, 14:21
If you can get anything that does a compilation of old 8-bit or 16 bit 2d games they would be a good way of starting her off, hell its how we all learned to play.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Capcom-Classic-Collection-PS2/dp/B000BLE99G/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1197646076&sr=1-1

or

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sega-Classics-collection-PS2/dp/B000ALM3TA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1197646143&sr=1-2

or

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Empire-Taito-Legends-PS2/dp/B00080FCTG/ref=pd_sim_vg_h_?ie=UTF8&qid=1197646143&sr=1-2

The last one has New Zealand Story and Bubble Bobble and all on it. If I'd a PS2 I'd probably get it myself for pure nostalgia

ghost hunter
14-12-2007, 14:40
As others have said singstar might be apropriate or maybe that high school musical sinanigans but apart from that my idea are wasted for now ill try think...

Off topic: kohnna that picture is more disturbing than your normal one

Xgladar
14-12-2007, 15:28
get her a wii.

shell love how you can actually move your body to play instead of pushing buttons

Kaze
14-12-2007, 15:32
get her a wii.

shell love how you can actually move your body to play instead of pushing buttons

It was the first option I thought (it definitly has adequate games for her age), but... I bet he won't like the Wiimote flying towards the TV...

Dirty Fingers
14-12-2007, 16:19
4 is really young, honestly. i picked up gaming when i was 5, and i remember that all my gaming amounted to was Duck Hunt and pressing B to throw fireballs when my dad got the flower in the original Mario Bros.

Maybe i was just retarded though. That being said, the old NES controller had an A and B button, a d-pad, and that was it unless you include the select and start buttons. a lot simpler than today's shoulder buttoned beasts.

That being said, Wii Sports and Wii Play would probably be ideal. motion control, simple concept, simple design. just make sure the wristband is on so the remote doesn't go flying.

oh yeah, and Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition is a must :D

The Orange
14-12-2007, 16:33
Have you tried Lego Star Wars? It's an exceptionally fun game that I play all the time with my younger brother (10 years old). The controls are nothing too complex, and the game play can suit both adults and kids. You can just goof off in the missions, or run straight through them blasting everything, or (like me) explore and find all the nifty hidden goodies, and preform the little mini games to discover even more stuff. It's extremely fun no matter your age, and if your daughter can handle the Simpson's game reasonably well, I think she'll be just fine with Lego Star Wars.

4 is really young, honestly. i picked up gaming when i was 5, and i remember that all my gaming amounted to was Duck Hunt and pressing B to throw fireballs when my dad got the flower in the original Mario Bros.

lol, I was exactly the same. Duck hunt FTW :p.

TheBigBadWolf
14-12-2007, 16:40
Games today are a bit complex you may want to consider getting a retro games package (like sega collection on ps2) or console, i started way back when i was like 5 when the original gameboy came out then a mastersystem. the games are easier to get into but are still fun.

Stella Cadente
14-12-2007, 17:05
get her a wii.
HA, good luck trying to find one this time of year

RavenMorpheus
14-12-2007, 21:25
Try the Barbie games if you can get them

talos935
15-12-2007, 02:38
You may have to got routing through some PS1 titles

Note I would avoid Crash Bandicoot 1, the save feature on it is terrible[ie hard to reach them]

Grazzy
15-12-2007, 18:10
4 is pretty young. I would try some of the fun driving games - my little sister can just about deal with simpsons hit and run.

Dirty Fingers
16-12-2007, 17:08
HA, good luck trying to find one this time of year

point, i'm in a small town and the local comic and games store dude sold out of Wiis 3 weeks ago and just told me Nintendo emailed him and told him he wouldn't be getting anymore until 2008 :eyebrows:

CaptainSenioris
16-12-2007, 17:26
How about a DS and nintendogs? Unless she's more of a free roaming platform fan...

Bretonnian Lord
16-12-2007, 17:26
Get her Gears of War and Grand Theft Auto :evilgrin:

Nah lol... I'd say buy like an N-64 off of e-bay (You can probably get them really cheap) and get her some of those classic games... like Super Mario 64, Donkey Kong 64, Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time and Majora's mask...

pookie
18-12-2007, 08:33
Maybe Singstar?

Love her to Bitz but i dont think i could cope with her singing for long periods at a time! ( she wakes up smiles then talks non stop till end of day, she's full of beans, as the saying goes! )

If you can get anything that does a compilation of old 8-bit or 16 bit 2d games they would be a good way of starting her off, hell its how we all learned to play.

The last one has New Zealand Story and Bubble Bobble and all on it. If I'd a PS2 I'd probably get it myself for pure nostalgia

thats a good point, a few people have said this, this could be the way forward! Oh and i have Bubble Bobble on my phone, play it often whilst sat at work ;)

get her a wii.

i'd have more chance of getting rocking horse poo ;) - plus her cousins are getting one, so she can play on thiers.

It was the first option I thought (it definitly has adequate games for her age), but... I bet he won't like the Wiimote flying towards the TV...

lol, thats so true, but it'd be an excuse to upgrade it! :D

Have you tried Lego Star Wars? It's an exceptionally fun game that I play all the time with my younger brother (10 years old). The controls are nothing too complex, and the game play can suit both adults and kids. You can just goof off in the missions, or run straight through them blasting everything, or (like me) explore and find all the nifty hidden goodies, and preform the little mini games to discover even more stuff. It's extremely fun no matter your age, and if your daughter can handle the Simpson's game reasonably well, I think she'll be just fine with Lego Star Wars.

her cousins have this, so might borrow it and see, ta

How about a DS and nintendogs? Unless she's more of a free roaming platform fan...

there not very good for little ones, she already broke one :cries:

Thanks for the help i now have 'food' for thought.

BrianC
18-12-2007, 08:43
Having been through this with my daughter a lot of gaming hangs off how well she can read if you want her to do solo stuff.

Mine started gaming at about 18 months old but that was hitting the bongos almost in time on Donkey Konga. She found the Barbie and Disney Princess games on the PC far far easier to play, I'd go for those if you can find them.

Lego Star Wars is excellent, mostly because it doesn't punish you for dying (which they will do a lot) and the co-op means you can do all the hard stuff. There aren't too many co-op games aimed at girls unfortunately. Viva Piņata you can play using two controllers at once.

The Wii is head and shoulders better than the other consoles for "kids" games, a worth while investment IMO.

Now she is six she can play a much wider selection of games, she likes My Sims, DDR and Guitar Hero, but I have to do the notes for her while she strums.

Patriarch
31-12-2007, 14:22
My 4 year old daughter loved Dora the Explorer - Journey to the Purple Planet (no, really!) on the PS2. It's all moving Dora around, and jumping, then the occasional (easy) puzzle to get to the next bit. It's not frenetic or anything, there's no time limit, you don't "die" - imagine how traumatic that would be if Dora bit the dust...!

floyd pinkerton
31-12-2007, 18:25
Bioshock?:D I know that freaked me out...

maybe like point-and-click disney games? they're what got my sister into gaming

floyd pinkerton
31-12-2007, 18:34
oh, and peggle, by pop cap

you can download a demo for free

its very addictive