PDA

View Full Version : Best light saber duel

The Dragon Reborn
18-09-2005, 21:26
After seeing the best land battle thread I wanted to know everyones favorite duel

I know there are a few missing but I think these are the ones that will get votes

I voted for episode 6 Luke vs vader but it was such a hard choice ep 5 and 3 were very very close seconds

starlight
18-09-2005, 21:36
It was the second showing on the first day Ep2 was released.

Yoda walked onscreen for the Duku duel and the entire theatre exploded in cheers.

No contest, Yoda rules!

The pestilent 1
18-09-2005, 21:48
Obi-wan VS Anakin.
beutiful :cries:
higlight of the film, that, and jedi massacres.

Asher
18-09-2005, 21:55
...highlight of the film...

Which really doesn't mean anything.

Torn betwenn Luke vs. Vader 1 and 2.

CELS
18-09-2005, 21:56
Nah, it was Episode 6. I just love the music when Luke goes mental to save Leia. The other duels were amazing technically, but looking at Luke just losing it and sort of giving in to the dark side actually, with that heavenly music.... man oh man.

The Dragon Reborn
18-09-2005, 22:09
Nah, it was Episode 6. I just love the music when Luke goes mental to save Leia. The other duels were amazing technically, but looking at Luke just losing it and sort of giving in to the dark side actually, with that heavenly music.... man oh man.

I agree when luke looses it, oh man

and the I am a jedi like my father before me part, ah gives me goose pimples every time

Delicious Soy
18-09-2005, 23:57
I'm going with Vader vs Luke in Empire. A proper duel, complete with word play and contempt, not just flashy acrobatics. Vader plays with him the whole duel, until Luke hits him, then he finishes it.

"The force is with you young Skywalker, but you are not a Jedi yet."

Strikerkc
19-09-2005, 00:04
Luke/Vader:6

More enjoyable to me than the others.

Kargos Bloodspit
19-09-2005, 00:54
Anakin/Obi, part from the end bit "omg, i have higher ground!", it was great.

and to be honest, I expected all these spin-off threads. Just please, dont take it too far.

strick9
19-09-2005, 02:32
obi-wan vs. anikin, you acctually get to see what happens when jedi clash.
yoda, god bless him, but he just couldn't seal the deal in any of his fight
and luke never had enough training to put on that good of a show.
i hate to say that anything from the latest three are better than the first but hands down obi-wan vs. anikin

Kittah
19-09-2005, 04:49
I prefer seeing Dooku executed in Episode 3, myself. Despite how crappy that film was everywhere else, that bit was pretty damn cool.

Slappy
19-09-2005, 06:34
Why would anyone vote for that crappy lava surfing duel?

It looked so fake and retarded....ughhhh.

ironduke
19-09-2005, 08:09
Episode 3 obi-wan vs anakin all the way. The bits before the lava. Its just so iconic. Light versus dark, anger versus calm and the cherography...beautiful.
Second favourite episode 1.

lord_fenric
19-09-2005, 09:16
Luke V's Vader in ep 6. After the phantom menace all of the sabre fights were the same. Yes they were cool but all they were was people whipping lightsabres at each other, there was no depth behind them. Whilst the sabre fights in 5 and 6 weren't technically that exciting its everything happening to the characters outside the physical combat which majes them great. The tension that builds between luke and vader in 6 is fantastic.

hairyman
19-09-2005, 09:34
Totally agree with Lord Fenric. It might not have had the most somersaults or crazy special effects, but for sheer dramatic weight it's got to be vader vs luke in ep6.

"If you will not turn to the dark side, then perhaps she will"

"NOOOOOOO!!!!"

Ace. :cool: :D

Icewalker
19-09-2005, 10:25
YOda and Sidious. Why? Cause they absolutly thrash the senate. That and cause Yoda is just so badass.

Wolflord Bloodangel
19-09-2005, 11:42
None of the above.
The scene where General Grievous takes apart five jedi in the ruins of a crashed Star Destroyer in the Clone Wars wins hands down. So much kick ****, so much style.

Snoozer
19-09-2005, 12:21
Vader vs luke ep 6, that is the reason ep6 is my favorite ep.

That and Ewoks (I was pretty young when I saw it the first time).

:D

Gaebriel
19-09-2005, 12:36
Nothing beats two black clad guys, in front of a black background, illuminated by their Lightsabers...

So it's Episode *shudders* Six for me...

Scanno
19-09-2005, 15:06
I'm glad lord_fenric pointed out that the sabre fights in ep 5&6 weren't technically as good. In 6, Vader was actually the british fencing champion in the suit for that fight, Luke was... Mark Hammill(sp?). His lack of skill in the swordfight is amazing. They wouldn't let him away with it if they did it now. Other than that the ep 6 is cool, but I chose ep1 cos Ray Park is a legend.

Wraith
19-09-2005, 17:41
I really can't decide, I'd need to see them all again, my favourite film star wars film is 'revenge of the sith' that's for sure.

I do really like ep1's 'Maul vs Obi and Qui-gon' duel, how anyone can suggest any duel from the original trilogy could match that fight is beyond me...

Why has the duel between Obi-wan and Grevious been left out? I suppose it wasn't *that* long though...

CELS
19-09-2005, 17:52
I seem to remember from the LotR DVDs that the guy that set up the duels in Star Wars Episode 4-6 was the same guy that choreographed (sp?) the sword fights in LotR. I found it a bit strange, but I think he was a kendo expert, so that explains the simple style. Jedi are very similar to samurai, after all, so I can see why Lucas wanted simple kendo-style duels.

The duels in Episode 1-3 are awesome, but obviously extremely unrealistic.

strv
19-09-2005, 18:09
I like the simpel duels, and I think it looks to much when they start to do backflips and stuff like that. Not the smartes thing to do if your openent stands there with good reflexes and a light saber, and you loop around in the air making yourself defensless in a few milisecs.

Wraith
19-09-2005, 18:26
Normally I'd agree but I view it that they are using 'the force' to help them perform the flips and also using 'the force' to predict they can can get away with doing a flip at that point in a duel.

Scythe
19-09-2005, 18:35
Im not going to compare the duels in the first trilogy with the newer ones. The time periods in which those movies were made are just too different.

That said, I quite like the Luke/Vader duel from ep V. Not in the smallest part for the great claustofobic envoirnement and the way Vader played with Luke.

I dont really have a favorite of the newer movies. They were all nicely set up, and all had some interesting background. If I had too pick one, Id say Anakin vs Obi-Wan, just for the added emotion to that fight.

Scabby
19-09-2005, 18:53
OB1/Qui-gon/Maul fight was the best. Epic visuals, epic choir backup, excellent choreography, and two dudes die! Special FX rule the first 3 episodes but the choreography with maul's light "staff" is just fantastic. Doesn't hurt that the guy was an expert.

Props to any Yoda fight and the arm bars in episode 3 fights.

Tormentor of Slaanesh
19-09-2005, 21:01
definatly the episode 5 one, nobody dies and its all forcy...

The Dragon Reborn
19-09-2005, 22:03
I
Why has the duel between Obi-wan and Grevious been left out? I suppose it wasn't *that* long though...

I didnt really think it would get any votes, but hey I might have forgot but I would never admit to that...

athamas
19-09-2005, 22:16
Maul vs Obi and Qui-gon

thatwas proper fighting.. none of this poncy shouting and power using, just pure saber fighting!

excelent!

Wiseman
20-09-2005, 00:47
anakin verse obi and luke verse vader (the big, Im a jedi like my father before me duel) were both awesome, though the later is my choice, it just had everything needed of a good sword fight

Easy E
20-09-2005, 03:18
Episode 5 where Vader takes on look one handed, while Luke is using everyhting he's got. It's so contemptuous, so Evil. Then after Vader has completely humiliated Luke he drops the bomb on him! Classic!

:0)
20-09-2005, 04:59
I voted for the Maul vs. Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon battle.

Double-ended lightsaber = win!

Inquisitor Engel
20-09-2005, 05:03
Yoda VS Sideous in Episode III for me. It's simply a stunning, stunning battle, and the simple desperation of the battle was just awesome.

Other than that, Luke VS Vader in Empire.

Tyranix
20-09-2005, 05:34
None of the above.
The scene where General Grievous takes apart five jedi in the ruins of a crashed Star Destroyer in the Clone Wars wins hands down. So much kick ****, so much style.

I SO second that!

AngelofSorrow
20-09-2005, 05:35
if u guys look back i made a thread about this a while back but i didnt poll it

Hands down the best one is Obi-wan qui-gon vs Darth maul.
Its a great fight scene the double saber is awesome. The emotion is pretty intense especially after Qui-Gon dies. The music is just stunning
Overall it beats every other battle no contest

Shadowheart
20-09-2005, 06:01
Vader versus Luke in Empire. Vader is the cold, methodical villain he's been throughout the movie and you know Luke's bitten off more than he can chew. It's not an exhilarating battle like the one in Jedi where Luke and Vader are evenly matched. It's got some nice fighting, but the main thing is the dialogue and the story unfolding. It's the pivotal scene of the trilogy, the moment Luke's confronted with his problem (his destiny if you like) and the moment he decides what he's going to do about it.

The prequel trilogy in general had preciously little to say, and the battles were just eye candy that didn't drive the plot anywhere. I didn't like them for the same reason I don't like martial arts movies, it feels utterly pointless. It looks slick but I much prefer two actors who pretend to be fighting eachother, even if their fighting moves aren't the best.
That said I very much enjoy the Darth Maul battle, pity they killed off both the best actor and villain of the trilogy in the first movie. And used the best piece of music. All the other duels of the prequels paled in comparison.

Nazguire
20-09-2005, 10:55
I vote the Empire duel between Darth Vader and Luke. Vader comes across as cold, ruthless, mechanical, while Luke comes across as hot-headed, naieve and underestimating Vader. Vader toys with him, any injuries he sustains is purely because he isn't taking Luke seriously, because Luke isn't skilled enough to even think about taking on Vader.

Then the 'I am your father line' sealed the deal.

The emotion is top notch, a real duel of hate, not flashy sword effects.

Second favourite is Anakin vs. Obi-wan, especially the "You were meant to destroy the Sith, not JOIN THEM" so much sorrow and regret in Obi-wan's voice.

Captain Brown
20-09-2005, 15:35
I loved the duel in Episode One, combination of music and action...even if the swinging power conduits were a little farcical.

The Dragon Reborn
20-09-2005, 16:04
crazy I was sure episode one would landslide it, even though its clearly not the best ( go ep 6)

thats cool that there is such and evenish spread

I guess they all did rock I still love ep 4 obi and vader you can just feel the contempt vader has for obi

Wraith
20-09-2005, 17:30
Hands down the best one is Obi-wan qui-gon vs Darth maul.
Its a great fight scene the double saber is awesome. The emotion is pretty intense especially after Qui-Gon dies. The music is just stunning
Overall it beats every other battle no contest

It is indeed true John Williams' 'Duel of the Fates' score really is stunning in combination with the lightsaber sounds.

I'm suprised so few people have mentioned it, I'm even more suprised the Obi-wan Qui-gon vs Darth maul duel is ahead with such a small lead.

boogle
21-09-2005, 02:50
I marked out like a bitch whan Yoda pulled out his Lightsaber, but i enjoyed Luke vs Vader (Jedi) more for the emotions

I did also enjoy Episode 1's Duel but Mauls crappy death spoilt it for me

The Dragon Reborn
21-09-2005, 03:57
duel of the fates also plays in Ep 3, that is the best song to do anything to, like cooking, skiing, eating, walking, sewing anything and you just feel so bad-A and coool

But in reality if anyone knew I had a star wars song playing on my ipod they would think me a nerd and uncool, what kind of world is this>??

Wiseman
21-09-2005, 06:22
its alrit dragon reborn we dont think any of different of you :)

Nazguire
21-09-2005, 06:38
duel of the fates also plays in Ep 3, that is the best song to do anything to, like cooking, skiing, eating, walking, sewing anything and you just feel so bad-A and coool

But in reality if anyone knew I had a star wars song playing on my ipod they would think me a nerd and uncool, what kind of world is this>??

That's why you say it is a John Williams composition, instead of 'Star Wars Song' Amazing what people's reactions are if they don't know any better :D

The Dragon Reborn
21-09-2005, 22:09
true story, then they think i am smart cause I listen to a syphone (sp) and not a nerd w00t! good thinking but from my vocabulary i am obusously not smart oh well

The pestilent 1
21-09-2005, 22:11

i have the soundtrack to Transformers the movie on my Ipod ;)
admitedly its way cool, and everyone loves it until you tell them what it is (screw em i say, they can be as hypocritical as they want)

speaking of which, must find Duel of the fates myself, now that i know what its called.

The Dragon Reborn
21-09-2005, 22:19
weird al sings one of the songs!

yes I have it also :(

I also wear a trasnformers hat when I ski (though I rarley wear any hats since I love the cold wind), one side has the autobot symbol the other has the decepticons, wow I almost said predicons, been watching to many beast wars dvds

The pestilent 1
21-09-2005, 22:20
damn no money.
i want to nearly say Predacon because ive been watching Beast wars too much :(

anyone know where i can get Duel of the fates by-the-by?
i cant find it anywhere! (by anywhere, i mean a cursery glance at five pages of results on google)

The Dragon Reborn
22-09-2005, 03:40
on the episode one soundtrack

Alco Engineer
22-09-2005, 03:54
been watching to many beast wars dvds

Awesome! I didn't realise that They'd put it on Dvd. (I should have looked harder at the cartoons or boxed sets) Any idea where I should start looking?

The Dragon Reborn
22-09-2005, 04:56
suncoast? its in my mall haha no idea other than that

3rd season just came out a few months ago like 9ish haha and thats all of them