PDA

View Full Version : The brilliance of Babylon 5

TheBigBadWolf
14-12-2007, 23:03
Well i got the universe box set for my birthday last year and i am now on my third watching of the entire series (only seen crusade through once didnt like it to much), and i have to say without a doubt it is the best sci fi series ever, it encompasses so many ideas, plots, subplots, it wasnt your star trek style with individual episodes, if you missed a few episodes of b5 you were missing the story. The five year arc was brilliant, i dont know why everyone complains about season 5 i though it was even compared to the rest. My favourite story line has to be how Sinclair is Valen and has to travel back in time on b4, then his dna entes the membari so that they are now partly human. (when you think about how that story unfolded as a minor part in the first series to a major episode in the 4th it was genious).

Just wondering if we've got any b5 die hards out there, and what their favourite character, story arc, etc was.

One other thing i kinda liked the lost tales, if you treat it as just two random episodes that they used to place into the series they ar quite good, and i could see the sheridan one developing.

Wraithbored
14-12-2007, 23:08
Yo I am a big fan of B5, and I have to say one of my fauvorites is the relationship between Mollari and G'kar. Great actors and the entire cornucopia of things they lead the audience through is just amazing. But that's just one of many things I liked. I also loved B5 the lost tales, and hope many more will be released.

TheBigBadWolf
14-12-2007, 23:13
The Londo Gkar relationship is great, one of the best parts is where they are trapped in a lift and Gkar refuses to help him

devolutionary
14-12-2007, 23:13
Best television series ever in my books. The new Battlestar Galactica series comes fairly close though, with the same inter-season arcs and nicely woven stories.

chromedog
14-12-2007, 23:18
I'm a fan of B5, though I only have seasons 2-4 on disc (got it all on VHS, though). I didn't like Crusade enough to continue watching it when it was aired, let alone justify the dvds taking up precious space on my bookshelf :D Legend of the Rangers was also rather dire - and Lost Tales hasn't been released here yet, but I've heard a mixture of things about it, so I'll give it a watch.

I quite like Londo. Started out as a drunkard and a braggart, and matured, like a fine smelly cheese. The interplay between him and G'kar was also well written.

TheBigBadWolf
14-12-2007, 23:22
Started out as a drunkard and a braggart, and matured, like a fine smelly cheese

That would be like a fine Spoo;)

The pestilent 1
14-12-2007, 23:27
Err.
DS9 and Enterprise had season (And series) spanning story arcs.
Course, people were bitching too much too notice with Enterprise (which does adequately explain every "inconstancy")

then again, I just don't really like Babylon 5.

Except those few episodes that climaxed the Shadow / vorlon war.

theunwantedbeing
15-12-2007, 00:31
Yep Babylon 5 was brilliant.

der_lex
15-12-2007, 06:47
Agreed. As far as sci fi goes, it's right there at the top with DS9, Firefly and the new Battlestar Galactica series. Straczynski's writing delves a bit too deeply into hammy speeches at times, but overall the series is absolutely fantastic.

As far as favorite characters are concerned... Londo and G'Kar, obviously, but I've always also really liked Ivanova... the queen of intimidation :D

Wintermute
15-12-2007, 08:52
Err.
Course, people were bitching too much too notice with Enterprise (which does adequately explain every "inconstancy")

then again, I just don't really like Babylon 5.

Except those few episodes that climaxed the Shadow / vorlon war.

Coincidentally :rolleyes: Paramount started working on DS9 after JMS pitched B5 to them and they rejected it. Funny that (BTW this is according to JMS himself). And Enterprise should never have been made - it was dire.

Yes I'm a big fan of B5 (and DS9) and watched both when they were originally screened in the UK.

The only B5 shows I don't have on dvd yet are The Legend of the Rangers: To Live and Die in Starlight (because its poor) and the original broadcast version of the B5 pilot The Gathering which has never been released on dvd in the UK, it was only released vhs tape. (The pilot on dvd is the re-edited one which also has a new soundtrack).

The B5 Crusade box set is worth getting for JMS's commentary when he explains where the show was really heading. The Drakh plague story was just as excuse to get the show made, it was not going to be the main story for all five years of the show. Remember also TNT, who made the show, insisted JMS change the show and this is why it effectively has two pilot episodes. They interfered so much they even insisted in the costumes being changed (the uniform change half way through the show - the second half of the series are the first batch of episodes made).

Its a shame B5: Crusade was cancelled becasue we have yet to see Galen use his full destructive powers, which are detailed in the B5 novels and they are truly awesome.

On the subject of B5 dvds the UK was short changed. The US B5 dvd film set includes all five films which have been remastered with new commentaries and extras, the UK set only has the latter three films. So if you can get the US set - its Region 0 :D

salty
15-12-2007, 11:32
Hey! Enterprise wasn't as bad as everyone made out. That said, I don't think B5 is deserving of the "Best Sci-Fi" accolade. Battlestar Galactica (the re-imagining) and Joss Whedon's Firefly are both right up there as challengers.

The thing that really bugged me with B5 was the fact that I decided to watch it recently, having already seen Firefly, BSG, Enterprise et al and enjoyed them immensely. Then I went and watched B5 and, despite what are undoubtedly well written and thought out storylines, I could not get past the God-awful special effects. It just kinda ruined it for me.

Salty :)

Kahadras
15-12-2007, 12:09
could not get past the God-awful special effects. It just kinda ruined it for me.

Well they were running on a shoe string budget compared to stuff like Star Trek. I remember the set design crew getting praise for exactly how much they managed to wring out of the money they had for props and sets etc. OK BSG is good and everything but they probably had more money for the first season of BSG than B5 had for the first 4.

Kahadras

Kohhna
15-12-2007, 12:28
The effects on B5 were absolutely immense at the time, the CGI stuff was lightyears ahead of what the Star Trek team or anyone else where doing, without B5 we simply wouldn't have the sort of FX we see on BSG/Firelfly etc. today.

I loved B5, It has a special place in my heart as one of the first Sci-Fi things I really got into. My favourite character was Delenn, at least until she got hair, and the whole G'Kar/Londo relationship rocked. I really liked the whole Psi-Corps story arc, Bester is up there with Morden as the best recurring baddies on TV ever. I actually got the Lost Tales DVD back in September, and it absolutely stank. Really, I would advise any other B5 fans out there to give it a wide bearth it'll just remind you of some of the negative and slightly crap bits of the show, the stuff you've been able to gloss over since you saw it yourself.

Finnigan2004
15-12-2007, 12:41
Best. Series. Ever. In my opinion, no other series has ever developed a universe so thoroughly, or encompassed such a massive story arc. On a side note-- where were you guys when I posted my poll on the best starship captain ever? It was embarassingly won by some guy who can't think for himself beyond quoting the prime directive and telling his crew to run a level four diagnostic.

Kohhna
15-12-2007, 12:42
hey, TNG didn't have the awsomeness of Sheridan and Sinclair splitting the vote.

Mad Doc Grotsnik
15-12-2007, 12:54
Babylon 5 is easily one of the most mature Sci-Fi series I have ever had the pleasure of watching.

For all that it had a bold story arc (I mean, 5 years planned out...mental!) it managed to avoid alienating the casual viewer, as each Episode had enough stand alone elements, something which sadly the X-Files lost in it's 3rd of 4th Season.

And Lost Tales is a fantastic watch. Bit odd, but brilliant all the same. More please!

Wintermute
15-12-2007, 13:12
Hey! Enterprise wasn't as bad as everyone made out.

Yes it was.

If it had been if it wasn't a Star Trek show it would have been cancelled much sooner than it was due to very poor and dwindling viewing figures.

That said, I don't think B5 is deserving of the "Best Sci-Fi" accolade. Battlestar Galactica (the re-imagining) and Joss Whedon's Firefly are both right up there as challengers.

If it wasn't for JMS convincing the studios back in 1993 that the viewing public would watch a SF show which was serial in nature and with an ongoing story, I very much doubt if BSG would have been made.

I could not get past the God-awful special effects. It just kinda ruined it for me.

As already mentioned, B5 was made on a tight budget (fact the show never went over budget once). It was one of the first shows to make extensive use of CG for its effects and for the time the shows were made, they were oustanding.

DS9 didn't start using CG for its space/starship effects until its 4th/5th Season and guess who produced them? Foundation Imaging who produced the CG for the first four seasons of B5.

TheBigBadWolf
15-12-2007, 15:52
If it wasn't for JMS convincing the studios back in 1993 that the viewing public would watch a SF show which was serial in nature and with an ongoing story, I very much doubt if BSG would have been made

when the season 4 endgame episode screened in the UK it beat the big soap operas in the ratings, now that is an achievment for a sci-fi

Cade
15-12-2007, 16:38
It was such a shame that the network ruined it.

At the end of season 3, ratings were dipping and the network said that they were going to cancel the show after season 4.
So they had to re-write the storyline to compress the 2 season-long Shadow War into one season.
Of course, season 4 was go good that the ratings were huge and mid-way into the season, the network said they wanted to do the 5th season after all.
That's why season 5 is a bit of a letdown. It was written very quickly and rushed into production.

Imagine how good B5 would have been if seasons 4 and 5 had been left to run as the writers wanted.......!!!

Wintermute
15-12-2007, 16:58
Imagine how good B5 would have been if seasons 4 and 5 had been left to run as the writers wanted.......!!!

According to JMS it was.

However, according to some sources (SFX Magazine, whom JMS fell out with big style) alleged War Without End (parts 1 and 2) were originally intended to be the stories which ended the series.

I find it odd that viewing figure were dropping during the third season because its this season which contains the best episodes eg War Without End and the superb Severed Dreams.

They were always unsure if the show would be renewed though and this is why Sleeping In Light, the last episode to be screened, was made during Season 4, If show was not renewed for a fifth season, the last episode was ready.

However, Season 5 was produced by TNT, not Warner Brothers. One result of this was the shooting schedule for each episode was reduced by day and this, no-doubt, had an effect on the production of the show.

Icarus
15-12-2007, 17:42
Absolutely love B5, I still dig it out regularly. It had a few niggling problems but these were easily outweighed by some truly brilliant story-telling. Its the earliest show as far as im aware to have a story of that magnitude to tell and it was really well done. The 2nd half of the 3rd and the 4th season is pure joy to watch, although the whole thing was pretty darned good. My favorite episode has to be Z'Ha'Dhum, I literally must have watched it over 20 times. Such a good cliffhanger (no pun intended).

I wont talk about all the things I loved about the show cos it will just be gushing about stuff, but I think the G'kar/Londo and Marcus/Ivanova relationships were just incredibly well done, those were real highlights for me.

On the 5th season: yeah ok it was maybe lacking the punch of the previous one, but thats because it would be hard to beat. Even if it was shoehorned in they did pretty well because there were so many good storylines still to pick up on (there STILL are!). I think the main problem was the loss of Ivanova from the cast, Lochley just couldn't really compare as a character. Still, it gave us the Telepath storyline, which was very cool, and the Fall of Centauri Prime, which still gives me goosebumps when I watch it.

A Straczynski's writing delves a bit too deeply into hammy speeches at times, but overall the series is absolutely fantastic.

He certainly goes into speeches a lot, but I think most of them are really good. I mean...

"Who am I? I am Susan Ivanova. Commander. Daughter of Andrei and Sophie Ivanova. I am the right hand of vengeance, and the boot that is going to kick your sorry ass all the way back to Earth, sweetheart! I am Death Incarnate, and the last living thing that you are ever going to see. GOD SENT ME!

Gotta love that :evilgrin:

Its a shame B5: Crusade was cancelled becasue we have yet to see Galen use his full destructive powers, which are detailed in the B5 novels and they are truly awesome.

Not long after Crusade was canceled some of the unaired scripts were released and they were quite frankly, brilliant. Involved a cool arc concerning the black ship that Gideon kept having flashbacks about and led up to a great conclusion where you found out where the technomages really got all their abilites from. Was damn cool. Such a shame it never got made.

Wintermute
15-12-2007, 17:47
Not long after Crusade was canceled some of the unaired scripts were released and they were quite frankly, brilliant. Involved a cool arc concerning the black ship that Gideon kept having flashbacks about and led up to a great conclusion where you found out where the technomages really got all their abilites from. Was damn cool. Such a shame it never got made.

Err, those scripts were never officially released. The source of the Technomage's power and the reason behind their creation was detailed in the Technomage trilogy of novels - its not in the Crusade scripts.

Icarus
15-12-2007, 17:54
I dont think it was an official release of them, these were scans of some of the pages that got put up on the internet not long after the show was canceled. Unmistakably JMS's work though. It also had the same premise as the Technomage trilogy came out with much later.

TheBigBadWolf
15-12-2007, 19:04
Season 5 was good there were so many other things that they could have expanded on like the relationship between sheridan and lockley, that was kinda abandoned. But it did have great story lines like the telepath thing and the fall of centauri prime with the former probably going to be a big part in a future installment of the lost tales as JMS has stated he would like to do the telepath wars and the season 5 arc was the precurser to it

Wintermute
15-12-2007, 19:14
Season 5 was good there were so many other things that they could have expanded on like the relationship between sheridan and lockley, that was kinda abandoned. But it did have great story lines like the telepath thing and the fall of centauri prime with the former probably going to be a big part in a future installment of the lost tales as JMS has stated he would like to do the telepath wars and the season 5 arc was the precurser to it

The Sheridan/Lochley thing was a last minute thing because Ivanova should have been running the station, but because of problems negotiating Cladia Christian's contract, she didn't do Season 5.

The Fall of Centauri Prime is touched upon in the Centauri Prime trilogy of novels.

The Telepath War, JMS always skirts around this, Its referred to (and an incident shown) in Crusade and its referred to in the Psi-Corp Trilogy which also details the history of the Psi-Corp from its inception to the ...

...ultimate fate of Alfred Bester.

emperorpenguin
15-12-2007, 20:25
Babylon 5 was indeed a fantastic show. Londo and G'Kar were easily the best characters, with incredible performances and chemistry from Peter Jurasik and the late Andreas Katsulas respectively.

The Vorlons were also, for me, the best concept of a truly alien race I'd yet seen in sci-fi.

Kohhna
15-12-2007, 21:05
According to JMS it was.

However, according to some sources (SFX Magazine, whom JMS fell out with big style) alleged War Without End (parts 1 and 2) were originally intended to be the stories which ended the series.
Woooh! Sounds juicy. I used to read SFX all through that period, I don't remember hearing about JMS falling out with them. Any details wou'd like to share with us big lad?

Personally, having read the SFX article Wintermute is referring to, I would concurr with most of their analysis, it certainly explains the whole Sinclair's hair going grey thing.

As for Enterprise, it sucked, except for the last serise which managed to turn the whole thing around magnificently, but alas too late. I was sorry to see it getting cancelled just as it got good, but frankly it was a miracle it lasted beyond season 2 and if it had been as good as the last season from the start (or even from the second serise, allowing for the enevitable shaky early season finding-its-feet) it would have lasted.

cpl_hicks
15-12-2007, 22:41
I loved B5, the best story ark was the Earth Civil War, i dont know what it is but civil wars just do it for me :D

Hellebore
15-12-2007, 22:54
From what I understood of the original story, JMS was going to have Sinclair run the entire story, and then in the last 2 episodes it would be revealed that he was valen.

Thus war without end, not only having to fight THIS shadow war, but the one 1000 years ago as well. Oh the bittersweet parting between him and delenn...

Suffice to say no other sci fi series has done it for me before or since. I started watching it on tv at the age of 12 with my dad. It was mysterious, intelligent and much cooler than the dry fare I was watching in star trek.

I would very much like to see it get picked up again for a new series, and hopefully if the lost tales does well that could happen.

As much as I like BSG, I found it too laborious. Season 3 also seemed to be mostly filler episodes, and I completely lost interest until the last few episodes.

Hellebore

Icarus
15-12-2007, 23:03
I would very much like to see it get picked up again for a new series, and hopefully if the lost tales does well that could happen.

I'd like to see that too, but I have to say my high hopes for Lost Tales were crushed. It was really quite poor, basically 2 short episodes which both didn't really go anywhere. Lost tales should be following up on unfinished storylines, not creating weak new ones.

As much as I like BSG, I found it too laborious. Season 3 also seemed to be mostly filler episodes, and I completely lost interest until the last few episodes.

I found that with Series 2 and 3. In both cases the first half of the season was awesome, then it lagged a bit for a few episodes without much happening, and then the last few episodes were fantastic!

salty
15-12-2007, 23:42
I'm not trying to denigrate the B5 guys for the special effects (produced as they were on something akin to an Atari...).

The point I was making was that I only really tried to watch them very recently, having already seen Firefly, Enterprise, BSG etc etc. Going from watching those shows to watching B5 was a bit of a comedown and it threw me.

Salty :)

Wraithbored
16-12-2007, 01:15
I was really disappointed that Katsulas passed away. He really gave G'kar an incredible depth.

Hellebore
16-12-2007, 01:35
G'Kar's journey was one the finest pieces of writing I've ever seen and Andreas Katsulas' performance was superb.

With him and Biggs gone, there aren't many B5 main cast left...:(

Hellebore

Kohhna
16-12-2007, 11:41
With respect to Stephen Biggs, Um (how can I put this nicely....) I wouldn't have considered his character to be entirely neccessary for a future Babylon 5 project.

Wintermute
16-12-2007, 12:15
With respect to Stephen Biggs, Um (how can I put this nicely....) I wouldn't have considered his character to be entirely neccessary for a future Babylon 5 project.

B5 can continue without Dr Franklin and G'Kar. JMS has already stated he would not entertain the parts being played by any other actors.

Thanatos_elNyx
16-12-2007, 12:21
Babylon 5 was indeed a fantastic show. Londo and G'Kar were easily the best characters, with incredible performances and chemistry from Peter Jurasik and the late Andreas Katsulas respectively.

The Vorlons were also, for me, the best concept of a truly alien race I'd yet seen in sci-fi.

These are my feeling exactly, Londo and G'Kar were definately the best characters.

As for Enterprise, it sucked, except for the last serise which managed to turn the whole thing around magnificently, but alas too late. I was sorry to see it getting cancelled just as it got good, but frankly it was a miracle it lasted beyond season 2 and if it had been as good as the last season from the start (or even from the second serise, allowing for the enevitable shaky early season finding-its-feet) it would have lasted.

Well if you look at teh first one or two seasons of TNG, they were ****, but they stuck with it and it became the Golden Age of Trek that allowed DS9 to be made and the unfortunate VOY. Enterprise wasn't great, it was pretty and the 3rd and 4th seasons were awesome but the first two did too much damage.

Chaos and Evil
16-12-2007, 19:33
Well they were running on a shoe string budget compared to stuff like Star Trek. I remember the set design crew getting praise for exactly how much they managed to wring out of the money they had for props and sets etc. OK BSG is good and everything but they probably had more money for the first season of BSG than B5 had for the first 4.

Kahadras

BSG is also on a comparatively tight budget (As compared to Trek).

However BSG can make their cash go a bit further by not having all those prosthetic aliens in every scene (B5 was notable for the ammount of extras in full make-up/prosthetics, they almost never just went with a bumpy forehead with their designs, unlike Trek).

Additionally, there's been a decade of advances in CGI... and I'm sure I don't need to elaborate on just how far CGI has progressed since B5 premiered, how much cheaper it is now, and just how much more bang you can get for your buck.

Karhedron
16-12-2007, 20:54
Err.

Only after B5 did it first. :p

At the end of season 3, ratings were dipping and the network said that they were going to cancel the show after season 4.
So they had to re-write the storyline to compress the 2 season-long Shadow War into one season.
Of course, season 4 was go good that the ratings were huge and mid-way into the season, the network said they wanted to do the 5th season after all.
That's why season 5 is a bit of a letdown. It was written very quickly and rushed into production.
There is a bit more to it than that. JMS always intended the shadow war to end in mid season 4, it would only have lasted 2 or 3 episodes longer otherwise. What would have lasted longer was the Earth civil war. Season 4 was originally intended to end with "Intersections in real time" (the one with Sheridan being captured and tortured). Personally I think that would have made a pretty good cliff-hanger.

Season 5 would then have had the conclusion of the civil and the foundation of the ISA seguing more smoothly into the fall of Centauri Prime.

Season 5 was also spoiled due to a careless Blackpool hotel staff member. :eek:

Every year, the biggest convention in the B5 calendar was the Wolf 359 event in Blackpool UK. In 1997, the entire cast turned up at the end of Season 4. By this point, JMS had just found out that the studio had renewed the show for season 5 and had several weeks' worth of notes, storylines and scripts with him that he was working on. On returning to his hotel room at the end of the convention, he discovered that the overzealous cleaning staff had thrown away the whole lot.

The rewriting and panic this caused the schedule did nothing to improve the quality of the first 4-5 episodes of season 5. Add to that the double-whammy of losing both Marcus and Ivanova, two of the show's more entertaining character's.

Xisor
17-12-2007, 11:05
Whoop.

Have to issue another vote for B5 being toppermost amongst sci-fi. Indeed, short of selected episodes from the entirety of Doctor Who and Star Trek, it's easily a winner.

That is: B5 almost never (for me) had bad episodes. Some were lesser than others, but none were that bad. Doctor Who suffers by having absolute tripe now and again, and Trek just has week points and mind numbingly bad decisions in places.

Babylon 5, on the other hand? Awesome. Top knotch story telling. The acting wasn't always on top form (though Molari and G'Kar, as others have already said, truly dominate definitive sci fi acting), and some of the scripts themselves were a bit clunky, but the length of it all...compelling.

Then again, I only did start watching it in November/December 05 (2nd year uni) on recommendation from a friend. Truly epic stuff.

I mean, to put this all in perspective: it's the only sci fi to have made me properly cry[/i].

(Y'know the bit...there's an explosion...)

[b]In support of Enterprise

I wasn't at all enamoured by the first three seasons, but season four sealed the deal for me. Season four was, excluding a fair few episodes here and there in other Star Trek series, the quintessential Star Trek. Excellent Vulkan stories, halcyon adventure like TOS, great mirror universe stuff, ROMULANS. All the good stuff. And Shran was brilliant too. But the point is the finale was guff. So it deserved to die, but at least we got a great fourth series out of it.

It's still not much compared to B5 though. I can't even quite pick out 'favourite' B5 episodes either...the whole thing was good.

(To compare the 'best' of B5, think of the best of the rest too:
- City on the Edge of Forever (ST:TOS)
- Far Beyond the Stars (ST:DS9)
- Blink, Human Nature/Family of Blood (S'3' Doctor Who)
- Dalek (primarily Eccleston's acting), Empty Child/The Doctor Dances (S1 Doctor Who)
- Girl in the Fireplace, Impossible Planet/Satan Pit (S2 Doctor Who)
- Firefly... generally...it's just kick-ass...
- A whole ton of episodes of remade BSG...
- You get the idea)

Morathi's Darkest Sin
17-12-2007, 12:11
Hehe, aye I love this show, probably my fave Sci-fi offering of all time, alongside Farscape and Battlestar at the very least.
I also have the Universe box, and my love has lead me to get A Call to Arms and the CCG, which I have around 90-95% of the cards (Still looking for the odd rare).

Even now every so often I just have to watch the series through, its excellent stuff and yes I agree with the many calls as G'Kar and Londo being the stand out performances. Long will Andreas be missed.

emperorpenguin
17-12-2007, 12:50
I mean, to put this all in perspective: [b]it's the only sci fi to have made me properly cry[/i].

(Y'know the bit...there's an explosion...)

It made me cry at that bit too but also during "Interludes and Examinations" in season 3. One minute I'm punching the air in joy as the Vorlons kick crap out of the shadows at last only to be in tears as they kill off the one character I felt would never die!

Wintermute
17-12-2007, 18:06
]
(To compare the 'best' of B5, think of the best of the rest too:
- City on the Edge of Forever (ST:TOS)
You are aware of the direct link between this episode and B5? :p

SonofUltramar
18-12-2007, 09:20
Well i'm a huge fan of Sci-Fi stuff and while I enjoyed Seasons 2-4 of B5 I have to say I would have to give the besy Sci-Fi award to DS9, its just awesome (with the exception of some Kira episodes) whereas B5 lost my interest in Season 5 and I didn't like Sinclair which put me off Season 1?

Enterprise was pretty dire but I thought Seasons 3 and 4 were starting to turn it around. The same is always true of most Sci-Fi where Season 1 is pretty bad in places, Season 2 gets better and Season 3 onwards is the good stuff. Problem with Voyager and Enterprise was that neither got going until Season 3 which really didn't help as their reputation was built by that point?

New BSG is also up there for me as I really liked the original as a kid but the new one is so much better in every department, pitty its ending soon.

Favourite thing about B5 was the space battles set to music as it just made it seem grander somehow:)

Dargon
19-12-2007, 07:16
Add me to the list of Babylon 5 fans.:D

Sure the acting wasn't great, the special effects were from the dawn of CGI, and I still cringe at half of B5's attempts at comedy, but...

No series I've ever seen (sci-fi or otherwise) has managed to do epic storytelling as successfully as B5.
* B5 didn't just plant seeds to one big thread event to come, there were usually multiple grand schemes going at once.
* Characters were literally transformed by events - Londo and G'kar's journeys were particularly poignant.
* Characters were helpless - other shows allow the characters to heroically save the day, in B5 the events were generally just too big for the characters to achieve more than personal victories, even when they found themselves in positions of power.
* The Shadow's - these guys were truely scary and remained scary the whole way through, even after their departure. Same can't be said of the Borg once Voyager was through with them.
* There was always that sense of inescapable inevitability. Prophecies were foretold. Plans were set in motion, and nothing was going to stop them coming to pass. It was like getting a chance to watch history play out before your eyes and being powerless to stop the terrible events from occurring. Tragedy at it's finest.

Just a thought...

Sai-Lauren
19-12-2007, 12:16
B5 can continue without Dr Franklin and G'Kar. JMS has already stated he would not entertain the parts being played by any other actors.

Or as the first disc of The Lost Tales put it, they've gone travelling beyond the rim.

G'Kar's journey was one the finest pieces of writing I've ever seen and Andreas Katsulas' performance was superb.

With him and Biggs gone, there aren't many B5 main cast left...
Erm, unless something's happened recently, only the two of them have died, everyone else is still alive, and likely to appear in more of the Lost Tales at some point - the next one is around Garibaldi IIRC, although whether we'll ever get an Ivanova one is anyone's guess.

Icarus
19-12-2007, 14:13
I've got to say im very skeptical about the Lost Tales. The first one I thought was rather poor, especially for JMS. Unless there's a sudden increase in quality I think its a bad idea to spin out the B5 universe this way. There were so many unfinished storylines in B5 he could have easily followed up on one of these, rather than coming up with a couple of short, rather bland stories.

Now if he did something involving the Telepath War, with Lyta, Garibaldi and Bester featuring... now that would be awesome!