PDA

View Full Version : The Harlequin God & Eldar

Big_Bear_Scot
19-09-2005, 00:21
I was just wondering, as the only surviving Eldar Deity(who is still whole) what kind of protection does he afford to his followers from She Who Thirsts ?

I have read a few things that say an Eldar who become a Harlequin does not wear a soul stone because his soul is under the protection of Harlequin God. When the Eldar dies the Laughing God will trick Slaanesh and steal the soul away from her.

If this is the case why do no other Eldar apart from the Harlequins worship Him ?

Kage2020
19-09-2005, 01:00
That's the question.

Incidentally only the Solitaire is defined as being 'required' to be rescued by the Laughing God, not all Harlequins.

For me? Clerics. 'Nuff said for roleplayers! ;)

Kage

Khaine's Messenger
19-09-2005, 01:20
what kind of protection does he afford to his followers from She Who Thirsts ?

"Not a lot."

If this is the case why do no other Eldar apart from the Harlequins worship Him ?

Because Cegorach is not on par with YHWH (omniscient, omnipresent, etc.) or any other "Abrahamic" deity. The Big C might have a huge ledger and back-log of people to save, things to do, but its capacity ain't infinite, and bearing the whole Eldar race in his hands would be a bit much, especially as he's supposedly fled into the webway to escape the direct predations of She Who Thirsts. 'sides, if Cegorach helps those who help themselves, the Eldar are sure as sure being helped by the Trickster as long as they keep their infinity circuits and world spirits truckin' along....

Karhedron
19-09-2005, 19:32
Cegorach (the Laughing God) can save any Eldar who becomes a Harlequin and dedicates themselves to his service. To understand why all Eldar do not become Harlequins it is important to understand what this sort of dedication entails.

Each of the Eldar gods represented an aspect of the Eldar psyche. In the case of Laughing God, it is the sardonic and the cynic. To dedicate themselves to Cegorach requires an Eldar to deny the rest of his personality and become an embodyment of Cegorach.

An Eldar who dedicates himself to the Laughing God in this way is protected against Slaanesh because he has purged his psyche of all the hedonistic impulses. In dedicating himself wholly to a frame of mind that is totally opposed to self-indlugent pleasure, he has denied Slaanesh any purchase on his soul when he dies.

Of course deny all aspects of your personality bar one is a pretty drastic thing to do. It is like preventing cancer by amputating most of your body. That is why more Eldar do not become harlequins, it requires dedicating their whole existence to a single concept, something that is pretty hard to do.

Kage2020
19-09-2005, 23:28
An Eldar who dedicates himself to the Laughing God... [dedicates] himself wholly to a frame of mind that is totally opposed to self-indlugent pleasure...
You sexist, you! ;)

Seriously, though, that ties quite closely into the 'shamanic' approach to deities/spirits, does it not? (Back to Clerics yet again...)

Kage

Jaq Draco
20-09-2005, 00:34
i didnt know it was complete adheration to cynicism and a sardonic viewpoint of living

Kaoslord
20-09-2005, 09:12
That makes a lot of sense... I remember reading about the performance of the "Dance Without End" or something like that, the harlequins chronicle of the Fall. It describes the Laughing God not as mirthful, but as "Laughing because he chooses not to cry".

Laughter without pleasure.

Even the Eldar, with their fear of She Who Thirsts, must have some difficulty denying pleasure entirely.

Captain Brown
20-09-2005, 15:23
Big_Bear_Scot,

If you can get your hands on White Dwarf 105 there is a very revealing story about Harlequins and the Eldar mythic cycle that describes the Fall and the fate of the Eldar.

Unfortunately due to our rules on posting GW material I cannot post it, besides I do not have it in electronic format and have no desire to type the five pages or so that made up the article (the article was explaining Harlequins and their role in Eldar society as the caretakers of Eldar history).

In a nutshell the article says that the Laughing God continues to hide from "She Who Thirts", possibly in the WebWay, or somewhere else. So the Eldar protect themselves with their soul stones and these are placed in the Infinity Circuit after they fall.

Captain Brown

Jaq Draco
22-09-2005, 12:18
we knew about the soulstones and what they do

but tell me, in all the images and models of harli's do they have soulstones?
well i know the solitare doesnt because well he's special

Inquisitor Engel
22-09-2005, 22:45
but tell me, in all the images and models of harli's do they have soulstones?
well i know the solitare doesnt because well he's special

The ones I have have stones ON them, but I don't recall them being in the chest, which seems to be a necessity for waystones/soulstones. I have always seen it as a simple dedication, in the same way Chaos' followers dedicate themselves to their gods.

The Laughing God gets that soul when it dies, as the soul is already 'earmarked.' Other Eldar don't have this luxury because any God they might dedicate themselves to upon death exists as a part of Slaanesh.

Aspect Warriors who die still have their waystones, as to Exarchs in the current fluff. Farseers simply turn to crystal, although there's no indication that their soul joins the rest upon their death (And don't forget they to wear waystones in case they die too soon!) ...

Kage2020
23-09-2005, 13:24
...but I don't recall them being in the chest, which seems to be a necessity for waystones/soulstones...
I find no overt 'fluff' reason for this. Rather it seems more like the chest is a rather large expanse of 'blank territory' for sculpting, rather than something like the face where detail may otherwise be obliterated. Ergo it is a modelling convention rather than anything else.

Kage

Sai-Lauren
23-09-2005, 13:39
Farseers simply turn to crystal, although there's no indication that their soul joins the rest upon their death (And don't forget they to wear waystones in case they die too soon!) ...
IMO, they would join the infinity circuit in the craftworld. After all, they have effectively become one with it physically.

Cheitan Shadowless
23-09-2005, 13:44
IMO, they would join the infinity circuit in the craftworld. After all, they have effectively become one with it physically.Agreed. The turning-to-crystal is effectively the process of integrating the body into the wraithbone structure of the craftworld, and so I think it follows logically that these seers join the Infinity Circuit as well.

Kage2020
23-09-2005, 13:52
Missed that bit. The 'fluff' from WD127 explicitly states that the soul of the crystallised Farseer joins with the rest of the Infinity Circuit.

Kage