PDA

View Full Version : What to get next for a Steel Legion army?

Dvalin
19-09-2005, 06:24
Hey folks;

I recently acquired the Steel Legion troopers off a retiring 40K player, and am rather scratching my head on where to go and what to get next for it. I can write out all sorts of best-case scenario IG lists (an all-infiltrating light infantry army, a fully mechanized army, so on), but rounding out the army I received to those tends to be mildly spendy. What I've got is as follows:

Listing:
32 Steel Legion Riflemen
5 Steel Legion Grenadiers
4 Steel Legion Plasma Gunners
6 Steel Legion Missile Teams (2 men per)
4 Steel Legion Lascannon Teams (2 men per)
1 Steel Legion Heavy Bolter Team (2 men per)
2 Steel Legion Lieutenants
2 Steel Legion Commissars (proper SL commies, even -- gas masks on 'em)
6 Steel Legion Sargeants

2 Hellhounds
1 Leman Russ
1 Leman Russ Demolisher
1 Griffon
1 Chimera
2 Lascannon Sentinels

7 Kasrkin Riflemen
1 Kasrkin Grenadier
1 Kasrkin Flamer
2 Kasrkin Meltaguners
2 Kasrkin Plasmagunners
1 Kasrkin sargeant

10 Tallarn Roughriders with Cold Ones for mounts

It's a fair bit, all said, but a touch scattered over the place. The first weaknesses I see is a relatively low number of special and heavy weapons for the Steel Legion troopers, as I'd like to have more grenade launchers and bolters. Missile launchers, while good against medium armor and MEQ, aren't as good against the heavy armor or TMCs I routinely face -- so they're of limited use by comparison with the lascannons I want to pile up on.

There are, of course, some personal preference issues that come to bear as well. While looking over the roughrider stats makes it clear that they're a good one-shot assault unit, I don't really care for the whole men-on-horses-in-scifi thing. Similarly, I can't help but see giving a plasma weapon to a Guardsman as basically dooming him -- which means that I vastly prefer other special weapons. Normally, that wouldn't be too much of a problem -- meltas and grenade launchers are both nifty, after all. The problem, though, is that the Steel Legion models only have plasma rifles and grenade launchers available -- no flamers or meltas in existance.

Anyway -- any suggestions on what to get? What style to play? Color schemes?

TitusAndronicus
19-09-2005, 06:37
Oh good lord I wish I had that force! Only thing I can see I'd want is maybe some melta's as special weapons. Shove em out front and let em rip!

How you gonna paint em?

Oh, buy a couple of chimera's. You can switch em out as a mech force then.

Dvalin
19-09-2005, 07:07
Without doing grenadiers to cut down the number of squads, I'd need an additional four chimeras to field a fully mechanized force -- mildly spendy as an immediate objective. It's definitely on my long-term list, but I keep eyeing more grenade launchers first -- mostly because there aren't any melta models for Steel Legion. What I've considered doing is getting some of the Forgeworld Elysian weapons kits and doing some conversions, but that comes out to rather a bit of change per melta. Know of any decent, cheaper meltas that don't require too much hacking?

Jo Bennett
19-09-2005, 08:40
there are space marine metal meltaguns that are about GBP1 a pop, or find a space wolf players and scavenge plastic ones from them.

Dvalin
19-09-2005, 16:05
Ooh -- thanks for that one, Jo; I'll have to get some of those for experimentation.

Also, Titus -- on painting, I'm debating between a grey scheme (ash waste) or a dark green (swamp) theme.

Scythe
19-09-2005, 18:05
Know of any decent, cheaper meltas that don't require too much hacking?

You could try the Chaos Iron Warriors meltaguns. They come separate in metal, and have that nice skull. Not much Chaos icons, so little work.

Brother Othorio
19-09-2005, 18:15
the iron warriors meltagun is rather nice, but Jo Bennets idea is probably the wisest: the plastic meltagun that comes on the space wolf accessory sprue actually comes on the vanilla marine accessory sprue aswell now (and on the command squad sprue) so it shouldnt be to hard to trade or beg for some

boogle
20-09-2005, 19:58
i would go down the Chimeras Route with some more Sentinels added at a later date as mobile HWs

TWB
20-09-2005, 20:12
I'd like to see that assembled as a basic army list . . .
I notice there is no armageddon pattern Basilisk.
I'm currently toying with adding a conscript squad or two to my force, maybe using Necromunda ash nomads.
I was also thinking of including a squad or two of Ork Hunters, technically Armageddon troops, I think They'd look quite neat if I used them as Hardened Veterans.

Get Chimeras, Steel legion without Chimeras is criminal.

boogle
20-09-2005, 20:14
would you use the proper AOH unit lists?, that would be cool

TWB
20-09-2005, 20:18
Nope, just Hardened veterans, I'm not a fan of the Armageddon list in the codex (why should WE get stuck with ratlings?) so I could use a spare doctrine point or two.

boogle
20-09-2005, 20:22
I meant the Armageddon Ork Hunters units that were in WD?

Captain Brown
20-09-2005, 21:33
A simple fix for the Melta Guns is taking the Plasma Gunner and drilling a hole in the barrel. Take your Marine Melta Gun and cut off the end bit (Cylinder with the grooves in it) add a pin and then you can alternate between Plasma or Melta at your discretion.

boogle
20-09-2005, 21:40
the only problem with that is the top of the Plasma Gun would have to be filed down

Inquisitor Maul
20-09-2005, 22:14
Sentinels!!! Get some sentinels!!! :D

Dvalin
21-09-2005, 05:29
To give a very quick rundown of what the current list looks like, using what I've got:

Command platoon with two attached heavy weapons squads, Sentinel detachment;
Infantry platoon with two infantry squads
Armoured fist squad in multilaser Chimera
Two Hellhounds
One squad of Rough Riders
One Demolisher
One Leman Russ
One Griffon.

Mind, this list is for points maximization -- it comes to around 2,000. The army I got, though, is really short on heavy and special weapons, so I'm going to end up having to snag those first. My initial objectives will be additional lieutenants to give me more variety in platoon options (read: so that I'm not forced to field an armoured fist squad), additional heavy bolters (5) and lascannons (2) and then some grenade launchers.

I must admit that idea about filing off the plasma rifle's tip and pinning on the tip of a meltagun is absolutely ace -- completely sidesteps the headache of carving out the entire plasma rifle. A little bit of greenstuff over the plasma rifle ridging and all is well, then. Thanks for the idea, Captain Brown!

Scythe
21-09-2005, 07:40
A friend of mine converted some flamers from steel legion models using the sergeants. He cut of the arms (which is easy to do with the sereants, unlike the troopers), and used the plastic cadian flamer (which comes with arms). He cut the shoulder plates away, and it looks quite decent. Could do something simular for a meltagun.

Marty D
21-09-2005, 16:01
scrap the griffon in the list and go for a heavy weapons platoon kitted out with lascannons

not as big a target as a sentinel and a bucket load more lascannons
a bit pricey though since they're metal

im thinking from a cadian point of view - lovely plastics
mind you - steel legion are beautiful models, i wish GW would make them in plastic
but not for a good few years yet, like how many? 10?

Dvalin
21-09-2005, 16:14
I'm almost certainly not going to field the Griffon -- have to use Forgeworld rules for it nowadays, after all. What I'll probably do, instead, is get another Russ for use when I do mechanized or semi-mechanized Steel Legion; my other thought, with a light infantry company, is to field a heavy weapons platoon, as y'said. The idea of nine infiltrating lascannons is a happy one. ;)

It's worth noting that the list posted above was mostly just to give an idea of how it all falls into a force org, trying to maximize useage of what I've currently got.