PDA

View Full Version : Sons of Horus WIP [Heresy 2000pts]

Wazz
17-12-2007, 05:17
Hi there!
I recently started my Sons of Horus army, it's set in time just after Istvaan III. However not entirely following the story as in the heresy books - inspired by them.

First up, the army list. Feel free to comment and give suggestions - I've gone over this list several times but there might be things i can improve or change:

Horus The Warmaster (abaddon's rules)

First Captain Ezekyle Abaddon (Chaos Lord)

Powerweapon, combi-bolter
Mark of Khorne

Justaerin Terminator Squad Primus (10 astartes)

Falkus "The Widowmaker" Kibre (asp. champ)
2 Heavy flamers
Icon of Nurgle

Justaerin Terminator Squad Secundus (5 astartes)

5 Terminators
1 Heavy flamer
Icon of Tzeentch

Justaerin Terminator Squad Tertius (5 astartes)

4xDual Lightning Claws
1 Heavy Flamer & Lightning Claw
Icon of Khorne

Flavius Tactical Squad (8 astartes)

Titus Caltor (asp. champ w. Powerweapon)
1 plasma gun
Chaos Glory
Rhino

Catulus Tactical Squad (8 astartes)

Decimus Vibius (asp. champ w. Powerfist)
1 Flamer
Chaos Glory
Rhino

Malleolus Devestator Squad (5 astartes)

2 Heavy bolters
Chaos Glory

Land Raider Aculeo

total: 1985pts
(will add something later)
Justaerin squad Primus and Secundus will deep strike and Tertius will be transported in Land Raider Aculeo.

Wazz
17-12-2007, 05:23
Justaerin Squad Tertius
I've been working on squad Tertius most recently, I made the legs longer and the "gap" between legs and torso larger - they do dwarf an imperial guard now! =)

There's still tons left, but this is the direction I'm heading. Feel free to comment!

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/4105/soh17dec07008an4.jpg
The Squad (not done, but in the right direction i think)

http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/6615/soh17dec07002nt7.jpg
Astartes #1 (squad leader)

http://img128.imageshack.us/img128/5526/soh17dec07004hr8.jpg
Random Astartes, not sure about his helmet?

http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/8212/soh17dec07005fh6.jpg]
Only Astartes with collar done, what do you think?

Wazz
17-12-2007, 05:27
Tertius again (stupid 4-pic limit) + Aculeo

http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/7155/soh17dec07009vp9.jpg
Size comparison

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/5817/soh17dec07014pq1.jpg
Aculeo, not a pretty ride (redid the heavy bolter mount, tracks on top, going to add old-style sponsons and lots and lots of work... will be done in a year or forty thousand)

bloodlust
17-12-2007, 06:56
Those terminators are epic in size. I really like what you've done with the shoulderpads, definately fluffy but also your own. The list itself is very terminator heavy but seeing as you seem to be going more for a mixture of playability and story its your choice. I'm sure you know but Land Raiders are generally bad under 3000 points. I have 2 and they never see play :(

cyprus01
17-12-2007, 07:29
i quite like the models but not so sure about the armylist i thought the sons of horus were undivided but you seem to have a all gods army.but its your army and money so its up to you.

Wazz
17-12-2007, 07:56
Thanks for the comments!

Regarding the chaos gods thing: From some texts i read about the Horus heresy (not the books) Sons of Horus worshiped all of the chaos gods and Horus got the benefits of each - same as Abaddon.

There won't be any difference in the models just a banner with the mark of the god...

*Spoiler alert*
When Horus was dying it seems that Nurgle was the one saving his life, hence the big 10-man unit will be nurgle (also, T5 terminators are a lot more like real terminators should be!)

Also, regarding the army being terminator heavy - yeah, Sometimes I want to change it so that it's more a legion feel to it (lots of "tactical" marines). But then again, terminators are my favorite troop type... it's a hard nut to crack, but i might be aiming for 3000-4000pts, and the rest will be mostly tactical squads! (for now this'll be my tournament army)

Anyways, thanks for the comments, and yeah - the land raider is usually bad, but it's such a good opportunity to convert a pre-heresy land raider =)

cyprus01
17-12-2007, 08:00
when you say dying do you mean death or darvin because it was a combination of godsw on darvin that saved horus.

Wazz
17-12-2007, 08:04
Ah yeah, that's what i meant

True, don't really know why i thought it was nurgle... just some underlying wierdness ;)

Still, I'm concidering removing the marks and adding 4 terminators to Justaerin Squad Secundus.... making them 9+abaddon

cyprus01
17-12-2007, 09:05
i know why because the guy who almost killed him was a servent of nurgle tembar was his name

Wazz
17-12-2007, 11:48
Feels like it's more then that though, the serpent and all that - feels a bit nurgle-ish somehow... oh well, back on topic

Ridicule
17-12-2007, 12:22
Looks really good! As a IG player I'm not looking forward to playing against this but.. :P
I'd truly like to see that army with 3000-4000p ;)

cyprus01
17-12-2007, 12:27
which serpent you takeing about?

Lord Commander Erus
18-12-2007, 08:30
which serpent you takeing about?

Probably the Lodge of the Serpent wherein Horus was taken and healed on Davin. It would make a little sense to have the 10 man guys be nurgle.. However.. I think you worry a bit too much about finding a fluff hand hold where you really need not try...

This army is in pure speculative territory, so don't worry so much about it and enjoy it! I myself would make the 10 man Khorne, because Abbadon is described as being so prone to insane rages. Yet my take is no more or less valid than yours, and both have equal justification...

Something that might work nicely is to take GS, or PC, and add small rivets to the shoulder pads. If you can find the tiny ship building pins (ala Dave Taylors Custodes.. I'll see if I can find a link) those might work well. It would help make the shoulder pads 'pop' a little more.

Might also consider a thin band of GS or PC stripping around each of the edges, again to make the lines a little crisper and help the shoulders snap into focus... You don't want much there.. But 85% of the time, the most detail in a marine (chaos or imperial) is the face/torso... So, small unique tidbits in the upper half of the body to draw the focus there will help you in the long run.

Looking forward to more updates!!! I rather like the one helmet your 'not sure of'... Though it reminds me of Pre-Heresy Death Guard. What or how did you do that one?

Wazz
18-12-2007, 10:50
Ah yes exactly!
Sorry for the late reply, but:
Yes, I was thinking of having Abaddon in the 5-man assault squad (Tertius) but there isn't enough room in the land raider :\

I could however remove all the marks on the terminators and add another 5-man squad, maybe an assault squad? or I could upgrade Justaerin Secundus to 9-man... Not sure.... Toughness 5 terminators from a gameplay point of view should be hard as nails....

Then again, The armylist is somewhat... not settled in stone :)

Also:
The models are still WIP and you suggested I have been thinking about for a while - and i agree! I was thinking of a way to make those studs, as i need lots of em for my "gothic" heresy armours!

Regarding the helmet, it's from the old chaos warrior sprues - it does remind of the DG terminators - but it'll conflict with the "mouthpiece" (collar)
I'll try to work around it, maybe using cut down mk8 helmets?
I hope I can post an update later tonight with lots of juice pictures :)

Also, I've started working on Horus, he'll be about a head bigger then the justaerin i think, and i really have to make him justice - otherwise a Horus army would be pointless!

Well, cheerios!

Lord Commander Erus
18-12-2007, 10:58
Ah yes exactly!
Sorry for the late reply, but:
Yes, I was thinking of having Abaddon in the 5-man assault squad (Tertius) but there isn't enough room in the land raider :\

I could however remove all the marks on the terminators and add another 5-man squad, maybe an assault squad? or I could upgrade Justaerin Secundus to 9-man... Not sure.... Toughness 5 terminators from a gameplay point of view should be hard as nails....

Then again, The armylist is somewhat... not settled in stone :)

Also:
The models are still WIP and you suggested I have been thinking about for a while - and i agree! I was thinking of a way to make those studs, as i need lots of em for my "gothic" heresy armours!

Regarding the helmet, it's from the old chaos warrior sprues - it does remind of the DG terminators - but it'll conflict with the "mouthpiece" (collar)
I'll try to work around it, maybe using cut down mk8 helmets?
I hope I can post an update later tonight with lots of juice pictures :)

Also, I've started working on Horus, he'll be about a head bigger then the justaerin i think, and i really have to make him justice - otherwise a Horus army would be pointless!

Well, cheerios!

I thought I recognized the helm! I may have to see if I can track some down! I am glad to hear my suggestions were taken well! I find that small, lightly done circles/discs of GS will work wonders for the studding, as well pieces of PC tubing cut down to size and the hollow middle filled in with a pinch of green stuff.

This might seem a bit convoluted, but it likely the easiest and cheapest way to produce a lot of the studs quickly! As for the banding... Take plasticard and heat it over a filament (not one of the energy savers of fluorescent, one of the old school bulbs) or in hot water (per D_C/synapse). This will allow you to bend the strips into place, and viola... Instant armor banding! Or, if your handy with GS, you can always use some of that too!

I'll check in later for those pics.. But good work!

R3DM0H4WK
24-12-2007, 01:09
absolutely brilliant mate im currently doing a sons of horus army with horus leading it and yours are looking sweet for the shoulder guards on the termies i used the storm shields :D im gonna be checking in on this for definate, hope to see many updates peace out!

angels of awesome
24-12-2007, 03:12
i cant wait to see one painted! what sort of green are they going to be?

Wazz
24-12-2007, 12:09
Well, the terminators are going to be black in accordance with the books (I was hoping they'd be green, but alas. no)
The normal troopers will be... kinda ocean green... or emerald green... or pale green:
These are all colors i am considering:

http://www.egem.com/WEB_PIX/Emerald.jpg
http://images.exoticindiaart.com/saris/pale_green_chiffon_sari_va08.jpg
http://www.brookforge.co.uk/images/products/tiles/unglazed/pale-green.jpg
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gsnowdon/180998291/
http://www.eyescry.com/images/tote_horus_green.jpg

The risk of having a pale green is that the color looks too much like nurgle... :x

An update also:

I've ordered RTV silicon so I easily can sculpt one set of shoulder guards and cast several of them (So I don't have to rush all 20-25 of them) and just take time doing one, and do as many of it as i like!

I'll have to wait though as the holydays sucks (everyone's on "vacation" and so is the company I ordered from)