PDA

View Full Version : Godsmack

New Cult King
17-12-2007, 08:30
Even though I am not a huge fan of Wicca or the majority of lyrics (which are incredibly angsty) I can't help but really like Godsmack. Some of their lyrics are ripped directly from other sources (a line from The Enemy: "You're a living inspiration for what I never wanna be" comes straight from A Perfect Cicle's Judith: "You're such an inspiration for all the ways I would never, ever choose to be"), but dammit they have some hella catchy tunes, and the acoustic version of The Spiral off The Other Side is phenomenal. I have to say that I am a fan.

But... all appreciation aside, I have a question for fellow Godsmack fans. In the song "Mistakes" there is a sample being played in the background; it sounds like a black politician or preacher, and part of the speech goes "It's because of the corruption in the human heart..."

This line really appeals to me. I am something of a spiritual person, but my job (as police radio dispatcher/emergency calltaker) exposes me to the worst of the worst in people... this makes it hard for me to try and find a mid-point between my beliefs and the reality of my job. Anyway, my question is: Can anyone tell me where this line comes from? Who is delivering this speech? Can you please point me to the whole thing?

Google (surprisingly) isn't much of a help here, so I'm relying on the gestalt wisdom of Warseer to help me out.

Jomee
17-12-2007, 11:58
Google just gives me links to Godsmack. I'll try to listen to the tune when I get home from work. I also like that type of backing vocal, I used to listen to a lot of House music and quite a few tunes had a similar hook to the one you describe.

nightgant98c
26-12-2007, 19:07
I can't answer your question, but I wanted to say that although they aren't the most original band (even their name was made up by someone else) they are actually very good musicians, and they have found a style that they do very well. They don't get the credit they deserve. See them live if you get a chance.