PDA

View Full Version : Genestealers&telepathic control

IceFire
19-09-2005, 12:51
genestealers are a nid/human hybrid right? so could they be controlled by a powerful enough human (or other) psycic?
If so, would other nids be able to be controlled?

Sikkukkut
19-09-2005, 13:01
A genestealer hybrid is part-human and probably could be controlled by a psyker whose talents leant that way, although it would be a big ask: you'd have to break through the steel-strong brood telepathy to get a free tilt at its mind, and hybrids have considerable mental and psychic toughness in any event, with high proportions of active psykers in their numbers. A big, big ask indeed.

Purestrain 'stealers are a form of Tyranid, and again, the first issue with controlling a tyranid would be the fact that you're pushing your own little human willpower into the Hive Mind, an exercise that puts me in mind of someone trying to turn back Hurricane Katrina with a little desk fan. Even if you can separate a Tyranid organism from the Hive Mind, I wouldn't be assigning the job of control to any psyker I wanted to keep - there's a passage in the old Epic Hive War supplement that describes a Primaris psyker trying to conduct a seance on an abandoned Deathspitter, only to become one component of a messed-up miniature hive gestalt and try to kill Inquisitor Kryptman. On the one hand, that was a relatively weak psyker who was unprepared for what he was getting into; on the other hand, it was a deathspitter, a low-level weapon-symbiote. If that's what that can do, imagine what one of the higher-order 'nids would be like to control :eek:

IceFire
19-09-2005, 13:25
Purestrain 'stealers are a form of Tyranid,

So would a non-purestrain genestealer be easier to control, assuming they are on a planet far far away from anyother nid activity?

Sai-Lauren
19-09-2005, 13:47
Well, the Ultramarines Chief Librarian (Tigurius?) seems to be able to at the very least tap into the hive mind signals (which I think we can assume genestealer telepathy is at least related to), and both interpret what they're going to do and (more importantly) keep his mind intact.

But to actively influence anything within that network, you'd probably have to be The Emperor, or at least of a similar psychic power level.

Wiseman
19-09-2005, 13:54
id say it would be nigh impossible to do, the psychic chittering of bugs would send the psyker mad before he could do anything

Sikkukkut
19-09-2005, 14:23
So would a non-purestrain genestealer be easier to control, assuming they are on a planet far far away from anyother nid activity?

A non-purestrain 'stealer is by definition a hybrid produced by infected or hybridised hosts from another species, thus the previous comments about hybrids extend to them as well.

Khaine's Messenger
19-09-2005, 14:24
There is an Inquisitor who carries around an eldar genestealer hybrid as a psychically dominated henchman...check out the short story entitled "The Elucidium." However, he can't control it when he's asleep...so he generally keeps it locked up rather tightly. Purestrain 'stealers would be unlikely psychic puppets, though...their brood intellect alone would be a pain in the **** (of course, the brood mind of a GSC in general might be somewhat hard to crack). Psychically dominated Nids in general are iffy, but do-able if you're willing to take the risks of screwing around with Tyranid brain architecture or battling the Hive Mind....

ankellagung
19-09-2005, 15:05
Also, Genestealers aren't technically 'Nids are they? Or has that changed with newer fluff?

Sikkukkut
19-09-2005, 15:36
Around the time of the original Space Hulk the Genestealers were a non-technological warrior race with an odd reproductive cycle that tended to hitch lifts on other species' transports. They were integrated into the Tyranid species round about second edition, when there were references to the Hive Fleets deploying broods of purestrain Genestealers as shock-troops. Apparently the 'stealers get sent ahead of the main Tyranid forces to infiltrate and weaken the ecosystems and civilisations the 'nids will be fighting (a tactic that Hive Fleet Kraken emphasised). Their strongest single infestation was of the moons of Ymgarl which had led the Imperium to believe, falsely, that the species had originated there.

Brother Othorio
19-09-2005, 16:22
actually stealers were integrated into Nids with Advanced Space Crusade i believe, which came out in 1990 (3 years before 2nd edition)

IceFire
19-09-2005, 16:34
interesting. so Genestealers arn't neccesarily human hybrids? could they could potentially steal the genes of any species they come across?
(i apologise if this is really basic background nid stuff ive just never really read anything about them)

Brother Othorio
19-09-2005, 16:44
yup, there used to be an Ork-Stealer Hybrid mini ~ which had seemingly was abolished from the fluff, but apparently the new Tyranid Codex has Inquisitor Kryptman deliberately creating an Ork-Stealer cult so as to pull a hive fleet away from the Imperium

IceFire
19-09-2005, 19:41
did it work? or did the imperium have to beat off the hive fleet with the space marines?

Wiseman
20-09-2005, 00:50
it hasnt come to fruition yet, the nids are on their way to an ork empire as we speak (if we were to be speaking in the 41st millenium)

Brother Othorio
20-09-2005, 01:45
well thats not quite true, it HAS diverted the fleet thereby buying the Imperium time to build up its defences which was the primary goal, the outcome really remains to be seen: will the Hive Fleet in question be destroyed by the orks? if not then the biomass gained would mean the Hive Fleet the Imperium eventually faces will be greater than it would have been had the plan not gone ahead.. would the Imperium be prepared to help the Greenskins to prevent the Hive Fleet winning? (the fluff about the Imperium using Blood Axe mercenaries isnt as deeply buried as the Ork-Genestealer Hybrid fluff was, so who knows? a battle report in WD a few years back said that one of the Eldar Craftworlds Farseers had forseen that 500 years hence ALL races will be united in a crusade to reconquer the galaxy from the Tyranids, maybe this is where it starts?)

Jaq Draco
20-09-2005, 01:53
but the thing is, the fluff wont progress much

we arent going to see wh41k anytime soon

which sucks because i for one would like to see some progression

Spectre
20-09-2005, 02:50
I think a human psyker trying to get control of a genestealer would be akin to hacking a unix network from the windows comand prompt box...

I have a hard enough time trying to get differnet versions of windows to network... unix just gives me the jiblies.

I'm pretty sure a human psyker would get inside the genestealer's mind and be all like "Ahhh! wtf! No GUI! ... does this thing come with a mouse?"

Jaq Draco
20-09-2005, 05:23
and then the psyker gets the blue screen of death.

back on track

since the genestealers have prolly been evolving for much longer (in the nids home universe) before humans got their psychic talents, it would prolly be more of a case of the strength of the talents of the genestealers in regards to telepathic control

i.e. you couldnt see a human psyker controlling a generic eldar could you

IceFire
20-09-2005, 12:10
since the genestealers have prolly been evolving for much longer (in the nids home universe) before humans got their psychic talents, it would prolly be more of a case of the strength of the talents of the genestealers in regards to telepathic control

In that case could a strong psycic Eldar controll them?

Jaq Draco
20-09-2005, 13:17
possible, but it would have to be an isolated brood, and a rather small one, because i think the effort required to control one homicidal killing machine would be quite large, so any more than one, im thinking snowballs chance in hell

Brother Othorio
20-09-2005, 17:07
i.e. you couldnt see a human psyker controlling a generic eldar could you

admitedly rules and fluff dont always agree, but i dont recall generic eldar militiamen/carpenters/taxidrivers being impervious to human psychic powers in any edition of the game, so i would say YES i could, quite easily

IceFire
20-09-2005, 22:43
so what about somthing bigger? like a nid warrior. would that be harder or the same difficulty?