PDA

View Full Version : Speeding

blacksmith
19-09-2005, 13:41
In england, how tolerant are the police if they just happen to catch you in one of their less than visible speed traps? How fast is too fast in a 30 limit if you all get what im saying?

Sai-Lauren
19-09-2005, 13:59
First, you shouldn't. No matter how good a driver you think are, you'll come unstuck eventually.

That out of the way, speedos are only accurate to about 10%, and I read somewhere that unless there's basically another reason for them to pull you over - from things like brake lights to orders from the chief constable trying to crack down, they'll generally give you another 3 MPH on top of that to make certain. So 37 MPH in a 30 would be speeding for an officer in a car.

The cameras aren't as tolerant, and IIRC, it's a straight 10% for them.

But to answer your question, 33 in a 30 shouldn't see you getting pulled over or snapped by a camera, but if you're doing that, then you should have time to quietly drop down to 30 anyway.

Scanno
19-09-2005, 14:56
well, was it the police or one of the private companies? They're much less generous, being out to make a profit, as they are.

Crazy Harborc
19-09-2005, 17:59
The high pole mounted cameras are poping up all over this area and likely the rest of the USA as well. IMHO, the plan is to get large numbers installed and working, then start sending out the photos with speeding tickets enclosed.

Gee, less need for police/highway patrol with the cameras snapping all those speeders photos. Will you get a photo/ticket for one, two three or more miles per hour over the limit?? With all those cameras instead of patrol cars, how long will it take to get help and traffic control to accident scenes? Will it come because a camera "sees" the accident??

tzeentchgiant
19-09-2005, 20:21
Look at it this way 33mph and you're chancing it, if your license is worth something to you don't make a habit of it, and at least be a bit sensible on the roads.

Drive safe ;)

TG

Geetarman
19-09-2005, 20:29
well, was it the police or one of the private companies? They're much less generous, being out to make a profit, as they are.

There aren't any private companies that can stop you and fine you for speeding, only the police.

And as mentioned anything over 33 is starting to get dodgy. But a police officer in a car can only fine you if they have camera equipment in the vehicle, even two officers can't do anything about your speeding unless they have equipment to back up their accusations.

Gman

EDIT
You also need to be very careful within the first 2 years of driving in the UK, if you get caught twice (or get 6 points through any other means, speeding is 3) then your busted back to learner! :eek:

Luke
19-09-2005, 20:37
me and my mates have a solution. our number plates are all abuot 4 inches wide so when we go tear arsing around the cameras cant pick up the numbers. touch wood, never got a ticket but been flashed enough, also, we know where the buggers are on our usual hooning-routes so we can avoid them/slow down/whatever

:D

yeah, erm. speeding is bad. ive had mates killed on motorbikes doing stupid ****. the way i see it, they knew it was coming, even i admit i could end up dead one day because of it.
still, whats life without a bit of a thrill?

tzeentchgiant
19-09-2005, 20:38
And as mentioned anything over 33 is starting to get dodgy. But a police officer in a car can only fine you if they have camera equipment in the vehicle, even two officers can't do anything about your speeding unless they have equipment to back up their accusations.
True, and my mates friend scanned a guy doing 160mph (traffic policeman) down a road, but due to the nature of the machines they use, the speead has to be "clocked" indicating it is the cars speed they are mearuring, not them spinning the laser around.

The guy was dodging all over the road, so the could get him, he slowed down when the traffic got busy, they got out, and told him he was one lucky son of a bitch, he would be in jail for a while for that speed, and also that had they daught him, they would have broken the British recorded record criminal speed.

TG

lord_blackfang
19-09-2005, 20:44
yeah, erm. speeding is bad. ive had mates killed on motorbikes doing stupid ****. the way i see it, they knew it was coming, even i admit i could end up dead one day because of it.

Nothing wrong with risking your own life.

But only low-lives of the worst sort would endanger other people. Reckless driving on a public road would fall in this category.

Luke
19-09-2005, 20:58
i am a great rider. nuff said. ive survived three years so far, though ive started to calm down a bit. i tend to wear my bikes out real fast. i mean, i getthrough engines like tissue paper and dont even get me started on gear boxes

but sometimes, it isnt enough. speed doesnt scare me any more. neither do near misses. this is why we do it, to try and get a thrill we cant get from everyday life

(sigh, if you wanna hear my sob story, feel free to ask at nsr_dude@hotmail.co.uk)

lord_blackfang
19-09-2005, 21:02
i am a great rider.

You and every poor sob I've seen splattered over 50 feet of asphalt.

i tend to wear my bikes out real fast. i mean, i getthrough engines like tissue paper and dont even get me started on gear boxes

but sometimes, it isnt enough. speed doesnt scare me any more. neither do near misses. this is why we do it, to try and get a thrill we cant get from everyday life

What is it you do, exactly?

athamas
19-09-2005, 21:04
what get me wound up is motor way driving... the speed limit is 70...

so if im doing 70 in the fast lane of a dual carrige way, dont try and make me go faster!

and undertaking me is a bad idea....i will make you obey the law if i have to speed up abit, so you can undertake me, then slow down next to a car doing the correct speed!

may sound alittle silly, and if they are determined they get past me, and i will only do this on fairly clear roads in safe driving conditions, but i feel it is my duty to make ppl obey the speed limit!

Luke
19-09-2005, 21:11
What is it you do, exactly?

you know, going to a forgotten lane with a bunch of mates and pulling wheelies, endos, burn outs....
the usual stuff.

either that or get stoned and laugh at each other

starlight
19-09-2005, 21:21
As a former Paramedic I can say with absolute assurance:

Speeding = total [Censored] ***** :mad:

Here in BC we recently deported two people convicted of crimes related to street racing. One of the cars lost it, *drove* down the sidewalk and killed a lady.

*Great* operators don't speed, the two are mutually exclusive.

Sadly, when people act like asses in public, they don't limit the damage to themselves, they usually kill other people as well.

If you want to race, hit the track. If you do it in public, you deserve whatever happens. :mad:

Luke
19-09-2005, 21:46
i apologise

speeding is stupid. i deserve to die.

DONT SPEED EVER kids, its f*kkin stupid and you will probably kill yourself. ive had 2 mates killed by speeding and its not funny. so dont do it.

starlight
19-09-2005, 21:52
Hey, what happened to the other post?

Very few people *deserve* to die. Speeding isn't one of those *death penalty* sorts of crimes.

Speeding *in public* IS stupid. If you want to speed, find someplace private (race track/abandoned air field) and race until your eyes bleed. Just don't do it where innocent people can pay the price.

When I was in the military, we did all sorts of stupid things, but always with the knowledge that we would only risk ourselves. Heck, I've had all six wheels of one of these off the ground, but never with anyone else inside!

http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/lf/English/2_0_7.asp?FlashEnabled=1&uSubSection=7&uSection=5

If you want to be stuipd, fine, just don't take anyone with you!

Hywel
19-09-2005, 23:17
and undertaking me is a bad idea....i will make you obey the law if i have to speed up abit, so you can undertake me, then slow down next to a car doing the correct speed!

A few more upstanding citizens like this should get road accidents up to a better level.

Moral high ground doesn't count for much when it comes to accidents or charges for inciting road rage.

TWB
19-09-2005, 23:20
May I remind Posters of the Legality of some of the activities they are discussing.

Starlight thankyou for reminding others that there are consequences to such actions, and mostly bad ones.

Alco Engineer
20-09-2005, 00:25
I speed occasionally but less than10% and I've decided to cut down since I got a ticket. What bugs me is when I'm doing 80km/h and there's a guy sitting within a metre of my rear bumper. How stupid can you get? I'm on the limit and he's riding my A$$. Absolute stupidity.

And if you do write yourself off. Think of anyone else involved. Not just someone you also injure but what about your family, the person involved who isn't hurt. The person that finds you. The ambo that scrapes you up. Killing yourself though speeding is stupidity. And it will cause lasting effects on all of the people I've just mentioned.

I remember 1 mate who got done for speeding down a 50 zone doing 72. He was just rolling down a hill in neutral (trying to save petrol) and the car coming the other way was a police car. He was annoyed because other guys at school had been telling him how they were doing 50k/h over on the highway. I told him that sure you weren't going as fast. But what if a kid had run out. You wouldn't have been able to stop at that speed and you would have taken them out. Then you could've been going to Gaol. The guys that were speeding on the highway, the odds that a kid would run out is much less so what he was doing was in no way less dangerous than them IMO.

And Luke, even if you're doing it in forgotten alleyways, what if people around there know they're forgotten too and walk out into you speeding up there and you take one out. Just think about this sort of $hit before you do it.

Wiseman
20-09-2005, 00:36
speeding is stupid, if ya gonna do it, find an abondoned road somewhere to do it,where no one will get hurt

Shadowheart
20-09-2005, 01:26
Traffic is death. There's the daily practice of polluting the air and driving over animals whose natural home had a road put through it in the first place. And on top of that, people have the gall to be reckless and openly invite death for themselves and bring it upon others.

As far as I'm concerned no tasteful person would enjoy driving a wasteful and ugly vehicle like a car in the first place. But if you're going to do it at the very least don't risk the lives of those who have no wish to die on account of traffic. Try to appreciate the luxury that the advancement of technology and disregard for the world and its future has brought you. Speeding limits are a mild inconvenience compared to what rules there ought to be.

Ouroboros
20-09-2005, 03:02
Just match the other traffic.

It's probably the safest and most sensible thing you can do given how some people don't pay attention or seem to wait for any excuse to tailgate you.

On my daily morning communute there's a straight stretch of road you could probably land about a doezen 747s on at the same time and it's capped at 50kph. Yep everyone knows that's ********, even the cops that regularly pass me.

athamas
20-09-2005, 07:36
thats the problem i see..

if you try to stick to the limit on some roads, every one over takes you....

going with the flow is all well and good, but its breaking the law.. and i would prefer not to do it!

simonr1978
20-09-2005, 09:42

I don't know whether anyone else has picked up on this since I haven't read the rest of the thread, but I'd just like to point out that quite often in road accidents people that are killed or injured are not the offending driver. They might have known the risk they were taking but what if they lost it going too fast round a bend for example and killed a child or any other innocent passer-by?

Drive responsibly, not to to get your kicks.

If you want to drive for a thrill go to a race track or hire some private land where the only ones you're going to hurt are yourself.

santiholgado
20-09-2005, 10:31
thats the problem i see..

if you try to stick to the limit on some roads, every one over takes you....

going with the flow is all well and good, but its breaking the law.. and i would prefer not to do it!

The flow is not constant, not every car rides at the same speed. However, I find much more dangerous a car at 80kmph in a 120-limited highway than the one at 140kmph. Specially in Spain (where I live) where most people drive usually in the middle lane, rather than in the right.

Many people think they're the best riders, and that they control the car. I've gone with some people at 150+ and they think they control, but you can see how poor drivers they are when they have to take a curve or overtake someone, so I've never gone with them again. I have tried going those speeds in teh past and I know that I can't control correctly the car, so I've never tried again, and whenever some one speaks about it I don't have any problem telling them where my limits are. Not keeping safety distance is very dangerous as well, and most of the people out there think they will brake in time whenever.

Hywel
20-09-2005, 10:58
The flow is not constant, not every car rides at the same speed. However, I find much more dangerous a car at 80kmph in a 120-limited highway than the one at 140kmph. Specially in Spain (where I live) where most people drive usually in the middle lane, rather than in the right.

I absolutely agree. People drifting along well below the speed limit are a menace on the motorway. Caravans, lorries and so on are visible from a long way off and you can plan your driving better, but when some old dear is chugging along like she's driving a milk float you can get caught out very easily.

Not to mention the traffic congestion a handful (or even just one) of them can cause which leads to all sorts of motoring joy.

Sai-Lauren
20-09-2005, 10:58
i am a great rider.

You and every poor sob I've seen splattered over 50 feet of asphalt.

Exactly, you know what paramedics and casualty staff call bikers?

Organ donors!

No one is as good a driver/rider as they think they are, even Michael Schumacher - supposedly the greatest driver in the world - has broken his leg when he got it wrong at Silverstone a few years ago (and add up all the accidents he's walked away from as well), and how do you think Markko Martin feels right now?

Speeding *in public* IS stupid. If you want to speed, find someplace private (race track/abandoned air field) and race until your eyes bleed. Just don't do it where innocent people can pay the price.

I agree, on the streets, drive like your own child may suddenly walk across in front of you. :eek:

Scanno
20-09-2005, 11:06
Have to say I have nothing but contempt for people who recklessly speed.
People here are saying "go to a quiet backroad if you want to speed".
Don't.
I live on one. There is nothing more terrifying than walking down the road after a late bus home with only a torch to alert people to your pressence when some utter muppet in what used to be a honda civic comes around the corner at 150kph. I nearly got run over last winter by a pug 206 driver (with spoiler, skirts and alloys, of course), when he lost control and ended up in the ditch I had gone into to avoid his speeding.
As for speeding on a bike and claiming you're a great driver, one piece of cow ***** on the road (not all that uncommon on backroads), and you're a dead man.

Praetorian
20-09-2005, 11:38
Here is a principle to go on--- you are a fine driver (no doubt), everyone else is a homcidal maniac idiot :evilgrin: ... so get defensive.
Driving the set speed limit is to give you time to react to these loons.
(Yup, another ex-EMT/medic.) TOO MANY CORPSES- worse than a war, no kidding.
You may think you are being cool or whatever crap and cop an attitude- whatever man. There are plenty of great bikers out there too, but the SQUIDS ("squirly kids" no one has anything to do with) give them a bad rep. We loose a couple of them every summer in my town.
Get into a motorcross club or something you can get some jam out of. Hell, join the forces, that'd be a rush if that's what you are lacking.
Just show some respect for the normals out there.
I would guess that if there is nothing that can make an impact on you, you have a screw loose (as in psychopath).
I don't think anyone on this forum is gunning for anyone that makes a 2-3 mph/kph slip, its the thrill seekers that are the sad ones.

Geetarman
20-09-2005, 11:50
I must admit that on duel carriageways and motorways that are clear and that I know very well I do go faster than the speed limit, this is due to my belief that the current UK laws do not reflect accurately the advancements made on cars over the last few decades since those speed restrictions came into force.

However, the minute I get anywhere near houses I always observe the speed limit 100%, whether those roads are back roads or in the centre of town. Its all too easy to not pay attention and kill a child, and for me that risk is simply not worth the 'excitment' that people claim to crave.

Gman