PDA

View Full Version : PC on its last legs?

DaViEsW
19-09-2005, 13:41
Ok, the long and the sort of it.

I've noticed recently my PC, despite only being 18 months old start to act like it's about 10 years old. Games I used to be able to play doen't seem to run anymore (PES5, HL2 etc). They either just close down the moment I jump into the action, or run really slowly. Now throw into it that over the summer it's been overheating all the time (never done so once before). Now it's started rebooting for absolutely no apparent reason (not a heat issue, I've checked). I've scanned for viruses and found nothing, spyware/adware alike.

Ever since the problems popped up over the past few months I've been planning to buy a new one but don't really have enough money right now. Can anyone suggest a reason why all this stuff is happening?

Cheers.

Kargos Bloodspit
19-09-2005, 13:50
Use the defrag on your computer. Then go and have a look at updating all of your drivers.

Also try see if you can get a free copy of 'Sandra' (its a program that tells you about your computer's BIOS etc.) and try benchmark your system.

As well as check on your CPU to check on the fans etc.

Wiseman
19-09-2005, 13:51
spyware, viruses, to much junk on the hard drive?

x-esiv-4c
19-09-2005, 13:53
Bust out the defrag, I had the same problem.

Kargos Bloodspit
19-09-2005, 13:55
spyware, viruses, to much junk on the hard drive?

oh yeah, that reminds me, go look on your hard drive, and delete any files that are either old, or you dont need anymore.

Also, have a look and see how much of your hard drive you're using.

Get the beta of microsoft anti-spyware. Give that a go, found at least 100+ spyware that none of the others found on my computer.

Scanno
19-09-2005, 14:53
Yeah, the microsoft one seems really good. I had the same problem, so I eventually saved all that could be saved/backed up, and formatted the hard drive. Reinstalled the most uptodate version of windows. And a firewall. Very very important, and really really effective (Zonealarm freeware version)

lord_blackfang
19-09-2005, 15:36
Just junk on your drive. Hardware just... fails. It doesn't slowly deteriorate.

Format your drive, install a fresh version of XP, and all will be right in the world again.

x-esiv-4c
19-09-2005, 15:47
Format your drive, install a fresh version of XP, and all will be right in the world again.

best advice to give really.

grizzly ruin
19-09-2005, 16:57

I agree, reformat your harddrive and reinstall XP

Kargos Bloodspit
19-09-2005, 18:26
Theres no need to go so zealous on the fixing. A simple defrag will do for now. If that dosn't work, THEN format.

Penitent
19-09-2005, 20:21
If you ask me, it sounds like your computer's power supply may be going bad. Don't just take my word for it, here's what PC Gamer has to say about symptoms of a bad power supply:

What are the early signs of PSU failure?

"...A fading PSU may create all manner of crashes, random shutdowns, and intermittent refusal to power up. This is often the result of the output voltage falling out of specification."

If your comp isn't receiving enough juice, your graphics card may not be receiving enough power to run games like HL 2.

Go ahead, and do the easy stuff, like defrag your HD. If that fails, reinstall Windows. If problems persist, I'd consider PSU replacement over spending the money on a new PC.

DaViEsW
19-09-2005, 23:01
I really appreciate all the advice. I'll defrag tomorrow when I'm not as tired.....now where did I put those reformat disks......crap.

Cheesejoff
20-09-2005, 15:52
The CCleaner program is good for clearing up HD space. But you should probably reformatt as already suggested.

Captain Brown
20-09-2005, 17:37
I have kept my PIII 800 going for ever (regular checking of the drives and removing unwanted programs and squatters - spyware crap)...sadly it was damaged in the move to the new place by one of my friends (cracked the screen) so it is time for an upgrade.

Scanno
21-09-2005, 11:18
just buy a new monitor, unless you've been looking for an excuse to upgrade anyway.

hairyman
21-09-2005, 14:22
Whoever suggested you might have a wobbly power supply, I'd be inclined to agree. Had similar problems with an old incarnation of my current machine.. new power supply fixed all that.

DaViEsW
21-09-2005, 21:10
Ok, I'm writing this on borrow time (literally)

She seems to freeze up after 10 minutes each time I turn it on now...have to manually reboot and the same thing occurs.

I hate technology.

Kargos Bloodspit
21-09-2005, 23:18
try and get "hijackthis" and run that and print out the findings here

as a last resort:
Run msconfig.exe, and into the startup tab, uncheck everything. Then restart your computer (dont worry, it'll only start up what programs are necessary [at least according to Anseur and we can trust him... right? :D]). Maybe keep the antivirus checked though.

KingNic
22-09-2005, 09:25
Actually try grabbing Gnoppix (google it). It's a version of Linux that lets you boot from CD - so you don't have to install everything. Then you can see if it's just your windows install that's buggered up or if it's hardware related.

Kargos Bloodspit
22-09-2005, 11:35
Actually try grabbing Gnoppix (google it). It's a version of Linux that lets you boot from CD - so you don't have to install everything. Then you can see if it's just your windows install that's buggered up or if it's hardware related.

hijackthis would be a better way at the moment. Its better to rule out the small things first, than start going for the big guns.