PDA

View Full Version : The Preciousss!!!

der_lex
18-12-2007, 18:48
According to theonering.net (http://www.theonering.net/torwp/2007/12/18/28150-peter-jackson-and-new-line-cinema-join-with-mgm-to-produce-%E2%80%9Cthe-hobbit%E2%80%9D/), Jackson and New Line have settled their legal issues, and a green light has been given to adapt The Hobbit in two movies...

If this is true (and it looks like it), I'm a happy camper...

theunwantedbeing
18-12-2007, 18:49
Adapt the hobbit in 2 movies?
To be honest....that sounds rather worrying.
I hope they arent planning to miss anything out, or change the story......*shudders*.

Although I'm sure they'll make gollum look better than he did in the lord of the rings films.....dobby the house elf looked far better for example.

I bet they make the Smaug look crappy though....

der_lex
18-12-2007, 19:00
As far as I know, Jackson has walways wanted to add some backstory from the Silmarillion and such (like the White Council vs. Sauron as the necromancer) so The Hobbit would tie into LotR a bit better. It would also make the story a bit more 'epic', I guess. I'm just happy enough that Jackson's doing it...LotR had its flaws, but I still can't imagine a current director that could do a better job.

Wonder who they'll get to play Bilbo, though.

The pestilent 1
18-12-2007, 19:25
Frankly, having had enough years to calm down from insane fanboy reaction mode ("My head knows that. My heart has intense shark-related reactions.") The Lord of the rings [films] are perfectly realised.

I tried reading Tom Bombadil again. I was ready to kill.

floyd pinkerton
18-12-2007, 19:32
hmm, ineresting. Cant wait too see them:D

superknijn
18-12-2007, 19:41
Am I the only one that sees a connection between this and the Led Zeppelin concert? ;)

silence
18-12-2007, 20:37
Great news, and the dragon is Smaug... should be great with the battle of 5 armies. I want to see how they do the trolls, and them turning to rock in the sunlight.

der_lex
18-12-2007, 21:06
Personally, I'm really looking forward to Beorn and the Beornings...

And, if they go for the White Council approach, more Christopher Lee as Saruman goodness.

PotatoLegs
18-12-2007, 21:16
Two movies?? :( Oh dear, if they're three hour epics each, I'll happily avoid them

Satan
19-12-2007, 05:13
IT'S TRUE!

Check www.newline.com for the press release!

Happy happy! Joy joy!

Aurelien
19-12-2007, 05:32
theunwantedbeing, what the bloody hell are you talking about, dobby was a giant steaming pile of doodies compared to gollum! I cringe everytime i see that sock loving little freak.

I've heard people saying that bilbo if the lotr movies is too old (totally forgotten his name :rolleyes: but I tihnk to myself, they just did Beowolf with some older actors player younger, so thats certainly a possibility to do it, and keep the great acting of...that guy.

I hope the two movies thing is just so they can do the story justice, without having to skip bits.

Dargon
19-12-2007, 05:38
For my part, this is the best Christmas Present I could have asked for...:D

A return to Hobbiton and Rivendel!
Trolls arguing and turning to stone!
The discovery of Sting and Glamdring!
Wargs and Eagles and Were-bears... oh my!
More focus on the Goblins (like those in Moria), instead of Orcs and Uruk-hai.
Riddles in the Dark my precioussses!
Mirkwood with Legolas' kin and hundreds of little Shelobs!
Erebor, the Lonely mountain and Laketown!
The Battle of Five Armies!
And of course... SMAUG!

Most of all, I'm particularly looking forward to seeing the Dwarfs take centre stage like the Elves did in Lord of the Rings. The Hobbit is the Dwarfs story. The loss of Erebor to Smaug's attack. Thorin's father captured by Sauron (the Necromancer) and passing his map on to Gandalf to deliver to his son. 13 Dwarfs (and a Hobbit)on a quest to slay the Dragon. And finally Dain and an army of fully armed Dwarf Warriors in full battle mode. YES!:D

The two-movie deal also holds alot of promise. Potentially getting to see the White Council in action will no doubt be spectacular - Gandalf, Radagast, Saruman, Galadriel, and Elrond demonstrating their true power against Dol Guldur. Potentially getting to see Saruman's fall from grace as he grows ever more obsessive over the ring will likewise be fascinating.

I'm betting it's the best present the suits at GW could have asked for too, and they're probably already planning how to make the most of it. This news will no doubt save GW's financial butt and allow the suits to pretend they are doing a good job for another few years.:rolleyes:

Just a thought...

redbaron998
19-12-2007, 05:51
YAY, I havent heard anything about this in so long.

I cant wait for it as book wise I enjoyed The Hobbit much more.

Also The Battle of Five Armies...DWARFS IN MASS (there were dwarfs there right?, its been along time)

That was the one thing I sorely missing in the LOTR films, there was only 1 dwarf....sad

Jedi152
19-12-2007, 09:58
I can't wait for this. For all it's detractors i loved the LoTR films and can't wait for more.

I haven't read the Hobbit since i was about 10, so i'll have to read it again.

Arnizipal
19-12-2007, 10:28
I cant wait for it as book wise I enjoyed The Hobbit much more.

I read it after the LotR trilogy and I must say getting through it was quite a chore. It's obviously a children's book (everything talks: trolls, purses, arrows, ...) which annoyed me quite a bit.

Still, I'm looking forward to what jackson will do with it.

DantesInferno
19-12-2007, 10:54
I've heard people saying that bilbo if the lotr movies is too old (totally forgotten his name :rolleyes: but I tihnk to myself, they just did Beowolf with some older actors player younger, so thats certainly a possibility to do it, and keep the great acting of...that guy.

Ian Holm.

Now here's hoping they get Sir Ian McKellan to play Gandalf again...

Aurelien
19-12-2007, 11:07
Thats the one!

Its only after you quoted my post that I saw how completly illegible it was. Sorry folks.

Hellebore
19-12-2007, 11:18
What I read indicated that it wasn't 2 Hobbit films per se, but 1 hobbit film and then a filler film set between the Hobbit and LotR.

Hellebore

The pestilent 1
19-12-2007, 13:15
What I read indicated that it wasn't 2 Hobbit films per se, but 1 hobbit film and then a filler film set between the Hobbit and LotR.

Hellebore

I had the same impression.
Other than Moria, what happened between The hobbit and Fellowship?
I'm drawing a total blank.

Oh, and the Fall of Dol guldur.

salty
19-12-2007, 14:14

Hellebore

From what I have heard (and people, I am explicitly stating that this is hearsay - I got it from a friend, who got it from a friend who has friends in the business) the filler movie will consist of information from a set of notes JRR Tolkien wrote down in preparation for another book, between Hobbit and LotR, which was never realised.

Salty :)

Wintermute
19-12-2007, 18:33
We already have a thread discussing the news of The Hobbit movies here (http://warseer.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2191761#post2191761). Therefore I'm closing this thread.

Wintermute
The WarSeer Inquisition