PDA

View Full Version : Starship Troopers Drop Ship Prototype

Brimstone
19-09-2005, 19:26
Mongoose have just unveiled their resin mockup of the Slingshot drop boat.

This is resin but the final version is plastic, you can see more pictures here. (http://www.mongoosepublishing.com/gallery/army.php?qsSeries=26&qsArmy=7)

Due out in January 2006 for 20/US$35.00

Griefbringer
19-09-2005, 19:29
Looks quite a big thing - at 20 it might be decent value for money.

mattjgilbert
20-09-2005, 01:42
Looks pretty nice. Quite a few of the bigger kits look good value. Especially if you can find somewhere doing a good discount on top (not wanting to advertise anyone in particular)

mattjgilbert
20-09-2005, 01:47
As an aside but SST related (I tried to PM you brim but I couln't...): Is this the forum for posting SST rules queries or should I stick to the Mongoose site?

KTG
20-09-2005, 04:11
But what are you going to do with it? Run around the house with it? It's useless for gaming purposes.

I know Mongoose is using Starship Troopers for its flagship product, but I can't help it but think they are going to drive themselves under producing models like this that frankly, not a lot of people are going to buy. . .

I am already over Starship Troopers. I hated the movies, haven't bothered with the cartoon or whatever that was, think the Marines are the most fun of the armies, already board of the bugs, and we wont get into the Skinnies.

They really need to pull a new alien race out of their butts to keep this game interesting, or it is going to nose dive in a year. Making dropships like this isn't going to help.

But yes, it is a cool model.

starlight
20-09-2005, 04:14
Looking forward to spending my (formerly dedicated to GW) money on some SST goodies. :D

worldshatterer
20-09-2005, 08:41
Why on earth is the Dropship useless for gaming purposes, people have been moaning for years about the lack of a cheap,generice plastic dropship for ANY sci-fi game .

Griefbringer
20-09-2005, 10:26
How come it is useless for gaming purposes? First off, it should make for a great piece of terrain (like the crashed shuttle pieces in Macragge box).

Then there is a lot of scenarios that could be built around it, I could come up with the following on top of the head (and I don't even play SST):

1.) Evacuate! Marines have run into tougher opposition that expected, and they need to make it back to the dropship to the heck out of the place.
2.) Something ain't working... there is a trouble in the dropship engine, and the marines need to protect it until the crew can repair it.
3.) Salvage. Dropship bearing some important cargo has crash-landed in rough terrain (too difficult for other dropships to land close by, like a narrow canyon). A marine platoon has to make it to the dropship on foot and take out the important contents. Some of the passengers of the crashed ship might still be alive, too.
4.) Death from above! Dropship makes a surprise landing - the marines are expected to dash out and nuke a few bugholes or capture a few samples of brainbugs and then make it away quickly before the bugs will have time to attack them with force.
5.) Force recon. The dropship and the passengers have a task to establish a safe landing zone by scouting out the area and cleaning up any opposition, so that other dropships can land safely.

mattjgilbert
20-09-2005, 13:14
To say it will be useless is a little harsh. The rules do have an air phase so you can actually use it. Plus it can be used for scenarios or objectives as stated.

Agree on the addition of at least another race or two though. I think that is on the cards though is it not?

erion
20-09-2005, 13:24
The dropships are also designed to provide supporting fire on the ground, as I recall.

Wolflord Havoc
20-09-2005, 14:37
SST has an air phase built into the core rules unlike certain other game systems which have a pretty hodgepodge 'air phase' bolted on by Forgeworld.

I agree that the game needs an additional race or two (Warning Digression in progress) and perhaps out caste humans could be one of these?

Auzu
20-09-2005, 22:10
I really like it ! it will work perfect for my colonial marinei army using space marine plastic scouts as colonial marines.

boogle
20-09-2005, 22:26
actually with a little tweaking, this could be a good substitute for a Valkyrie for a drop troop army

Griefbringer
21-09-2005, 13:04
I agree that the game needs an additional race or two (Warning Digression in progress) and perhaps out caste humans could be one of these?

I thought the humans as a race are already present in the form of marines - or are you thinking of some humans that have been isolated in space so long that they have become genetically distinct from the mainstream?

x-esiv-4c
21-09-2005, 19:21
looks pretty sweet! Not a bad price I suppose.

erion
21-09-2005, 19:59
Humans have four distinct lists.

Powersuit Platoons
Marauder Platoons
Light Infantry Platoons (coming soon)
Pathfinder Platoons (coming soon)

There is some cross-pollination, like taking marauder suits as upgrades in Powersuit platoons, but each has a distinct playing style.

Wolflord Havoc
22-09-2005, 10:12
Yes in the MI (Mobile Infantry) army list it does say on the first page that the 2 types of platoons (Powered Armor and Marauder suit platoons) represented are an Elite within the MI - A sort of Rapid Reaction Force - where as from what I can gather most of the MI is light infantry (like in the film).

I don't know if the MIs are getting tanks etc in the future???.

And Griefbringer - in the main rule book the Federation pulled back from a lot of Colony Worlds in the face of 'bug' aggression in order to ensure that what it did defend it could defend in strength and stopped further exploration as well. So I would imagine that certain colonies, religious communities etc (a planetary version of Waco) might not want to leave and would have to be forcefully removed by the MI (or attacked by the Bugs with the MI not coming to their aid etc) - so a renegade human list might be a resonable possibility.