PDA

View Full Version : Leman Russ

deathskullork
19-12-2007, 14:55
Just a quick question I was hoping I could get some help with. Why is the Leman Russ tank called a Leman Russ, to my knowlage he doesent sound like the kind of chap to sit down and design a tank, so was it named after him? And if so what did he do to earn it?

pookie
19-12-2007, 15:01
iirc Leman Russ was not always a Primach, he used to be a high ranked general in the Emperors army, the tank is named in his honour. ( plus it sounds better than a Horus(place other 17 primach names here) Tank..)

deathskullork
19-12-2007, 15:05
Wasent the leman russ created post heresy though?

pookie
19-12-2007, 15:19
Wasent the leman russ created post heresy though?

why would that affect the name of it?

imperial_scholar
19-12-2007, 15:25
It depends.. older fluff says Leman Russ designed it.
Others say (One of the Imperial Armours') says he Recovered the STC although disobeying orders to put the space wolves elseware.

Some say it was named after him because no other name could demonstrate how tough, destructive and rugged the tank is.

different13
19-12-2007, 16:59
I like the idea that he discovered the STC.

DartzIRL
19-12-2007, 18:31
Name a Big, Stubborn-ass hard to kill tank, after a Big, Stubborn-ass hard to kill Primarch... makes sense to me....

Especially if he found the STC...

Though, supposedly, Russes predate the Great Crusade, as variants (executioner) are mentioned as existing at that time. For variants to exist, so must the original

Xgladar
19-12-2007, 18:41
Name a Big, Stubborn-ass hard to kill tank, after a Big, Stubborn-ass hard to kill Primarch... makes sense to me....

Especially if he found the STC...

Though, supposedly, Russes predate the Great Crusade, as variants (executioner) are mentioned as existing at that time. For variants to exist, so must the original

Wait,so what did they call them before he was discovered?

"next primarch to come along tank"?

DartzIRL
19-12-2007, 18:46
well... it's all Fluff/... and Fluff is actually pretty inconsistant with the details... The pair may have been discovered at a similar time..., or it could've been renamed in honour later, having been known by a previous name..

the tank though, existed well before hand

grayghost
19-12-2007, 18:58
I like how you used the word 'chap.'

imperial_scholar
19-12-2007, 19:02
Wait,so what did they call them before he was discovered?

"next primarch to come along tank"?

SOB! I can't find where I got my information from. So thus... I could be wrong. I remember reading it somewhere.... I thought it was the forge world books but I can't find it :(.

Adra
19-12-2007, 22:39
Well it would not suprise me if they re-named it after Russ for some reason or another. Always something that i think GW would go back on if they could but cant now.

Nazguire
20-12-2007, 02:06
I prefer the idea of the Leman Russ tank being named after the Primarch just to demonstrate how much of a prick the thing is to kill. I'm sure there are other tanks and weapons in the Imperium named after other Primarchs (I'm sure more then one Land Raider or Vindicator has Dorn attached to their title) that we haven't heard about yet.

He wasn't that celebrated that only he would have something named after him.

imperial_scholar
20-12-2007, 04:28
I prefer the idea of the Leman Russ tank being named after the Primarch just to demonstrate how much of a prick the thing is to kill. I'm sure there are other tanks and weapons in the Imperium named after other Primarchs (I'm sure more then one Land Raider or Vindicator has Dorn attached to their title) that we haven't heard about yet.

He wasn't that celebrated that only he would have something named after him.

I don't think that's true at all... in fact during 2nd edition they made it seem like the Space Wolves were the only chapter doing any fighting. The 4th edition really shone the light on the Ultramarines. This is my opinion of course.

If I recall... the Space Wolves during the Great Crusade engaged in more missions than any other legion. Which was remarkable because the Space Wovles were the smallest legion (in size). During that time they accomplished many great deeds. Maybe I'm recalling too much 2nd edition fluff.... **sigh** I miss the good olde days of parry :P.

pookie
20-12-2007, 13:04
I don't think that's true at all... in fact during 2nd edition they made it seem like the Space Wolves were the only chapter doing any fighting. The 4th edition really shone the light on the Ultramarines. This is my opinion of course.

nah 2nd was all about the Blood Angels, although the Space Pups did get a bigger slice of the Pie in RT times, shortly before 2nd came out.

gab-skull trasher
21-12-2007, 00:35
i remember reading a space wolves page where it says that leman russ helped a planet and in exchange they build him the tank and named it after him.