PDA

View Full Version : Gates of Varl??????

Calgar
19-09-2005, 18:39
Im just wondering what the Gates of Varl is?

Who made them and why is it branded heresy to try to explore them?
In the Necron codex there is a story about a Tachno Magnus from Mars that is emprisoned and branded a heretic for expleoring them and trying to "enter" them.

just wondering. Cheers everyone

Karhedron
19-09-2005, 19:06
Nothing really is known about the Gates of Varl except that one (or possibly more?) C'tan lie beyond them. Based on the fact that we have heard the AM refer to them, it is likely that they are on Mars and mark the entrance to the forbidden portions on the Labyrithus Noctis (sp) where the Void Dragon is rumoured to be slumbering.

There are no hard facts though.

Kensai X
19-09-2005, 20:19
What's the Labyrithus Noctis???

susu.exp
19-09-2005, 20:49
Nothing really is known about the Gates of Varl except that one (or possibly more?) C'tan lie beyond them. Based on the fact that we have heard the AM refer to them, it is likely that they are on Mars and mark the entrance to the forbidden portions on the Labyrithus Noctis (sp) where the Void Dragon is rumoured to be slumbering.

There are no hard facts though.

The Gates of Varl are very probably not on Mars. They got introduced in 2nd Edition and letīs quote Mr. Chambers on that one:

The original Emperor of the Warhammer 40,000 universe, Rick Priestley, taught me an invaluable lesson early in my career. When you have a big, ever-expanding back story, it never pays to be too tidy with it. If you leave some plot threads unfinished and some enigmatic mentions unexplained you always have new elements to bring forward at a later date and players have plenty of material to bring into their own games if they like.

A good example of this is the C'tan. Back in the second edition Rick included a mention of the 'quiescent perils of the C'tan' nothing more than that, except that 'they lay beyond the gates of Varl.'

There was something which I always liked about that little phrase so I gleefully dropped other little mentions of the C'tan here and there with the vague notion of doing more about them one day, most notably the C'tan phase sword of the Callidus assassin and its mythic power to defeat any kind of armour or force field protection. To be honest I do this a lot and its one of the real pleasures of the ever-expanding Warhammer 40,000 universe when one of these seeds bears fruit.

Now, it makes good sense to put a reference to the earlier fluff in the Necron Codex. But the GoV are another "untidy" fluff point. Great for future developements. They could do a Necron summer campaign, based on them (Including the AdMech explorer list and a modified Necron list, for an army emerging from the gates). Or introduce the race thatīs doing to the Gates, what Cadia and Ulthwe do to the Eye of Terror, like maybe the Demiurg (why not?).
Or just ignore it for us to speculate.

Rabid Bunny 666
19-09-2005, 21:07
i think they are on mars, leading to the labrynth that leads to where the Dragon c'tan, or the omnissah (but they may be the same thing ;)) is

Khaine's Messenger
19-09-2005, 22:03
i think they are on mars

That'd be some bit of astrographical bungling, then....the Gates of Varl is labeled as such on the map of the Imperium in the 4th edition rulebook, and is near the "galactic north" of the galactic core, twelve-o'clock to the Maelstrom's nine. Of course, it's always possible there are "other" Gates of Varl, just like the word Praetorian can have so many different meanings....